We all know about Harry Turtledove and Richard Dreyfuss' 1995 alternate history novel The Two Georges, where the OTL United States and Canada and Mexico's Baja California peninsula (barring Alaska, which is still part of the Russian Empire and Hawaii, which is a separate British protectorate) are taken up by a self-governing dominion within the British Empire called the North American Union.

In the novel before the story begins, there are two maps. One map is of the world while the other is a map of the North American continent. I noticed that the Bahamas were not marked on either map. However, the islands were lined inside the North American Union, showing that the Bahamas are part of it, though no name is shown on the North American map.

My question about the Bahamas is basically that if the Bahamas are part of the North American Union, are they there own province or are they perhaps part of the province of Florida, given their small size and close proximity? Could it be possible that the Bahamas are not of the North American Union at all and are instead a separate British colony or protectorate (similar to Hawaii in the book)?

The main reason I'm asking is because I asked the guys over on the Harry Turtledove Wiki a few years ago and asked about what became of The Bahamas in The Two Georges. They stated that they believe that they are part of the Province of Florida since they aren't even labeled on the map.

I wanted to ask people here as well so I could hear alternatehistory.com's two sense on my question.

From wikipedia:

If it's not actually discussed in the book or marked clearly on the map...I'd be inclined to say that the Bahamas are administrated as part of South Carolina.
While that is true, The Bahamas ended up become a separate British crown colony in 1718.

Not to mention that the Bahamas are not that close to South Carolina, so that islands being part of it doesn't make sense to me.

While that is true, The Bahamas ended up become a separate British crown colony in 1718.

Not to mention that the Bahamas are not that close to South Carolina, so that islands being part of it doesn't make sense to me.
Spain administered the Philippines as part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, whose capital was Mexico City. So it's not unprecedented.

But you're right about the date--so the Bahamas should be their own colony, or perhaps a dominion of their own by this point (like Newfoundland IOTL).