The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Here's a 2016 Clinton win on normal that I got a week or so ago using the seemingly optimal strategy of basically going to the right/emphasizing attacking Trump as opposed to policy issues as much s possible. Ended up with the 2020 map plus NC and FL, an electoral college vote of 350-188, and a 6.6% popular vote margin, with a raw vote margin of 9.1 million votes

Looking at how I did in some of the states closely lost, I figured it should be possible to do better and win those states plus Texas, at the least, for a potential best outcome on that difficulty

So I did a bunch of games focusing on Texas and very narrowly failed each time to take the state, until now. I got this win, with a weird looking map because I was able to narrowly gain Texas, but failed to take Arizona, with the map otherwise being the same as the first game. For an electoral college vote of 377-161, and a 6.7% popular vote margin, with a raw vote margin of 9.2 million votes (nearly identical to the above in terms of national popular vote). My best so far, though it could be possible to do better and take AZ and TX, at least

And speaking of Dukakis running people over...

A few years ago, I got this win as Dukakis on normal, winning the popular vote by a margin of 8.29%, which was 0.57% better than the margin that Bush won by OTL, though in the electoral college Dukakis does 4 votes worse than Bush. Trying to do better, I'd figured that it would be possible to get that map plus Indiana and Alabama - but repeatedly closely failed, losing one out of three of OK, IN, or AL even in the best of cases

But this time I got lucky - with this win, doing about 1% worse in the popular vote than the above win, but winning all three of AL, IN, and OK, for an electoral college win of 443-95

Has anyone tried to contact the developer? I wrote him an email once with no response... The last time we heard from him was in July, and he said he wanted to bring out the 2020 scenario in October before the election... now it's December already... I just need new content! What do you guys think about organizing an effort to develop a bootleg or something similar?

Has anyone tried to contact the developer? I wrote him an email once with no response... The last time we heard from him was in July, and he said he wanted to bring out the 2020 scenario in October before the election... now it's December already... I just need new content! What do you guys think about organizing an effort to develop a bootleg or something similar?
He may be waiting for electoral college to certify the election

These things take time, and the developer is just one person who has been busy with real life stuff for a while and only recently got back to having any time at all to put towards this stuff. And with how the election went, it could very well be that they put off on doing much with it until recently, in order to see how the results turned out and how the campaign unfolded

I want new content too, but let's not be too hasty with the creator, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 game came out in the first couple months of next year, and that's speaking as someone who doesn't know anything about coding or how much time the creator puts towards this so it could very well be even longer? Sure, in July (?) they said they'd shoot for having it out before the election, but with making stuff it can be easy to underestimate how long it will take

So talking about developing a bootleg, well, that could take much longer than it would take to just wait for the creator to, well, create, unless some of us here are secretly really good coders and game designers and also have a lot of free time on their hands

Now that being said, that got me thinking. I vaguely recall seeing some discussion about making a spin-off for British elections by a user or a couple users on here. This could have been over 5 years ago and also could have been no more than idle musings rather than any even remotely serious attempt to even just plan it out let alone do, but I do think it is an interesting idea

1988 Electoral college tie as Dukakis on impossible. I then won in the House, but I really wanted to win Ohio, which I lost by just 2906 votes. I also won the popular vote by 350k votes. I always attacked Bush on everything, but I always attack him in the only question I don't have to do so as well (that was my only error). I was also lucky to win the debate, as without it I would have likely lost Michigan.
Probably I just wasted time in New Jersey as well, which I lost by 3% and is a lost cause on Impossible.

Schermata 2020-12-03 alle 22.04.49.png

Last edited:
Probably I just wasted time in New Jersey as well, which I lost by 3% and is a lost cause on Impossible.
Apparently it isn't, actually. I figured I'd try a few games on impossible, started with campaigning in TX, KS, KY, AR, and DE but lost all of those states, then wrote off AR, and didn't even bother campaigning in NJ any time. After a couple tries, I managed to get this win, with a fairly narrow 3.9% popular vote margin, but a sizable electoral college margin, of 387-151, and even managed to win NJ by 6000 votes despite not campaigning there at all

Did okay as Nader:
1607052853310.png

Was actually competitive in DC:
1607052912192.png

But this map look horrible I must admit:
1607052954830.png

But as Wallace I never got much better than this: (I won Florida once but didn't get it on camera)
1607055465064.png

How? Did you use cheats? I never really get over 4,8 or so percent with Nader...
No. I normally get about 5-6% with Nader. But if you look it up on the internet you can see people who won a lot more. So I think it has a lot to do with chance (I'm a very skilled player with over 1,000 games played, and in one other I picked basically the same answers and only got 6%). But with Wallace, I just went as racist as possible.

No. I normally get about 5-6% with Nader. But if you look it up on the internet you can see people who won a lot more. So I think it has a lot to do with chance (I'm a very skilled player with over 1,000 games played, and in one other I picked basically the same answers and only got 6%). But with Wallace, I just went as racist as possible.
Wait, were these playing *as* Wallace and Nader? Those look like the sort of maps you'd get if you played as Nixon and Gore to sabotage them I'm a way that boosts the third party candidates. As Nader, I recall it being pretty much impossible to even get him up to around 5% on easy, at least without exploits like the spacebar glitch thing, and the thing that makes it really weird is seeing Gore do so bad, when even with the "Bush gets a boost in the final stages of the campaign" thing, the popular vote is generally within 5 or so points rather than a whopping 24 point blowout for Bush. As for Wallace, winning those states that he won doesn't seem so crazy, but it usually ends up with a Nixon win or at most a hung electoral college rather than a Humphrey blowout. I'm curious about what strategies were used here

Wait, were these playing *as* Wallace and Nader? Those look like the sort of maps you'd get if you played as Nixon and Gore to sabotage them I'm a way that boosts the third party candidates. As Nader, I recall it being pretty much impossible to even get him up to around 5% on easy, at least without exploits like the spacebar glitch thing, and the thing that makes it really weird is seeing Gore do so bad, when even with the "Bush gets a boost in the final stages of the campaign" thing, the popular vote is generally within 5 or so points rather than a whopping 24 point blowout for Bush. As for Wallace, winning those states that he won doesn't seem so crazy, but it usually ends up with a Nixon win or at most a hung electoral college rather than a Humphrey blowout. I'm curious about what strategies were used here
Well, with Wallace it is actually easy. You just have to stand out as a true conservative choice with your question answers and focus on the upper south- MS, AL, GA, LA, and potentially AK are basically a given- so I focused all of my efforts on TN, NC, and SC only. I didn't sabotage Nixon by playing as him and being a radical leftist, rather I just completely avoided saying anything about Humphrey and focused all my attacks and energy on Humphrey. Also in this case the peace negotiation sabotage absolutely killed Nixon.

Managed to top my previous 2016 Clinton best on normal with this run. Basically getting the Biden 2020 states plus NC, FL, and TX (managing to get AZ, which was the one state I didn't last time). Also came within 2% of winning IA and OH, but idk if those states could be won while also taking Texas - all effort was needed in that state, with it being won by just 0.05%, just 4,340 votes. Overall national popular vote just 0.1% better than my previous best, with a similar raw vote margin, and with an electoral college win here of 388-150

Nader has actually managed to win DC by 23 votes in my latest Gore self-sabotage run
Screenshot_6.png

He also lost Rhode Island by a margin of only 0,5%, and Massachusetts by about 1,5 % anyone here managed to get him to win these 2?

Last edited:
Running as Kennedy/Johnson on an economically liberal, hawkish foreign policy, I lost by 157 (with 366 for Nixon and 14 for Byrd) while winning most of the Eastside and, strangely, I also got the Deep South with a pro-Civil Rights platform.
dummy.jpg

Managed to top my previous 2016 Clinton best on normal with this run. Basically getting the Biden 2020 states plus NC, FL, and TX (managing to get AZ, which was the one state I didn't last time). Also came within 2% of winning IA and OH, but idk if those states could be won while also taking Texas - all effort was needed in that state, with it being won by just 0.05%, just 4,340 votes. Overall national popular vote just 0.1% better than my previous best, with a similar raw vote margin, and with an electoral college win here of 388-150
What strategy did you use?

What strategy did you use?
The same one I used in the previous one I did a page or two back. Just campaign the whole time in Texas. And basically focus on attacking Trump and/or going about as right wing as possible, rather than going economically populist and focusing on the issues. For the first few questions, I did the 50 state strategy, deflected with the 20 million emails option on the emails question, and went hard against terrorism rather than against Trump or guns after the shooting. Don't fully reject Bernie, but do the "we have no choice" waffle on the first one, and with the second one, just "a few small promises" if that one comes up. Took the most anti undocumented immigrant and anti refugee stances available. On the Hollywood access question, used the one pointing out Trump fondling Rudy Giuliani in drag. And on the ones after that, just deflect to Russia. And then get lucky because even with that strategy it is easy to lose Texas and possibly GA and AZ too

Interesting Truman -Dewey result on normal:

This was an attempt to play as Truman but to drive up both the Wallace and Thurmond vote as high as possible at the same time. This means mostly but not a complete self-sabotage for Truman. Truman's positions were pro-civil rights, as hardline anti-communist as possible, mostly anti New Deal (except for low income housing, which I figured, probably incorrectly, would play badly in the South) and anti-labor, and no recognition of Israel. I've self sabotaged Truman to the extent of driving the Wallace vote to 13%, but it didn't work this time. I did get Wallace to 7.6% and Thurmond to 2.6%, so not bad, while Truman still managed to finish within 3% of Dewey. Interesting map without much of a pattern as to how states flipped.

In one of the first post here, a commentator posted that the best strategy for Clay was to equivocate at first on Texas annexation, then to oppose it. I just tried that strategy on normal, and thought about it, and it makes sense. Its really the only way for Clay to finesse a victory.

In past games, I have usually come out in favor of Texas annexation at the start, and would almost always fail to carry New York and Pennsylvania and lose, though I got quite a few Clay cases of Clay prevailing in the nationwise popular vote. But Clay coming out at the start against annexation got even worse results, including results comparable to my Clay self-sabotage.

In the last game I tried equivocating, then opposing annexation. I still denounced Cassius' Clay letter and remained silent on the gag rule.

Its a mathematical issue. Clay needs 138 electoral votes to win. He will always carry Kentucky, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Vermont, even self sabotage games, for a total of 48 electoral votes. Polk will always carry New Hampshire, Maine, Michigan, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and South Carolina (delivered by state legislature), for a guaranteed 63 electoral votes. Virginia is normally close, but the only times I've seen it go to Clay on normal is in Polk self sabotage games. I've seen Clay win Indiana, including when losing, but not that often, so for strategy purposes assume Polk will carry both and will and their 29 electoral votes.

There are 275 electoral votes nominally at play, but 111 will always go to either Clay or Polk on normal, leaving 164 at the most really in play. Clay needs 90 of the these. But you can usually count on Polk getting Virginia and Indiana and their 29 electoral votes, and Clay getting New Jersey and Delaware and their 10 electoral votes. That leaves Clay with having to get 80 votes from somewhere out of 125. New York and Pennsylvania combine for 62 electoral votes,;Ohio has 23,; North Carolina and and Tennessee have 24; and Louisiana and Georgia has 16.

Clay has no path to victory without New York and Pennsylvania. The only slightly realistic shot is by Clay winning his core states of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, Maryland, and Kentucky, plus New Jersey, Ohio, Delaware, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, and Virginia, for 150 electoral votes. But he absolutely needs Virginia, which on normal is always close but always goes for Polk, but also Ohio, where he will lose too many votes to Birney with a hard southern strategy. And a hard southern strategy, which I've tried, is disastrous since it goes to much against Clay's earlier positions.

The problem with coming out with annexation at the start is that it makes Clay sound too radical. It seems that Clay has to be seen as treating the issue as not very important, then coming down more on the free soil side.

In the game I just tried, Clay got a 167 to 108 electoral vote victory, but he lost the nationwide popular vote, 49% to Polk for 48.8% to Clay and 2.2% to Birney. Its the only time I've seen Clay win in the electoral college and lose the nationwide popular vote, I've seen the opposite lots of times. He won New York, with Fillmore as his running mate, by 0.5% and Pennsylvania by 0.1%. The system stated that Clay's performance was better than 96.8% of the games played so far on normal.