The Cuban Missile War of 1962

marathag

Banned
DOES cHINA BECOME A SECOND superpower with the ussr devistated
If WWIII was to have occurred in the early 1960s, SAC had plans to nuke anything of the Chinese that would be a threat to B-52s from Andersen on Guam or Clark in the P.I.

As far as what I have been able to determine, Yugoslavia was the only Communist country that wouldn't be whacked for WWIII at that time

If WWIII was to have occurred in the early 1960s, SAC had plans to nuke anything of the Chinese that would be a threat to B-52s from Andersen on Guam or Clark in the P.I.

As far as what I have been able to determine, Yugoslavia was the only Communist country that wouldn't be whacked for WWIII at that time

Didn't SIOP 63 go active before the crisis and give the NCA the option to opt out on China?

I suppose it doesn't really matter in context for this TL. I'm not even sure on what happened to prevent a full blown war. We go from air battles of Ukraine (what?) to deescalation and aftermath on one post. OP you know the hotline exists because of changes made after the crisis right? And communications break downs between Khrushchev and Kennedy nearly caused a nuclear war?

marathag

Banned
Didn't SIOP 63 go active before the crisis and give the NCA the option to opt out on China?
Indications were that Gen Powers would have SAC do the earlier SIOP plan, no matter what POTUS or SecDef wanted.
Went along with the PAL shenanigans, after all, and that wasn't caught for a long time.
I'm not even sure on what happened to prevent a full blown war.
IMO, as soon as one Soviet nuke popped that killed more than one US serviceman, for whatever reason, Powers would have used his predelegated command authority to Alphastrike the USSR, and Andersen probably would have unleashed tacnukes over Cuba, nuke depthcharge every Soviet sub they were sitting on, and send the Go Code to the George Washington Boomers on Patrol

JFK had a lot less control than he thought he had, that wasn't really settled till 1964

Indications were that Gen Powers would have SAC do the earlier SIOP plan, no matter what POTUS or SecDef wanted.
Went along with the PAL shenanigans, after all, and that wasn't caught for a long time.

IMO, as soon as one Soviet nuke popped that killed more than one US serviceman, for whatever reason, Powers would have used his predelegated command authority to Alphastrike the USSR, and Andersen probably would have unleashed tacnukes over Cuba, nuke depthcharge every Soviet sub they were sitting on, and send the Go Code to the George Washington Boomers on Patrol

JFK had a lot less control than he thought he had, that wasn't really settled till 1964

Didn't know that about Thomas "That would really screw up the plan" Powers.

Khrushchev would have been "retired" if he didn't tit for tat for the American nuking Cuba too.

marathag

Banned
Kennedy responds with a measured approach. Not to mention the first weapons only kill about 35,000 marines and personnel on the beach. A similar number of Soviets are in Cuba and it's a partially Cuban and Russian action.
No doubt he would want that, but I really have my doubts on Gen. Power listening, or lower level units with non-PAL devices jumping the Gun as soonas they see a mushroom cloud, and it spirals out of control

Vaporized

Banned
Several new subspecies of insects, worms, the Cuban Tree Frog, land crabs, and others were documented as early as 1970 having evolved from the environment created from nuclear fallout on the island. It's a center for international scientists of how evolution can occur within just a few years. It's almost like visiting Jurassic Park.

I recommend the series: Atomic Rainforest from Animal Planet which goes into more details about new species still being discovered there in 2019.

There's even a program to adopt the descendants of dogs living in the Cuban quarantine zones that were abandoned after the conflict.

For the remaining survivors of the failed first US invasion of Cuba, they are planned to be cremated and interned with their compatriots who were vaporized in the wrecks left entrenched following the first nuclear attack of the war. For a tourist's fee one can dive down into the wrecks as well.

Last edited:
Several new subspecies of insects, worms, the Cuban Tree Frog, land crabs, and others were documented as early as 1970 having evolved from the environment created from nuclear fallout on the island. It's a center for international scientists of how evolution can occur within just a few years. It's almost like visiting Jurassic Park.

I recommend the series: Atomic Rainforest from Animal Planet which goes into more details about new species still being discovered there in 2019.

There's even a program to adopt the descendants of dogs living in the Cuban quarantine zones that were abandoned after the conflict.

For the remaining survivors of the failed first US invasion of Cuba, they are planned to be cremated and interned with their compatriots who were vaporized in the wrecks left entrenched following the first nuclear attack of the war. For a tourist's fee one can dive down into the wrecks as well.
Hold up, is this a DBWI now?

Vaporized

Banned
I wonder if the Batista family and the various Miami Cubans ever made it back to Cuba as well?

Many Cubans exiled after the Castro take over do return to the island beginning in the 1970s after a new government is in place and the situation has stabilized. The opposite is also true where many in the 1960s flee the economic despair and poverty after the conflict or simply to forget the trauma either to the United States or other places in Latin America. By the 1980s with American and international investment it becomes another island with a large tourist economy. Even Russians visit here after the fall of the Soviet Union to see where the ancestors were stationed or killed during the nuclear war.