Section 10: The Dawn of a new Era
“In March of 1512, it became clear that Anne de la Tour d’Auveregne was pregnant, much to the joy of Henry of York. Queen Elizabeth of York and Henry VII would write to their son to congratulate him on the news, as would Margaret of Scotland, Princess Mary and Catherine of Aragon and her kids. Henry of York was eager to become a Father as well.”

- J.J. Smith, “The Bold Prince: Henry, Duke of York”​

“In 1512, Henry VII sent the final version of his will to Parliament. In it he stated that he wished for Henry of York to serve as Lord Protector for Arthur, Prince of Wales, should he die while Arthur was in his minority. He also requested Regency to end formally when Arthur turned 15, with an advisory council helping him govern until he turned 18. He also requested Elizabeth of York be given an annuity of 3,500 Pounds per year, 1,500 more than in the previous draft of his will. He also requested Catherine of Aragon be given an annuity of 100 Pounds in his will and that she be given the title the King's Mother upon her son’s ascension to the throne. Most of the other details from the first draft remained the same.”

- Alex K. Chandler, "Henry VII: From an Exile to a King”​

“In mid-1512, the second of Henry’s many Annes appeared. This was none other than Anne Stafford, the Baroness of Hastings via marriage. Anne was visiting Henry and his wife at Middleham Castle with her husband in the Summer. It is believed that this is when the affair began, for after the visit Henry began writing to Anne Stafford regularly and showering her with gifts, not befitting the wife of a Baroness, but rather a Princess.”

- Tyler Scott, “Henry and the Annes”​

“I must confess that I find myself pregnant, yet unmarried! God has cursed me; I will be locked away in a convent if my Lady finds out!”

- An extract from a Letter from one of Anne of Auveregne’s maids to her parents back in France. It was discovered in the 18th century. Letter dated to circa 1511.​

“Not long after Anne Hastings fell pregnant. While her husband George never questioned the pregnancy, there were whispers that Henry may be the Father of the unborn child. The child, a boy would be born in early 1513, and was named William, after his Great- Grandfather. However, the boy is reported to have had blue eyes, just as Henry of York did and a nose similar to that of the Duke of York. While this is alone is not substantial evidence that Henry was William’s Father, it does seem like a very real possibility.”

- Miranda Jones, “The Secret Bastard? The Life of William Hastings”​

“In August of 1512, Henry VII finally decided to send Prince Arthur and Prince Henry to Ludlow Castle to continue their education. Henry had hesitated to send them there, for fear they would share the fate of their Father. However, it seems that at last he overcame this fear. With them he sent many great statesmen and scholars, such as Thomas More, Bernard André and Polydore Vergil.”

- William J. Samuel, “The Education of the Tudor Princes”​

“In October 1512, Anne de la Tour gave birth. The child was a remarkably healthy and strong boy, who was named Henry, after his Father and Paternal grandfather. Henry of York was over the moon at his son’s birth, and the burgeoning York family would journey to London so that the boy may be baptised. Henry’s Godparents would be Arthur, Prince of Wales, James IV of Scotland and Princess Mary.”

- Post on HISTORY.Net​

“By all accounts, Arthur, Prince of Wales and Henry, Duke of Somerset enjoyed their time in Wales. For Arthur, the setting was nice and calm, a perfect place to pursue his studies. For Henry, it provided a new setting full of adventure and new friends. The two of them must have loved Ludlow. So, it must have been a blow when, in the New Year of 1513, they were told that they would have to leave Ludlow, for their Grandfather had passed away.”

- Joel Maddow, “The History of the Tudors”​

Last edited:
He also requested Catherine of Aragon be given an annuity of 100 Pounds in his will and that she be given the title Queen Mother upon her son’s ascension to the throne.
Would this title really make sense? Wouldn't it be more likely that she would be called Catherine, the King's Mother, like Margaret Beaufort was called after Henry VII's ascension to the throne?

Would this title really make sense? Wouldn't it be more likely that she would be called Catherine, the King's Mother, like Margaret Beaufort was called after Henry VII's ascension to the throne?
Was Queen Mother not just title given to the Parent of a Monarch, regardless of gender? Though you do make a good point I'll go fix it.

Was Queen Mother not just title given to the Parent of a Monarch, regardless of gender? Though you do make a good point I'll go fix it.
I think that the title of Queen Mother denotes a rank similar to Dowager Queen, but with the added honors of acknowledging the fact that she is also the mother of the current monarch.

I think that the title of Queen Mother denotes a rank similar to Dowager Queen, but with the added honors of acknowledging the fact that she is also the mother of the current monarch.
Oh okay, I changed it to King's Mother anyways as you suggested. On second thought that's the title Catherine would receive since there is already a precedent for said title.

Historically Queen Mother not given as a title in Britain till 1952. It was only given as Queen Elizabeth II's mother was also a Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Dowager was Queen Mary.

Historically Queen Mother not given as a title in Britain till 1952. It was only given as Queen Elizabeth II's mother was also a Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Dowager was Queen Mary.
Ah I see. I changed it to King's Mother as that was how the Lady Margaret Beaufort was styled.

Oh excellent, nice to see that young Arthur is doing alright, though hopefully the pressures of kingship aren't too much for him. Henry being Henry as always 😂.

Nice update! I do have a question, though-isn't 100 pounds rather a small amount for Catherine to receive as her annuity? Since the Queen Dowager Elizabeth is getting 3,500 pounds, Catherine only getting 1/35th of that seems really small (and in the OTL, Elizabeth Stafford, Duchess of Norfolk, complained about receiving only a 200 pound annuity from her estranged husband).

Nice update! I do have a question, though-isn't 100 pounds rather a small amount for Catherine to receive as her annuity? Since the Queen Dowager Elizabeth is getting 3,500 pounds, Catherine only getting 1/35th of that seems really small (and in the OTL, Elizabeth Stafford, Duchess of Norfolk, complained about receiving only a 200 pound annuity from her estranged husband).
I figure the 100 pounds are mostly symbolical, Catherine has income from her dower lands and doesn't need them.

Oh excellent, nice to see that young Arthur is doing alright, though hopefully the pressures of kingship aren't too much for him. Henry being Henry as always 😂.
Thank you! Indeed, though then again he and Henry of Somerset have been trained to be the Kings of England since birth, so they should adjust quickly enough. As for Henry there’s only more on the way!
Thank you! I agree with Catherine of Aragon, but she is the Spanish Ambassador to England and so will receive income from that (which I’d imagine would be in the thousands if not tens of thousands) and as @Victoria said she has her dower lands to help provide her income. So the 100 Pounds is just a symbol and also a tad bit more money to help provide for her.

Thank you! Indeed, though then again he and Henry of Somerset have been trained to be the Kings of England since birth, so they should adjust quickly enough. As for Henry there’s only more on the way!

Thank you! I agree with Catherine of Aragon, but she is the Spanish Ambassador to England and so will receive income from that (which I’d imagine would be in the thousands if not tens of thousands) and as @Victoria said she has her dower lands to help provide her income. So the 100 Pounds is just a symbol and also a tad bit more money to help provide for her.
Ah, okay! Thanks!