The only thing missing is a top hat and monocle.

And I'm sure there's a picture of him, in the former, somewhere on the internet.

Edit:

jrm-top-hat-ii.jpg

He looks like if the word "Eton" was a person.

How's Jacob Rees-Mogg doing?

Rees-Mogg was elected as Senator for the South West back in 2007. He currently serves as a leading member of the "British Freedom Caucus", a caucus of right-wing, Eurosceptic and Monarchist Tory MPs and Senators. Farage has bragged that he has a list of 15-20 Tory politicians looking at jumping ship. In media predictions Mogg is quite high up that list and some journalists have reported secret visits to Gournay Court by senior UKIP officials...

Last edited:
Has this changed any results in football? I'd imagine massive political changes might affect sport in one way or another. Be it a change to financial structures or ownership (as a Chelsea supporter, I'm crossing my fingers that Abramovich still buys the team), something must have changed.

Has this changed any results in football? I'd imagine massive political changes might affect sport in one way or another. Be it a change to financial structures or ownership (as a Chelsea supporter, I'm crossing my fingers that Abramovich still buys the team), something must have changed.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about football and football policy to comment. I leave sports up to reader's head-cannon :p

Last edited:
Why William Burns is the US Secretary of State instead John Kerry? And I noted that also the Chinese Prime Minister is a different person.

Obama's reelection was slightly narrower than in OTL and the Dems were weary of losing Kerry's Senate Seat so Obama picked Burns as a relatively safe choice.

Wen Jiabao, a relative reformer became Premier of China as the various revolutions in the late 2000s and early 2010s Middle East were more violent, widespread and succesful, due to a mix of factors including Britain being more willing to intervene and push for intervention due to Howard's hawkish foreign policy. The powers that be in China were weary of similar instability in the PRC and thus Jiabao used the opportunity to rise to the top.

2014 Elections, Part 1
1598212602548.png

Despite polling in third place, Farage and his ideas dominated the 2014 elections

“Mr Farage's maverick style has given him a similar kind of appeal to voters as Boris Johnson, who has described the UKIP man as "a rather engaging geezer". But higher prominence has brought greater scrutiny. Farage was forced to clarify his position on the NHS after a video of him appeared in which he suggested the NHS be replaced by a private insurance model. Despite being identical to many politicians, the message from focus groups and voters is that he is "different", not one of "them" at Westminster. He told BBC Radio 4's Today that he was "odd" but only in the sense that it was "odd" to be a politician "not doing this for a career. I'm here as a campaigner. I want to free this country from the European Union and then I want us to have a much smaller level of state interference in our lives in this country". For much of its life UKIP has been seen as attracting Tories unhappy with the party, especially the Conservatives' move towards the centre. Mr Farage says there are now "three social democratic parties".
- How UKIP became a political force, BBC News (2014)

The “short campaign” officially began in March, with campaigns turning on the taps and Presidential and Prime Ministerial Candidates visiting various parts of the country. It was the first time Presidential and Parliamentary Elections had been held in the same year since 1999, and it presented a new question to the Commonwealth’s parties, should the Presidential and Parliamentary campaigns work together, or distance themselves? This issue was particularly salient in the Tory campaign, whilst Osborne hadn’t openly backed Cameron over Howard, it was an open secret that he had plotted Howard's downfall. The two Tory leaders were not on speaking terms.

1598212659649.png

The relationship between Howard and his former protege had completely broken down

This quickly became a problem as the two senior Tories made different, sometimes contradictory pledges. An example being in Europe, where Osborne said he would personally campaign to remain and whip his ministers to do so, whilst Howard stated he would remain neutral and allow ministers in a future Conservative Government to vote with their consciences. The two also differed on future coalition partners. Osborne stated he wanted to reform the 2008 yellow and blue coalition and categorically ruled out working with UKIP or putting Nigel Farage in the Cabinet. Howard on the other hand welcomed UKIP as the Conservative's “lost cousins” and said in the case of a hung Parliament he would offer Farage the office of Deputy Prime Minister.

Nowhere was this division between President and Parliamentary Leader more toxic than in the Lib Dems. After being passed over for the Vice Presidential ticket in favour of Douglas Alexander, Vince Cable remained the Parliamentary lead candidate as a “consolation prize”, much to his rage. The Lib Dem primary had been bruising and party loyalists were irredeemably divided between pro and anti traffic light politicians. Cable had been the Liberal face of the Traffic Light Coalition for years, whilst Clegg and Alexander had built their brands on being against the coalition. This led to instances where Clegg would attack Government policy only for Chancellor Cable to emerge on TV the next day to defend it. The Lib Dems were chaotic and divided and it showed in their polling.

"An e-petition was launched by grassroots Liberal Democrats urging Vince Cable to resign "so the party may once again get a fair hearing". Cable has pledged not to resign in the wake of another round of terrible polling and has so far won the support of most of his parliamentary colleagues. The petition has the support of MPs Sandra Gidley, Bill le Breton, and Martin Tod. It also has the support of many younger party activists, but it is not clear if it will sway the minds of instinctively loyal Lib Dem MPs. The Lib Dems are projected to lose over 30 seats in BBC polling today especially in London and the North West. The BBC had the Lib Dem share of the vote at 8%. Some of the projections based on the local elections suggest a slew of Lib Dem MPs would lose their seats. The petition states: "Even the best Liberal Democrat candidates, councillors and councils have come up against a brick wall. It is impossible for the party to make any headway so long as it is led by Vince Cable. There is a serious trust deficit. Nothing Cable says can be taken seriously by the electorate."" - Lib Dem polling suggest party could lose over 30 parliamentary seats, Patrick Wintour, The Guardian (2014)

1598212412630.png

Relatively scandal free, Nick Clegg hoped to drag his languishing party up with him during the Presidential Campaign

Farage, and by extension immigration, became a major issue of the campaign. Especially within the Labour Party. Prime Minister Ed Balls was particularly keen for Labour to be seen as “listening” to anti-immigration voters who could be tempted to switch over to UKIP. Ed Balls pledged a "credible" set of measures on immigration within 100 days of retaking Downing Street. Speaking in Coventry, he pledged to recruit an extra 2,000 border staff and introduce full exit checks. The Labour leader challenged George Osborne to match his pledges, accusing him of "abandoning the issue to UKIP". He also accused the Greens and Lib Dems of preventing him from taking stronger action in Government. Balls promised he would never "denigrate the contribution of immigrants." But he said Labour had changed its approach under his leadership and would "deal with people's concerns" about immigration. This included EU and worldwide migration, border controls and rules on work and benefits. Labour would only make "credible" promises it could keep, he told activists. "When I am re-elected prime minister we will begin work immediately to fix our immigration system. With a plan founded on fair rules, where wages can't be undercut and benefits must be earned; a plan where our borders are strengthened." This rhetoric culminated in the party printing controversial “controls on immigration” mugs.

"No piece of Labour merchandise has divided opinion more than the mug pledging "controls on immigration". Hackney Mayor Diane Abbott described it as "shameful", adding that "the real problem is that immigration controls are one of our five pledges at all". So,e Labour officials made little attempt to disguise their distaste. Senator Chuka Umunna said: "I don’t wish to be photographed with any mug at all. I have been clear about this we have got to have a sensible debate about immigration – that is what Ed has sought to do all along." Asked by the Telegraph whether he would buy one, he replied: "I am not going to be buying any mugs. I am going to be on the campaign trail in all the different parts of our country winning support for Labour. Now I have got to go." Sadiq Khan went even further, warning that the mug's message could be "misconstrued". The Justice Secretary and likely London Premiere candidate said: "I would not buy the mug, It can be misconstrued. Let me explain why. What we can’t do is use immigration as a proxy for issues others have used in previous elections."" - The split over Labour's immigration mug reflects a deeper divide, George Eaton, New Statesman (2014)

1598212566321.png

Miliband tried to distance himself from Balls' anti-immigration message

Of all the nominated candidates, only Bennett offered a robust defence of immigration and social liberalism. Bennett had come into her own during the campaign, having proven herself in Government and in the Primary against the formidable Salmond. Bennett also benefited from having the strongest relationship with her party’s lead candidate. Shahrar Ali, from the left of the party and an ally of Bennett, had made history by becoming Britain’s first BAME major party leader, beating out moderates like Will Duckworth to ascend to the party’s leadership. Bennett, Salmond and Ali fully embraced the Progressive Alliance’s anti-austerity message, pitching themselves as the “UKIP of the left”. Bennett gave the strongest defence of immigration by all the candidates.

Natalie Bennett attacked Ukip, saying Nigel Farage had stamped policy out of the party’s platform. Bennett said Farage’s party was without substance. Speaking at a town hall in Oxford, Bennett said: “As far as I can work out, Nigel Farage has written it off so that Ukip has no policies at all. It seems to stand for getting out of the EU and stopping immigration and other than that he seems to have said, right, we have no policies. It’s a reflection of the dissatisfaction with politics. They will get a lot of votes in the north from poor, disillusioned people who feel like they’ve been left behind, left out. And in many ways they’re right.” Bennett said the looming failure of the major parties in the election made it obvious that traditional politics m was inadequate. “What this also represents is the fact that two (or if we are being charitable two-and-a-half) party politics has very much broken down as a system. We Progressives have broken that system, we've shown you don't have two choices and a tag along."

"And thank you West Midlands. It’s great to be here in the centre of the region where Green Party representation is growing fastest. Across the country, we’re polling at record levels. The latest poll of polls by the Independent put us on 9.6%, far above where we’ve ever been before in general election polling. We’ve now got over 200 full time elected officials across our country. Membership has grown 30% in just this year. Membership of the Young Greens is up 80% this year, and the number of local groups has more than doubled since 2011. The young are the future, and the future is green! These achievements are in part reflection of our growing numbers and growing strength. But it’s also down to a lot of hard work – your hard work, the work of members here in the hall today and those at work all over the country. Thank you! But the growth in Green Party support and representation is because more and more people are seeking out what the Green Party has to offer. A route towards an economy, a society, that works for the common good within the environmental limits of our planet."
- Green Party rally in Worcester (2014)

1598212477834.png

Whilst the Progressive Parties cooperated on a presidential level, they ran separately for Parliament

Critically assess the impact of immigration on the 2014 Presidential Election (30 Marks) - A Level Politics Exam (2019)

Great update, Labour is fighting hard but I fear a UKIP-Conservative goverment, especially if Howard wins and plots Osborne's fall to make this possible.
By the way, what about European politics?
A different French President could have numerous consequences. For example IOTL the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) was initially proposed as an EU istitution but it was vetoed by Cameron, so it was renegotiated as an external organization and only by Eurozone members. Then the ESM was successfully used to save the Spanish banking system and Cyprus's economy. The ESM was negotiated between 2010 and 2012, wanting activating it since 2013, but then it was anticipated to respond the ongoing financial crisis. But ITTL Balls is Prime Minister and Howard President: how they handle the negotiations? They vetoed as IOTL or approved it, maybe delaying it until making severe economic damage to Spain and Cyprus?

Great update, Labour is fighting hard but I fear a UKIP-Conservative goverment, especially if Howard wins and plots Osborne's fall to make this possible.
By the way, what about European politics?
A different French President could have numerous consequences. For example IOTL the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) was initially proposed as an EU istitution but it was vetoed by Cameron, so it was renegotiated as an external organization and only by Eurozone members. Then the ESM was successfully used to save the Spanish banking system and Cyprus's economy. The ESM was negotiated between 2010 and 2012, wanting activating it since 2013, but then it was anticipated to respond the ongoing financial crisis. But ITTL Balls is Prime Minister and Howard President: how they handle the negotiations? They vetoed as IOTL or approved it, maybe delaying it until making severe economic damage to Spain and Cyprus?

Hi there, yes the ESM does pass in this timeline with Britain as a member. Howard veto'd it but Balls rallied Parliament to overturn the veto (it nearly destroys his Government), you can read more about that here. It did pass eventually as Parliament overruled Howard's veto by the slimiest majority, whilst the wait wasn't disastrous, the uncertainty did damage the economies of several Southern European countries

2014 Presidential Debate, Part 1, Opening Statements
1598271759905.png

The BBC's first challenge was whether to invite minor candidates or not

As was tradition in the Commonwealth the BBC held the main Presidential debate, chaired by David Dimbleby and hosted by Chester Town Hall. There was some controversy around the debate as the BBC said it would only invite officially nominated candidates who had received the 26 required MP nominations to get on the ballot. This received howls of protest from Nick Griffin and the BNP who argued the BBC had set a precedent by inviting Griffin in 2009 and that he deserved a slot. Luckily for the BBC the BNP was too diminished to put up much protest and no one wanted to stick their necks out for the BBC. Instead Griffin ordered his followers to boycott the BBC debate and instead tune into a debate between himself and Bob Crow, hosted by Russia Today.

As the candidates arrived in Chester over 10 million viewers tuned into the first Presidential Debate for five years. Expectations were mixed, neither Miliband nor Howard were seen as seasoned debaters but both Farage and Clegg could be brutal behind a lectern. Bennett was seen as a wildcard, whilst she had suffered gaffes previously she had spent the most time preparing for the debate, spending weeks prepping with aides. She had seen a surge in media attention after being endorsed by comedian Russell Brand. Bennett had also clashed with Farage publicly before and many viewers were looking forward to seeing the two butt heads.

The order was chosen via lots, and Home Secretary Bennett was called as the first to speak.

"You were told austerity and inequality, bankers bonuses and tuition fees were inevitable. There were not. The Greens proved they were not. When I entered the cabinet three years ago I pledged to put a stop to the worst excess of establishment austerity and we did just that. You all deserve better. In Government I put principles and values first. Isn't it time we saw principles and values in Buckingham? I am determined to deliver a fair economy, that does not make the poor and disadvantaged pay for the sins of the rich. I am committed to returning the NHS to its founding values, no private profits. And I know we must take real action on climate change, the biggest threat facing us all. Other parties (gestures to Farage) trade in fear. Fear of immigrants, fear of those on benefits. To build a decent humane society, I'll start with hope. Vote for change, vote Bennett/Salmond."

1598271829403.png

Bennett wanted to quash rumours of a dysfunctional relationship with Salmond

Bennett had a strong start putting clear Green water between herself and coalition whilst extolling the successes of the Greens in Government. Bennett had now been in the public eye for three years and was a marmite figure. She knew she couldn’t win over Conservative and UKIP voters but by being the strongest voice against them on the stage she could rally her base of young people and ethnic minorities around her campaign.

Howard was called to speak next.

“Six years ago this country was on the brink. We had millions of people unemployed and we had one of the biggest budget deficits anywhere in the world. It was thanks to the uncontrolled spending of people like Ed Miliband that we found ourselves facing that cliff edge. As President I worked with Governments of all parties and the British people to urge a long term economic plan. That plan worked. Between 2008-2011 we saw a million more people in work. We reduced the deficit, we invested in our NHS and we cut taxes for millions of people. That is until Ed Balls grabbed the steering wheel and began to drive us back towards that cliff. Our national debt now makes up nearly 90% of our GDP, 90%! George Osborne gave Ed Balls one of the fastest growing economies in the world and he squandered it. I have had to be the adult in the room, applying the breaks when necessary and holding back Labour's worst instincts. A vote for any of the other candidates is a vote to give Ed Balls free reign to drive off that cliff. Don't risk it.”

Howard was not an accomplished public speaker. His speech was fairly bland and safe sticking to the old Tory adages of keeping control over public spending. He also tried to deflect from his disagreements with Osborne by hailing the successes of the Osborne Government and implying Ed Balls was pulling Miliband’s strings.

Next up was Nigel Farage.

1598271590769.png

Farage needed to prove he was more than a one-trick pony if he wanted to win Buckingham

“There are four other candidates on this stage tonight. They may all look different, but actually on some of the big issues they are all the same. All four support Britain's membership of the EU, most of our laws being made somewhere else. All of them support open door, uncontrolled immigration. Well I believe in Britain. This country should be a self-governing nation. We're good enough to stand on our own two feet. Open door immigration has made buying houses for youngsters very difficult, made it tough to get a GP appointment and has not been good for the country. I have a positive alternative. Let's have a trade deal with the European Union. Let's cooperate with them as friends but make our own laws. Let's take back control of our borders and put in place a points based immigration system so we can choose who comes into our country. They do it in Australia we can do it here.”

Farage’s opening whilst not a bad one, did little to encourage non UKIP voters to break ranks. Like Howard he knew what he was good at, he focused on immigration and the EU. He also tried to target some Labour voters by talking about affordable housing and GP appointments, however with increasingly Eurosceptic Conservative and Labour parties Farage would need a better offer in order to break through.

Ed Miliband then rose to speak.

1598272024156.png

Miliband had a choice, to embrace his populist image, or try and re-brand as a moderate

“Here’s what I believe. Britain succeeds when working people succeed. The Labour Government has made sure that wages rise with bills. Labour has invested a record amount of money into our NHS. We have strove to ensure our young people have a better life than their parents. When I'm President, I'll raise the minimum wage to £8 an hour and ban exploitative zero-hours contracts so we'll reward hard work again. When I'm President I'll build on the achievements of Prime Minister Balls to strengthen our NHS. I'll do this all whilst cutting the deficit and balancing the books. We've done it for three years with Howard holding us back, elect me President and we'll build a better Britain together.”

Miliband had a strong opening, on stage next to the ageing Howard he looked young and dynamic. He sung the praises of the Balls Government and made a hopeful progressive pitch for the future. He managed to sneak his slogans and platitudes into his opening speech whilst still giving clear policy proposals. Whilst it wasn’t anything groundbreaking, it formed a solid opening salvo.

1598272093473.png

Miliband had honed his speeches through rallies up and down the country

Last to speak was Nick Clegg.

“Whoever wins this election, there will be one of two men who hold the real powers. George Osborne or Ed Balls. Look left, do you want an uncontrolled Balls Government, taxing and spending without restraint? Look right, do you want an uncontrolled Osborne Government slashing and burning your public services? Whoever is Prime Minister I will act as a check, as a sensible reasonable voice for a Liberal Britain. I'm not going to pretend everything's perfect, but the country's in a lot better shape than it was six years ago and that's thanks to the Liberal Democrats. I'm not going to pretend we haven't made mistakes. But what you will get from me is the grit and the resilience to finish the job of governing. Balancing the books and doing so fairly. I will always act responsibly. I'll never let anyone else borrow money that we don't have and jeopardise your jobs and our economy. Above all I will always act fairly.”

Clegg knew that both Osborne and Balls had low approval ratings and leveraged that to try and pull his campaign ahead. Unfortunately for many voters they read Clegg’s speech as “both the other parties are mental, but I’ll work with them anyway”. Clegg’s policy of equidistance seemed muddled and confused whilst his party was actively serving in a Labour coalition.

1598271887690.png

Clegg struggled in the early part of the debate, appearing clearly rattled

To what extent did the Chester debate impact the 2014 Presidential Elections (30 Marks) - A Level Politics Exam (2019)

Could see labour trying to make badges with "I Like Ed" on them a bit like Eisenhower..... then getting a mocking one made saying "I Like Balls"