The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

FYI on the 1936 scenarios on the New Campaign Trail (use the mod loader).

There is a question on Nazi Germany and fascist Italy, and if you give the "they are based and red-pilled" answer, its an instant loss. As FDR, you will lose fairly narrowly, as Landon you will win no states and get under 30% of the national popular vote. The question alone seems to knock about 10% of the historical national popular vote percentage. Playing around with self sabotage, nothing else you can do does nearly that amount of damage.

Based on my reading about the period, I happen to think there was more interest and admiration in what Hitler and Mussolini were doing in the 1930s, particularly among the American elites, than the scenario creator thinks. There was a real sense that totalitarian dictatorship was the wave of the future, and one important aspect of FDR's historical legacy is that he headed that off. FDR would have been hurt by a favorable comment towards Italy/ Germany, since it contradicted his policies and people were attacking him for being a dictator anyway. I actually don't think Landon would have been hurt that much, and might even have gained support on net.

Anyway, if you are try9ng to be competitive, give any answer but the red-pilled one to the fascism question. Landon seems to have no chance on Normal whatsoever, and its hard to get FDR to lose even with self-sabotage.
Landon can win on Normal with a Landon/Borah ticket. It's not too hard if you know exactly what you're doing, as long as RNG isn't too terrible

Attachments

• Landon.png
    Landon.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 51
I went back to the original game and tried the 1916 scenario playing Hughes. There is a discussion of the 1912 election in another folder that got me interested, and its hard but possible to win as Hughes.

I keep getting Electoral College wins and popular vote defeats as Hughes for some reason. This was no exception:

It was normal and apparently this is a better result as Hughes than 70.8% of the results on normal. This was the first time I saw Hughes carried New Mexico (with a 99 vote margin), so that was noteworthy.

So how did Hughes get an 11 vote margin in the Electoral College but lose the nationwide popular vote by 2.62%? Of the eight states carried with less than a 2% margin, seven went for Hughes (NM, KS, WV, DE, MN, ME, CT) and one for Wilson (WA), distributing 49 electoral votes to Hughes and 7 to Wilson. The New England states split 5-1 for Hughes (the exception being New Hampshire), but all were carried by margins of less than 4%. States west of the Mississippi, including the four southern ones, split 14-8 for Wilson, but 5 of the 8 Hughes states and only 2 of the 14 Wilson ones were carried by margins of less than 4%.

Hughes has to run a schizophrenic campaign. In this case he picked the progressive running mate and emphasized his progressive record, while criticizing actual progressive legislation. He came out for a woman's suffrage amendment. He pretty much endorsed Wilson's policies as regards to World War I, but with a good deal of Irish baiting.

Important update: the original creator of the site, Dan Bryan, has created a 2020 scenario at https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/

The site is pretty easily overwhelmed though, so you might get quite a couple application errors. It is being added to the new campaign trail ASAP though, so if you don't feel like dredging through the site being down, wait for that

Important update: the original creator of the site, Dan Bryan, has created a 2020 scenario at https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/

The site is pretty easily overwhelmed though, so you might get quite a couple application errors. It is being added to the new campaign trail ASAP though, so if you don't feel like dredging through the site being down, wait for that
Sweeeet.

Are you still doing mods for New Campaign Trail?