The Dancing Kings: A Collaborative Timeline

The Dancing Kings
August 1518: In the Duchy of Burgundy, Charles of Burgundy is enjoying a feast, rich with wine and food. As he dines, he suddenly begins dancing. At first it is the source of laughter and bemusement. But then it continues. Seconds turn into minutes, minutes turn into hours and hours turn into days. Some try to physically restrain the Duke, but to no avail as he fights his way free.

In France, Francis I experiences a similar phenomenon. During the middle of the night, he arises from his bed and begins dancing uncontrollably. He skips along his palace and into it’s gardens continuously. Like Charles, he fights his way free from the guards and courtiers who try to restrain him. He too, dances for weeks.

Henry VIII too joins in the Dance. During the middle of a Mass at Westminster Abbey, he begins dancing uncontrollably. Many watch him bemused and confused. He is temporarily restrained and taken to his palace. There he begins dancing once more, this time he resists all attempts to be restrained.

Many courtiers and guards join the Kings in their dances, hindering attempts to stop them. Others, fearing that they will injure their sovereign, to little to stop them, hoping that they will stop themselves. This doesn’t occur however. After 2 weeks of consistent dancing, Charles V succumbs to over exertion and dies. Francis I, falls from the balcony during one of his dances. Henry VIII is the last Dancing King to die, lasting for 4 weeks before dying of severe over exertion. The incident is the most bizzare in European history and it is remembered as the Year of the Dancing King.

Yes, I know it’s silly. Yes I know it’s borderline ASB, but screw it, it’s funny and a unique POD.

1. No more dancing plague for at least 15 years.
2. You can write about anything you want, just keep it realistic (which is the aim going forward).
3. You can write the update anyway you want. (Narrative, extract, chronological, etc).
4. At most you can only write about a year, e.g. if you pick up in May 1519 you can only write up to May 1520.
5. I am not going to implant a no random killing rule since that’s part of the fun of collab timelines (though I strongly encourage you not to randomly kill people).
6. Please try not to make events people set up feel anti-climactic. If someone suggests X person is actually a bastard, you are free to have that be wrong, but please do so in a way that feels like a natural conclusion to the plot line.
7. You can go back to fill in the blanks in what happened in a country/place in X year if everyone else is in Y year. However, there is a ten year cut off point for this. If everyone is writing about 1528, you can’t go back and write about 1518, though you can mention what happened in 1518, in 1528, although briefly.
8. Try to maintain continuity with previous events.
9. Have fun!

If you have any questions or want me to clarify the rules, let me know.

Aftermath
After 2 weeks of consistent dancing, Charles V succumbs to over exertion and dies. Francis I, falls from the balcony during one of his dances. Henry VIII is the last Dancing King to die, lasting for 4 weeks before dying of severe over exertion.
September 1518
15 year old, Ferdinand succeeds his brother, Charles as Ferdinand V, King of Castile and Leon, Ferdinand III of Aragon, Ferdinand I, Lord of the Netherlands and Duke of Burgundy. During his coronation, a nobleman whom had travelled through Strasbourg had informed that their were members of the imperial city had been affected by this mysterious dancing anomaly.

Following his father’s fall, one year old, Francis II, has been placed under high security and Charles IV, Duke of Alençon, acting as royal regent.

The regency council had been formed a day after Henry VIII’s death, being made up, Catherine, Queen Dowager, William Warham, Archbishop of Canterbury and Mary Tudor, Dowager Queen of France, Duchess of Suffolk among the highest members, waiting patiently for two year old, Queen Mary to reach the age of majority.
There were talks of her marrying her cousin, James V of Scotland.
(Although there was a clause in the Treaty of Rouen provided that if the Auld Alliance between France and Scotland was maintained, James would have a daughter of Francis I of France as a bride, the court waited to see if the pregnant, Dowager Queen Claude, Duchess of Brittany, would give birth to a daughter.)

Marriages
October 1518
Ferdinand V proposes marriage to Infanta Isabella of Portugal, whom his brother had refused to marry. This meant, of course, that there was no one to marry Anne of Bohemia and Hungary...but she was still his sister-in-law. Surely that should be fine...
In England, Queen Mary is betrothed to her Scottish cousin James V.

An Unexpected Princess
November 1518

Surprisingly, on November 10th, Catherine of Aragon gives birth to a daughter. She was baptized Catherine and her godfathers were Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk and Thomas Wolsey. Her godmothers were Mary, Duchess of Suffolk and the Dowager Queen of France, Claude of Brittany.

The Last Son of France
November 1518: Queen Mary I of England is officially crowned at Westminster Abbey, where her parents had been crowned almost a decade ago. Ferdinand V and Isabella of Portugal marry and quickly consummate their union, hoping for a secured line of succession.

December 1518: Joanna of Castile is released from her captivity on the condition that she never takes part in political matters. She accepts and moves to England to be with her sole remaining sibling, Katherine of Aragon.

January 1519: Eleanor of Austria, Queen of Portugal prematurely gives birth to a stillborn child. Devastated, she withdraws from court and refuses to speak to anybody. In the meantime, young princess Catherine of England is betrothed to Francis II of France.

February 1519: Anne Boleyn, the 18-year-old daughter of Ambassador Thomas Boleyn, returns from France. She becomes the lady-in-waiting of Katherine of Aragon and quickly befriends the widowed queen, to the point where Katherine blesses the secret scandalous marriage between Anne and Henry Percy.

March 1519: Claude of France gives birth to her final child, a posthumous son named Henry. In England, an episode of the sweating sickness ravages the country.

A New Emperor
January 1519
After 11 years on the throne, Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor, passes away having outlived his only son and his eldest grandson.

June 1519
With Ferdinand being deemed too young to be crowned, the election was won by, William IV, Duke of Bavaria, son of Kunigunde of Austria, a daughter of Emperor Frederick III, becoming William I, Holy Roman Emperor, the second from the house of Wittelsbach (direct descendant from Louis IV the Bavarian (1282–1347) Duke of Bavaria from 1301, King of the Romans from 1314, King of Italy from 1327, and Holy Roman Emperor from 1328.)

Great to see people contributing! I was afraid the concept was too ridiculous to catch on, glad to be proven wrong :)
Queen Mary I of England is officially crowned at Westminster Abbey
No way are they crowing a 2 year old, especially a girl. This shouldn't happen until at least another 11 years.
Joanna of Castile is released from her captivity on the condition that she never takes part in political matters. She accepts and moves to England to be with her sole remaining sibling, Katherine of Aragon.
A little unlikely to happen tbh, she is still the de-jure Queen after all, I'd doubt she'd abdicate. Maybe she could reside in a monastery in Spain and make regular visits to England rather than moving there permanently?
oung princess Catherine of England is betrothed to Francis II of France.
I find it supremely unlikely that the English would betroth the next in line to the King of France, though I suppose it could be broken if needed.

No way are they crowing a 2 year old, especially a girl
Mary Stuart was crowned at an even younger age...
Maybe she could reside in a monastery in Spain and make regular visits to England rather than moving there permanently?
She resided in a Spanish monastery IOTL if I remember correctly, and she'd hated it (thought the nuns were killing her). I think, in such circumstances, she would accept moving to England where no one will lock her up, at least.

Definitely. She wasn’t even a year (born 8 December 1542) when crown in a solemn coronation on 9 September 1543.
This ceremony maybe as a way for Catherine to secure Mary on the throne, possibly fearing a usurper, in the form of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, William de la Pole (1478–1539), Richard de la Pole (1480–1525), Margaret Plantagenet (or one of her sons) or even, Margaret Tudor, Dowager of Scotland or her son, James V of Scotland.
She resided in a Spanish monastery IOTL if I remember correctly, and she'd hated it (thought the nuns were killing her). I think, in such circumstances, she would accept moving to England where no one will lock her up, at least.
Maybe she could reside in a monastery in Spain and make regular visits to England rather than moving there permanently?
If Joanna was paranoid that the nuns were trying to kill her, what if during one of her visits, she didn’t return.
The Spanish court aren’t going to worry about her interfering with their politics miles away and Catherine has no reason to force her to return, so we could just have a case of self appointed exile.

Definitely. She wasn’t even a year (born 8 December 1542) when crown in a solemn coronation on 9 September 1543.
This ceremony maybe as a way for Catherine to secure Mary on the throne, possibly fearing a usurper, in the form of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, William de la Pole (1478–1539), Richard de la Pole (1480–1525), Margaret Plantagenet (or one of her sons) or even, Margaret Tudor, Dowager of Scotland or her son, James V of Scotland.
In that case it could happpen. Margaret Tudor wouldn’t claim the throne however, she was still in good terms with her English family in this time.
If Joanna was paranoid that the nuns were trying to kill her, what if during one of her visits, she didn’t return.
The Spanish court aren’t going to worry about her interfering with their politics miles away and Catherine has no reason to force her to return, so we could just have a case of self appointed exile.
I guess it could happen then.

Though are we still going with Catherine being betrothed to Francis II, that seems way OOC for the English.

Manoeuvres
July 1519: Ferdinand of Burgundy, departs to Spain to oversee his affairs there. He appoints his Aunt, Margaret the Regent of Burgundy in his absence. Charles of Guelders begins plotting to seize much of Burgundy for himself.

August 1519: The Regencies of England and France are reshuffled. In France, Claude, Dowager Queen and Duchess of Brittany becomes the Co-Regent of France alongside Charles of Alencon. They quickly lend support to Charles of Guelders in his plans against the Habsburgs. With this support Charles of Guelders amasses 15,000 men and begins attacking Burgundian towns and forts.

In England, Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk and Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey become members of the Council. They demand that France swear an oath to recognise English sovereignty of Calais and renounce the Auld Alliance as well as pay 15,000 pounds as an insurance of these terms. They hope France will reject these terms so that they can break the betrothal between Princesss Catherine and King Francis II.

Last edited:
Victory & Defeat
September 1519: Charles of Guelders dies in battle, and his cause is abandoned. Ferdinand of Spain returns in triumph with his wife. Isabella of Portugal announces a pregnancy, and Claude of France offers to betroth her eldest son to this unborn child if it is a girl, breaking the betrothal with England in the process.