The Cause Endures: The Presidency of Edward M. Kennedy

The Cause Endures: The Presidency of Edward M. Kennedy
ted12_1469373c.jpg

Last edited:
A Good Night on Chappaquiddick:
On July 18th, 1969, Senator Kennedy hosted a party on Chappaquiddick Island, which included six women who worked on Kennedy's brother Robert's 1968 Presidential campaign. While Kennedy was tempted to leave the party with one of the six women, Mary Jo Kopechne, he concluded that he was in no condition to drive and instead stayed at the party until his chauffeur, John Crimmins was ready to drive him back to Edgartown. Once returned to Washington, Kennedy told a reporter that "it was nice to be reunited with those that worked so tirelessly on my late brother's campaign for the Presidency." When asked if he himself was considering a run for the Presidency in 1972, Kennedy said "three years in politics is a long time. Right now I'm focused on serving the people of Massachusetts and seeking their support for re election to the Senate in 1970."

The 1970 Midterms. The Whip Stays Whip:
The 1970 Midterm elections took place on November 3rd and President Richard Nixon's Approval ratings stood at 58%. The Democrats would see a net gain of 12 seats in the House, while Nixon's Republicans would net a gain of 3 seats in the house, with Congressman George Bush narrowly defeating Senator Ralph Yarborough,* and conservative party candidate James Buckley won the New York Senate Seat that was once held by the late Robert Kennedy, reducing the Democratic Senate Majority to 52 seats. Upon leaving a victory party in Boston, Senate Majority Whip Kennedy told a crowded hall of reporters that "We had a disappointing night in the Senate. However I can say that the Democratic Party still had a good night, with the gains in the House and with the 11 Governorships we gained. I think both of those show that there's a great deal of discontent with the present administration." When asked if running for President, Kennedy said "I will come to a decision by this summer. There's a lot to consider when making such a decision."

On January 3rd, 1971, Senator Ted Kennedy kept his position as Senate Majority Whip winning 33 votes to West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd's 19 votes, keeping the position with more votes than he had received when he first won the position in 1969.

Last edited:
On July 18th, 1969, Senator Kennedy hosted a party on Chappaquiddick Island, which included six women who worked on Kennedy's brother Robert's 1968 Presidential campaign. While Kennedy was tempted to leave the party with one of the six women, Mary Jo Kopechne, he concluded that he was in no condition to drive and instead stayed at the party until his chauffeur, John Crimmins was ready to drive him back to Edgartown. Once returned to Washington, Kennedy told a reporter that "it was nice to be reunited with those that worked so tirelessly on my late brother's campaign for the Presidency." When asked if he himself was considering a run for the Presidency in 1972, Kennedy said "three years in politics is a long time. Right now I'm focused on serving the people of Massachusetts and seeking their support for re election to the Senate in 1970."

I've always wondered what could have happened with Ted Kennedy's political career if it hadn't been for Chappaquiddick. I look forward to reading your TL.

No on 1972:
On May 1st, 1971, at a press conference in Boston, Ted Kennedy announced that he would not be a candidate for the Democratic nomination in 1972. He said that "After months of serious thought and consideration, I have decided that running for President at this time would be wrong. Wrong for my family and wrong for myself. I pledge to do whatever I can for whoever emerges as our party's nominee, so that our Democratic party is victorious in November of 1972." Kennedy made this announcement despite the fact that polling showed even or ahead of candidates like Edmund Muskie, Hubert Humphrey, and George McGovern.

June 17th, 1972. The Watergate Break In:
On June 17th, 1972, five men were caught breaking into the Democratic National Committee Office located inside the Watergate complex in Washington DC. They were there to steal documents and bug the office phones. The five men were believed to be apart of the committee to re elect the President as phone numbers to the White House were found among the burglar's belongings.

Hype!

For all that we talk about it, not actually done that much because Kennedy didn’t want to be President—excited to see how/why that changes. Or heck, stuck into it via expectations also works. It’s not like anyone trusted him beforehand because they all assumed he’d run for President.

Camelot’s End by Jon Ward is quite good so far, about the Carter-Kennedy battle plus mini biographies of both. Frankly when I opened this thread I was expecting to see an AH take on 1980 because of reading it lol

Edit: via 538
BA81A3A7-0911-498C-9184-3D3FC163A0C0.jpeg

Last edited:
McGovern Secures the Democratic Nomination. Nixon wins the General Election:
The 1972 Democratic Convention started on July 10th and on that day Senator George McGovern secured the Democratic nomination for President after a contentious primary battle, which saw one candidate, George Wallace get shot and nearly killed by gunman Arthur Bremer. This event gave all candidates secret service protection and even saw Ted Kennedy, who was not a candidate receive secret service protection due to the assassinations of his brothers.

McGovern, who still hadn't picked a running mate, reached out to Senate Majority Whip Ted Kennedy to see if he would accept the position. Kennedy turned him down, but people around Kennedy suggested Congressman Wilbur Mills of Arkansas and Boston Mayor Kevin White. Once word got out that White would be picked, the Massachusetts delegation threatened to boycott the convention. However, Senator Kennedy intervened and urged them not to do so and White was picked. The long fight over the Vice Presidential selection and role call caused both candidates to give their acceptance speeches late into the final evening of the convention. The convention was considered by many to be a disaster.

In August Nixon gave a speech to the American people clamming that he was not at all involved in the break in at the Democratic headquarters. With this, Nixon's visit to China, and an arms limitations treaty with the Soviet Union, as well as a poorly run Democratic campaign, Nixon went on to win the November election in a landslide:

President Richard Nixon / Vice President Spiro Agnew (Republican): 507 Electoral Votes, 58%
Senator George McGovern / Mayor Kevin White (Democratic): 31 Electoral votes, 41%

genusmap.php

Watergate Investigations heat up, Nixon fires top aides, Vice President Agnew Resigns:
On April 30th, 1973, with the investigation into the Watergate Scandal heating up, President Nixon announced to the nation that H.R. Halderman and John Ehrlichman, two of his closest aids have resigned as did John Dean, Special Counsel to the President. Nixon also said that he would be appointing a new Attorney General to replace Kleindienst, who Nixon said was too close to those involved in the case.

Just over 6 months later, on October 10, 1973, Vice President Spiro Agnew plead no contest to tax evasion and resigned from the Vice Presidency. Just two days later, Nixon appointed House Minority Leader Gerald Ford to replace Agnew. Ford would be confirmed by the Senate on November 27th and by the House on December 6th. Ford would take the oath just one hour after the House confirmed him.

The Downfall of the Nixon Presidency:
Throughout the rest of 1973 and 1974, the Watergate Investigations continued. It was revealed that a taping system was in the Oval Office of the President and on October 20th, 1973 Nixon ordered Attorney General Elliot Richardson to fire Special prosecutor Archibald Cox. Richardson resigned in protest, as did Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus. Solicitor General Robert Bork eventually carried out the order to fire cox. The episode would be known as the "Saturday Night Massacre." Transcripts of the President's recordings as well as the tapes themselves, after the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that Nixon's claims of executive privilege to not release the tapes were void. With this and with the Smoking Gun tapes, Republican Congressional Leaders along with Senator Barry Goldwater met with Nixon to tell him that Congressional support for him was no longer there for him to survive Impeachment and Conviction in the Senate. On August 8th, 1974, in a televised address, Richard Nixon announced his resignation to the Country, marking the first time a President resigned. The resignation would be effective at noon the next day.

Nixon Leaves, Ford is Sworn in, Nixon is Pardoned, and a Vice President is appointed:
Richard Nixon left Washington on the morning of August 9th and returned to California. Vice President Gerald Ford was sworn in as the 38th President of the United States shortly after. After taking the Oath of Office, Ford declared to the American people that "Our long National Nightmare is Over." The new President, who was neither elected to the Presidency or the Vice Presidency, not only had the fall out of Watergate to deal with, but also had an economy in deep recession along with rising inflation. President Ford would start his Presidency with an approval rating of 71%.

On August 20th, Ford announced that after thorough vetting, he was nominating Texas Senator George Bush to be Vice President of the United States. His top competitor for the job was former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller. Bush said in a press conference that he was honored to be chosen to serve as Vice President and that he would work with President Ford to restore trust in Government. Bush would be confirmed by the House and Senate and sworn in on December 19th of 1974.

On September 8th, in what he felt was in the best interest of the Country, President Ford issued a full unconditional pardon to Former President Nixon. Ford, who years later, would justify the decision by saying Nixon's acceptance of the pardon was an admission of guilt, saw his approval ratings plummet. The economic woes that Ford inherited would also continue.

The 1974 Midterm Elections:
The 1974 Midterm elections saw a Democratic sweep due to Watergate and the pardon of Nixon, recession, and Inflation. The House would see a net gain of 49 seats for the Democrats, pushing them over a 2/3rds majority in that chamber. It also saw them gain 4 Senate seats and 4 Governorships. Many of the new Democrats elected, called "Watergate Babies" were elected to reform Government and also wanted to reduce the strength of the more conservative southern Democrats, who controlled most of the committees.

On January 20th, 1975, in a convention hall in Boston, Senator Edward Kennedy, who refused to run again for his position as Senate Majority Whip after the 93rd Congress, had an important announcement to make. In the crowded hall Kennedy said to a crowd of people and supporters that:

"This Country over the last two years has been torn apart by corruption and scandal and is in desperate need of healing so that the challenges of our time can be met. Fourteen years ago today, my Brother in his Inaugural Address said to 'Ask not what your Country could do for you.' but to 'Ask what you can do for your Country." In recent weeks I've asked what I could do for our Country and I feel that I must run for the Presidency of the United States. I feel that I must because our Country needs a President that is not tainted by the scandals that have plagued our land and can restore faith in our sacred institutions. I feel that I must because our Country needs a President that is committed to putting our people back to work, is committed to ensuring that every American has access to healthcare, and is committed to making men and women equal under the law. The world needs a leader that can bring about lasting peace and do so without war. My fellow citizens I ask for your support today to unite our Country and solve the problems that desperately need to be solved."

Kennedy was now the third candidate to declare a run for the 1976 Democratic nomination. He joins former Governor Jimmy Carter, who announced in December of 1974 that he was running, and Former Oklahoma Senator Fred Harris, who declared a little over a week earlier than Kennedy.

Looking forward to this--very interesting. I remember how much Chappaquiddick hurt him when he did run.

This is very good! It’s fast paced but informative, and you touch upon some of the underlooked parts of his career (like Byrd vs Teddy).

Ford makes a Decision:
On July 8th, 1975, President Ford announced to the nation that he would be a candidate for President in the 1976 Presidential election. Ford says he runs with strong support from friends and family, that he will keep his campaign from becoming partisan, and that the office of the Presidency will remain his first duty. Meanwhile, former California Governor Ronald Reagan, who had been critical of the President from the right wing of the Republican Party, had yet to announce his candidacy for President, despite movements from Conservatives to draft him.

Polling taken two days after the announcement by the President showed him only narrowly leading Governor Reagan by a 49-47% lead among Republican voters. In a head to head match up with Senator Kennedy, Ford trailed Kennedy by a 56%-41% margin. Reagan fared worse against Kennedy, losing by 58-39%.

November 1975. Two Candidates Announce:
On November 5th, 1975, Former Alabama Governor and former third party Presidential Candidate George Wallace announced that he would be seeking the Democratic nomination. Wallace said in his speech to a crowd in Birmingham that "The time is now for fresh leadership. America doesn't want a Washington insider as their President and they don't want someone who's gonna ride his family name to the White House. In my many years in public life, I've seen America and I can give this country the leadership it deserves. I've often talked about bringing law and order to our Country, and I promise you that I will first bring it to the part of our country that needs it most. Washington D.C. Thank You and God Bless America."

Later that month, on the 20th, California Governor Ronald Reagan, after spending months traveling across the nation, gave a televised address announcing his candidacy to challenge President Ford for the Republican nomination. Reagan said that "Over these last few year Government has gotten too large and wasteful. I am running for President to put a stop to that. Together we will work to reduce the size of Government, cut spending, cut taxes, and put the power back in the hands of the people. We will also rebuild our defenses so that we can say to our children that we kept America safe and free. Thank you for listening, Goodnight, and God Bless."

The 1976 Iowa Caucus:
The Iowa Caucuses took place on January 19th, 1976. On the Republican side, Governor Reagan narrowly, and to some observers surprisingly defeated President Ford by winning 48% to President Ford's 46% of the vote. In his victory speech to a crowd of cheering supporters, Reagan said that "Tonight is only the beginning of our journey to get the Government off the backs of the American people and this beginning wouldn't be possible if not for the great people of Iowa, and I thank them from the bottom of my heart. Now it's off to New Hampshire, thank you and God Bless." President Ford in his speech congratulated Governor Reagan and said "This was a close contest and the race is far from over. This spirited campaign continues."

On the Democratic side, after spending many months in the state, Governor Jimmy Carter won the Iowa caucus with 49% of the vote to Senator Kennedy's 45%. George Wallace and Fred Harris each won 1.5% of the vote while 3 % of the vote was uncommitted. Governor Carter said in his speech "The people of Iowa have spoken tonight and they, like many throughout this great land want a change in Washington and voted accordingly." Senator Kennedy, who spent little time in Iowa, issued a statement congratulating the former Georgia Governor and thanked all those who supported him. After tonight, many who thought this contest for the Democratic primary would be a walk for Senator Kennedy, now wondered, after being beaten by a little known Governor of a small state, if the Democrats were going to see an actual contest for their party's nomination.