The Board Wargames thread...

Thanks to Macauley, one thing I've belatedly realized is that there is a small but dedicated group of board wargaming fans on here (not surprising, I guess, for a history-based website). Board Wargames were the 'D&D craze' of the 70's, being a small hobby that exploded in popularity and inspired a lot of companies to start up... and it declined and faded as something newer and shinier (RPGs) came along, until they are rather scarce today. I got into wargaming as a college student, and owned a pile of them; like Mac, the PB/PL/AIW series was a favorite. But I had/have quite a few others, so I thought I'd start this thread to see what the rest of you own/like.

One of my (other) favorites was a later game from Avalon Hill, "Firepower." This is a very tactical game... each counter represents one man. The game is set roughly 1960-1990, although you could probably go earlier if you wanted to, since nearly all WW2 weapons are included. The counters are various troops armed with assorted modern weapons (assault rifles, RPGs, etc.). The game includes PB-style 'geomorphic' mapboards that you can rearrange to make assorted terrain (one is a city street with buildings on all sides). The rules are heavy on initiative, and that's where the challenge lies... basically, you can give a few direct orders to your troopers and move a few of them, but most won't budge without it... unless you give orders to your command people, who can 'chain reaction' some of the grunts into moving. So you have to be really careful about who you give orders to, or you could find yourself facing an attack and unable to get the slowpokes out of the way. There are some neat scenarios, including a really good 'huge horde of NVA taking on a Green Beret base camp' straight out John Wayne. :)

so... the rest of you?

I was a big fan of the SPI / Avalon Hill / GDW games. The ones my friends and I played the most was the Europa Series (Fall of France / Battle of Britain / Western Desert / Torch series) as well as the ultimate game of the Eastern Front, Europa Fire in the East / Scorched Earth. Generally we played for several months, getting a couple of turns in every Friday night. These were division / brigade level games, with air units (50 aircraft each) and up to a couple of thousand counters on the map at a time. It took teams to make this work (at least 2 per side for the Russian Front)

The Avalon Hill game "The Longest Day" (nicknamed by us the Longest Game) was another favorite. Another big game, with a couple of thousand counters and needing teams of two per side to play successfully.

Panzer Blitz/ Panzer Leader / Arab Israeli wars (platoon tactical level) and then Squad Leader (and its variants)(squad level, with individual vehicles) was also played regularly as we could generally knock out a scenario in an evening.

The GDW game "Road to the Rhine" is probably the best division level game ever made for the board in regards to playability and accuracy (nicely balanced). That was 1944-45 battles along the Seigfried Line and included potentially trying Market Garden and Wacht on the Rhein if you were willing, or more rational strategies.

We played a lot of games my friends and I, and those stood out as the best.

My favorite was Blitzkrieg from A.H. My uncle gave me his copy back in '79. I liked it so much that I bought a copy of Tactics II and later eventually found a copy of the original Tactics at a Flea Market when I was in high school. Another favorite was Jutland, which you needed to play on a floor. Luckily my high school would let us use the gym for an hour or two after school.

A friend of mine in HS had War between the States from SPI. We never did finish a game of that one.

My favorite war games has to be Supremacy though. I still have with most of the supplements, but it has been years since I played. I do play the online version though.

Some of my favorites were

Empire in Arms-a multiplayer game of the Age of Napolean.

GDW's Third World War series.

AH's History of the World-not that historical but a fun game.

MrP

Banned
I missed out on the majority of this, but did find my uncle's old copy of Imperial Governor (conquer and rule the ancient Med basin) ages ago and just adore it. Combat and such is very simple, but the level of deceit that is encouraged makes it delicious.

When I was like 11 or 12 I bought the Advanced Squad Leader game (red-yellow box which sadly gathers dust behind my other boardgames).
I tried to go through the rules together with some friends at the time, but ended up only playing like half a scenario: I think it was a scenario between Fins and Russians, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, after playing my share of games through the years and coming across Settlers of Catan I became a German-type games enthusiast: my favourite games being games like Wallenstein, Samurai, Eufrat & Tigris and Funkenschlag.

GDW's Third World War series.

I have that one also (4 games, right?)... I could never find an opponent for this one though... too bad. I always thought a great way to spend a weekend would be to set up the entire series with all the maps connected and play out WW3 from Norway to Kuwait...

I was a big fan of the SPI / Avalon Hill / GDW games. The ones my friends and I played the most was the Europa Series (Fall of France / Battle of Britain / Western Desert / Torch series) as well as the ultimate game of the Eastern Front, Europa Fire in the East / Scorched Earth. Generally we played for several months, getting a couple of turns in every Friday night. These were division / brigade level games, with air units (50 aircraft each) and up to a couple of thousand counters on the map at a time. It took teams to make this work (at least 2 per side for the Russian Front)

I picked up a copy of "Their Finest Hour" in the Europa system, but lord, that system is just waaaay too complex and unit-heavy. One old but nice game I picked up a long time back is GDW's "Beda Fomm", about that key battle in N. Africa... not a huge number of units, but a heck of a well balanced game...

I still have the Avalon-Hill "Gettysburg" game. Really good at giving you a view of the limited options that Lee had, but also the possibilities that did exist for a southern victory. Aside from a few novels, it was my introduction to AH

so... the rest of you?

Wargaming? phew... I could write an encyclopedia and still not scratch my involvement in wargaming over the last nearly 40 years.

I was given a copy of SPI's Quad Folio Gettysburg by a relative who thought it was a magazine about the battle and never looked back. I still routinely play, have worked as a play tester for several companies, and constantly bounce between "map & chit" and "minis".

As the years have passed, I've grown to prefer games heavy on limited intelligence and C3I issues as opposed to the 500 Foot General model many games employ.

In the 70s, friends and I wore out our copies of SPI's PRESTAGS series while also playing most of the Avalon Hill line good, bad, and ugly.

Aside from the games usually mentioned, I quite liked VG's "Fleet" series, with all the optional rules naturally, AH's "MBT" and "TacAir", many of XTR's magazine games, Joe Miranda's near future "Millennium 2000" series.

Ah, the good old days. I started off with SPI's Kursk, then played a lot of PanzerBlitz/Leader, Squad Leader, 3rd Reich, Imperial Governer, Imperium Romanum (I&II), Federation Space, Federation & Empire, Supremacy & its many many expansions, War & Peace and many many more.

Good times;)

I still have the Avalon-Hill "Gettysburg" game. Really good at giving you a view of the limited options that Lee had, but also the possibilities that did exist for a southern victory. Aside from a few novels, it was my introduction to AH
I have AH's last version of Gettysburg (one of the last they did before going under)... it changed a lot from the first game back in the 70's... oversized counters and hex boards, etc...
Aside from the games usually mentioned, I quite liked VG's "Fleet" series,
I have those too (all 5)... never found an opponent for any of them, but I still enjoy taking the rulebooks out and reading the scenarios...

Ah, the good old days. I started off with SPI's Kursk, then played a lot of PanzerBlitz/Leader, Squad Leader, 3rd Reich, Imperial Governer, Imperium Romanum (I&II), Federation Space, Federation & Empire, Supremacy & its many many expansions, War & Peace and many many more.

Good times;)

I had several SPI games over the years, but only have two left now... "World War 3" (done in the early 70's; you can tell because South Vietnam still exists) and "The China War" (USSR vs. PRC, with NK and Vietnam on the fringes)...

Gaming

I graduated to board wargames from miniatures in 1974 with the S&T 'The East is Red' and I now have a mint copy again - still a neat simulation. The real fun of wargaming is that it is all alternative history. If the result of your game is always the historical result; then read a book. I recently developed my 'Steam and Steel' game from H.G. Wells ideas in 'The Land Ironclads'. I still have the classics from AH and I'm currently playing 'The Russian Campaign'.

MacCaulay

Banned
I suppose this is the place to say it...like Dave, I'm an Avalon Hill addict. Just last week, myself and two other guys played an all-nighter using the new Axis and Allies: 1940.

Avalon Hill, of course, got bought out by Parker Bros. and is now basically their boutique game line but it's good news for the A&A players because that means there's more brainpower going into new variants.

My next project (that I'm already designing) is going to be 4-player refighting of Operation Totalize, pitting II Canadian Corps against I SS Panzer Corps. I'll be using elements of 1 Panzer Leader set and 2 Panzer Blitz sets to make it work. (shout out to Dave for that!)

I should also mention that I took pictures of each turn of the A&A:1940 game, and the Europe ones didn't turn out half bad. The flash kind of makes it obvious that they're taken indoors but we're not exactly running a photo studio. If you guys are interested I can try and get my wife to show me how to put them up.
I plan on doing the same with the Operation Totalize Panzer Leader game as well.

I got introduced to board wargaming in the mid-'70's. My first two SPI games were "Invasion: America" and the quad-folio collection "Modern Battles". Not sure what happened to "Modern Battles", but I still have "Invasion: America" and its sequel/companion piece, "Objective: Moscow". (I wonder if "Invasion: America" could be used to wargame the "Where Were You at the Red Dawn" campaign over in Post-1900.)

I used to own a LOT of board wargames, mainly SPI (I was never that much into Avalon Hill's series, though I did - and do - still have several of their Victory Games imprint, which was staffed by several ex-SPI people after the latter's collapse). I still have a fairly decent collection stacked in my closet. As an AH fan, I have most if not all of XTR's offerings in that genre, including "Mason-Dixon" (which I think could easily be used to game HT's TL-191 series) and the very odd "NATO, Nukes and Nazis", as well as the second edition of "Tomorrow: The World" and "SS Amerika". I even own SPI's gigantic "War in Europe".

I loved NATO, Nazis, and Nukes. Some of those games that came in ziplock bags were the most interesting. It is another of those games that we never finished, no matter the scenario we started.

As to modifying your own games, I had set up an Axis and Allies game with some friends. I refereed until the fifth turn when I plopped down pieces from Fortress America to represent HT's Race from the Worldwar series. They thought it was a great thing to do.

I have a pretty sizeable collection of Avalon Hill's naval miniatures. The basic rules are pretty simple, and the game is really funny, even if I think battleships are hilariously overpowered.

For chit & paper wargaming, I am not very fond of strategic and grand strategic level stuff. I love GMT's Combat Commander -essentially a Crowning Moments of Awesome generator for WWII small squad combat; or ASL, only playable by regular human beings. I also own a couple of operational and strategical games.