The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

I've been running scenarios trying to maximize the third party vote. This was a 1948 campaign on normal, running as Truman, trying my best to maximize the Thurmond and Wallace vote:

Not bad. I got the combined Thurmond and Wallace national popular vote percentage up to 11%. Also, while Truman got only 40.8%, nine points behind how he did IOTL, Dewey's national popular vote share went up by only 2%, so most of the defections from Truman were to Thurmond and Wallace.

Interesting and somewhat random electoral map.

This wasn't strictly a self-sabotage, the idea was for Truman to run a competent campaign while going out of his way to piss off segregationists and the left. IOTL, he tacked left and got the Wallace vote down to under 3%.

Dukakis/Jackson on normal. Did well in the debate, never really make a bad choice on any other question...still lost by over 200 electoral votes. As often seems to happen, the final polls were a bit too friendly.

Dukakis/Bentsen impossible difficulty. Debate was inconclusive. Didn't refer to myself as liberal trended middle on death penalty and abortion. Went hard after the selection of Quayle, contrasted Dukakis's origins to Bush Sr's, mentioned Iran-Contra, mentioned getting federal help for farm crisis and Texas oil crash, tried to bounce back from attacks on foreign policy and to vetoing of law requiring school to start with pledge of allegiance. Plus tried to frame gun control around national crime but still lost: 289 to 249.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 1.39.16 pm.png

Last edited:
trump.png

Did pretty well with my Trump push, mainly went a little bit more moderate, but kept up the attacks on Clinton and picked Christie as a running mate.

Who are your favorite running mates for each of the scenarios? Also, what is the best result that any of you ever got with a third party candidate?

The new 2016 scenario is great, and I'm glad to see development continue. I started out this game trying to be "Rockefeller Trump" but ended up just apologizing alot, and somehow that won me Minnesota while losing Michigan. That's "Minnesota Nice" for you I suppose.

Also, Maine can't split its votes! Sad!

2016map.png
2016stats.png

Holy crap, just noticed the revised 2016 this game put out! Managed to pull it off as Hillary with Sherrod Brown:

Playing around with the game to get a feel for it and I made 2016 even more cursed than it was. (2020 looms) Not just a Clinton winning a 2000-like victory to get to 279 votes...

2016 U.S. Presidential election in Wisconsin
Clinton, H. R. - 1,334,960 votes
Trump, D. - 1,334,896 votes
Johnson, G. - 170,142 votes
Stein, J. - 30,760 votes

The Libertarians spoiled the result by 64 votes.

ITTL there would be mass riots from Superior to Racine.

By the way, it's the closest result I've gotten, so woo new record!

Managed to get Alabama and Louisiana down to single digits; Texas, Mississippi and South Carolina down to a <2% win, and lose Georgia, North Carolina and Florida. Oh and all while still winning Indiana/Missouri by double digits and winning Ohio by >5%.

Did fairly well as Clinton/Brown, winning with a strong economically leftist message without going too radical and (probably) taking the Senate in the process. The Ohio win is very nice, I wasn't sure if it was possible to win that on Hard.

Overall I like the new 2016 scenario, still relies a bit on luck for events but much better than the old one. Seems to be a true tossup, I've won as both Trump and Clinton and it's usually close either way. As always, I feel Hard best simulates OTL, as normal is too easy and Impossible is unrealistically challenging.

Ooooooooooh crap. TIED updated 2016 with Hillary winning the popular vote by 3 million, but the Republican Congress electing Trump...

I just noticed they added another 2016! I won with Trump/Carson now I gotta try Hilary. Does anyone know if there are any further plans?

Won a more solid Trump victory than OTL: an actual popular vote victory, and in addition to OTL’s map, picked up Minnesota and Nevada.