The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Did you guys figure it out
I've managed to play one game with Goldwater on easy. The real challenge is to not lose big, not to win. There are plenty of bad events happening which demolish your chances, such as the Daisy ad but also others. Still not clear if it's better to be pro-segregation or to come moderate on it. Still I've been able to flip from OTL many traditional GOP states such as Idaho, Wyoming and the Dakotas.

Last edited:
I did not know there was a reddit on the Campaign Trail, but there is, and yes people have figured out how to produce their own scenarios. I followed the admittedly complicated instructions on how to port the relevant code and was able to play 1964 as Goldwater.

The problem was that the questions weren't very good. I think doing these scenarios right takes a lot of time, and you really need to get a history nerd to work together with a computer nerd who can code. However the scenario was playable.

I switched to a pro-civil rights legislation position and emphasized the more libertarian aspects of Goldwater's platform. I would have liked to be able to pick a different running mate than William Miller, but going to the wikipedia page on the election, the only alternative I could find would have been Walter Judd, who sounds like he would have been worse. The problem is that Goldwater's choices for running mate were really limited and Miller actually wasn't that bad as far as modern VP candidates go.

I carried the six states Goldwater carried (Arizona and the Deep South), despite backtracking on civil rights, plus Indiana and Utah, but the national popular vote percentage margin was worse for Goldwater, 33.8% instead of the historical 32.5%. However, this seems to have been an artifact of the scenario developer not accounting for minor party candidates. In the actual election, they got just under 0.5% of the nationwide popular vote (0.3% for a slate of unpledged Democratic electors in Alabama), but I also ran 0.4% behind Goldwater's nationwide popular vote percentage. I did this on Normal.

I played Romney 2012 Normal. I did better than almost 99% of players and this time I won Wisconsin.

genusmap.php

Mitt Romney: 321 electoral votes
Barack Obama: 217 electoral votes

I also won the popular vote by 3.01% this time.

I did not know there was a reddit on the Campaign Trail, but there is, and yes people have figured out how to produce their own scenarios. I followed the admittedly complicated instructions on how to port the relevant code and was able to play 1964 as Goldwater.

The problem was that the questions weren't very good. I think doing these scenarios right takes a lot of time, and you really need to get a history nerd to work together with a computer nerd who can code. However the scenario was playable.

I switched to a pro-civil rights legislation position and emphasized the more libertarian aspects of Goldwater's platform. I would have liked to be able to pick a different running mate than William Miller, but going to the wikipedia page on the election, the only alternative I could find would have been Walter Judd, who sounds like he would have been worse. The problem is that Goldwater's choices for running mate were really limited and Miller actually wasn't that bad as far as modern VP candidates go.

I carried the six states Goldwater carried (Arizona and the Deep South), despite backtracking on civil rights, plus Indiana and Utah, but the national popular vote percentage margin was worse for Goldwater, 33.8% instead of the historical 32.5%. However, this seems to have been an artifact of the scenario developer not accounting for minor party candidates. In the actual election, they got just under 0.5% of the nationwide popular vote (0.3% for a slate of unpledged Democratic electors in Alabama), but I also ran 0.4% behind Goldwater's nationwide popular vote percentage. I did this on Normal.
This is just a demo mod to see what they can do

If it was a demo, they did a great job at just being able to produce a campaign trail scenario.

They need to work on the questions, give Goldwater some strategic options, and make the responses sound more like Goldwater, the actual campaign trail scenarios are great at getting the responses to sound like they came from the historical candidates. I also wonder if they had looked into the algorithm on how the player's action shifts actual votes in each state, but this is something I think could be improved with the existing scenarios. It is a lot of work, for something that can't be monetized.

However, if hobbyists can start producing scenarios, and the better quality ones get imported to the main site, that would be excellent.