PROPOSALS FOR THE FLAG OF CANADA:
upload_2019-9-2_13-29-17.png

(The Flag of France defaced by a fleur-de-lis, symbolizing Canada's solidarity with both the Ancien Regime that founded the nation, and the new revolutionary blood of France. The middle band is further defaced by the motto of Canada: Liberté

2a.
upload_2019-9-2_13-33-52.png

(The Revolutionary banner of Canada, with the text replaced by the state's modern name)
2b.
upload_2019-9-2_13-35-14.png

(The Revolutionary banner of Canada, with the text being replaced by "Liberty and Soldarity" in French)

3a.
upload_2019-9-2_13-49-17.png

(The Revolutionary banner of Canada, without text and instead upon a blue field)
3b.
upload_2019-9-2_13-49-51.png

(The Revolutionary banner of Canada, with the fleur-de-lys being white).

upload_2019-9-2_13-51-45.png

(IRL Proposal for the flag of Quebec, proposed in 1902 -- called the Carillon Flag).
(Of course now I realize the flag isn't centered. Oh well, that's someone else's job). I can combine any options if need be (for example, 3b with the text of 2b, etc.), but I hope these suffice!

View attachment 485022
(The Flag of France defaced by a fleur-de-lis, symbolizing Canada's solidarity with both the Ancien Regime that founded the nation, and the new revolutionary blood of France. The middle band is further defaced by the motto of Canada: Liberté

2a.
View attachment 485023
(The Revolutionary banner of Canada, with the text replaced by the state's modern name)
2b.
View attachment 485024
(The Revolutionary banner of Canada, with the text being replaced by "Liberty and Soldarity" in French)

3a.
View attachment 485029
(The Revolutionary banner of Canada, without text and instead upon a blue field)
3b.
View attachment 485030

View attachment 485031
(IRL Proposal for the flag of Quebec, proposed in 1902 -- called the Carillon Flag).
(Of course now I realize the flag isn't centered. Oh well, that's someone else's job). I can combine any options if need be (for example, 3b with the text of 2b, etc.), but I hope these suffice!
I like A. but without the text

River Plate Colony Wikipedia article (out of date but still great work)
This is a WIP, I'd like feedback, especially from @Entrerriano. The "classified" is placeholder for events or information not established. My idea is for the River Plate to gain responsible government in the early 1850s (maybe after a minor rebellion?), settle the Pampas in the late 1850s (mainly by state-sponsored Anglophone settleres), reach a political dreadlock between Anglo-platineans and Spanish-Platineans in the late 1860s/early1870s paving way for a federalization between the provinces giving rise to a Dominion/Confederation inside the Empire maybe in the 1880s. What do you think?

Also, would this nation end up called Argentina ("silvery") like IOTL or would it remain Plate or River Plate, like Canada which mantained the French name (albeit with different pronunciation).

upload_2019-9-2_20-42-34.png

This is a WIP, I'd like feedback, especially from @Entrerriano. The "classified" is placeholder for events or information not established. My idea is for the River Plate to gain responsible government in the early 1850s (maybe after a minor rebellion?), settle the Pampas in the late 1850s (mainly by state-sponsored Anglophone settleres), reach a political dreadlock between Anglo-platineans and Spanish-Platineans in the late 1860s/early1870s paving way for a federalization between the provinces giving rise to a Dominion/Confederation inside the Empire maybe in the 1880s. What do you think?

Also, would this nation end up called Argentina ("silvery") like IOTL or would it remain Plate or River Plate, like Canada which mantained the French name (albeit with different pronunciation).
Perhaps there should be an alt-Boer war, with the "Union of La Plata" vs the British?
I think that "Argentina" might be the name of onw of the provinces within the Platte Colony

Well, the name Argentina is as old as from 1587, so yeah, the name would probably be used somewhere. It will depend on what the British name the dominion (yes I want the Plate Colony to become a Dominion).

The thing with the Gaucho Republics is that while it can work, it wouldn't be an analogue to the Boers, mainly because to the other side of the Gaucho Republics there are more Spanish Speaking countries. Also they would probably not unify without Buenos Aires having its influence. Many Centralist Criollos (now I realize that Criollo Republics is a good name) would probably flee to Cordoba, but the country wouldn't be unified.

Nice wikipage! - I like Beresford being the first Governor General (although you misspelled it).

Oh, yeah, here's some critiques on the Wikibox so far:
1. "City" should be capitalized (Quebec City).
2. English should, technically, be another spoken language -- it may not be the state language, but at least a recognized one,
3. No religion section (would include Roman Catholicism and Protestantism)
4. IRL, the Province of Quebec's currency was called the Canadian pound. It's fine to have Canada form a new currency as it was independent (Vermont had the Vermont copper as its currency). I'd propose something like the Canadian copper (again, based off of Vermont), or the Canadian livre (based off of the French currency at the time -- livre was also French for pound).
5. The years of a country's existence aren't links.
6. 1789-1792 are bold for no discernible reason here.

Other than that, it should be good.

Thanks for the corrections.

The Sol was the French copper coin. That's why I picked it. the bolding is an error, I forgot to leave the layer before setting the font to what I needed for the next thing and didn't notice.

No, I'm not disagreeing. I have very few ideas on how to flesh out the Plate flag, though.

I could try my hand at that, I've made a number of Coats of Arms before, and they tend to be what gets put on red/blue ensigns. Do y'all think that the Brits would base the coat of arms of preexisting Spanish ones or make a new one?

Are you liking the flags I've made so far?
I could try my hand at that, I've made a number of Coats of Arms before, and they tend to be what gets put on red/blue ensigns. Do y'all think that the Brits would base the coat of arms of preexisting Spanish ones or make a new one?
It would probably put the Cross of Burgundy somewhere on it.

Are you liking the flags I've made so far?

It would probably put the Cross of Burgundy somewhere on it.

I was thinking of drawing inspiration from the old coat of arms of Buenos Aires:

498px-Arms_of_Buenos_Aires_(Flag).svg.png

As it stands, imagery that could be included is: Water, Black eagles including eagle chicks, the cross of burgundy, and that weird cross on this coat of arms. It would also likely include the British crown. Are there any other animals that you think might find their way onto the coat of arms as supporters? Anything that's common in the area (maybe a Guanaco, Alpaca, or Llama)

And yes, love the flags.

View attachment 485022

2a.
View attachment 485023
2b.
View attachment 485024

3a.
View attachment 485029
3b.
View attachment 485030

View attachment 485031

TBH I might just go with the Carillion. Mainly because of how these flags look when there's not much wind and the flag is limp. They blue ones would be indistinguishable from British blue ensigns and other mostly blue flags, the tricolor might look like a french flag without wind, and the revolutionary-inspired ones have text, without it they're too simple. The Carillion is very convergent but it's also a good looking, distinct flag. Since I'm going with a convergent flag tho, I might go with the Patriote flag since its creation was closer time wise to Québec's integration into the union TTL...

A few variants of the same design for the Plate colony flag (this is only the first design, corrections & criticism are welcome).

plate colony ensign big.jpg

another one:

plate colony ensign 1.jpg

some worse ones (using the British Honduras blue ensign as a base)

plate colony flag 2.jpg

plate colony flag 3.jpg

Last edited:
A few variants of the same design for the Plate colony flag (this is only the first design, corrections & criticism are welcome).

View attachment 485262
another one:

View attachment 485265

some worse ones (using the British Honduras blue ensign as a base)

View attachment 485267

View attachment 485268
I love all of them. Would probably choose the second one.

By the way, this is what I was thinking would be the full (greater) coat of arms:

Looks nice!