Unfortunately I don't see a justification for Labrador being its own state, given its incredibly low population. Maybe make it a territory, and create another state somewhere else if we want to keep the number at 52?
I agree here. Labrador has never been independent, instead switching from Quebec to Newfoundland in the early 19th century. Either have it as part of the State of Canada (which would probably piss the shit out of the south), or make it a territory -- merge it with the territory forming half of IRL Quebec and we can call it Labrador Territory.

May I suggest to take the straight border with Mexico south so that it begins on the end of the non-straight border?

Also, we can name one of the yet-unnamed states 'Sherman', in honor of the broker of the *Connecticut Compromise and first *President of the Congress (if that's still canon) or any other early important figure. And 'Columbia' in OTL British Columbia is a bit convergent, isn't it? Americans called the whole area Oregón, I don't see why they would come up with Columbia ITTL.

Last edited:
And 'Columbia' in OTL British Columbia is a bit convergent, isn't it? Americans called the whole area Oregón, I don't see why they would come up with Columbia ITTL.

It's named after the river, which was named after a ship, by Robert Gray in 1792. His voyages might get butterflied, and Columbia is a bit of an overused name anyway.

May I suggest to take the straight border with Mexico south so that it begins on the end of the non-straight border?

Also, we can name one of the yet-unnamed states 'Sherman', in honor of the broker of the *Connecticut Compromise and first *President of the Congress (if that's still canon) or any other early important figure. And 'Columbia' in OTL British Columbia is a bit convergent, isn't it? Americans called the whole area Oregón, I don't see why they would come up with Columbia ITTL.

I think that with the changes since that conversation, the title might just be president since the "Connecticut Compromise" is fairly similar to the OTL one, just giving more power to the senate (for the sake of equal state representation) and a bit more autonomy to the states (we've abandoned some of the funkier ideas). However, Sherman is still a good name, as he's likely to be the first president TTL due to his involvement in the compromise and the decreased popularity of the Federalists with whom George Washington was unofficially affiliated.

I think that with the changes since that conversation, the title might just be president since the "Connecticut Compromise" is fairly similar to the OTL one, just giving more power to the senate (for the sake of equal state representation) and a bit more autonomy to the states (we've abandoned some of the funkier ideas). However, Sherman is still a good name, as he's likely to be the first president TTL due to his involvement in the compromise and the decreased popularity of the Federalists with whom George Washington was unofficially affiliated.
I kind of imagine that Washington stands up in one of the long, boring debates, shouting "if I had known that politics would be this much of a bother, I'd have retired to the back country and lived in a Wigwam!"
Storms out, and retires, permanently, to Mount Vernon

I kind of imagine that Washington stands up in one of the long, boring debates, shouting "if I had known that politics would be this much of a bother, I'd have retired to the back country and lived in a Wigwam!"
Storms out, and retires, permanently, to Mount Vernon
God, I love this. I kinda want to write a little excerpt on this, gimme a hot minute and I'll have one typed out

Quote # 1: George Washington's "Indian Country" Speech
Following the putting-down of insurrection, Washington felt an obligation to see out the drafting of a new constitution. However, as the months drawn on, Washington became further and further perturbed, writing in his diary of the daily injustices the Founding Fathers created for their nation through partisanship and factionalism. This culminated when, on one day, Washington stood in front of the men of Congress, and he swore to them. "I swear upon the highest order," he allegedly said, "if I had known that America was a doomed nation -- as evidenced through the squabbling of you so-called men known as 'politicians' -- that I would have surrendered myself to the Indian Country years ago! Our nation is built upon the words of corrupted and factional men, and as such I resign myself from the world of cruelty and wickedness known as Politics. Good-day to you all!"
From that day onward, Washington became a sort of pariah, living the rest of his life in Mount Vernon.
- The Days of Confederation: The History of America During the Constitutional Convention

Since we've given a lot to the Democrat-Republicans, maybe we should leave the Capital in New York city or Philadelphia?
Philadelphia makes sense -- it's more centrally located ITTL. The only other one that might work is Trenton, NJ, which was another capital of the USA (I believe when Philly was overrun by the British). Or a constructed city near either Philly or Trenton.

Philadelphia makes sense -- it's more centrally located ITTL. The only other one that might work is Trenton, NJ, which was another capital of the USA (I believe when Philly was overrun by the British). Or a constructed city near either Philly or Trenton.

I was thinking Philadelphia because of its historical significance and central position (also because I'm bad at naming things and so didn't want to name a constructed capital). I assume that there would still be a federal district, because the other states would be pissed if the capital was in Pennsylvania. Would it still be likely to be called the District of Columbia or would it have a different name?

Unfortunately I don't see a justification for Labrador being its own state, given its incredibly low population. Maybe make it a territory, and create another state somewhere else if we want to keep the number at 52?
Or we could merge East Texas with Louisiana and make it 50 States just like IOTL.

I know, but I meant that I like that region being separate.
Yeah, I know, I was kidding you.

Alright, so, @Višeslav, do you wanna be the one responsible for coming up with the Presidents? Because I'm happy to help if you need it! I'll, probably also dabble in working on state flags, too -- at least some of 'em. With the states being more sovereign than IRL, there'd probably be more of a reason to have more distinctive national banners (especially coastal states that would have their own navies/trading ships).

Alright, so, @Višeslav, do you wanna be the one responsible for coming up with the Presidents? Because I'm happy to help if you need it! I'll, probably also dabble in working on state flags, too -- at least some of 'em. With the states being more sovereign than IRL, there'd probably be more of a reason to have more distinctive national banners (especially coastal states that would have their own navies/trading ships).

I'd appreciate the help. You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable people here when it comes to early US politics. Definitely more informed than me. As for flags, I love the idea of the US not having so many ugly asѕ blue flags with state seals slapped on them and seriously doubt I can come up with 40 of them, so you're input in both fields is more than welcome.

Speaking of Presidents, we (meaning anyone replying to this thread) should figure out the way the parties change and what new ones form some time soon. I doubt it'll be Federalists and Dem-Reps forever. Of course, I expect that that won't be a problem for the first batch of presidents, and besides, I'm still wasting time on that damn timeline summary just from the ARW to Napoleon, and that Republic of Canada/Quebec wikibox (my computer can only take full screenshots so if I want a respectable resolution, I have to make the whole thing in photoshop, including a great seal, the current version of which looks like the label on a fцсking maple syrup bottle so that's not going great).

If you like, I can help out with the State flags, especially in the Northeast