Seeing as Christmas is only a few weeks away I wanted to ask what would have happened had it ended the war? Be it by being larger than it was in OTL or by the fact that nobody would resume fighting post-truce. How would this affect the rest of the 20th century?

Well I imagine it'd be the most awkward peace treaty ever if all your units just mutinied and refused to fight on both sides.

Well I imagine it'd be the most awkward peace treaty ever if all your units just mutinied and refused to fight on both sides.

Will didn't that happen OTL some just didn't resume the fighting after playing games and joking with the opposing side and the higher up's put a stop to any such thing happening after it.

More seriously, even if it doesn't work a longer Christmas truce might get news, and lead to a snowball effect of making the war more unpopular, possibly ending it earlier

More seriously, even if it doesn't work a longer Christmas truce might get news, and lead to a snowball effect of making the war more unpopular, possibly ending it earlier

I can't imagine the war was ever really popular but yeah a longer one should help ease international relations and end the war earlier and that may snowball into Adolf Hitler never rising to power. World War 2 may still happen but the loss of life should be far lower than in OTL. After all if the war ends he can't rightly use that to fuel his rise to power.

I can't imagine the war was ever really popular but yeah a longer one should help ease international relations and end the war earlier and that may snowball into Adolf Hitler never rising to power. World War 2 may still happen but the loss of life should be far lower than in OTL. After all if the war ends he can't rightly use that to fuel his rise to power.

If the war ends in like, March 1915 due to wide spread disobedient troops and plunging moral and popularity on the home front, Herr Fuhrer will die in total obscurity. Or perhaps he'll be remembered as a beloved german stand up comedian or science fiction writer. Who knows.

No real chance of it, considering it was a localized affair and the troops had, on the whole, no real issues going back to business when the time came.