The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

My most unexpected result in a game, bar none.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 12.56.43 PM.png

Does anybody knows how to unlock different scenarios (like 1992, 2008, 1820, etc)? I remember in the past there was an option to pay for Premium, which would unlock these scenarios. Do somebody has some information about that?

Does anybody knows how to unlock different scenarios (like 1992, 2008, 1820, etc)? I remember in the past there was an option to pay for Premium, which would unlock these scenarios. Do somebody has some information about that?

The Campaign trail used to give premium members access to a wider range of scenarios than those who played for free. Those without a premium account could only play 1896, 1968 and 2012.

Since then however, all scenarios have been made available for free, as the game designer is no longer interested in the project. It's a shame, because in my opinion, the simulator realistically captures the partisan lean of states in a way that a game like President infinity does not.

I'd be very interested in seeing an expanded set of scenarios myself. Maybe if enough members on this site are interested. 2004 would be a good place to start, or maybe updating the 2016 campaign.

The Campaign trail used to give premium members access to a wider range of scenarios than those who played for free. Those without a premium account could only play 1896, 1968 and 2012.

Since then however, all scenarios have been made available for free, as the game designer is no longer interested in the project. It's a shame, because in my opinion, the simulator realistically captures the partisan lean of states in a way that a game like President infinity does not.

I'd be very interested in seeing an expanded set of scenarios myself. Maybe if enough members on this site are interested. 2004 would be a good place to start, or maybe updating the 2016 campaign.
Unfortanetly (and being optimistic) they'll probably keep developing the game (if they do it) only in mid-2021, year after election. I think the game could begin let us answer the debates questions too (like in the 1960 election which Nixon always get schooled or in 2016), just to be more imersible. This game has so much potential

i think the 1896 election could be more challenging for bryan if the game gave the option of mckinley run with teddy roosevelt as his running mate.. in fact, that would be op
Considering Roosevelt became famous for his actions in the Spanish American War him being a VP nominee in 1896 is highly implausible

So I won a commanding victory against McKinley as Bryan/Matthews:

1588860354515.png

But was really surprising was the margin of victory in Delaware:

1588860417415.png

For the first time I have deadlocked 1860 as Douglas....
Only managed to carry four states, and finished 3rd out of 4 in the electoral college, but was enough to stop Lincoln winning and enough for Douglas to be a candidate in the House vote.

Rosenheim

Donor
Best game I've ever had as Bryan in 1896 on Normal Difficulty. https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1405749

Was only 95 votes off from winning Michigan, which would basically max out the plausible map for pick ups. Not 950 or 9500 votes. 95.

The next closest state (percentage wise) was Ohio which I won by 5000, followed by Maryland. Wisconsin is the next closest McKinley win, but that went 51.30 - 47.52, with him having around 17,000 more votes. A lot of the midwest was relatively close, but New York actually went relatively solidly for me somehow 50.0 - 48.4, (23,000 vote difference), so I likely would have one the contest even if a lot of the coinflip states went the other way by a few thousand votes.

Last edited:
Best game I've ever had as Bryan in 1896 on Normal Difficulty. https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1405749

Was only 95 votes off from winning Michigan, which would basically max out the plausible map for pick ups. Not 950 or 9500 votes. 95.

The next closest state (percentage wise) was Ohio which I won by 5000, followed by Maryland. Wisconsin is the next closest McKinley win, but that went 51.30 - 47.52, with him having around 17,000 more votes. A lot of the midwest was relatively close, but New York actually went relatively solidly for me somehow 50.0 - 48.4, (23,000 vote difference), so I likely would have one the contest even if a lot of the coinflip states went the other way by a few thousand votes.

How did you do this BTW?

Rosenheim

Donor
How did you do this BTW?
#1, pick Claude Matthews as your running mate. Quite frankly I think that his values might have been entered in wrong, as he gives you a nice boost compared to the rest of the field.
#2, ignore the West (you'll win it if you're pulling ahead anyway), focus soley on the midwest.
#3, moderate on everything but labor issues (who already distrust Bryan so he needs to go hard for them to win them over).
#4, keep the south happy (no condemning lynching, be okay with being in bed with the former Confederates, etc)

That typically will ensure a large win. The trouble is getting New York on board. To get it, you need to:
#1, Choose to campaign heavily in New York
#2, pray that some the New York related events pop up. When the Tammany machine comes knocking, I just promise them no prohibition as the country doesn't like it if you fully cave. That will give you a little boost in the state. Another event is whether William Randolph Hearst will support you. He wants you to back imperialism (Bryan was historically anti-imperialist for his time). Doing so will give you another small boost in NY and CA.
It's fully a crap shoot whether or not you'll win the state though, much less pairing with the wide victory above.

A strong electoral win in 1960 with a Nixon & Goldwater ticket. Goldwater really helps in the South (I even carried Texas, despite LBJ).
360 to 171 with 6 for Bryd. The popular vote was far closer though 51.3 to 48.7%.

Won with Hughes in 1916 with Elmer Burkett as my running-mate. Went anti-war, even attacking the British for the handling of the Irish rebellion.
It was 296 to 235 in the electoral college, but the popular vote was a squeaker with Hughes winning by just 18,271 votes nationally.

My first EVER victory as Clay in 1844! Been trying for ages and finally eked out an electoral college win by 584 votes in Pennsylvania. My strategy was pro-Texas annexation and anti-abolitionist, balanced by going heavily anti-nativist and pursuing a full blooded Whig tariffs/national bank/internal improvements programme to keep the North on side. It worked, just.

A Romney landslide with Rob Portman as my running-mate. 362 to 176 in the electoral college. I even carried Delaware by just 228 votes and Washington state by 37,100 votes.

Just played 2000 as Gore with Graham. It produced the same electoral result as 1996, 379 to 159, with just a state each flipping from 96, (Bush wins Kentucky, but Gore takes Colorado).