By the time the T&T is finished, other canals will be under construction. The goal will be to connect the Upper Mississippi and Ohio rivers not just to the Gulf, but to the Atlantic. There will be several termini, including Brunswick, Ga., Savannah and eventually Charleston. Blockading them all will be a bigger job than just occupying Mobile Bay.

You're talking about bloody long canals crossing the Apallations. Is possible but is it practical? Also going to be very expensive so will need a lot of central government money, not to mention gaining control of the land.

As for the freedmen, the President and Domestic Affairs secretary will be quietly arranging land grants out west for those who want to get out while they still have their health.

Crafty. Since the US still has to conquer most of that then they could form a core of 'loyalist', unless they find they have more in common with the inhabitants.;) Or possibly Congress thinks they will largely get killed off.

Steve

Reading this it will be interesting to see how the civil war takes place in a few years. Louisianna has already established a precedent for succession and Britain has set the dangerous precedent of acknowledging break off states. This and the US has lost Louisianna which will be interesting for their expansion.

^^^^ Not to mention the legal precedent for secession the SC established.

An extensive series of canals connecting the south will probably really help them as well, since they won't have to rely as much on their (terrible) rail network.

If I may ask, what's happening in Europe at this point? I'm really interested in how the peace talks work out.

By the time the T&T is finished, other canals will be under construction. The goal will be to connect the Upper Mississippi and Ohio rivers not just to the Gulf, but to the Atlantic. There will be several termini, including Brunswick, Ga., Savannah and eventually Charleston. Blockading them all will be a bigger job than just occupying Mobile Bay.

I should have commented earlier. The T&T canal is probably impossible to build without modern earth moving equipment. The volume of dirt moved was, IIRC, greater than the Panama Canal, for much less effect.

It's a lovely idea, but absolutely impractical for the time. IMO.

You're talking about bloody long canals crossing the Apallations. Is possible but is it practical? Also going to be very expensive so will need a lot of central government money, not to mention gaining control of the land.

Bloody long, yes. Crossing the Appalachians, no. The main east-west artery of the network will be the Great Southern (referenced in the post about Randolph) which will connect Savannah, Ga. with Republicville, Alabama (OTL Jackson, Alabama). As for the cost, that's what the Second Bank is for.

I should have commented earlier. The T&T canal is probably impossible to build without modern earth moving equipment. The volume of dirt moved was, IIRC, greater than the Panama Canal, for much less effect.

It's a lovely idea, but absolutely impractical for the time. IMO.

Sounds like you're thinking of OTL's Tenn-Tom Waterway, which is an average of 300 feet wide and a minimum of 9 feet deep (in one place, there was a cut 175 feet deep). TTL's T&T Canal, by way of comparison (and I apologize for not mentioning this earlier — I meant to), is about forty feet wide and four feet deep. (To be precise, it's 12m wide at the surface, 8.4m wide at the bottom and 1.2m deep. As we saw at Gadsby's Tavern, the metric system is sinking its fangs deep into the brains of America's decision-makers.)

As the Erie Canal proved, this was doable even in the 1810s and 1820s. The T&T probably wouldn't follow the exact path of the Tenn-Tom, but as long as the highest point or points on the path had some sort of access to water, it could be built. If the Tenn-Tom website can be believed, people talked about it even earlier than this, but it wasn't built for a long time because, if you wanted to travel to the Gulf by water, we had a river for that.

Bloody long, yes. Crossing the Appalachians, no. The main east-west artery of the network will be the Great Southern (referenced in the post about Randolph) which will connect Savannah, Ga. with Republicville, Alabama (OTL Jackson, Alabama). As for the cost, that's what the Second Bank is for.

Sounds like you're thinking of OTL's Tenn-Tom Waterway, which is an average of 300 feet wide and a minimum of 9 feet deep (in one place, there was a cut 175 feet deep). TTL's T&T Canal, by way of comparison (and I apologize for not mentioning this earlier — I meant to), is about forty feet wide and four feet deep. (To be precise, it's 12m wide at the surface, 8.4m wide at the bottom and 1.2m deep. As we saw at Gadsby's Tavern, the metric system is sinking its fangs deep into the brains of America's decision-makers.)

As the Erie Canal proved, this was doable even in the 1810s and 1820s. The T&T probably wouldn't follow the exact path of the Tenn-Tom, but as long as the highest point or points on the path had some sort of access to water, it could be built. If the Tenn-Tom website can be believed, people talked about it even earlier than this, but it wasn't built for a long time because, if you wanted to travel to the Gulf by water, we had a river for that.
Yes I am, and yes, they excavated it deep and wide. True. But they also had to excavate huge cuts as I understand it.

The Erie is a massive piece of work, no question, but it is VERY flat, or rather has a very gentle slope. That is not at all the case with the T&T. Again, as I understand it.

BTW, do you have some links (may well not be on the Web, I know) for those earlier proposals? I'd like to take a look.

BTW, do you have some links (may well not be on the Web, I know) for those earlier proposals? I'd like to take a look.

So would I. All I could find was on history.tenntom.org. They don't talk about specific routes surveyed, but what they say of one proposal is "The study concluded that the U.S. Corps of Engineers could build such a project that included a total of 43 locks and a channel four feet deep; but, its commercial limitations made it impractical." To be fair, this was in the 1870s, when the nation could put a little more shovelpower into it, but notice that the problem is "commercial limitations" — meaning this piddling little canal would have to compete with the mighty Mississippi. ITTL, this cost-benefit analysis was knocked into a cocked hat by the foreign tariff collectors in New Orleans.

Again, this is not following the same route as the Tenn-Tom (and giving it the exact same length was a mistake which I will now go back and rectify.)
I actually gave serious thought to sitting down with Google Maps and charting out precise routes for all these canals, but it seemed to me that would be venturing into OCD territory. ("Dammit, Jim, I'm a writer, not a civil engineer!")

I actually gave serious thought to sitting down with Google Maps and charting out precise routes for all these canals, but it seemed to me that would be venturing into OCD territory. ("Dammit, Jim, I'm a writer, not a civil engineer!")
Heh, heh. Don't you love/hate Google terrain that gives you elevations and allows you to build reasonable railroads/canals - but then makes you feel guilty when you can't be bothered. :(:eek::)

Lycaon pictus

I would say its less a question of tariffs than the potential for access to the inland waterways of the Mississippi-Ohio being cut off from the outside world in the event of a war that didn't see Louisiana occupied very quickly.

Steve

So would I. All I could find was on history.tenntom.org. They don't talk about specific routes surveyed, but what they say of one proposal is "The study concluded that the U.S. Corps of Engineers could build such a project that included a total of 43 locks and a channel four feet deep; but, its commercial limitations made it impractical." To be fair, this was in the 1870s, when the nation could put a little more shovelpower into it, but notice that the problem is "commercial limitations" — meaning this piddling little canal would have to compete with the mighty Mississippi. ITTL, this cost-benefit analysis was knocked into a cocked hat by the foreign tariff collectors in New Orleans.

Again, this is not following the same route as the Tenn-Tom (and giving it the exact same length was a mistake which I will now go back and rectify.)

Lycaon pictus

I would say its less a question of tariffs than the potential for access to the inland waterways of the Mississippi-Ohio being cut off from the outside world in the event of a war that didn't see Louisiana occupied very quickly.

Steve

That too. Like Eisenhower IOTL, Madison and Adams are using "national defense" as an excuse to commit wanton acts of infrastructure.

The Canal and the Republic (2)
Once again, a shout-out to bm79 for expert advice.

The last act of the old provisional government — in large part the former state government — had been to order that a census be conducted. On October 2, 1815, when the first Assembly of the Republic met for the first time, the census had not yet been compiled, so the seats in the Assembly were apportioned according to the state census of 1810. Nonetheless, as the population of Louisiana was growing steadily, it became the policy of the Republic to hold a census once every five years, and to reapportion seats in the next Assembly accordingly.

Once Villeré and Destréhan had been named as President and Vice-President, the next major item on the Assembly’s agenda was to decide Louisiana’s immigration policy. This was vital to the future of the Republic — without immigrants the tiny nation would never prosper, and there were many Creoles still living north of the U.S. border, but the second-worst nightmare of every Assemblyman was a hundred thousand anglophone Americans moving into Louisiana, then voting to rejoin the United States. (The worst nightmare involved free blacks from Haiti moving in en masse.)

Ultimately the Assembly voted to limit immigration to 5,000 per year for the next ten years, and to place a five-year residency requirement on individuals applying to become citizens, with citizenship expedited to six months for those who were at least three-fourths white and showed proficiency in French… or (on the advice of British ambassador William Huskisson) who came from Great Britain.

Next, the Assembly set about planning and building a new home for itself. L'Hôtel de Gouvernement, where they were meeting, was aging, cramped and unworthy of a hopeful young republic. For the new seat of government, the Assembly chose the block across R. de Toulouse, between R. de Chartres and R. de la Levée[1], facing the Place d’Armes.[2]

The next question was who should design and build it. The competition came down to two choices — the architect and town planner Barthelemy Lafon, or the team of Arsène Latour and Hyacinthe Laclotte. Months of debate passed before the Assembly chose Latour and Laclotte. (According to some accounts, the defeated Lafon considered going into piracy before moving to Florida to assist Governor Raffles in planning and building the city of Trafalgar.)

While they were discussing plans for the new capitol building, the Assembly also discussed how to pay for it — which led, inevitably, to the issue of tariffs. How best to exploit the fortuitous geographic position of the Republic? In 1815, the Assembly voted to place a duty of 20 percent on all goods entering the republic from the United States or parts of the Spanish Empire, but none on goods entering from the British Empire. This decision would be revisited before the next election…

…J. Q. Adams’s famous speech in Alexandria, and his subsequent campaign, were studied with great interest by President Villeré. His rhetoric was chiefly aimed at Britain rather than Louisiana, and he made it clear that he had no intention of declaring war until the United States was ready to fight and win. Nonetheless, it was clear that there would be trouble from the north one day, although not necessarily next year or even next decade.

Along with news of the rising power of the “Dead Roses” came word of the groundbreaking of the Tennessee and Tombigbee Canal. Obviously, a 12-meter-wide canal could not possibly steal more than a fraction of the volume of traffic that the Father of Waters carried, and it would have to charge its users in order to pay off its own investors. Nonetheless, news of the canal was in its way even more disquieting than any speech by Adams or Monroe.

The government’s response? At the end of 1816, they voted to increase the tariff to 25 percent. The canal would not be finished until some time in the 1820s. Best, then, to make the most of the current situation…

…At first glance, the negotiations over the border had an element of farce to them. Whatever the governments might have claimed, the border country was in fact a lawless no-man’s-land inhabited by pirates, smugglers and the so-called “Redbones” — a tribe of refugees with white, black and Native American blood. These people held themselves accountable to neither New Orleans nor Mexico City, and certainly not to Madrid. In fact, since 1806 an area of unspecified boundaries mostly east of the Sabine had been declared “neutral ground” by the local commanders of the U.S. and New Spain, and this had worked well enough for ten years.

For two years, neither New Spain nor Old could be bothered to return to the question. The authorities in Mexico City were preoccupied with rebellion, and King Ferdinand VII was more worried about the French over the border and the liberals and constitutionalists within his own country. So, as a steady stream of Royalists fleeing Lanjuinais and the French Regency entered the Port of New Orleans, the Republic began, as quietly as possible, gradually extending its authority in the direction of the Sabine.

But early in 1817, a new government was installed in Mexico City. Calleja del Rey was recalled, and the king’s 23-year-old brother Francisco de Paula was named Prince-Viceroy of the land. The Prince-Viceroy, seeing the need to create the appearance of strength and mindful of Spain’s a long and proud tradition of symbolically claiming dominion over millions of square miles of land where its writ did not run, reasserted Spanish authority over all lands west of the Calcasieu, which the Spanish called the Arroyo Hondo.

Villeré’s foreign minister, the recent immigrant Hyde de Neuville, called upon the Republic’s British protectors to mediate the dispute. This put Huskisson in something of an awkward position, as Spain was an ally and its new government was loosening trade restrictions in those New World ports it controlled. Moreover, his government did indeed have a stake in the dispute — the Crown would not tolerate a pirate haven so close to a friendly port, and the government of Spain had proven itself incapable of policing the area. (On the other hand, many of the pirates were themselves Frenchmen with connections to Louisiana.)

So it was that Huskisson wrote back to London with a proposal. The Bank of England would loan the Republic 100,000 pounds sterling to simply buy the entire stretch of coastline. The new border would run northwest along the line of the Brazos to the 30th parallel, and from there along a straight line to the intersection of the 31st parallel and the Sabine River. Spain, which was still rebuilding after the Peninsular War while struggling to reconquer its New World empire, would lose a little ungoverned land and gain some useful cash. The tiny Republic of Louisiana would double in size at a stroke. Interest payments would make Louisiana a source of income for the Bank of England for many years to come. Everyone would win. Castlereagh, de Neuville, the Spanish foreign minister José García de Leon y Pizarro and Francisco de Paula’s right-hand men, Apodaca and Iturbide, all agreed to this.

Then it was simply a matter of conquering this new land for the Republic. The “Western Expedition,” as it was called, was commanded by the irreplaceable Major General Keane, accompanied by General de la Ronde of the “Grand Army of the Republic,” the Lafitte brothers (pirates themselves, but ones who could see which way the wind was blowing), warriors of the Chacta and Chicacha[3] tribes who had been displaced from the U.S. and were desperate for a new home, and Ambassador Huskisson, whose job (according to some historians) was as much to keep an eye on Keane as it was to keep an eye on the Assembly.

The only organized resistance to the expedition came at Galvezville on September 8, 1817, where Keane defeated and killed the pirate Commodore Aury. His fleet moved into the bay beyond, on which the Republic bestowed the official named of “Baie des Guérisseurs” in honor of Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, the Spanish explorer who had visited the area nearly three hundred years previously. (Cabeza de Vaca and the other survivors of his expedition had been believed by many of the natives to possess healing powers.)…

…By late 1817 and early 1818, it had become clear that the tariff was reaping rich rewards. Even with the loan from London to pay back, l’Hôtel de la République to build and the lost revenue from providing free use of the port to the Royal Navy, there was plenty of money left over. What to do with it? Ironically enough, it was this seemingly happy question that finally brought the serpent of party and faction into the Eden of Louisiana politics.

Bernard de Marigny, one of the Orleans representatives, argued that the money should be spent on public amenities — better roads, expanded port facilities, state-run lycées and a grande école, and so on. “New Orleans could become the jewel of the hemisphere, if we have the will and imagination to make it so,” said de Marigny in a speech to the Assembly which drew a standing ovation from many of his colleagues.

Jean Noel Destréhan, who spoke for St. Charles Parish, had a simpler answer, and one nearly as popular — cut taxes. He and many of his followers were of the landed, slaveholding gentry. The burden of the Republic’s property taxes fell disproportionately on them, and they were eager for an excuse to ease it.

After years of relative harmony, the dispute proved far more acrimonious than anyone could have expected. The breaking point came when Destréhan insinuated that the younger, high-living Marigny had ambitions to spend the tariff money personally on “gambling and loose women.” It took the intervention of several Assemblymen of both factions to prevent a duel.

President Villeré, his term nearly at an end, decided that this would be a good time to increase his prestige by putting forward a solution that neither side had thought of, but that both could agree to. His first thought was to use the extra money to pay back the debt to London a little faster, but Huskisson urged him not to do this. (The ambassador well knew that from the point of view of the Bank of England, debt paid off too soon meant lost interest.)

Villeré’s second idea was to place the money in a rainy-day fund in the Bank of Louisiana. Marigny and Destréhan agreed, however, that this would merely delay and compound the question.

Finally, the President proposed to split the money three ways — one part to go into the rainy-day fund, another part towards road improvement and establishing an experimental lycée in New Orleans, and one part to be returned to the taxpayers in the form of remittances. (This last was a stroke of genius — a tax cut would have been hard to reverse, whereas a remittance might or might not be granted in any given year.) Both sides, reluctantly, agreed to this on May 30, 1818, the last day of the session.

But the damage had been done. When the Assemblymen ran for re-election, they did so as members of the Radical and Conservative parties…
-Michel Beauregard, A History of the Republic of Louisiana

[1] OTL Decatur Street.
[2] OTL, but certainly not TTL, Jackson Square. (For those of you looking on Google Maps, Wilkinson Street doesn’t exist yet and ITTL never will.)
[3] Choctaw and Chickasaw

Lycaon pictus

Interesting. The republic gets a decent level of stability and vital increase in territory. The revenue from tariffs is going to be very useful but they need to avoid killing the goose by making levels too high. Also while they would probably offer Britain a lower tariff rate I doubt they would agree to a zero rate. At this point free trade was still a disputed theory and Britain like every other nation relied on tariffs for funding government spending. [One possible solution, although smuggling is going to be a problem, is a low tariff on British imports, which will make them cheaper for the citizens and a high one on re-exports to the US, but a lower tariff on exports from the US]. The latter is especially important if the tariffs on US goods include passing trade as very little of the exports would be consumed by the republic itself].

In the longer term, once presumably New Spain becomes independent, relations with Mexico will be important. Especially since by then the republic is likely to be getting crowded so possibly French speaking Catholics would be preferred to English speaking Protestants for helping to settle Tejas. Although by that time there will be one problem the republic has to consider, for good relations with both Mexico and Britain. When will it end slavery? Some time before Britain does but if still the main protector then the republic will have to think things over. Of course going free is going to make it even more unpopular with the local Americans.

Steve

Last edited:

amphibulous

Banned
As your original quote pointed out, a British controlled New Orleans is going to be a significant issue for the US. And for that matter, a hostile Cuba can really mess things up for the British New Orleans. This is definitely interesting.

Cochrane as an admiral will be interesting. Most people, even Brits, won't know who he is, but some of Jack Aubrey's ***less plausible*** victories are stolen from him. In fact some of Cochrane's victories would make JT Kirk rub his eyes in disbelief. If he's as good with a fleet as a frigate then he's arguably considerably better than Nelson.

He's also a Radical, btw. He's also very interested in technology and wants to stage vast poison gas attacks on French coastal towns....

Cochrane as an admiral will be interesting. Most people, even Brits, won't know who he is, but some of Jack Aubrey's ***less plausible*** victories are stolen from him. In fact some of Cochrane's victories would make JT Kirk rub his eyes in disbelief. If he's as good with a fleet as a frigate then he's arguably considerably better than Nelson.

He's also a Radical, btw. He's also very interested in technology and wants to stage vast poison gas attacks on French coastal towns....

From my readings about Cochrane, I don't think he was as good with a fleet as he was with a frigate; he could handle one like an artist, but he wasn't so good at dealing with the personalities of his senior officers.

He might be well placed commanding a squadron within a wider fleet, actually; then his admiral could help to keep the personalities under control, and Cochrane could use his squadron to create opportunities for the rest of the fleet to exploit.

In the longer term, once presumably New Spain becomes independent, relations with Mexico will be important. Especially since by then the republic is likely to be getting crowded so possibly French speaking Catholics would be preferred to English speaking Protestants for helping to settle Tejas.

Catholic Irishmen, however, might be perhaps be somewhat more palatable...

Besides, there's a lot more empty land to fill than just the new western district. The Republic at this time probably has a population of 120-130 000 (the 1820 census of the state gives 156 000, of whom no more than 20-25 000 would have lived north of 31°). 90% of these people lived along the Mississippi, Bayou Lafourche, or Terrebonne. The Florida parishes all together only have a few thousand people, and everything west of Bayou Teche is devoid of all settlement besides pirate camps.

Also while they would probably offer Britain a lower tariff rate I doubt they would agree to a zero rate. At this point free trade was still a disputed theory and Britain like every other nation relied on tariffs for funding government spending. [One possible solution, although smuggling is going to be a problem, is a low tariff on British imports, which will make them cheaper for the citizens and a high one on re-exports to the US, but a lower tariff on exports from the US]. The latter is especially important if the tariffs on US goods include passing trade as very little of the exports would be consumed by the republic itself].

At the moment they really are conscious of how dependent they are on the British for their independence. By the next session, the fires of gratitude will have burned a little lower and they may well consider something like this.

In the longer term, once presumably New Spain becomes independent, relations with Mexico will be important. Especially since by then the republic is likely to be getting crowded so possibly French speaking Catholics would be preferred to English speaking Protestants for helping to settle Tejas. Although by that time there will be one problem the republic has to consider, for good relations with both Mexico and Britain. When will it end slavery? Some time before Britain does but if still the main protector then the republic will have to think things over. Of course going free is going to make it even more unpopular with the local Americans.

Steve

Not to give anything away, but abolition in the British Empire will move a little bit faster ITTL. This will put Louisiana in an awkward position.

Just to let everyone know, the next update is going to be a little bit… dark.

Italy.

Let's just say there's a reason all those Italians are sailing across the pond for the chance to work alongside slaves digging big giant ditches in the hot muggy South.

A Very Scary Christmas
The scars left on the Italian soul by the so-called “Other Peninsular War” can be seen in many places. For example, nearly every home built in Italy in the 19th century has not only a basement, but a hidden sub-basement, excavated extra room, or sometimes just a largish hole chipped out of the bedrock. Although seldom used for anything but junk, these were originally intended for storing extra food.

In culture, the two dominant styles in Italian opera, poetry, painting and sculpture between 1820 and 1850 — the Neo-Pastoral style with its deliberate innocence and sense of reassurance, and the infamous trucescuro (literally “grim-dark”) style — both arose as a response to the horrors of the war. One fulfilled the need to forget, the other the need to remember.

Most of all, the war left a deep and bitter hatred in Italy toward all things Austrian…

Iliescu et al., A History of Ethnic Relations in Europe

December 20, 1816
5:30 p.m.
Cernobbio, Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia

Lake Como was frozen over. A heavy snow was falling on the Villa d’Este. At least it was in season, and white rather than rust-red, as it had been for much of the year.

Princess Caroline of Brunswick, the extremely estranged wife of the Prince Regent of the United Kingdom, looked out her window and wondered what the hell she had been thinking, returning to Italy. Not just returning to Italy, but returning to her estate. She could have stayed in Rome. Even now, she might be taking a carriage ride through the city, or at the Teatro Argentina delighting in Rossini’s latest work. The Papal States were said to be getting crowded with refugees, but… where she was now was one of the places the refugees were running away from. And with good reason.

Coming here hadn’t seemed like such a terrible idea at the time. It had been August, with hardly any snow on the ground. The Austrians had been winning the war. (Come to think of it, they still weren’t exactly losing.) Rome had been as safe as any place on earth. If nothing else, if the place seemed at all dissatisfactory she could leave again. For heaven’s sake, she had visited Tunis without being sold into slavery, and sailed the Greek isles unmolested by pirates. Bad things simply weren’t allowed to happen to visiting royals, no matter what their husbands thought of them. So she decided to return to her villa.

Hardly had she crossed the border between the Papal States and Tuscany when the Austrian army started trying to feed itself entirely off the land, and the land (or rather, pretty much all the people on it) rose up against them, and against anybody trying to help them. In Tuscany, Modena, Parma and here in Lombardy, the tax collectors sent to squeeze food out of their own people had been driven out by angry mobs if they were lucky, hanged from the nearest tree if they weren’t. The Austrians had tried to use force to re-establish local authority, but their armies were harried wherever they went.

Not that she didn’t understand. To steal stores of food in a year like this, when no one had anything to spare… if you and your family were doomed to starve, why not use whatever strength you had left to hunt down the nearest soldier and shoot him in the back? What were they going to do — kill you?

Caroline was privately sure the rebels were as quick to steal food as the Austrians — they had to eat too, and they did nothing to grow crops or earn money. But when the Austrians did it, the rebels made sure everyone heard about it. This was especially true of Murat, who had learned the art of demagogy from Bonaparte and the Jacobins. She had met him before, in Naples. In her judgment, he was not a good man, but certainly one to be reckoned with. The Austrians, on the other hand… it didn’t seem to have occurred to them yet that this was a war for the hearts of the people, not simply control of the land. Public opinion was something they weren’t used to worrying about. They were even worse than the British court in this regard.

None of which did her any good. The Grand Duke of Tuscany and the Duke of Modena hadn’t even been able to spare any soldiers to protect her. Passing through their lands, she had been guarded by some very unofficial-looking local men from “citizens’ committees.” Her majordomo, Bartolomeo Pergami, had talked the committees into this somehow or other. This hadn’t been the first time she had come perilously close to a war zone, but it had been the worst.

Finally, in Parma (which was being governed from Milan since Marie Louise had gone to France) Archduke Anton Victor had finally arrived with a detachment of Austrian and Lombard troops to guard her as she returned to the villa. (The “citizens’ committee” men had fled at word of his approach.) The archduke had made it very clear that this was a distraction from important duties, and that he was only doing it as a courtesy to the royal family of Austria’s ally, Britain. Just to compound the irony of this, no sooner was she at the villa than Pergami had discovered that that little rat Ompteda was a spy for her husband. She had dismissed him and every servant he had suborned.

She had considered moving on to Vienna, or to Switzerland. (Correction — she should have gone to Vienna, or to Switzerland, or to anywhere other than here.) But since dear Pergami had gone to all the trouble of rooting out the spies, she had decided to stay a little longer. Wherever else she went, it wouldn’t be long before Prinny had every secret agent manqué he could hire sneaking into her apartments, filching and copying the keys and sniffing her underclothes for signs of adultery. She had had her fill and more of this since… really, since about a year after baby Charlotte was born. (How was her daughter? Was she happy? Caroline had heard she’d gotten married. Was there a grandchild on the way?)

So — Caroline had used the last of their money to buy food from Switzerland, which was as hungry as Italy but still orderly. She and her household had settled down here, in this nice out-of-the-way spot safely close to the Swiss and Austrian borders and almost completely under the Hapsburg emperor’s control, to wait. She had written a few letters to friends back in England, to assure them that she was all right. Surely things would get better.

They had gotten worse. As of November, the cities of Milan, Turin and Novara were in the hands of the “Provisional Government” of either the “Republic of Lombardy,” the “Republic of Italy” or the “Kingdom of Italy,” depending on which of the various factions you asked. Caroline suspected that the only thing holding them all together was their mutual hatred of the Hapsburgs and any ruler who accepted Hapsburg support.

Still, she had enough food to last for a while, and next year the weather would return to normal and her allowance would come again — Prinny couldn’t possibly be so petty as to block it. (Well, actually he could, but Parliament was another matter.) All she and her household had to do was fort up here and survive until then. And if worst came to worst, the Swiss border and the well-garrisoned town of Chiasso were a mere two miles to the west. Even with blizzards every week and bandits in the mountains, she liked the odds of surviving that journey.

And then it had happened. Yesterday, Count Colloredo-Mansfeld had come to call. He had brought ten thousand unexpected guests with him.

He had been very polite, but firm. He was headed to Milan to help the archduke retake the city. He was planning a surprise attack. Under the circumstances, he could allow no one to leave the village or the estate.

Oh, and he needed their food. All of it. Down to the very last loaf of bread.

There was nothing to be done. The Austrian army had gotten very good at finding hidden stores of food. The only things Bartolomeo had been able to conceal were Angelica and every other female in the household.

Though they hadn’t said as much, everyone had been afraid of worse than rape. Her attendants had many contacts among the Italians. From what they said, the armies of the Austrian Empire had moved beyond what (God help this world) everyone had come to think of as “normal” wartime atrocities against any who resisted them or tried to hide food or valuables. Men’s bodies and parts of bodies were being found impaled on tree branches. The stories of what was being done to women and children…

They must have grown in the telling, Caroline thought. It’s not as though I’m hearing both sides of the story. Only a year ago the Austrians were a nation like any other — they can’t possibly have all turned to devils, no matter what Bartolomeo and Angelica may think. But at times like this, ordinary men could do just such terrible things. She had heard stories of the Peninsular War.

And this Peninsular War looked to be even worse. Whenever the bodies of the Austrians’ victims were found (when they were found at all) pieces were missing — arms, legs, hearts, livers, slabs of flesh cut from the side. It was said that the Austrians were no longer content with starving and murdering the people — they had turned cannibal. Caroline’s own suspicion was that some of the more desperate peasants were taking advantage of the ready availability of corpses, but everyone was ready to believe the worst of anyone who followed the Emperor Francis.

So… it was almost Christmas, and she and all her servants (and their children, to make things worse) were trapped here with not so much as a raw onion to eat. The question of whether they should stay or go had been well and truly settled — they would go to Switzerland and live on credit until Parliament sent their allowance. But there was no prospect of leaving until Colloredo had won or lost his battle.

On top of everything else, it was dark outside and her majordomo Pergami was missing, along with the Neapolitan Theodore Majocchi. Italy right now wasn’t a good place to go missing in. If somebody wasn’t in line of sight, a part of you couldn’t help wondering if you’d ever see him again.

A thread of cold air brushed her skin, a little draft from the window’s edge. The wind had picked up again. It howled in the distance, sounding like screams and volley-fire…

No. That wasn’t the wind. It was battle… somewhere to the south, but much closer than Milan. She had heard such noises before, on her journey to London to meet her husband.

For the next half hour, she simply sat there, listening. Trying to decide if the noise was getting closer or farther away. If it was dying down or getting worse. If musket-balls were about to start crashing through the windows. She said several prayers.

Finally, the noise of battle faded.

She kept sitting there anyway. There was nothing much else to do right now. Nothing to eat. No one to talk to. Books to read, but not enough light to read by. Nothing to do but sit, and wait, and worry.

Then there was noise near the side door. It sounded like… not more than a few men. Whatever else might be happening, the villa wasn’t being invaded. Caroline went to see what it was.

In the hall, she saw Pergami leaning on her secretary’s shoulder. Hownam was a strong man, but Pergami was very tall and it was all he could do to get the majordomo into a chair. There was still unmelted snow sticking to his muttonchop whiskers.

“Majocchi… is dead,” Pergami gasped, rubbing his hands and blowing on his fingers to warm them. “Shot through the heart. A patrol. I only just got away myself.”

“Are you wounded?”

Pergami gave a bitter little chuckle. “Nothing so honorable,” he said. “I slipped on a patch of ice… twisted my ankle.”

“Please tell me you are not a part of this… this…” She waved her hand. She couldn’t think of a word that did justice to all the horrors Italy was going through.

“I am sorry,” he said. “I once served the Hapsburgs myself, as you know, but… enough is enough. Those bastards don’t care if we live or die anymore. If they ever did. I couldn’t let Milan suffer for the sake of Austria’s power. I had to warn them.”

“If Colloredo finds out what you’ve done, he’ll kill you,” said Caroline. “He might kill us all.” It would be so easy. He could blame it on the rebels. Castlereagh would issue formal diplomatic denunciations. Prinny would probably throw a party to celebrate. Why did I leave England? she thought. Why did I leave my daughter?

“He has very little time to find out,” said Pergami. “Our king is coming.”

It was with some dread that Caroline heard the knock on the front door.

“I’ll answer it,” said Hownam. (The dear man had actually challenged Ompteda to a duel. Ompteda had responded by fleeing very far away.)

At first, Caroline didn’t recognize the man who entered. He was tall, lean and weathered, with a scrubby beard. He was dressed in a civilian greatcoat over the patched-up remains of a French uniform.

“We meet again, Your Majesty,” he said in French. “As one unfortunate and slandered monarch to another, I greet you. You’re looking well.”

And then she recognized him.

“Murat,” she said. “No — forgive me — King Joachim.” Caroline had no problem acknowledging this murderous bandit chief as the rightful King of Italy. She’d met other kings.

“I don’t look much like myself, do I?” he chuckled.

“I am afraid my house is in no state to entertain visiting royalty,” she said. “Colloredo took all our food.”

“I am afraid my entire kingdom is in no state to entertain visiting royalty, suffering as it is from a foreign invasion and pretenders to local rule,” said Joachim.

“So I have seen,” said Caroline. “It was my intention to go to Chiasso as soon as the battle was over and the roads were open again. I gather, from Your Majesty’s appearance, that this is the case?”

“It is indeed. The sons of Italy — properly warned by a certain patriot — have won a great victory over the oppressor. Colloredo is dead, and what is left of his army is fleeing north along the lakefront. I will arrange at once for Your Majesty to have an escort to Chiasso. More than that — I will write to my in-laws in France and request that they take you in as a guest.” At this point, a messenger came in.

“Your Majesty,” he said, “forgive the interruption — we’ve burned our own dead just as you said, but the Austrian dead — the peasants are demanding…” His mouth worked silently, as though he could not find the words.

“I can guess,” said Joachim. “Chop them up as small as you can. That way, everyone for miles around will get a share.”

…Another traditional Italian holiday favorite is “austriaco” — pork shoulder marinated in wine overnight, boiled and then baked. To make it, you’ll need a large pot and a roasting pan.

Ingredients:
1½-2 kilos boneless pork shoulder, cut into inch-thick slices with minimal fat
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp fennel seed
salt
A ¾-kilo jar of your favorite pasta sauce

Marinating the meat is traditional, but not really necessary. If you want to make the extra effort, put it in a sealable plastic bag with 2 cups of cooking sherry.
In the pot, place the pork and 2 tsp salt. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours, longer if necessary. The meat should pull apart easily when this step is completed.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove the pork from the liquid and place it in the roasting pan in an even layer, mixed with the garlic and fennel seed. (Remember — fresh garlic really does make a difference!) Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pork is well caramelized.
Pour sauce over pork. Serve over noodles or rice, or just as it is!

Velaine Richardson, 250 Simple Recipes for a Magnificent Christmas Dinner