the best movies never made

Sing (2016) - A musical dramedy starring Matthew McConaughey and John C. Reilly. The film is mostly known for the fact that while it was originally advertised and marketed as a light-hearted musical dramedy, it tackled shockingly serious subject matter, being a lot darker than most people anticipated it to be.

A depressed, failed businessman named Buster (Matthew McConaughey), who is currently crashing at his rich, yet unemployed friend Eddie (John C. Reilly)'s house, discovers that his distant father has passed away and left the Moon Theater, a historical theater in town, to his son in his will. In order to reopen it, they agree to host a fundraiser singing competition, and while Buster at first sees the competitors as just "easy money", as he puts it, he eventually grows to actually befriend them. The competitors include Johnny (a former convict who was violently abused by his father and grew up being forced to work in a notorious criminal gang), Rosita (a mother of tween octuplets who is currently going through a messy divorce after her husband cheated on her and abandoned her), Ash (a punk rocker with depression and anger issues after escaping her abusive boyfriend Lance), Meena (a shy and nervous teenager with PTSD), and Mike (an arrogant and greedy mobster who's currently, as he puts it, "technically on the run"). Buster, in what is somewhat a self-reflection of his own depressing past, decides that, together, they will all put on the best performance that the city has seen, in the hopes of helping them solve their problems and being able to happily move on with their lives.

While it was beloved by film critics, audiences were very divided on the film, as while it was ultimately very touching, many people claimed that they felt "misled" by the film's advertising, causing it to waver at the box office. Some people even threw protests at the cinemas that played the film, for it's "lack of family values". As of 2022 though, the controversy has died down for the most part (though some people still complain about it from time to time), and it is considered today to be one of the most successful films of the late 2010's.

(A/N: Basically, it's "Sing" if it wasn't animated, had humans instead of animals, and followed a much more serious storyline)

The Batman.
New Zealand biopic about cricketer Martin Crowe.

Also, I like Marc Anthony's suggestion of a Peter Jackson live action Beowulf, and a one-film Hobbit [1]. Maybe Sir Peter could also base the last half of the film on the book....

[1] I'd have been happy with a two-parter to allow inclusion of the Dol Guldor storyline, but I think he must have been channelling the entish language when he turned this particular short book into a trilogy.

The Batman.
New Zealand biopic about cricketer Martin Crowe.
interesting
Also, I like Marc Anthony's suggestion of a Peter Jackson live action Beowulf, and a one-film Hobbit [1]. Maybe Sir Peter could also base the last half of the film on the book....

[1] I'd have been happy with a two-parter to allow inclusion of the Dol Guldor storyline, but I think he must have been channelling the entish language when he turned this particular short book into a trilogy.
thanks, I agree with you that it could also work as a two parter

Second Chance (2000): Follows the lives of several high school students and a teacher who miss a flight to Paris due to various delays and aren't on board when it crashes, killing all on board, and their lives afterwards. (1)

(In TTL, assume that the Final Destination script was an episode of X-Files, which is how it was originally written.)

(1) This doesn't necessarily have the same actors as the Final Destination movie. Want to know a strange (or freaky) thing--this movie idea was based on an OTL real-life event that occurred in 1950: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/choir-non-quorum/.

Driftless

Donor

Yes! Jackson and the moneybags spread too little butter over to much bread.... Three films was a bald-face money grab. Two films would have improved the quality IMO.

Jackson's problem was that he couldn't accept that Tolkein was as great a story-teller as he was so he decided to "embellish" the stories, first Lord Of The Rings and then The Hobbit, which IMHO destroyed any attempt to recreate the original stories and ruined their narratives. I'm still awaiting a faithful attempt at the four books which are faithful to the books.

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
Not a movie but TV series episodes.
"The X-files". Episode "Headless". Mulder and Scully investigates series of deaths by decapitation. They found some clues about existence of some sort of cult that calls themselves "Immortals". Mulder thinks it's more just a cult pointing to observed weird electric phenomenons.
"The Highlander". Episode "Someone Wants To Believe". After Duncan kills other immortal, pair of FBI agents start to snooping around. The female agent sees it as murder series while the male agent suspects something supernatural.

There was a good fan edit of the Hobbit that cut out all the stuff ,not in the books and made it a three hour movie.
The condensed version sounds interesting, and since I'm on an enforced week of home isolation due to our unfriendly pandemic, I have time on my hands to give it a go.

The condensed version sounds interesting, and since I'm on an enforced week of home isolation due to our unfriendly pandemic, I have time on my hands to give it a go.

Carry on Matron (1972)

Due to an administrative mix up ever randy male nurse (Jim Dale) is appointed Matron of the teaching hospital St Swithan's where he frequently clashes with the bigoted consultant Donald Sinden and the bombastic head surgeon James Robertson Justice. He is aided in dealing with the pests by porter Sid James and Nurses Barbara Windsor and Joan Sims.

Last edited:
Not a movie but TV series episodes.
"The X-files". Episode "Headless". Mulder and Scully investigates series of deaths by decapitation. They found some clues about existence of some sort of cult that calls themselves "Immortals". Mulder thinks it's more just a cult pointing to observed weird electric phenomenons.
"The Highlander". Episode "Someone Wants To Believe". After Duncan kills other immortal, pair of FBI agents start to snooping around. The female agent sees it as murder series while the male agent suspects something supernatural.
I wish that X file had done a few episodes each season that turn out to be classic impossible mysteries but not Aliens or Supernatural.
So we never know if it this week, a Monster, the Conspiracy or something that turn out to be more mundane.

I wish that X file had done a few episodes each season that turn out to be classic impossible mysteries but not Aliens or Supernatural.
So we never know if it this week, a Monster, the Conspiracy or something that turn out to be more mundane.
I think they did a few episodes where it turns out to be a community of cannibals or a regular serial killer.

But even still it wouldve been nice to see Scully be right every now and then.

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
Canadian TV series "Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal" worked with it, at least in 1st season.

Tales From the Crypt Presents Bordello of Blood (1996)

Dennis Miller in TTL refuses to do the movie, and returns the money Joel Silver offered to him--with a suggestion about what to do with it that I can't repeat here. Joel Silver instead decides to cast Nicolas Cage, looking for a breather movie after Leaving Las Vegas, and right before Con Air. Cage hams it up as Rafe--think a cross between his character Eddie from Deadfall (watch a YouTube clip of Deadfall with Cage's best bits to get an idea of what I'm getting at) and Tom Welles from 8MM--so much so that they had to do several takes because the other cast members kept corpsing at Cage's ab-libbed lines. The film is seen as So Bad It's Good, thanks in part to Cage's performance...

Superman III (1983)
Directed by
Irvin Keshner

Starring
Christopher Reeve as Superman/Clark Kent
Robert Vaughn as Maxwell Lord (replaces Ross Webster)
David McCallum as Brainiac (voice and his pre-cyborg flashbacks)
Robert John Burke as Brainiac (in-costume)
Michael McKean as Pete Ross
Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang (later Ross)
Denzel Washington as Gus Gorman
Malcom McDowell as John Corben
Richard Pyror as Himself

Basically, a far less corny Superman III than what we got OTL. In this one, Gus Gorman is a young tech programmer who embezzles from Lord as per the OTL movie, but has a serious backstory than "comedic relief played by Richard Pryor". Gus is a struggling computer genius, hence his reasoning for the embezzlement. Lord still shanghaied him as a helper and has him create the supercomputer also from the original, except in this case it's for Braniac, who Lord finds and attempts to harness in order to control the world. John Corben, AKA Metallo, appears as Lord's enforcer.

This version does keep the Smallville storyline, except it's more of Clark reconnecting with Pete Ross as well as Lana Lang. It's less of a love triangle but more of "hey, we got the band back together and it's going well" sort of vibe. As per the comics, Pete and Lana get together at the movie's end. Also an added twist, it's shown that yes, they know Clark is Superman from the get-go.

The ending battle is a mix of the Clark vs. Evil Superman and the last battle with the supercomputer, which concludes with Braniac getting a robotic battle armor to fight Superman. And as with the original, Gus helps save the day by shutting down the computer.

And of course, as a last treat for fans, a certain something shows up during the end credits roll...

SUPERMAN WILL RETURN IN SUPERMAN IV.

Except he quite didn't, as Christopher Reeve returned in the next year's Supergirl with, surprise surprise, Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. (the story of that coming soon)

Last edited:
Supergirl (1984)
Directed by
Jeannot Sczwarc

Starring
Helen Slater as Supergirl/Kara Danvers/Kara-Zor-El
Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince
Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman
Faye Dunaway as Faora
Mark McClure as Jimmy Olsen
Sarah Douglas as Ursa (flashbacks)
Peter O'Toole as Zor-El (flashbacks and video messages)

A Supergirl movie that's a bit more faithful to the comics, with a surprise Lynda Carter and Christopher Reeve appearance! The basic plot is that Supergirl arrives on Earth after spending years in space, and is found by Superman and Wonder Woman. As Superman's about to be off to explore the universe after hearing distant calls from where Krypton used to be, Wonder Woman instead trains Supergirl, alias Kara Danvers, on how to be a hero. Unfortunately, this coincides with the arrival of Faora, the sister of Ursa from Superman II, who wants to pick off where her sister left off in conquering Earth. Mark McClure's Jimmy Olsen also shows up as a love interest for Kara. A lot of the character development centers on how Kara can live up to her family's honor, which is mirrored by Faora's one-track intent to one-up Ursa.

This wasn't of course, the last film in the Superman series. Unfortunately, the next one would be - in about eight years' time.

Last edited:
Supergirl (1984)
Directed by
Jeannot Sczwarc

Starring
Faye Dunaway as Faora

A Supergirl movie that's a bit more faithful to the comics, with a surprise Lynda Carter and Christopher Reeve appearance! The basic plot is that Supergirl arrives on Earth after spending years in space, and is found by Superman and Wonder Woman. As Superman's about to be off to explore the universe after hearing distant calls from where Krypton used to be, Wonder Woman instead trains Supergirl, alias Kara Danvers, on how to be a hero. Unfortunately, this coincides with the arrival of Faora, the sister of Ursa from Superman II, who wants to pick off where her sister left off in conquering Earth. Mark McClure's Jimmy Olsen also shows up as a love interest for Kara. A lot of the character development centers on how Kara can live up to her family's honor, which is mirrored by Faora's one-track intent to one-up Ursa.

This wasn't of course, the last film in the Superman series. Unfortunately, the next one would be - in about eight years' time.
My idea for a Supergirl film was have the Fay Dunaway character turn out to be Granny Goodness who is preparing the earth for Darkseid invasion .

Supergirl (1984)
Directed by
Jeannot Sczwarc

Starring
Faye Dunaway as Faora

kaijuditector, I quite sincerely think you should from now on be in charge of the DCEU- your ideas for their movies are much better than what we’ve actually gotten!

Nixon, The legandary actress Cynthia Nixon, details her coming out and her decision to take on the contraversional role of physical therapist and cia contact, Bertha Bobath,