Not open for further replies.
Oh, here are some of the real people mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jovica_Stani%C5%A1i%C4%87
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuk_Drašković
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franko_Simatović
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkan

And the CIA connection is real -

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/01/world/fg-serbia-spy-cia1

This could have a lot of implications. Of course, Yeltsin would be more likely to allow a war in the Balkans.

Yeah, about that...

“WI: Boris Yeltsin Lives?”
Athenian said:
IOTL, Boris Yeltsin, who was a rebellious politician in the Soviet Union during the final days of the Cold War, fell from a bridge on Sept. 28, 1989, dying from his injuries some time later. He was the first man to ever resign from the Politburo. His allies said he was pushed off the bridge as an assassination attempt. What if he lived to lead the opposition during the Handover?
Athenian said:
KingTut said:
Who? :looks up who Yeltsin is: I had never heard of him before. Seems like he was a drunk (even for Russian standards of the day), probably fell of the bridge because of that. I doubt he could get very far. If he somehow managed to come into a powerful role, a drunk in charge of Russia, or worse, the Union at large could only be bad news. But it’s doubtful that he could get far at all.

This will certainly have an impact on the leadership of the USSR, and other nations...

We’re Not In Minnesota Anymore, Requiem

---

When I first approached then-Governor Perpich, he had little idea of my real intentions. He had endorsed me during the primaries, but he had little reason to suspect that he was under consideration to be the Democratic nominee for the Vice President. It isn’t that Rudy thought he didn’t have the skills, or that he shied away from his achievements, it was a sense of working-class decency to not count his chickens before they hatched, to not take anything for granted.

The role of a Vice President is not a well-defined one in our Constitution. It is blank canvas that each individual which holds the office makes his own. When picking a running mate, sometimes there are voices that may lead you down the wrong path – to pick the flashy choice, the expedient choice, the safe choice. But what I wanted was a partner, an advisor who I could trust to share their honest thoughts, to not be a yes man. That’s what Rudy was to me, somebody I trusted to share my legacy and continue, that I knew could take up the mantle if the unthinkable were to happen to me. Instead, the unthinkable fell to him.

President Biden fought back the tears. He was no stranger to loss, but this hit close to home. He looked out at the crowd of mourners in the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle, looking for Jill. She was sitting next to the now former Second Lady Lola, fighting back her own tears. She was looking straight back at him, and she nodded in recognition as if to say, “It’s okay. You can do this.” She was his rock, and he loved her for it.

But the Vice President wasn’t all work and no play. He had a vibrant zeal for life. Even in his work, he did it with a unique charm that endeared his supporters, and baffled his political rivals. He wore the label ‘Governor Goofy’ with a badge of honor in Minnesota. And as Vice President, Rudy was willing to listen to any idea to solve a problem, never unwilling to step outside of the box when approaching the issues of our day.

But it will be our finals day together which I will remember the most. The few weeks before his fateful trip were some of our closest. We were in constant collaboration on matters of state. He was filled with such hope and determination that the United States could still be seen as a beacon of hope. With this final détente bringing an apparent close to the Cold War, Rudy imagined a ‘new world’, where the darkness of fifty years of nuclear confrontation could be rolled back, and our great country could be a beacon for those who were lost in the shadows, to show them the way forward. I shared that dream. And although Rudy may have passed from this mortal existence, his dream still lives on.

Good bye, my friend.

---

Ted Kaufman sometimes forgot how moving Joe could be in front of a crowd. When he was at his finest, he could make the crowd around you wash away, so you felt like his words were for you and you alone. Today he was certainly at his finest. This ability made the eulogy very comforting. But now it was back to work.

As Chief-of-Staff, this was perhaps the busiest he had been since the transition. They had just lost two cabinet members – Eleanor Holmes Norton and Martha Layne Collins had both stepped down because of their husband’s financial inconsistencies. The House Republicans had been having a field day about it, at least before Belgrade. Still they had resigned from Labor and Environmental Protection, and needed replacement. For Labor, he tapped Solicitor General Robert Reich to step up. It was more of a natural fit for him, being a policy man; Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Deval Patrick was promoted to Solicitor General.
For Environmental Protection, they felt a woman was needed since the Cabinet just lost two. Energy Secretary Chiles suggested a former aide of his and current aide of Senator Al Gore Carol Browner.

The Senate approved both shortly before Belgrade with relative easy.

To make things even more frustrating, Associate Justice Blackmun announced his intention to retire. The administration was under fire from the left for the lack of support of women in the Administration. The clear candidate was Justice Ginsburg of the D.C. Appeals court. The petite woman had impressed the President, no stranger to judicial appointment hearings, with how tough she was in his personal vetting. Her time frame was certainly misleading. Her appointment would bring the number of women on the Supreme Court to a record three. It was doubtful that he’d receive another appointment in the next two, but hopefully, six, years, but his judicial legacy was already set with a record four appointments in his first term. The right was howling at this point, out for blood against whomever he appointed. But, again the President was confident that Ginsburg would pass with little problem.

Again, all of this was before Belgrade.

Now, the Chief-of-Staff was currently searching through a veritable mountain of candidates for the hardest staff decision they’d made since the campaign trail – Vice President of the United States. In fact, this was harder. The number of variables and the stakes were higher. First, they needed to be approved by the Senate. Second, they might not have realized it yet, but the country was likely to be at war soon. The intelligence briefings received in the pass couple days made it increasingly clear that there was government complicity in the bombing. When the President heard that, he didn’t rage like Kaufman expected. Instead, a furious stillness raged behind his eyes. I wonder if that was better or worse. Joe hadn’t been getting much sleep, not that the President did much on a normal night, and it was starting to show. The two years looked more like a five year toll recently. Ted figured he’d have headaches too if it all rested on his shoulders. Hell, Ted did have headaches.

Kaufman refocused on the dossiers before him. Files had been compiled on all the possible candidates, and his staff was treating this as a major priority. They had narrowed down the list for him, somewhat. Still, to Kaufman, the list looked more like those who were likely to run for President, than a list of people who wanted to be a Vice President. Ted Kaufman swore he heard John Nance Garner laughing from beyond as he surveyed the list of names again…

That fucking idiot.

Missed yesterday's update, but this just about says it all.
Kaufman refocused on the dossiers before him. Files had been compiled on all the possible candidates, and his staff was treating this as a major priority. They had narrowed down the list for him, somewhat. Still, to Kaufman, the list looked more like those who were likely to run for President, than a list of people who wanted to be a Vice President. Ted Kaufman swore he heard John Nance Garner laughing from beyond as he surveyed the list of names again…

Wonder which paper is going to be the first to break the story via leaks. The NY Times? Washington Post? A foreign press paper?

Because I tend to think this story, or at least rumors about it, will leak ahead of when Biden would want it.

And when it does, all hell is going to break loose.

Last edited:
Wonder who Biden will pick. Clinton?

I'm open to suggestions. The discussions of some here has been changing my mind a bit.

I think he's more likely to pick someone he believes would carry out his works and legacy.

Maybe, some more thinking'll be exposed next post.

A certain man whose theme song is similar to the former German anthem?

Haha, hadn't thought of that. But remember, the country is about to be at war.

Missed yesterday's update, but this just about says it all.

Wonder which paper is going to be the first to break the story via leaks. The NY Times? Washington Post? A foreign press paper?

Because I tend to think this story, or at least rumors about it, will leak ahead of when Biden would want it.

And when it does, all hell is going to break loose.

I'm surprised nobody called me on this so far. It seems we're willing to accept Milosevic would blow up the VP if given the chance. Granted he's Croatian, but I think more along the lines of Milosevic thought he was untouchable.

I hadn't thought about it leaking...

I would hope so, but I really don't know what he thought of Brown back then.

I'll have to investigate.

Going back a bit....

Yes. Yes, it will be.

Foreshadowing ;)

I'm assuming there'll be a Rudy Perpich memorial/monument somewhere in DC after all this.

I hadn't thought about it leaking...
On the US side, all it would take is one person getting pissed off that Biden isn't moving fast enough for their taste.

Sure this is the age before Drudge and the internet (which is in its barest of infancy right now). Leaks still happened back then though. ;)

Ted Kaufman swore he heard John Nance Garner laughing from beyond as he surveyed the list of names again…
...Lloyd Bentsen?

I'm curious the story behind this allusion.

Bob Kerrey? He meets all the qualifications Perpich did, and for us, has the added drama of being a 'war criminal' himself.

Possibly - Kerrey might be a little to "DLC" for Biden but he certainly has the military credentials he seeks at the moment. And yes, that aspect certainly has a 'ticking time-bomb' aspect to it. I am a bit hesitant until I see where the "Zhirinovsky's Empire" goes with his Presidency, but I shouldn't let that affect my editorial standards.

On the US side, all it would take is one person getting pissed off that Biden isn't moving fast enough for their taste.

Sure this is the age before Drudge and the internet (which is in its barest of infancy right now). Leaks still happened back then though. ;)

Very true, I'll have to include it now.

...Lloyd Bentsen?

I'm curious the story behind this allusion.

Im guessing its the 'the vice presidency isnt worth a bucket of warm piss' line he's famous for.

Bingo.

Deleted member 16736

Given that we're heading into a war, I'd imagine Biden would want someone with gravitas and experience in the realm of foreign affairs. Given their comfortable control of the Senate, then, it makes sense that he would choose someone from that august body. Sam Nunn springs to mind, assuming he's still the chairman of the Armed Services Committee ITTL. And with Zell Miller as governor of Georgia, you're sure to be get another Democrat appointed anyhow, negating any loss.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what Biden's relationship was with Nunn, if any. It's possible they wouldn't get along given the latter's moderate-southern stances. And he might be most useful if he remains in the Senate.

But I think that after weighing the evidence, Nunn would be the no-brainer pick and would sail through the confirmation.

Edit:
They had just lost two cabinet members – Eleanor Holmes Norton and Martha Layne Collins had both stepped down because of their husband’s financial inconsistencies.
Damn! I was hoping for more from her than just dragging the administration down!

Heads or Tails? Pt. 1

---

All he had now was time. Time to read, time to listen. He had to limit his television viewing, after the surgery too much and it gave him migraines, for some reason. The visitors had stopped long ago. Once they knew he wasn’t dying, they stopped showing up for the freak show. If he had won ’88, Lee Atwater would think they were all sucking up. But then again, if Lee had won ’88, he probably would’ve gone too long without a check-up and the cancer would’ve continued on its rampage in his brain, finally taking him.

A brush with death, like the one Lee had, makes a man reassess his life. He had seen who his real friends were. He had become closer to his family than ever before. But still, he had that itch. It had shown up in his reading – he started the ‘good book’, and tried some of the classics, but always he ended up reading the papers and magazines. He digested every column, every opinion page, every letter to the editor, every poll, and every damn step of the Biden Presidency. Lee reflected on that campaign most of all. He had drawn some conclusions from it, oh yes.

As the sidelined operator waited for the scars to mend, both physical and mental, he had not been docile, passing the time with fleeting pursuits like making bird feeders or golf, or whatever feeble men did. Patience was never an attribute he possessed. He refused to sit out ’92; he’d find a candidate that better fit his style, somebody who’d play the scrappy insurgent. Lee had come to realize that he didn’t belong in the administration or making policy – he was a fighter. He was there to campaign, to get people elected. The actual governance didn’t do anything for him.

But for now, all Lee could wait, coiled and ready to strike. He stalked every move of the Democrats in the White House and on the hill. He chronicled every move, conducted his own ‘shadow administration’, deciding how he would’ve advised the President to act differently, whom to appoint and what battles were worth fighting. And now he had a sly smile as we saw President on the edge of potential ruin. The selection of a Vice President appointee could be his undoing.

The sharks had been circling the open wound of their own party. The obvious names of the young and ambitious were noted time and time again in offering commentary to various reporters. Whatever any of them said mattered little in the game of appointment. Just the repetition of their names mattered. It had been just over a week and the pressure was finally being put on the Democrats by Cheney and Dole.

We all still mourn for Vice President Perpich, but the American people deserve the security of mind knowing that the line of succession is intact. Dole wasn’t the most loquacious man, but he persuaded minds inside the beltway. And so the parade of Democratic names continued – Bentsen, Kerry, Kerrey, Gore, Clinton, Cuomo, Rockefeller, Graham, Dukakis… the list went on and on… by this point the far-left were pushing names that would never pass the Congress, like Jerry Brown. When’s the last time anybody cared about Jerry Brown? How about Jesse Jackson? A black Vice President!? Or those who suggest Lawton Chiles, didn’t they know about his mental health? Amateurs!

Nixon had waited two days to nominate Ford. Ford had waited eleven with Rockefeller. Of course, those were different times. Hell, those nominations were the cause of our times. Watergate, as they say, changed everything. It was a question of “When?” not “What if?” somebody, perhaps rather high-up, would have a quiet drink with a well-trusted friend at the Post or the Times and the name would slipped be out there, before the Biden people wanted it, a whisper on the wind carried to print.

The nation was tired of waiting, Perpich was buried. Lee was tired of waiting. But he had a good feeling about today. He had a hunch, it’d be this day. Personally – he had been putting his money on Kerrey. The former Governor, now Senator, had been getting a lot of media play. How can you say know to a war hero?

Lee hopped down the stairs, like a boy at Christmas, and off to the front stoop to collect his newspapers, Sunday editions. On his front step, he raced through the headlines. There it was! On the Post! Woodward, of course! Whoever leaked it had a flare for the dramatic, choosing the Watergate icon himself. But then Lee digested the headline… “President to Nominate Senator… ” Lee Atwater looked around his quiet suburban neighborhood in disbelief. He saw nobody else out yet on the peaceful Sunday morning. So, to the world at large, he asked...

What the fuck?

I keep coming back to a certain senator who seems like he would appeal to Biden on a personal level: youngish, mid-Atlantic, with a Marine Corps background, executive experience, and a (not yet publicized) history of skirt-chasing. In terms of personality and style, he would be a natural wingman for Biden. It will be interesting to see if his name comes up.

I keep coming back to a certain senator who seems like he would appeal to Biden on a personal level: youngish, mid-Atlantic, with a Marine Corps background, executive experience, and a (not yet publicized) history of skirt-chasing. In terms of personality and style, he would be a natural wingman for Biden. It will be interesting to see if his name comes up.

Who would this be? Pardon me if it's blatantly obvious and I'm not catching it. :eek:

I typically think of Virginia as a southern state rather then Mid-Atlantic...but you talking about Chuck Robb aren't you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.