The Beast from the East – an Alternate NBA Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
A possibility - Sabonis is a greater offensive threat than he is, and has much better court vision. Parish would be worth a fair bit at this point in time too, and the Celtics could certainly use a backup point guard.

Parish's future does become a little hazy with the addition of Sabonis, but we will see what will happen with Parrish when we get there

For whom though? John Paxson is about the only real option for trading for a guard there, unless you think they would move Jordan for him.... 😳

Reinsdorf and Krause are many things. Stupid is not one of them and they certainly will not be trying to aid the Celtics by handing over Jordan.

Parish as backup to Sabonis is a pretty wicked 1-2 punch on the defense end, plus Parish is one really tough SOB and Sabonis (like a lot of European players when they came to the NBA in the early 90s) found the NBA game was a lot rougher than the ones they were used to. Remember that the Celtics' greatest eastern rivals at this time were the Bad Boys Pistons - Sabonis is gonna get a hell of a culture shock the first time he locks horns with Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn and Dennis Rodman. This isn't a problem for Bird or McHale or Parish, but for the Lithuanians it will be....at first.

The introduction of the physicality of the NBA game will be a bit of a hurdle at first but the two Soviets will get used to the physicality eventually.

Probably plays in the 4 spot, giving you a starting five of Johnson-Ainge-Bird-McHale-Sabonis. Marciulionis isn't gonna replace Danny Ainge right from the off, Ainge is too good of a shooter for that, and with Sabonis there to help Bird facilitate plays it'll make Danny's life easier. I can see Sarunas and Ainge switching out often though, to help Arvydas. Alternately, you could start Parish and have the Lithuanians come off the bench and the bosses of the second unit, allowing Walton to wingman Sabonis on the defensive end.

I like the way you think. ;)

This is incredible, one of the best sports stories I've seen during my short time on this site.

Is there any updates you can give for this timeline, or at least of if this timeline will come back soon? I want to see so much more from this.

Maybe to the Bulls early? I kinda hope he's fine being benched or at least accepting fewer minutes and mentoring the new twin towers. I do wonder what happens to Kevin McHale though, if KC Jones wants both new guys on the starting five.
If Parish gets traded to Chicago, I wonder if him and Jordan have issues. They did ten years later when he was there. If MJ was as big of a jerk in 1986 as he would be in 1996, Parish may have kicked his butt.

If I remember correctly, the 86-87 season was were the Celtics made it to Finals while Bird and Walton were injured, so they had to rely on McHale to carry the burden even though he himself was injured as well.

T

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
This is incredible, one of the best sports stories I've seen during my short time on this site.

Is there any updates you can give for this timeline, or at least of if this timeline will come back soon? I want to see so much more from this.
Author has logged on for eleven months. At a guess this is the end of the road.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.