The Black Eagle: A Hohenstauffen Timeline

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]THE BLACK EAGLE[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OTL[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The following year, taking advantage of a rumour that Conradin was dead, he was crowned King of Sicily at Palermo on August 10. The falsehood of this report was soon manifest; but the new king, supported by the popular voice, declined to abdicate and pointed out to Conradin’s envoys the necessity for a strong native ruler. The pope, to whom the Saracen alliance was a serious offence, declared Manfred’s coronation void. Undeterred by the excommunication Manfred sought to obtain power in central and northern Italy, where the Ghibelline leader Ezzelino III da Romano had disappeared. He named vicars in Tuscany, Spoleto, Marche, Romagna and Lombardy. After Montaperti he was recognized as protector of Tuscany by the citizens of Florence, who did homage to his representative, and he was chosen "Senator of the Romans" by a faction in the city. His power was also augmented by the marriage of his daughter Constance in 1262 to Peter III of Aragon.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Terrified by these proceedings, the new Pope Urban IV excommunicated him. The pope first tried to sell the Kingdom of Sicily to Richard of Cornwall and his son, but in vain. In 1263 he was most successful with Charles, the Count of Anjou, a brother of the French King Louis IX, who accepted the investiture of the kingdom of Sicily at his hands. Hearing of the approach of Charles, Manfred issued a manifesto to the Romans, in which he not only defended his rule over Italy but even claimed the imperial crown.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Charles' army, some 30,000 strong, entered Italy from the Col de Tende in late 1265. He soon reduced numerous Ghibelline strongholds in northern Italy and was crowned in Rome in January 1266, the pope being absent. On 20 January he set southwards and waded the Liri river, invading the Kingdom of Sicily. After some minor clashes, the rival armies met at the Battle of Benevento on 26 February 1266, and Manfred's army was defeated. The king himself, refusing to flee, rushed into the midst of his enemies and was killed. Over his body, which was buried on the battlefield, a huge heap of stones was placed, but afterwards with the consent of the pope the remains were unearthed, cast out of the papal territory, and interred on the bank of the Garigliano River, outside of the boundaries of Naples and the Papal States.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What if Manfred won this battle and did not perish?[/FONT]

Last edited:
Victory of Manfred of Sicily
The following year, taking advantage of a rumour that Conradin was dead, Manfred was crowned King of Sicily at Palermo on August 10. The falsehood of this report was soon manifest; but the new king, supported by the popular voice, declined to abdicate and pointed out to Conradin’s envoys the necessity for a strong native ruler. The pope, to whom the Saracen alliance was a serious offence, declared Manfred’s coronation void. Undeterred by the excommunication Manfred sought to obtain power in central and northern Italy, where the Ghibelline leader Ezzelino III da Romano had disappeared. He named vicars in Tuscany, Spoleto, Marche, Romagna and Lombardy. After Montaperti he was recognized as protector of Tuscany by the citizens of Florence, who did homage to his representative, and he was chosen "Senator of the Romans" by a faction in the city. His power was also augmented by the marriage of his daughter Constance in 1262 to Peter III of Aragon.

Kr%C3%B6nung_Manfreds.jpg

Coronation of Manfred of Sicily

Terrified by these proceedings, the new Pope Urban IV excommunicated him. The pope first tried to sell the Kingdom of Sicily to Richard of Cornwall and his son, but in vain. In 1263 he was most successful with Charles, the Count of Anjou, a brother of the French King Louis IX, who accepted the investiture of the kingdom of Sicily at his hands. Hearing of the approach of Charles, Manfred issued a manifesto to the Romans, in which he not only defended his rule over Italy but even claimed the imperial crown.

Charles' army, some 30,000 strong, entered Italy from the Col de Tende in late 1265. He soon reduced numerous Ghibelline strongholds in northern Italy and was crowned in Rome in January 1266, the pope being absent. On 20 January he set southwards and waded the Liri river, invading the Kingdom of Sicily. After some minor clashes, the rival armies met at the Battle of Benevento on 26 February 1266, and Manfred's army won and defeated Charles, Count of Anjou and killed Charles, Count of Anjou in action in Latium, the victory was a pyrrhic victory against the Papacy and the Angevins and Manfred forced the pope to lift his excommunication.

After the death of Charles, Count of Anjou, the body of Charles, Count of Anjou was found and sent to Provence to his wife, because of his winning he decided to make an offer to Conradin and that is marrying Beatrice, the daughter of Manfred to Conradin in order to secure Conradin's claim to the Holy Roman Throne and to have Conradin give up his caim to Sicily , King Louis IX has no lost love for the Count of Anjou when he was alive, now that Provence and Anjou are under a regency the King of France can declare both lands as fiefs of France and made Richard, King of Romans renounce Provence since it is now defacto a French vassal.

the offer to marry Conradin to his cousin was not accepted by Conradin but Conradin decided not to pursue his claim to Sicily because he realized that he is not a native ruler to Sicily and he needed to concede and the Sicilians don't like him and that Sicily would be better under Manfred, Beatrice is married to John IV Laskaris[1], the Basileus of the Eastern Roman Empire on 1267 in celebration of the winning of Manfred of Sicily, the marriage made Manfred of Sicily support him against the Palaiologos faction who want to rule all of the Byzantine Empire.

155px-John_IV_Laskaris_miniature.jpg

John IV Laskaris

Manfred of Sicily supported John IV Laskaris against his enemies and gave him soldiers and for that reason, John IV Laskaris is able to rule the Eastern Roman Empire again and because of the alliance, John IV Laskaris is able to focus on attempts on reconquering Anatolian lands from Rum and due to this, the Eastern Roman Empire became actually stable for a time and it avoided more crisis due to the help of Manfred of Sicily, Manfred of Sicily is happy because he has an ally against the pope and due to that, Manfred of Sicily is confident that the throne of Sicily would remain under the Hohenstauffens.
Manfred of Sicily told John IV Laskaris that he would help the Eastern Romans against the Empire of Rum and the Seljuks and he said the Turks needed to be expelled from Anatolia, John IV Laskaris was happy at what Manfred of Sicily said to him.

Manfred of Sicily decided that the Eastern Romans will need help from him so he decided to improve the Military of his Southern Italian realm.

Manfred of Sicily talked again to Conradin and told him about what is happening on Italy and his Eastern Roman alliance, Conradin reacted very happy that his uncle is maintaining the Kingdom of Sicily and that the Kingdom of Sicily would remain under the hands of the Hohenstauffen for a long time.

Last edited:
conrad.jpg

Conradin

On 1268, the Lombard league reformed are interested in appointing a new King different from the King of the Romans and it is Conradin who was the best candidate at that time.

The leader of the Lombard league said;
"Conradin looks perfect and he is related to the Holy Roman Emperors, he could be a good King for the Kingdom of Italy"

the other member said
"Yes, if Conradin can defeat all his enemies then the Kingdom of Italy can be independent from the "

Conradin was invited in Padua in order for him to be known by the new Lombard League.

Conradin was very shocked at the offer to him to be the King of the Kingdom of Italy.

He said
"I did not expect much support from the people of Italy."

Conradin recieves the crown from the Lombard league and was crowned as the King of Italy
Conradin said
"I will be a good king because I want to return the trust that you had given me!"

Conradin smiled at the Lombard league.

After sometime, Conrad I of Italy decided that he needs the support from the french so a marriage alliance is needed by France, he summoned ambassadors to tell the french king that Conradin is interested in an alliance with France against the King of Germany.

Louis IX felt very flattered at the proposition of marriage and it was decided by Louis IX that Margaret was assigned marry Conrad I of Italy.
Margaret of France rode a chariot with the ambassadors of Conrad I of Italy and her retinue not knowing what will happen to her once she arrives to Conrad I of Italy.

Conrad of Italy finally meets the young Margaret of France and meets Conrad I of Italy, the meeting was very pleasant at first but Margaret of France is very shy.

finally on 1269, Conrad I of Italy and Margaret are married which solidifies the alliance between the Kingdom of Italy and the Kingdom of France.

Many things happened after the unexpected win of Manfred...these are what had happened after the coronations of Conradin and Manfred until 1276.

-The Mongols from the golden horde raid the baltics crushing Novgorod, Polotsk and Lithuania resulting in the Slavs and Balts in the baltic region flee Southwest to Bohemia, Southwest Poland and Hungary.
-Beatrice of Sicily gives birth to a son named Theodoros.

1271-1272
-Conrad I of Italy starts a to war with Manfred of Sicily, Conrad I of Italy gained the County of Abruzzi from Manfred of Sicily, Manfred of Sicily remains as the King of Sicily due to the help of the Eastern Roman Emperor, the bughers of Lazio and Spoleto revolt and due to the help of the Lombard league and due to that Latium and Spoleto with the exception of Rome was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy ruled by Conrad I of Italy and due to that Pope Urban IV was humiliated but france won't intervene in the side of the papacy because France is allied with Conrad I of Italy.

-Manfred of Sicilia decided to betroth his daughter, Flordelisa to one of the future of Bohemia, the son of Ottokar, Nicholas in order to start and alliance between Bohemia and Sicily and to show the support of Wenceslaus to Ottokar of Bohemia and allies against the Habsburgs and King Conradin I of Italy, the Habsburgs are planing to get the throne of the Kingdom of Germany and Italy.

-Alfonso X of Castile dies and Ferdinand dela Cerda and his wife Blanche of France are crowned as King and Queen of Castile.

-Premysl Ottokar is crowned as the Holy Roman Emperor, although with opposition of Rudolf Von Habsburg which starts a civil war on Germany which Conrad I of Italy takes advantage of.

-Flordelisa marries Nicholas of Opava cementing the alliance between Sicily and Bohemia.

Last edited:
I have a few questions on Konradin von Hohenstaufen, though IMHO he probably would have tried to regain his birthright (Sicily) if he gets the chance.

However once Conradin loses Sicily, he still would have retained the duchy of Swabia and he also was titular king of Jerusalem.
If Manfred manages to defend Sicily against Charles d'Anjou, then Conradin probably won't be invited to Italy so soon like IOTL. Instead he probably would have stayed in Swabia and started planing to be elected as king of the Romans, if need be first as anti-king. Why settle for only being king of Italy, when you can be Holy Roman Emperor (who also happens to be German king, king of Italy and king of Burgundy).
In this period there were some weak* elected king of the Romans, Richard of Cornwall and Alfonso of Castille, since neither had a real powerbase in the Empire. (*= which is what I meant with weak)
Also Conradin would probably be in a much better position to be elected as king of the Romans than Ottokar of Bohemia.
Finally the Habsburgs were loyal supporters of the house of Hohenstaufen; in fact IOTL it is, because of this and the support other former Hohenstaufen supporters that Rudolf of Habsburg IOTL was a good compromise candidate.
So any conflict in the HRE probably would have been between Conradin and Ottokar. Another thing, which can add to this is that margrave Frederick of Baden, a friend of Conradin, like Ottokar of Bohemia, claim the duchies of Austria & Styria.

These are my five cents, but it is your TL, so good luck with it. :)

Last edited:
I have a few questions on Konradin von Hohenstaufen, though IMHO he probably would have tried to regain his birthright (Sicily) if he gets the chance.

However once Conradin loses Sicily, he still would have retained the duchy of Swabia and he also was titular king of Jerusalem.
If Manfred manages to defend Sicily against Charles d'Anjou, then Conradin probably won't be invited to Italy so soon like IOTL. Instead he probably would have stayed in Swabia and started planing to be elected as king of the Romans, if need be first as anti-king. Why settle for only being king of Italy, when you can be Holy Roman Emperor (who also happens to be German king, king of Italy and king of Burgundy).
In this period there were some weak* elected king of the Romans, Richard of Cornwall and Alfonso of Castille, since neither had a real powerbase in the Empire. (*= which is what I meant with weak)
Also Conradin would probably be in a much better position to be elected as king of the Romans than Ottokar of Bohemia.
Finally the Habsburgs were loyal supporters of the house of Hohenstaufen; in fact IOTL it is, because of this and the support other former Hohenstaufen supporters that Rudolf of Habsburg IOTL was a good compromise candidate.
So any conflict in the HRE probably would have been between Conradin and Ottokar. Another thing, which can add to this is that margrave Frederick of Baden, a friend of Conradin, like Ottokar of Bohemia, claim the duchies of Austria & Styria.

These are my five cents, but it is your TL, so good luck with it. :)
He was invited by the Lombard league and Germany was chaotic and aside from that Conradin became more Lombard leaning and also the Lombards don't want a union with Germany.

Interesting start, so two branches of the Hofenstauffen governed the north and the south of Italy... considering Conradin and Manfred are hostile to each other, and surely this hostility will pass on their successors, for the unification of the peninsula we should wait more than it seems... or one of the two branches goes into extinction, or the north conquered the south or viceversa, or both continued to exist in a forceful cohabitation...

Personally, I'm favorable to see Italy and Naples still divided for the moment.

Interesting start, so two branches of the Hofenstauffen governed the north and the south of Italy... considering Conradin and Manfred are hostile to each other, and surely this hostility will pass on their successors, for the unification of the peninsula we should wait more than it seems... or one of the two branches goes into extinction, or the north conquered the south or viceversa, or both continued to exist in a forceful cohabitation...

Personally, I'm favorable to see Italy and Naples still divided for the moment.
Yes, but the problem is that there might be butterflies like Venetian/Paduan could be influential in Northern Italy along with Tuscan and Occitan, which could cause a different Northern Italian koine/linguafranca to form.
Like I wrote, my five cents, but it's your Hohenstaufen TL. :)
Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, but the problem is that there might be butterflies like Venetian/Paduan could be influential in Northern Italy along with Tuscan and Occitan, which could cause a different Northern Italian koine/linguafranca to form.

Thanks.

The issue could be interesting. First, it is relevant to know where Conrad exactly placed the court. Pavia? Milan? Verona? Or it is an itinerant court? Surely the choice of the capital will be important because it will swing the predominance of a certain dialect respect to another, to be simple if it is Verona the dialects of Veneto will prevail, if it is Milan the lombard ones etc. Also, because normally a seat of power attracts also culture, the intellectuals will be used to the local vulgar talked in the capital.

In the south Italy, the problem doesn't exist TTL. IMO, with the survival of Manfred the "Sicilian School" will continue to live too, so Sicilian, maybe with Occitans enrichments and in part from Neapolitan supports (After all, in Naples existed the only university of the south during that period), will become the main southern language and, if the kingdom of Sicily will become more relevant respect to that of Italy, the base of TTL Italian language.

The issue of the language in effects depends much also what side of Italy will prevail on the another... But we could also consider the option, if there will no be political unification, the North and the South Italian language could slowly merge into one because of the merchants and the pilgrims who moves from a part to another of the peninsula.

The issue could be interesting. First, it is relevant to know where Conrad exactly placed the court. Pavia? Milan? Verona? Or it is an itinerant court? Surely the choice of the capital will be important because it will swing the predominance of a certain dialect respect to another, to be simple if it is Verona the dialects of Veneto will prevail, if it is Milan the lombard ones etc. Also, because normally a seat of power attracts also culture, the intellectuals will be used to the local vulgar talked in the capital.

In the south Italy, the problem doesn't exist TTL. IMO, with the survival of Manfred the "Sicilian School" will continue to live too, so Sicilian, maybe with Occitans enrichments and in part from Neapolitan supports (After all, in Naples existed the only university of the south during that period), will become the main southern language and, if the kingdom of Sicily will become more relevant respect to that of Italy, the base of TTL Italian language.

The issue of the language in effects depends much also what side of Italy will prevail on the another... But we could also consider the option, if there will no be political unification, the North and the South Italian language could slowly merge into one because of the merchants and the pilgrims who moves from a part to another of the peninsula.
The court is in Pavia since it is the capital of the Medieval Kingdom of Italy, I just imagine what would happen if Conrad I or his successor tries to conquer Venice.

A Northern Italian Coine based on Venetian/Veronese will be a language similar to Spanish or Portuguese rather than our OTL Italian language.

Neapolitan/Romanesco group is present in both the Northern and the Southern Kingdoms.

The Sicilian language is a mix of the Central-Southern Italian, Northern Italian and Occitan as well as Greek, Southern Italy was repopulated by the Central Italians causing the Neapolitan and Sicilian languages to form.

Last edited:
-Frederick of Baden with the help of Conrad I of Italy claims Austria, this worsens the civil war in Germany, the people of Austria sided with Frederick of Baden and not Premysl Ottokar.
-Margaret of France gives birth to a son named Frederick
-Premysl Ottokar is defeated by Frederick of Baden and Frederick of Baden became the one ruling Austria, the defeat is very shameful for Premysl Ottokar.
-Rudolf Von Habsburg tries to steal the Crown of Germany from Premysl Ottokar by having the German states hate Premysl Ottokar but to no avail, he becomes desperate.
-Margaret of France gives birth to a son named Otto who was made the successor to the German territories.
-Clementia of Habsburg, the daughter of Count Robert Von Habsburg is married to Frederick of Sicily, the son of Manfred of Sicily.
-The German Civil war ends with Premysl Ottokar as the victor and Premysl Ottokar made a treaty renouncing austria to Leopold of Baden.
-Premysl Ottokar tries to attack the Kingdom of Italy with the help of Manfred of Sicily but it fails because of the french support to the Kingdom of Italy.
-Premysl Ottokar dies and Rudolf Von Habsburg becomes the Holy Roman Emperor and sends his daughter, Judith to be the bride of Wenceslaus II of Bohemia, the son of Premysl Ottokar.
-Conrad I of Italy attempts to annex the Venetian republic and sends armies from Pavia, his capital to Venice in order to gain the port of Venice and have access to its riches and its merchants but the annexation attempt fails.
-Clementia of Habsburg marries Frederick of Sicily which solidifies the alliance betweem the Habsburgs and the Sicilian Hohenzollerns.
-The son of Edward I, John, Prince of Wales marries Maria of Brabant, the former Queen of France.

-A skirmish happens between the Eastern Roman Empire and the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum which ends up with the Eastern Romans securing a land connection to the Trebizond.
-Trebizond and Georgia are boosted by their new land connections to the Eastern Roman Empire.
-Euphemia of Kuyavia marries Ladislaus IV the Cuman of Hungary.

Last edited:
A Nun and an Old Man
In 1287, Leszek the Black and Agrippina of Slavonia fled to Hungary after the attack of the Mongols, Agrippina of Slavonia blamed Leszek for her failed marriage with him and she said that her sister's marriage to Premysl Ottokar produced many children but they did not have any children, Leszek the Black told his wife Gryfina to forgive him for having a failed marriage, the two came back to a Poland that is fragmented and raided by the Mongols, Leszek the black appointed Wladyslaw the Elbowhigh as his own successor if he dies without an heir however Poland also became very much raided by the Lithuanians as well. Agrippina died on January 24, 1288. Leszek the Black contacted Waclaw in order to find a lady to marry and Kunigunde of Bohemia, he was quickly granted dispensation by Pope Nicholas IV ,he was married to Kunigunde of Bohemia, the niece of Agrippina of Slavonia via her sister Kunigunde of Slavonia on April 4, 1288 , the marriage with Kunigunde went smooth, Kunigunde was fresh from a convent, and from the Order of the Poor Ladies and she was so naive that she always did what her husband Leszek has asked from her, Leszek acted more like a father to her than a husband but the marriage was consumated on the wedding night, she asked what happened to her aunt Agrippina but Leszek told her that she died and their marriage was not consumated Kunigunde said to him that she would try be the best wife for him.

KunhutazPasionalu.jpg

Kunigunde of Bohemia

Kunigunde of Bohemia gave at last birth to a male heir on June 4, 1289 and named their son Przemysl after her own father, Przemysl Ottokar, Kunigunde had no problems in giving birth to Przemysl Ottokar, the birth would mean that the Polish throne would not be up for grabs, Leszek and Kunigunde presented their son, Przemysl Ottokar to the public and Przemysl was baptized one month after being born.
Leszek promised Henry Probus that he would grant him Greater Poland if Przemysl II of Greater Poland dies without a male heir which made Henry Probus happy, Kunigunde of Bohemia talked to her brother Waclaw and later to Wladyslaw the Elbowhigh in order for the couple to improve their relationship to them.
It was later revealed that Waclaw and Wladyslaw the Elbowhigh both wanted the Polish throne themselves but due to the good health and the heir of Leszek the Black it would now be impossible to happen, Waclaw could had claimed the position of being the ruler of the Seniorate Principality of Krakow if Leszek the Black died heirless via proximity of blood while Wladyslaw could had claimed the throne because he is the next line to the Polish throne after Leszek the Black dies.
In October 6, 1289, Judith of Habsburg gave birth to twins Waclaw and Agnes, another son of Waclaw, last year, they had a son named Przemysl Ottokar who died a few months after his birth, Kunigunde and Leszek were invited on the baptism of the twins.
Kunigunde was pregnant again and gave birth to two twin daughters named Margaret and Elisabeth in October 4, 1290, they was baptized a month after being born, Kunigunde was delighted on the birth of the two daughters.

Przemysl II of Greater Poland dies in 1290 and his daughter, Richeza is kidnapped by Henry Probus of Wroclaw and later engaged promptly to Henry Probus of Wroclaw a few months after her father's death in order to guarantee Greater Poland to himself, Leszek was shocked of the incident but accepted it.
In 1291, Kunigunde of Bohemia told Leszek the Black that they should meet with King Waclaw II of Bohemia in order for him to see the young child, Przemysl Ottokar, Waclaw II was very fond of the child and even loved the child like he is his own son, Leszek the Black was very happy of the treatment of the child by Waclaw II, Judith of Habsburg was annoyed of the fact that Kunigunde of Bohemia is harboring Zavish.
On the latter part of 1291, Leszek the Black sent an envoy to Rome in order for him to be crowned as the King of Poland, the Pope was amused of the proposal of the envoy for the Prince of Poland, Leszek to be crowned so he approved the proposal and allowed the coronation of the Duke of Krakow, Leszek in order for him to be the King of Poland, the crown was sent by Pope Nicholas IV to the envoy of Leszek the Black in order for him to be crowned as the King of Poland.
The Crown finally arrived in December 4, 1291, and the crown was laden with Gold, Silver and Gem stones, Kunigunde and Leszek duke of Krakow were crowned as the King and Queen of Poland, Leszek became King Leszek I of Poland and Kunigunde became Queen Kunigunde of Poland.
Kunigunde of Bohemia met Judith of Habsburg in 1292 but Judith distrusted her because she harboured Zavish and let her stay in Poland and she did not even invited Kunigunde to the baptisms of her daughters, Anna(b. October 10, 1290) and Elisabeth(b. January 20, 1292), Kunigunde arranged the future marriage of Agnes of Bohemia and her son, Przemysl Ottokar, Prince of Poland and obtained the necessary dispensation from the Pope Nicholas IV, in order for the marriage to happen, the next Pope, Boniface VIII was also fond of Kunigunde of Bohemia, Queen of Poland that he also favored Queen Kunigunde in order for the betrothal to remain possible.
Judith of Habsburg brought German influences to the Prague court, like the introduction of knights at court. She made Prague a cultural centre, later in 1294, Zavish attempted to return to Bohemia and was captured by the people of Judith of Habsburg and she had him killed shortly after he was captured.

In the end, Judith and Kunigunde decided to make peace with each other again after Zavish was killed, Kunigunde found out that Judith had Zavish killed, which worsened the relationship between Judith and Kunigunde which also led to the worsening of the relationship between Waclaw and Judith, later Waclaw was able to meet Wladyslaw, the younger brother of Leszek and called him a dwarf.
Judith of Habsburg died in 1296, a few years after Zavish died, Kunigunde was happy about the death of Zavish.
In 1300, Kunigunde and King Leszek witnessed the wedding of Henryk of Wroclaw and Richeza of Greater Poland.

Last edited:
With the marriage of Clementia and Frederick, the future of Hungary is at stake.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the formation of the Austrian-Sicilian axis :D

With the marriage of Clementia and Frederick, the future of Hungary is at stake.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the formation of the Austrian-Sicilian axis :D
Not Austrian-Sicilian but rather Swiss-Sicilian axis because Frederick of Baden is now ruling Austria.

And also Sicily is ruling Albania.

Last edited:
155px-John_IV_Laskaris_miniature.jpg

Empress Beatrice of the Eastern Roman Empire
Beatrice is married to John IV Laskaris, the Basileus of the Eastern Roman Empire on 1267 in celebration of the winning of Manfred of Sicily, the marriage made Manfred of Sicily support him against the Palaiologos faction who want to rule all of the Byzantine Empire and due to the marriage the rule of John IV Laskaris was saved from the revolts that plagued the Empire.
Beatrice of Sicily gives birth to a son named Theodoros on June 5, 1270.
The marriage between Beatrice and John IV Laskaris meant strong relations between the Eastern Roman Empire and the Kingdom of Sicily but it also meant that they have a stake in the succession if Manfred fails to have male progeny.
Due to Beatrice being a Catholic, she is unpopular at first but she was loved by the people in her court in the Byzantine Empire and for that reason, Empress Beatrice is very concerned of her husband.
On 1271-1272, the Eastern Roman Empire becomes involved in the war against the Kingdom of Italy that had splintered from the Holy Roman Empire, the result of this was the loss of Abruzzi from the Kingdom of Sicily, but this defeat was not embarassing since Manfred retained Sicily aside from Abruzzi after the battle.
The Eastern Roman Empire during the time of John IV Laskaris and Beatrice of Sicily is the time of the restoration of the glory of the Eastern Roman Empire.
Beatrice of Sicily gives birth to another child and this time to a female named Anna Laskarina on November 4, 1273.
She told her husband, John that she thinks that the Eastern Empire needed more reforms and she also told him that the Eastern Roman Empire should try to improve its relationship with the pope, John IV Laskaris did not want to upset the citizens so John told Beatrice that this is not possible yet but Beatrice wanted it to happen but both John and Beatrice made steps to make the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church to be more united as possible and he also made visits to the pope.
later on the reign of her husband on 1286, a skirmish happens between the Eastern Roman Empire and the Caliphate of Rum which ends up with the Eastern Romans securing a land connection to the Trebizond, which made both Beatrice and John happy.

Anna Laskarina is betrothed to the Prince of Galicia Yuri I, the marriage between Anna Laskarina and Yuri of Galicia happened on 1288, Lev I of Galicia, the father of Yuri of Galicia wanted the Rus Principalities to be united like in the times of the Kievan Rus
Meanwhile on 1290, Fennena of Kuyavia marries Prince Frederick of Italy, the son of Conrad I of Sicily, the marriage between Frederick of Italy and Fenenna of Kuyavia meant an addition of a smart princess to the court of Italy, the marriage was meant to counter the Habsburg-Sicilian alliance established by the marriage of Clementia of Habsburg and Frederick of Sicily.

Last edited: