The Book of Mormon as an Alternate History

The Book of Mormon tells of a world where four main groups of Hebrew refugees from Palestine (the Nephites, the Mulekites, the Lamanites and the Jeredites) take an ark, built by a prophet Nephi, from West Africa to Brazil around the year 1500 BC. They take with them Old World crops, animals, and technology such as wheat, barley, horses, elephants, chariots and iron smelting. The four groups split off after reaching the Americas and form their own culturally diverse societies, millions strong, spreading from Argentina to the Great Plains. Eventually, war breaks out, and the Jeredites conquer the entirety of the Americas.

Assuming this actually happened, the Hebrews would surely come in contact with Indigenous Americans, not an uninhabited paradise. So I had an idea to use it as a PoD for an alternate history.

C. 1500, BC. The Hebrews just landed on the coast of South America, near Brazil. South America at the time was full of Native people who had built vast civilizations already. Assuming the Hebrews didn't just intermix into the Native population and instead remained separate, what would have occured next. How would the Native People react to relatively light-skinned, Hebrew speaking Jews? Would the Hebrews be able to create their own society in the Americas, living alongside the Native tribes?

I think you need to go to the ASB forum for this. The whole idea is simply preposterous. First off, they don’t have proper seagoing capabilities to even make it there, and second, they have no good reason to go all the way to the Americas and third, they and whatever they brought with them would most likely get destroyed anyway, probably by hostile natives. Or they intermix and become indistinguishable from the native inhabitants.

If they land in Amazonia, they'll find sedentary communities of manioc farmers. We aren't too sure how advanced they were, but they probably were organized into chiefdom-level societies. I've read a few scattered references about mound builders in the region at this point, but I'm not too sure. IIRC Tupi-Guarani speakers had spread throughout the Amazon Basin (but not down the Brazilian coast yet) by then, so they'd probably be the first to encounter the Hebrews. As for how they'd interact, depends. Are the Hebrews peaceful with the natives, and vice versa? Or is it the opposite?

Side note: aren't they claimed to have arrived in Central America? I think it had something do to with the Olmecs, since that culture started around the same time of their supposed landing.

A very interesting idea but definitely ASB. I'd be interested in reading a TL based around this.
I might post it in ASB. It just seemed an interesting idea. I just took West Africa - Brazil as the most likely route, but someone else mentioned Central America as where they landed.

If they land in Amazonia, they'll find sedentary communities of manioc farmers. We aren't too sure how advanced they were, but they probably were organized into chiefdom-level societies. I've read a few scattered references about mound builders in the region at this point, but I'm not too sure. IIRC Tupi-Guarani speakers had spread throughout the Amazon Basin (but not down the Brazilian coast yet) by then, so they'd probably be the first to encounter the Hebrews. As for how they'd interact, depends. Are the Hebrews peaceful with the natives, and vice versa? Or is it the opposite?

Side note: aren't they claimed to have arrived in Central America? I think it had something do to with the Olmecs, since that culture started around the same time of their supposed landing.
Thing is, Nephi told the rest of them America would be uninhabited. With vast civilisations already there, it'd be in the Hebrew's best interests to simply leave the Natives alone.

I got it wrong. Jaredites landed in North America on the east coast, Nephites landed in Central America. With this info, it'd be likely that the Jaredites would be successful in their settlement, with many of the crops which would have been brought by the Jaredites being grown on the east coast today. I'm not sure how well wheat and barley grow in Central America, however.

EDIT: Most of the crops which would have been brought by the Nephites are today grown in the more moderate areas of southern Brazil, Uruguay and northern Argentina today. While the Jaredites would be just fine growing wheat and barley, the Nephites would have to adopt maize, squash, corn and other Mesoamerican crops.

Nephi

Banned
You know even if it seems far fetching it's real to people who believe in it.

Including several members here, maybe it's best not to drag this one up?

Doing this would the Bible would be unacceptable, doing this with the Quran unacceptable, but apparently Mormonism is fair game?

Doing this would the Bible would be unacceptable, doing this with the Quran unacceptable, but apparently Mormonism is fair game?

Yeah, fair. I guess we shouldn't roast other people's holy texts too hard just bc we don't see them as plausible.

I should point out though that there have been Jesus TL's here now and again, and more (relatively) recently there's the excellent Islamic TL centered around the Prophet Muhammad's Companions - including an alternate compilation of the Qur'an! Though these what-ifs are centered around people and not holy texts, there is a precedent for a timeline based on real-world religions and involving heaps of theology.

But, that also comes with the caveat that you really need to know your stuff before dipping in, so you need to see first if the Mormon users here are OK with exploring your idea.

This isn't what Mormons believe in. Mormons believe that the Americas were uninhabited when the Hebrew's landed. This is a modification to the Book or Mormon where they aren't.

Nephi

Banned
This isn't what Mormons believe in. Mormons believe that the Americas were uninhabited when the Hebrew's landed. This is a modification to the Book or Mormon where they aren't.

Really?

Nephi is my RL name fyi, perhaps you're unaware as to why my parents would give me such a name, hint, they weren't Lutherans. ;)

Granted I admit I didn't read your op, you just kinda struck a nerve. The thing is I honestly don't believe any organized religion, but my name isn't something like Matthew, Peter, Jacob, Joshua. Any of those no one ask, mine, I'm not still living anywhere near Utah, it's sometimes a topic of conversation which is often of an unpleasant and demeaning nature.

Mostly it's from it seems quite acceptable to believe that Moses spoke to a burning bush, turned his rod into a snake, that Balaam's donkey talked, that Jonah was swallowed by fish, and lived, time stopped for Joshua ect, the Bible is full of events like that, but believe that a man in the 19th century was visited by an angel, and you're in a cult, or that's a stretch too far of a leap of faith, when in reality, Mormonism is no more and no less a matter of faith than any other religion.

No matter where or when or how in life I go I'll have a little connection.

And people sometimes don't even think of the inappropriate times to make comments.

Nephi that's a unique name, where did your parents come up with that, well... It's from the book of Mormon, oh, did you have two mom's, *sigh* no.

I'm sure you didn't actually intentional intended any offense, but, still.

Last edited:
But what? He is taking the narrative as written, then introducing "what if the accepted historical locals were there too"?

I'm not seeing any disrespectful behaviour here, nor has there been either a prohibition on religion-related PoDs or an absence of them.

As Al-numbers shows, there are PoDs in the heart of Christianity and Islam.

When I work closely with Mormon colleagues, I am politely respectful and curious of their religious and cultural experiences. I'm not seeing an attitude from the OP that's any different.

I'm honestly curious about this timeline, and I would encourage the OP to continue. Although if there is no deep dive helping enable a Hebrew diaspra to the western hemisphere, I would suggest a switch to the ASB forum.

Really?

Nephi is my RL name fyi, perhaps you're unaware as to why my parents would give me such a name, hint, they weren't Lutherans. ;)

I'm sure you didn't actually intentional intended any offense, but, still.
I'm not trying to be offensive here. I have seen some Biblical alternates as well. If the Book of Mormon is the same, why can't I make an alternate about the Book of Mormon? And you didn't even read the original post? Lol.

Nephi

Banned
I'm not trying to be offensive here. I have seen some Biblical alternates as well. If the Book of Mormon is the same, why can't I make an alternate about the Book of Mormon? And you didn't even read the original post? Lol.

What can I say, I'm an idiot sometimes ;)

Here’s an idea... Nephites and or Lamanities make contact with another tribe, say the Cherokee or the Ute. As a Mormon myself, I kinda like the idea

Btw, unlike Nephi, History Nerd 5000 is not my actually name