The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Here's an example of a decent Bryan win using what I've come to find is a pretty effective strategy. Sometimes I'll also get Wisconsin, and I think I got New York once or twice before too, and on the other hand, sometimes I lose Maryland and one or two other Midwest states but still win handily. This is going with a lot of the stuff said here. generally going moderate, I've found that there's generally little need to visit the west coast and that even without going there, it should be possible to usually win those states by around 5%.

And in a different direction, here's a McKinley win with a kind of interesting looking map (not legit tho)

I get nationwide popular vote wins and electoral college defeats with Bryan quite frequently.

However, I've gotten a nationwide popular vote loss and electoral college victory as Bryan by giving one speech in New York, getting the Tammany Hall question, Bryan gives a pro-Tammany Hall answer and carries New York. Usually the pro-Tammany Hall answer just costs Bryan votes in the Midwest without carrying New York, but on occasion he will carry New York and that is enough to win an electoral college victory. However, in most games, the question doesn't come up.

If Bryan goes to the West Coast, he carries those states, though it seems to come at the cost of Indiana.

It seems a moderate pro-labor, moderate on other policies than labor and silver coinage, go to the West Coast is the right strategy, but Bryan is still at a disadvantage and you are still at the mercy of the randomness of the algorithm to win. Granted, I have not tried running with Stevenson as Bryan's running mate and that might be the key.

No this isn't even remotely correct. You have to be Moderate on just about every policy that it is possible to be Moderate on without edging towards Republican arguments or "out there" ideas, including the Labor and Silver issues; if you don't Moderate on those two you are going to lose a lot of potential support in the Midwest and Pacific West. In doing so you should have California and Oregon more or less secured, meaning all your attention can and should be focused on the Midwest where the true battleground is.

Here's a Bryan run I just did. I tried to go for New York, which didn't work and probably cost me Wisconsin, but overall I did fairly well

I tried some of the strategies suggested above as Bryan (Stevenson as running mate, moderate or slightly left answers, no going to the West Coast).

It wasn't a fair trial, since I got both the Tammany Hall and the Hearst questions, and gave pro Tammany and pro Hearst answers.

Unfortunately, the game link URL did not work, so I can't link to the results or see how much better than I did with standard Bryan. Bryan carried the West Coast and New York, but lost Illinois, Indiana, and West Virginia by narrow margins, and probably would have gotten Illinois and Indiana at least, which had more EV than New York, without the Tammany Hall question. He also lost Maryland, Delaware, and North Dakota, all of which are winnable by Bryan in other situations. EV count was 236 to 211, and popular vote percentage was 51.2% for Bryan to 47;.6% for McKinley.

I've been playing around with the newer 2016 scenario as Trump, and have noticed that there is not much you can do as Trump. Yes, you can tone down his act somewhat and act more of a traditional conservative, but these don't seem to have much effect. I actually did a try to win as Trump on easy, and a self-sabotage of Trump on impossible, with different VP picks and completely different answers, and got the exact same result back to back in terms of states carried and almost the same in terms of popular vote percentages.

Best self sabotage of Lincoln yet, though it was on impossible. Drove Lincoln down to third place in the popular vote and fourth place in the electoral vote:

There were 3.1% of games on impossible where Lincoln did worse.

Has anyone had any success in sabotaging the post 1968 Democratic candidates,, to the point where they don't even carry DC?
I doubt it and I doubt it is even possible (unless you use exploits/hacking). Democrats generally start with something like 90% of the vote or more, and while you can make some big shifts with "sabotage" games, there's still only so much you can shift things even with a terrible campaign. I've seen some talk about an older version of the game where you could do a 25 question game or a 100 question one, and maybe the 100 question one would give enough room for shifting it that much, but with just 25, there's only so much you can do to lose a 90% lead

Actually, wait, I think you can do it in 2000 though, if you run as far right as possible, and also get lucky by getting all 3 or 4 of the potential questions that give you a bigger boost than usual to Nader. I think I've also seen some games where Nader takes RI and MA that way, maybe? But I'm pretty sure you can at least get him to take DC that way. I don't think there's any legit ways to get a Republican to take DC but that at least works to get it not Democratic

WIth a Gore self sabotage on impossible, where Gore still did better than in 24% of the games on that level, always giving the most right wing answers possible as Gore, Nader got within 4,000 votes of carrying DC. Other self sabotages of Democrats on impossible, even in games where the Democrat did worse than in 92% of the games on that level, DC has never been close.

Really the million-dollar question regarding Bryan on Normal is whether he can win New York without taking equivalent losses in the Midwest consistently (we're talking surpassing 318 EVs), and given how rare the Tammnny Hall and Hearst questions are, it's hard to vet such a strategy.

08DA29E4-A4EE-4727-BD93-692BB1844ED8.png
319D0C2B-D074-46F0-A8DD-84741EBED5BB.png

Lost the PV but won by 7,000 votes in FL handing me the election. A weird result I was not expecting considering it’s a reverse 2000 except with a weird combination of states. I ran as a somewhat conservative/independent Democrat going more right wing on Abortion and Gun Control.

Ironically I lost the PV more than Bush IOTL yet won more EV. Even better is Nader did better (and he generally get’s blamed IOTL for taking Gore votes). It would be fun to see the Republicans react to this election ITTL.

Last edited:
I’m going to assume the guy will add 2020 in the next week or he’s working on more elections or he’s busy I’m supried I was able to wait this long for it I don’t play the game at all any more because I know how to win every election the worst case is that he might add it in the summer he never answers his emails so we will have to keep waiting

I’m going to assume the guy will add 2020 in the next week or he’s working on more elections or he’s busy I’m supried I was able to wait this long for it I don’t play the game at all any more because I know how to win every election the worst case is that he might add it in the summer he never answers his emails so we will have to keep waiting
Yeah, it's pretty sad he doesn't answer his emails, there are a lot of questions I'd be interested to hear the answer to. I wonder if he knows about this thread.
I think there's so much more potential in Presidential Election games and except for this one and President Infinity you just have stupid fictional flash games and Satire stuff.
I really want more election simulators/games! :(

Barely won as Dukakis on impossible, though I lost the popular vote. I picked John Glenn as running mate, was very moderate, and attacked Bush at every opportunity.
F2B3AE46-3E6F-4CA9-AF86-220FD900D793.jpeg

Last edited:
So I've been playing this for a month or so and I something I've noticed is the 1988 scenario seems too easy for Bush even on impossible.

My best game ever considering all the elections, without cheating. Also the first time I got more than 500 EVs, winning 44 states. Although on easy, this is probably the largest landslide possible with Carter, as the closest Ford state, Arizona, was lost by 4.5 points. I campaigned mostly in Kansas and Indiana, followed by Connecticut, Michigan, New Hampshire and Vermont.
Notably I won Colorado by 0.32% (3.600 votes) without even campaigning there.
Other closest states: Vermont (1.500 votes/0.84%), Kansas (20.800 votes/2,09%), Indiana (58.000 votes/2.52%), New Hampshire (12.200 votes/3.49%), Connecticut (53.000 votes/3.93%).
I made Wyoming R+7 !!! At the same time I won tipping point Iowa by just 9.55%. It's incredible how the country was less polarized back in the 70s...
I apologized for Playboy, had a lucky debate, went middle of the road in the relation with the Soviets, and gave non-committal answers on abortion, death penalty and the economy.
Schermata 2021-01-22 alle 00.51.46.png

Schermata 2021-01-22 alle 01.09.59.png

In detail: Safe --> +10% Likely --> +5%-+10% Lean --> +1%-+5% Tilt +0%-+1%

My best performance ever as Bryan in 1896, playing as normal:

The site said that this is better than 77.6% of the games as normal as Bryan. Its the first time I've carried Iowa and I think Illinois as Bryan. I've won as Bryan before, but it usually involves sweeping the South and West, including the West Coast, carrying all the border states but Maryland, plus Indiana, though I have had a few wins where Bryan carried New York.

I took the advice of other commentators, had Stevenson as my VP, and did not go to the West Coast, though I did campaign in the border states. I made the single speech in New York for the publicity, and did not get the Tammany Hall or Hearst questions. Questions were pretty standard. I made a strong appeal to the industrialized workers, campaigned with Atgeld, went easy on Cleveland, appeased the South, was anti-tariff but moderate about it, and pro-income tax, and resisted the temptation to come out in favor of nationalizing the railways.

Bryan got 51.9% of the nationwide popular vote in this game and 264 electoral votes. He carried every state west of the Mississippi except for Minnesota, and all the southern states and border states except for Maryland, along with Indiana and illiinois. But I nearly did even better. The only state outside of New England where McKinley got over 55% of the vote was Pennsylvania, where he got 55.1%. The McKinley margins in Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, and Maryland were less than 2%, and he carried Ohio by less than 5,000 votes.