The Atheist Series-The Heretic Republic of Bulgaria timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post here, so please, bear with me, If I mess few words up.

I'm new to the genre of alternate history, so I'm not very well familiar with the popular tropes or authors but what I'm very familiar with is science-both Natural and Humanities and would like to construct an alternate timeline where I can explore question that interest me. My primary focus is on the relationship between technological progress (strong interest in the history of science and the method of scientific investigation) and societal structures and norms (e.g. the relationship amongst economy, politics, the military and others). I want to know more about the intersection of the two, so I have decided to investigate an alternative history timeline where they can interfere and wonder how realistic it can be. My intention with this thread is to present you the backbone of the story of this alt-history timeline and ask you do you think it's plausible. If you see anything unplausible with it, please, give me your thoughts on the subject. My intention is to grow this efforts into a series of books which I may or may not eventually publish to explore 3 questions stemming from the interaction between the "fabric" of society (e.g. it's culture, laws, norms, institutions and especially religion) and the technology it is able to master. I want to create a work of fiction delving deeply into these relationships. Although fictional I seriously intend to derive conclusions applying to the real-world about these 2 subjects and make people think about this relationship. In an essence, they will be the main "protagonists" of my work. These questions are:

1.What is the relationship between the dominant religion in society and its level of technological development? E.g. can religion inhibit or accelerate the development of technology and to what extent?

2.Can there be one Great World Superpower on the planet existing in virtual isolation from all other societies anywhere beyond occasional trade and explorations missions launched by this country to other non-advanced states and cultures, or seeing the degree to which this civilization advances everyone else will desperately try to copy it even at the price of ruining their own cultures at the process? (I think you can see how this question connects to the first one.)

3.How far can a civilization reach on its own before entering stagnation because it has virtually no competition? Is the lack of competition even a factor inhibiting the progress of society?
What I mean by that is if a civilization becomes too advanced will it enter into stagnation because there is no one to challenge it or can the progress of civilizations driven entirely by internal factors remaining constant even in the face of virtual isolation from anyone else? In our own timeline there have always been contestants to even the most advanced civilizations at any point in time so competition amongst nations and cultures has always been leading factor for progress. If anyone got a lead, sooner or later there was a competitor trying to take it away from them. The process continues even to this day. I want to explore a timeline where one civilization, one culture takes such a huge lead forward that no one can reach it. What would happen than-stagnation or internally generated progress? (I think you can see how this relates to the second question.)

With all of it in mind I want to present you my hypothetical scenario for investigating these questions:

I'm a Bulgarian, so I dare say I have pretty good knowledge of my country's history. This is why I want to set the beginning of my timeline in 11th century Byzantine empire with the point of departure from our own at 1071-the battle of Manzikert. The battle itself isn't the important event, but the rebellion in the lands of Bulgaria that followed it is. In our timeline the rebellion was lead by a bolyar (Bulgarian nobleman) called Georgi Voyteh who surrendered power to the son of the Serbian Prince Michael and this lead to great turmoil amongst the rebels, since despite him having Bulgarian royal blood, he behaved like an outsider to the people and this divided the rebellion so much, it was easily crushed by the Byzantines.

However, in my timeline there exists one man who sees the perils of the rebellion in advance and can clearly see it is destined to fail even before the Byzantines come. He is not of noble blood (as far as he knows) and he comes with a plan on his own how to create an independent Bulgarian state during that time. His name is Kamen and he is my main protagonist (initially). He is very good at 2 things-fighting and mathematics and he is....a Heretic!

He hates the Orthodox church and thinks it's only foreign influence on the Bulgarian people, so he decides he can create a better state than the Byzantine empire, something much different than what exists at this time and place. He knows about the works of Plato and a little bit of history of the classical Roman empire (he had made friends with an educated man before the current events), so he attempts to form a Republic, not a kingdom and he attracts people on the promise of fair taxation (something very important during this age) and religious freedom for all who join him. At the background of the empire busy to crush the rebellion of Georgi Voyteh in Europe and a civil war in Asia Minor he heads a band of mercenaries and with the help of some Pecheneges as allies manages to secure some lands in the Paristrion thema of Byzantine (sorry if I am getting some names wrong-I'm trying to translate from Cyrillic here and it may not work well every time) with the chaos in the empire serving to shield his men until he can grow strong enough to challenge the empire.

Thus he creates his little republic of fair taxes and religious freedom between the river Danube and the Hemus mountain range. In a couple he manages to make deal with Pecheneges and Kuman tribes occupying these lands at the time and to provide the foundations for a new kind of system-system treating people equally according to their deeds, not according to their birth. As he makes a name for himself as fair ruler of the land and brave fighter more people join his ranks-both as soldiers and to escape the war-torn empire. This swells the ranks of his band until it can reach more than 1000 men. With his Pecheneges allies this makes enough force to challenge the local bolyars (the established nobility) and to march on the capital of the thema itself. But he doesn't take the city by force instead of relying on a showdown of power to persuade the bolyars to take him seriously. This he strucks a deal with them-they accept his authority and he lets them keep their holdings.

At the meantime the empire comes back from the Bulgarian rebel, the troubles with the Seljuk Turks in Asia Minor and the civil war and dispatches a new Strateg to the thema. His name is Nestor and in our own timeline he himself led a rebellion against the emperor after seeing how much the people suffered as a result of the heavy taxation. But at this time Kamen already has the upper hand and is well established enough in the thema to show himself as a "champion of the people" and he, instead of Nestor heads the rebellion against the empire. He defeats Nestor in an ambush-style battle at the slopes of the Hemus mountain and declares all lands north of the Hemus free from Byzantine rule and fare to the people. This garners him a lot of support amongst the common folk both among the Bulgarians and Pecheneges and he manages to project just enough power to Constantinople to be regarded as serious opponent despite his lower birth.

To accomplish this he relies on his knowledge of the old Roman empire and particularly of the Roman republic. He doesn't want his army to behave like all other mercenary units of the time do-to rely on payment from the state or the noblemen and sometime on pillage, but instead demands strict discipline out of his men and forms them into well-packed units where the coordination with the rest is the utmost priority. He calls his army a legion and he aims to restore the level of discipline and organization the Romans of classical times had. To achieve this he trains his men day and night and promotes people only on the base of merit, not blood instilling high standards of honour and respect among themselves. This turns his legion into utmost fighting machine and the legion is capable of taking on mercenary units twice or even trice its own size. But what is most important is that he manages to persuade his legionaries to rely not on their salaries but on their friends the most and he instils a code of honour where the highest priority is not fighting for money, but fighting for the valour of the legion. Many other mercenaries laugh at his men and sometimes call them idiots for following such a man but their combat effectiveness proves supreme because they have very high level of cohesion and the ability to follow orders with exact precision-qualities not often find among the mercenaries of the period.

At the same time he promises to keep good relations between the local bolyars and the Pecheneges by establishing a senate for his republic. There he announces everyone will have equal voting power and majority rules. Thus it would be possible to balance the relations between the local nobility and the invading Pecheneges and only the senate can rule in favour of one or another amongst them. He uses the senate to lower the taxes for the population at large, to force the Pecheneges to sedentary lifestyle-meaning to stop them from plundering the land and to make the bolyars take less income from their subjects. Anyone who doesn't follow the decisions of the senate is faced by his legion and his legion always has the upper hand against the common mercenaries. Thus, he manages to create a system where both the nobility's and the commoners' interests and the bolyars and the Pecheneges interests are balanced and ties all inhabitants of the land into bonds directly with the senate backed by his legion, not to bonds first and foremost to their suzerains. It means the brake up of the feudal relations in his lands and he slowly but surely starts to replace the previous nobility with clerks who are chosen by strict criteria, instead of bloodlines. He uses the chaos of the Byzantine empire at the time to frighten people into submission to the new system and claims to be doing nothing more than what the empire had to do but failed. All those who oppose him and try to cling to their inheritance are dealt with by the legion and in few years he has both the bolyars and the Pecheneges under his thumb. He progresses in his deeds slowly, meticulously and patiently with out making too much fuss out of it-to get the message across-if you don't follow m, you will be finished, but if you do, you will have cozy place in my republic, albeit without the hereditary privileges you once had. So, he gives the nobility a choice-to accept their new place in society or to die by the swords of his legionaries. The senate is instrumental in his plan since it is it who manages to buy him enough time to do his work while the bolyars and the Pecheneges think they are in control because they are in the senate. The commoners can't stop this process because of the strength of his legionaries and because they are constantly reminded by people paid by him that it was the Bulgarian nobility who gave the throne to foreigners and these foreigners destroyed all hope for the kingdom. His republic is better. Thus, he also never declares himself a king or prince or any other title like that but prefers the title of Hipat, meaning in Greek Consul-not a hereditary title but an administrative one.

He keeps the Byzantines in check by sending some troops-mainly mercenaries and Pecheneg pillage parties south to the thema of Thrace to create chaos out there and to side with different warring fractions. In this time the empire is at civil war and is also preoccupied with problems in Asia Minor and with the Normans coming from Italy to Greece. When he causes even more trouble in Thrace it creates a divergence so the empire can't take him on directly at his stronghold at the Paristrion and instead has to face his proxies in Thrace where he allies himself with other factions opposing the emperor. This is a period of constant shift in power in Constantinople so he uses different factions at different time always causing troubles in Thrace so there is a buffer zone between his lands and Constantinople. However, he uses his elite legionaries sparingly counting on mercenaries and Pecheneges instead.

The tactic works well for a few years and he manages to strengthen his base at the Paristrion enough so there is no longer anyone to oppose him. He manages to elude direct and costly confrontations with the empire relying on ambushes and raids instead and on the alliances with different nobles of the region. However, one man manages to outsmart and outmanoeuvre him and he becomes a threat to his security. His name is Alexious Komnenos and he actually becomes an emperor of the Byzantine empire in this timeline as he did in our own timeline. He is a match for him and after he takes Constantinople and sets up a powerful dynasty decides to go on a march against Kamen. He anticipates the move and organizes his legion-who has swallowed up to more than 5000 men at this point as well as his Pecheneg cavallary onto a steep ravine on the road through the Hemus mountain where he ntercpts the Komnenos army and ambush it. He manages to hold a victory but just barely but the empire at this point in time is very busy to fight wars wit the turks in Asia Minor and with the normans from Italy so when Kamen comes with a peace offer Alexious is forced to accept. However, unlike our timeline where Alexious can engage the Pecheneges several times and ultimately annihilate them in this timeline Kamen keeps them in line and after he manages to subdue the tribes to will of the senate they become far better organized and equipped than in our own timeline. It means the Pechenegs are now an essential part of the army of the republic and are far more dangerous than they were in our timeline due to the military prowess of the legionaries. This worries Alexious a lot as he is now facing powerful opponents in both Asia and Europe and the Byzantine empire is weaker in this timeline than it was in ours.

The stability, law, peace and order that Kamen brings to his republic makes it blossom and soon all kinds of trade and crafts flourish in its orders. This helps bring craftsmen from all over Europe and Kamen manages to fulfil one of his dreams-to create an Academia in his lands-a centre for learning and education available for those who excel at these capacities, not only those who are born into families wealthy enough to support their children for education. In his Academia only the brightest and best remain as he gives them tributes out of merit, not out of blood ties. The Academia acquires rich library and starts doing experiments in various fields of inquiry with one of them having enormous consequences for the destiny of the whole Earth. It is the inquiry into the nature of gasses and pressure. Under his personal guide his academics manage to construct very interesting device-a machine for compressing air, the first compressor in this timeline. They use it to elucidate the gas laws and to discover what in our timeline is known as the Pascal's law of pressure but in this timeline the academics find interesting application to the compressor-hey use it to inject high-pressure air into fire. It means that the influx of oxygen can rapidly increase the temperature of the fireplace greatly. In fact, so much it's now able to generate fires strong enough to smelt iron ore. This is a fundamental discovery for the medieval period as such fires can be used to generate large quantities of one very precious resource for the period-iron! This discovery helps change the republic of Bulgaria as now it's able to produce far better and more high quality iron for armour and weapons than anyone anywhere on Earth. Understanding the potential of the technology Kamen orders relentless work on it until it can be perfected for large-scale production of the metal. It takes a lot of time and resources but eventually his academics discover the potential of charcoal to be used in cameras for the smelting of iron ore and the large-scale production of the metal and after more research-of cast iron. The iron ore "bakery" as they call it takes a lot of money, time and effort to develop but it paves the way for Bulgaria to be able to produce steel on a scale never seen to this point in time and launch it out of the middle ages. It launches the beginning of a whole new age for the economy of the country.

As another application of the work with gases and liquids the academics manage to discover ways to produce large mechanisms capable of directing the force of the liquid under pressure in desired directions. It means the discovery of the first hydraulic mechanisms and in essence of what we now know as fluid dynamics. It helps build hydraulic presses capable of harnessing and directing the energy of the fluid into specified points. They can be used to create an installation capable of bending and shaping the newly discovered pig iron and cast iron into desired shapes and to drill holes in it using hydraulic power. Later on with improvements in the purity of the metal and the control of the application of force the technology to produce sheets of metal is introduced. Based on the hydraulics and furnace research Kamen creates the first in the world in his timeline factory. A factory for the production of iron into specific shapes and sizes for its use in weaponary.

Other developments of the Academy are profound research into the nature of motion-the discovery of the laws of mechanics and the laws of conversion of heat-which leads to the development of the concept of temperature in their research and out of the of the notion of laws of conservation of mass and the discovery of a fundamental property of nature-the existence of energy. Kamen himself makes great contributions to mathematics when he is not drilling his legionaries or on hearings at the senate-he manages to discover what we now call calculus and the logarithmic function. It all builds for a society of religious tolerance on the path to improving itself greatly.

Meanwhile at Byzantium occurs the rebellion of Travul just as it happens during our timeline. He was a Bulgarian but not an Orthodox Christian but a Manichean. He breaks off from Alexious in 1084 soon after the emperor ascends to power. In our timeline he runs away with a lot of his men north of the Hemus mountain but in this timeline there lies the republic of Bulgaria who is just starting its research on smelting iron ore with high-pressure air. Kamen greats him gently and here the history switches gears. With the help of Travul the already established and going forward republic takes on the expertise of one of the best men of Alexious and he serves as a guarantee for the success of the republic. His reputation manages to persuade thousands more Paulichean to join the ranks of the legions of the republic and the heretics of that faith form the bases for its infantry. They become very brave and reliable soldiers and are entrusted with the training of all other legionaries. They also have one more important motivation-they have a place where they can practice their religion freely and with the outcasting of the old bolyar noblemen from the senate their place is taken by the Paulichean soldiers. It, however, creates a rebellion amongst the remaining Orthodox in the republic and a short civil war breaks out. The Orthodox are defeated and their place is taken by the Paulichean Manichean heretics who form the basis of the army-the trainer of the legions. They have very good military skills and prove capable of organizing the army around themselves. That makes the republican army into an ever more formidable fighting machine which now is based around legionaries heretics-men who know that if they lose the fight for the republic they will lose not only their lands, but also their faith. This makes the Bulgarian legionaries formidable in fights since they now put the protection of their faith alongside the protection of the borders and they know that there will be no quarters fighting the empire. They are putting the future of their faith alongside the future of the republic. The republic greatly benefits from this new fighting spirit and eventually drops off all ties to Orthodox Christianity in favour of policy allowing every citizen to practises his faith freely but in reality favouring the Manicheans. It can thus generate stable force of heretics to form the backbone of its legions and they become the dominant element in the army.

All these events, as well as the wars with the Seljuks in Asia Minor worry Alexios so much that just like in our timeline he pleads to the pope for help. He pleads first and foremost for help for the war against the Turks but he also wants help to deal with the heretic republic as well. And here I want to ask a question:

What do you think would have happened to the crusaders participating in the first crusade in this timeline?

Do you think they would have diverted great resources fighting the republic or do you think the crusaders would have just went south to Jerusalem and bypassed the republic? By the turn of the 12th century the republic would have existed for almost 20 years. By that time its legionaries would have assembled enough experience to turn themselves into formidable fighters. Very well organised and disciplined, too. Also following the SPQR moto and directly under the authority of a senate of whom they are part of, not some regional feudal landlord like in the rest of Europe at that time. It also means there are no frictions in the army due to the allegiance of different feudal lords to different suzerains. It's neatly organized fighting force defending not only their lands, but first and foremost-their faith. It means the legions would put one hell of a fight for everyone who tries to take their faith away and they would have an economic and civil backbone in fact identical to that which the legions of the old Roman empire had. It would have been a fight between crusaders and Roman legionaries with medieval style weapons since the only difference between the old time legionaries and these one would have been their armament. Otherwise all other aspects of the inner workings of the legion are the same. Kamen has managed to entirely copy the organization of the old Roman legions and these troops are the best there is in a time when most of the army was mercenaries. Take into account the fact that both Kamen and Travul are excellent commanders and they operate out of their own territory in full accord among themselves. The discipline of the Pecheneg cavalry has greatly improved under the republic, too. With the inclusion of the last migration of Paulicheans and the training of other migrants the army could have swallowed up to 15 000, perhaps even 20 000 troops. This is 4-5 legions. Add another 10 000 Pecheneg cavalry and this is not a small force for the medieval period. Not small indeed. One can argue only about 5000 of those were seasoned veterans from the onset of the legions but the astarties are being trained, too. When you count for the defending the faith element, too, what do you think such a force is capable of? How big of a crusader army could it stop?

Also take into account that the economy of the republic is far better organized than that of any other European state of the time, better than the empire since it was in civil war few years back. Furthermore, Kamen started a campaign of road construction decade or so ago and the republic has roads good enough to make for a fast movement of the legions within its borders. The laws keep peace and all cities are fortified. How do you think the crusaders would fare against a state like this?

The real question I want to ask is how could have the history of Europe and consequently the world changed if the papacy had to fight war on 2 fronts during the crusades. One in Europe and another in the Near East. In this timeline the Byzantine empire is weaker and can barely fight the Turks on its own. However, if the resources of the first crusade were divided between fighting a Roman style republic of heretics bound on defending their land to last man having something like 4 or 5 good Roman-style legions with another 10 000 cavalry do you think the crusades would have been a success? Could the first crusade have failed? Would there have been a second one after it? What could the repercussions of a failed crusades so early on could have been on European history? On Byzantine history? On the catholic church?

Another option is if the republic and the crusaders strike a deal for safe passage. It would have been far better for the heretics. In this timeline the crusaders only pass by near the lands of the republic and nothing happens. But I want to turn your attention to something else. If this happens than there is no one to stop the advancement of science and technology in the republic. It may be based off ancient Rome but as I put earlier Kamen is unique person. He makes the difference between our timeline and this timeline. He is good not only in battle, but also in science. His mathematical skills make him capable of unique insight. An insight no other ruler of the time is capable of. An insight into the nature of human progress. he understands the geometrical progression and the exponential functions. it means he can plot the growth of his production capacity over time. Seeing the data from his officials he rightfully concludes that growth in industry is exponential. It means he knows that the more you invest in certain technologies the more their production capacity increases and cost of production decreases in exponential fashion. He plots it and discovers that is he creates facilities for iron production employing thousands instead of hundreds of people with furnaces designed to scale up the production he could have hundreds even thousand-fold increases in production. He applies the same reasoning for production of other goods like bricks, mortars, fabric, glass and so on and he reaches the conclusion that the most important task of the senate is to streamline production of all goods to maximise the production scale while minimizing the cost in labour. To be concise-he understands industrialization. This is what a good mathematician can do. If you are good with numbers you are destined to understand industrialization well enough. Nobody else has this kind of knowledge at medieval times. his unique background in mathematics makes him able to do it and it's the greatest ace of the republic. The republic isn't recreating the old Rome-it's actually industrializing but only Kamen knows it. Everybody thinks he is some kind of a crazy heretic who is trying to return to the old Roman ways. Actually, it's an endeavour somewhat romantic if you think of it like a medieval person would do. The recreation of the Roman republic is something that could be explained to a medieval person easy enough. Most of the people around him think the same way, too. They think he read a lot about the old Roman ways and is now trying to recreate to recreate them on their behalf.

But he is not!

Being uniquely adept in mathematics what he is trying to build is a society where the production of everything can be scaled up and a craft can be used to better another craft, the increase in production in one item can increase the production of another and overall create a society where the number and quantity of everything increases until there is enough for everybody. This is what he tries to do with his metalworks project and consequentially every little more every day he creates an installation capable of smelting more iron than the rest of the world combined during the age. By the end of his life he manages to scale up iron production so much that now the republic of Bulgaria can supply enough iron to arm and armour everyone of their legionaries better than the knights of Europe can do it for themselves. He creates an industrial apparatus first for the smelting of iron, than for its processing using hydraulic presses and drills and hammers and finally for any other production he can think of. By the end of his life-the 20s and 30s of the 12th century he understand steam power and in a few short years the Bulgarians build their first steam engines. needless to say steam power makes the increase of production ever more rapid and in this way the heretics could in theory have every infantryman turned into full-fledged knight by the middle of the 12th century.

But this isn't what is most important-such a state lead by capable mathematicians could stir up the development of many more new products and use its scientific background to start producing things the rest of the world couldn't think of for centuries. This is what mathematics can give you and if there was a point in history where a mathematician-warrior ruler could have been the best option for a country, than the transition to industrial society is precisely it. Do you agree? Does it seem realistic for you that a mathematician-warrior can turn a medieval heretic state into an industrial powerhouse. if he can understand the exponential growth of production base, I find it plausible. Do you?

What would be the implication from that for Europe and even the world?

How long do you think it would take for the Pope to understand what he's facing? Would he try to destroy the seed of heresy in its infancy or would he be willing to wait until the Holy lands are secured first? How do you think the rest of Europe would feel about a country going completely its own way and turning into something unrecognizable? Do you think the medieval person could even recognize the proportions of industrialization before it's too late for him?

In my timeline the scaling up iron production begins at the late 11th century. This is the first industry to get industrialized. A decade later there are hydraulic presses and drillers. One more the production of cast iron and pig iron is streamlined (e.g. scaled up). In 2 more decades coke is introduced. By the middle 12th century Bulgaria has acquired Herson (e.g. the Crimea) from the Byzantines with its iron ore resources and than it continues north-east to uncover the iron and coal deposits near the river Don. These are huge deposits and smelters are being build there in an entire new city dedicated solely to the production of iron. By the end of the 12th century steel manufacture is perfected but nearly half a century earlier there is already enough iron to arm all the troops of the republic with armours and whatever weapons they choose. The big difference between the heretic republic of Bulgaria and the rest of the world is that due to its scaled up economy it's capable of producing huge quantities of almost everything, so good weapons aren't reserved only for the nobility. It means by the middle of the 12th century it's able to turn each legionary into a knight and thus create entire legions of heavy cavalry. The Pecheneg cavalry falls out of use and by the middle of the 12th century all legions are made up of knights. Before that as the state develops and creates good conditions for the blossoming of its economy the population double every 20 years or so which also means doubling the size of the legions. Thus if by 1100 the republic has 4-5 legions 20 years later it already has 9-10 legions and by the middle of the century it has 9-10 legions. When it converts all of its legions into cavalry it makes up for staggering number of around 50 000 well-armed knights. And those are knights with legionary training and discipline fighting for their own faith just like any other crusader do. What could Europe throw at them?

Continuing the timeline further if the republic survives into the middle of the 12th century I can't see anything able to topple it down any more. It would the inverse-the republic would be able to conquer anything it wants. I can clearly see the first conflicts starting with the kingdom of Hungary even as early as the late 11th century but once the legions have reached maturity I can't see the Hungarians having an easy time conquering fully fledged Roman-like republic. If they don't manage to get what is going on in time what do you think would be their success rate? How big of an army could the kingdom of Hungary destroy in the 12th century in terms of Roman-like legions? At what point they would be outmatched. I don't know enough about Hungarian history but can't imagine them being able to take on more than 5 legions. This is about 20 000 highly disciplined troops. They won't be fighting an ordinary army but well-trained soldiers. At certain point the mag'yars would be badly matched and than the republic could take large portions of the kingdom without trouble. I can see after the knighting of the legions in the middle 12th century no problem at handling anything Hungary can throw at the republic. It would be its first Catholic victim.

But my question is what would the papacy do when it becomes clear the heretic republic is becoming too big of a threat? Would it send all the Hungarian troops to its borders under crusader mandate? Could the Hungarians comply or would they be too exhausted by internal divisions? Also what would happen with the kingdom when they met with the fierce resistance of a country capable of producing more weapons and armour than all of Europe combined? They will not have the economy to counter that.

If the papacy decides to act with a limited power only-e.g. sending only the Hungarians with a small detachment of elite orders of knights like the Templar of the Hospitalier I can see big trouble for the republic in the period before the 1120s where there would be no more than 7 legions, a draw between the 1120s till the middle of the century when there will be about 10 to 15 legions and no chance at all for the Hungarians after the conversion of the footsoldiers to knights. After that if the republic has more than 50 000 knights the pope must send all of Europe's forces to stop it or....start industrializing himself?

And here comes the interesting part of this timeline. In an event that there is an industrializing heretic state on the borders of the Catholic lands which can't be defeated in any normal manner do you think the pope would industrialize his own subjects. Can you imagine the catholic church commanding the faithful to start building factories and completely changing the way of life on its lands in order to catch up with more powerful opponent. If it's the 12th century I can see how much of a trouble it would be to build even one ironworks even if papal spies manage to steal the technology to do so. It would require fundamental rearrangements in society to do so. Would the pope manage to do it anywhere in Europe?

At that time the republic won't stay stagnant. After the metal production there will be the introduction of the steam engine, than by the end of the 12th century of the internal combustion engine and somewhere at the beginning of the 13th century of industrial chemistry and with it comes the ability to produce incendiaries and explosives. For a mere 2 or 3 decades the explosives can evolve from bombs to artillery shells to rifle cartages and by the middle of the century into machine-gun ammunitions. Thus, by the middle of the 13th century the army of knight legions would evolve first into one using artillery pieces, than flying machines like zeppelins and primitive airplanes, than rifles, than machine guns and finally tanks, planes and automatic rifles. What do you think the papacy would do seeing these developments?

Do you think it will start copying the technology and industrializing the rest of Europe possibly causing societal changes that would bring about its downfall?
Do you think it would just surrender to the superior firepower of the industrializing heretic republic?
Or do you think it would do something else entirely different?

If you think about it in our own timeline something similar happened although at a much smaller scale when the British first broke off the pope and than 2 centuries later started industrializing. they were a relatively small country at the periphery of the pope's reach. May be that is what saved them from annihilation at the first place ? but than later on when they reached industrial capabilities the pope and his allies had long ago not been able to do anything about it.

Please, share your thoughts on this heretical republic at the periphery of the papacy's reach scenario. Do you think the republic could manage to brake off so much technologically that after the 13th century it would be impossible for any state to influence it while everybody else would be under its influence or do you think there may be nuclear war around the 1500s between the heretical republic of Bulgaria and the industrialized Western Europe?

Also what do you think the weakened Byzantium would do at that timeline:lose the war with the Seljuks and die off before 1453 like it did in our own timeline, become a Latin kingdom as a result of crusade like it happened in our own timeline but here it never recovers or it can industrialize too and eventually even become a nuclear superpower?

Please, share your thoughts on this timeline. How realistic is that one brilliant mathematician-warrior can bring an entire country out of the medieval age and straight into industrialization? Am I stretching too much here?

The Book Serias I Imagine
I want to turn this timeline into a series of books eventually dealing with the history of this timeline and the impact on the world a single heretic world power would have. I think it is terribly interesting concept to look at because of 2 points.

1.Heretics in Europe tend to be far less aggressive and chauvinistic than the dominant Christian denominations. E.g. I think a heretical power growing out of people who had a lot of struggle themselves would prove to be far less colonialistic and xenophobic than civilizations growing out of the more popular denominations of Christianity. For example, bogomilism regarded even eating meat and having sex as sinful acts, so society where bogomil perfects have high status and are figures to be looked upon would turn out to be less violent than an Orthodox or Catholic one. If the dominant religion of an European superpower is a blend of Manichean, Bogomil and other gnostic traditions instead of Orthodox or Catholic Christianity, than I don't think it would have the desire to conquer the world as European powers in our timeline had. But this of course raises the question of how stable would this denomination be. We see in our timeline that as society progresses the influence of religion dwindles, so going on the same logic an industrializing gnostic state would experience a period of surge in atheism, too. However, it would be interesting to see how this influences such a society.

2.If there is a superpower the churches of both east and west can't handle how could they treat their own subjects? Would they remain as strong as in our timeline or would they disintegrate because too many people are looking out at the alternatives to their own teachings? Or would their increase the terrors of the Inquisition to keep such dissidents in line? Would this impede the progress of society?

I imagine a trilogy of books dealing with end 11th and 12th century heretic republic of Bulgaria up until the Mongol invasion in 13th century.

The first book will deal with the rise of Kamen and his conversion into Bogomilism. He would try to live peacefully at 11th century Byzantine empire at first but would see it would mean giving up his care for the suffering of others as many perils come to the people during these uncertain times. He would love the Bogomil's devotion to God and their wisdom but at the same time see the evil ways of the empire and be torn apart by his desire to help the innocent and the strive for perfection in hermitism. At the end he would decide to take a weapon and fight for those who can't fight for themselves and try building something different. A kind of society where everybody could live in peace and harmony. For this purpose he would change his name to Kamen which in Bulgarian means made of stone inducing an association he is though and strong as a stone. In his new quest he will learn more about Roman history and discover a lot of information about the old Roman republic and its legions. He would decide to reinvent the republic but this time around in the image of his own believes as a beacon of peace and a place where everybody could have fulfilment of their lives as Bogomilism has thought him. However, he would be torn apart in his heart by his love for peace and the cruelty required to achieve it, so he would decide only strength can give peace and only those willing to live by the sword deserve true peace. He would think there is only one way to achieve true peace-by supporting large enough force to crush anyone not aligned with the right of everyone to live in peace. Any aggressor is a threat and only those who can resist the temptation to use their strength in any situation deserve true strength, He would use this principle in recruiting his legions. He would create a brand of heretism in line with it thus breaking off from Bogomilism and every other Christian denomination but at the same time staying true to their spirit and ideals. In the name of his religion he would recruit a band of mercenaries and would put them through many fights with local bolyars (noblemen), Byzantine troops, Pecheneg barbarian and other enemies to form an elite group of warriors understanding his teaching and able to propagate it. Than when Manzikert and the Georgi Voyteh rebellion happen he would have the circumstances needed to put his plan in action.

Than the events I already described in the previous post would happen and as he masters his army and slowly but surely consolidates power over the Paraistrium he would elucidate the ideal of government for his people. He would create a state run not by nobility but by senate chosen by the people themselves in accordance to the principles of the Bogomil communities and where the army is paid by and fed by the senate and only the senate, not by any nobility or suzerens. As his legions grew strong and he uses the chaos in the empire to his advantage he would declare the Paraistrium his new rebublic and start rebuilding the Roman infrastructure of the region. He would create a new capital for his senate and declare fair taxation and the purge of all mercenaries from his lands. When he defeats both the Pecheneges going against him and the angry bolyars he would declare every citizen allegeable for vote and would spread the ways of his teaching beyond his borders. This is the time of the Travul rebellion in our timeline, so I can see how Travul could have joined forces with him and used his influence among the Paulicheans to move to the Paraistrium. In our timeline the Paulicheans formed one of the most elite corps of the Byzantine empire during the 11th century and their military skills were undoubtable as was their hereticism. In this timeline they would have the ability to go to a state where they could practice their believe in peace and freedom, so I imagine they will join Kamen and together with Pecheneges would form the basis of the army of the republic. The Paulichean would form the base of the infantry legions, while the Pecheneges would serve as the cavalry. Thus Kamen would have the force to guard his empire and in this timeline the Pecheneges would never be defeated by the Byzantines and the Travul rebellion would succeed. However, I think this would have profound impact on the Paraistrium theme of the Byzantine empire since now the land would be dominated by heretic Bulgarians and Pecheneges, not by Orthodox Christian. I can see them rising in rebellion with the help of Alexios I Komnenos to protect their faith and what they perceive as unholy forces. I think this civil war would be the last chapter of my first book and will end somewhere around the turn of the 12th century with the legions and the Pecheneges defeating the rebellion and either forcing all Orthodox Christians out of the Paraistrium or outright killing them. This is hen Kamen would be called anti-God man by the Orthodox church and will receive his title of Atheist, hence the name of the series-the struggle of one country created by a man hated by all of its enemies. A man who they call is anti-god, an Atheist.

In the second book Kamen already an old man would reform his republic to make it stand the test of time. As he understands the fragility of his situation and the many enemies he has he would decide to reform the senate, the legions and the means of production in his lands. He would declare himself a permanent hipat, council much like Caesar did in ancient Rome and he will reform the senate so every group of religious denomination can have one representative of this group but in exchange it must provide goods and services for all other. In essence he would create a system where the economics of the country would be entangled with its denominations, so for a place in the senate each sect must provide goods and services all other sects deem sufficient for their own production. I know very well this is the kind of system you have never ever heard of before and I find it one of the most amazing aspects of this timeline. Since 11th century Byzantium was a home of many sects and tribes and a lot of chaos was rampant in society Kamen would be facing an enormous challenge uniting all these different groups for a common purpose. The Byzantines didn't manage to put things in order in our timeline without using the weapons of mercenaries and the authority of the emperor but for Kamen violence wouldn't be an option. His Bogomil upbringing would have thought him the evils of violence, so he would try a different approach. He would take the example of the Bogomil community and tell the people if you want a vote in the senate, than provide something all people need. For example the Paulicheans are good soldiers, so they will become legionaries, the Pecheneges are good riders, so they will become cavalry, the Bogomils are good farmers, so they would grow our wheat, other smaller sects will be given jobs as fishermen, huntsmen, craftsmen and so on. The system will be clear-whoever wants his voice to be heard must provide something for all. The Bogomils would try to disrupt the system with their voices against violence and war but they would be neutralized by the Paulicheans who would take the war efforts themselves while at the same time putting the Bogomils at a place where there efforts could be used to nourish society. His system would prove pivotal not only for Bulgaria, but for the entire world in this timeline as the relationship between social group and production output would mean that as time progresses each heresy, therefore each group having different philosophical system would have to prove their points not by trying to disrupt the republic or going to war against it but by providing a product everyone else would agree is worthy of their place at the senate. Can you imagine a state run by such a system? No capitalism or socialism but different religious (and then simply philosophical) denominations each competing with the others in terms of produce, not as a rival fractions for war.

One of the most important such fractions would be people in agreeing with the philosophy of Kamen himself who regard strength as a prerequisite for peace, who think that only the strong deserve to live in peace as the weak should be tested on the battlefield to gain the strength they deserve to be worthy of peace. These people will become the group who would operate iron manufacture at the republic and he would give them the right to smelt iron ore and produce weapons. As their numbers and experience grow he would have them scale up production and build the first coke furnaces in history. Soetimes around that time Kamen would die of old age and the republic would now face much bigger threat than the Byzantine empire-a crusade from Hungary. Seeing how events unfold at the east the pope would understand how much of a threat the new republic of Bulgaria had became and would send an elite force of crusaders along the Hungarian army to squash the republic. As the Byzantine would be weaker in this timeline it would have to rely on the crusaders more than in our timeline, so eventually Alexios would understand he can't destroy the republic on his own and would call the pope for help. This will be the time soon after the civil war and the exile of the Orthodox from the Paraistrium when a new generations of commanders would have to prove themselves against the Hungarian army and the crusaders.

By this time the republic would have grown in population and could muster 5 legions of footsoldiers and 10 000 Pecheneg cavalry. However the crusaders would proves a worthy opponents and both the legionaries and the Pecheneges would have problems dealing with them. The key event of the crusade would be a siege of the capital where the sheer faith of the citizens in their own ways and the encroaching winter would save them from annihilation. They would be starving behind the city walls but as winter comes the Hungarians would have problems supplying their army, too as the Byzantines would fear that a new Catholic state at the Paraistrium would be too much of a threat for their power. It would be too close to Constantinople so the emperor would want the lands for himself. As the Hungarian king says no the Byzantines would refuse to supply the large Hungarian army and it would have problems surviving the winter. This internal struggle would be all the legionaries would need as they see large part of the Hungarian army departing for the winter. They would launch an attack on them as they try to escape and annihilate them at the passings between the lower and the middle Danube. As the legionaries fight for a clear cause and have utmost discipline and good commanders they would prove better organized and disciplined than the crusader-Hungarian and would use the chaos amongst its leadership to their advantage. Using their experience in long marches, the better road infrastructure of the republic and faith in God they will catch up with the retreating Hungarians at the north-west of the Byzantine empire and would launch a surprise attack. In this moment the pope would understand the republic is a force to dealt with and the Bulgarian would have a chance to recuperate their forces. The Byzantines would take a shot at the weakened republic too but the faithfulness and the discipline of the legionaries would prove too much for the bands of mercenaries the empire uses. The legionaries would have good supply, superb discipline, organised leadership, strong faith in their ways and would be fighting on their own lands while the mercenaries would have to organized a rag-tag army of opportunists willing to fill their pockets against well-oiled fighting machine. The Byzantines would outnumber them 3 to 1 but yet discipline would prove the key and the legions would protect the republic.

However, the lessons of the crusade won't be forgotten. Seeing the efficiency of the cavalry charge the republic would have to dispense with the Pecheneg cavalry and try to come up with something better. Just like the old Roman republic before it there would be a reform in the military and the new standard would be a legion made up of horsemen, not footsoldiers. The republic would change its soldiers into cavalry but retain the strong bonds and discipline amongst them. This means the cavalry charge of these legions would much better coordinated, disciplined and organized than the cavalry charge of the Medieval knights since they were a band of aristocrats each and every under his own rule, often disregarding orders and prone to fight amongst themselves. Their higher position in society and the wealth that came with owning land made them more prone to disregarding orders and prideful than the ordinary soldiers fighting for their homes. But the Bulgarian legionaries won't have these problems. They would be ordinary people fighting for their country and most important-faith, with high discipline, morale and organization lead by people risen out of their own ranks, not nobles whose only virtue is their lineage. The senate would chose commanders based on recommendations of the legionaries themselves after finding them worthy of their status. Thus, it would make for an army much better equipped, disciplined, motivated and lead than anything anywhere in the world exists in this timeline.

The third books would be a tale of a "100 years war" between the new Knights Legions of Bulgaria and the papacy. After the routing of the first crusade against Bulgaria the pope would need about a decade to organize his forces. In this time the republic would reform its military creating the knight-legion and conquering north-western Byzantium and parts of the Carpathian mountains to serve as a "buffer zone" between it and Hungary. They would know the crusaders would be back but the pope would have some troubles organizing different fractions of nobility together and explaining why his crusade failed. In this book the eefficiency of the coke furnaces would have improved so much that now they could manufacture more iron than the whole world combined and the quality of the iron would have improved too. Important development would be the introduction of large crossbows able to kill a horse from 100 feet and new body armour covering all the parts of the body. Due to the scaling up of iron manufacture and the new ways iron can be shaped using hydraulic presses and other devices manufacturing would become very cheap in Bulgaria. So cheap that in fact the iron-casters would be able to arm each and every person of the army with full-body armor, not just mail, would have armor for horses, too and enough arrowheads for every crossbow to fire all day long. The republic would be able to master 10 000 knight and as many fully armoured footsoldiers and this force would meet a large army of Hungarian and Holy Roman Empire crusaders somewhere at the lower Danube. The crusader army would be twice the size of the Bulgarian but the advantage in discipline and full-body armor would save the day. The crusaders would have difficulty fighting well disciplined soldiers in full-body armour under the cover of volleys of crossbow fire and than having to resist an attack by a well-disciplined heavy cavalry. First the crusaders would make a cavalry charge but the infantry would hold because of their good armour. Than as the crusaders retreat to regroup the Bulgarian heavy cavalry would attack in well-ordered formation of knight. The crusaders would have never seen such a disciplined force before and would be routed. Than the infantry would try to charge using superior numbers but the Knights Legions would be able to retreat and regroup fast enough to intercept the charge and break the formations of the infantry. Than the armoured Bulgarian infantry would move on to finish the crusaders.

The pope would not be expecting such a turn of events and would have to now deal with unrest all-throughout Europe facing his defeat. He would have to tighten the rule over all his constituencies as people can see Rome isn't so invulnerable after all. He would react by forming a new order of holy knight to fight the "atheist" (as he would call the heretics of the East) but at the same time his attention would be torn apart by the war in the Holy Lands and the republic. As the Outremer were much bigger target and as the imagination of the people was captivated by stories of the knights fighting at the grave of Jesus, not in some swamps by the Danube he would have troubles recruiting crusaders for the crusade against Bulgaria. In this timeline the Byzantium would be even weaker and it would be impossible for it to launch any sizable attempt to end the republic. Yet, for the most part of the 12the century the republic would be too weak to attack Byzantium, too so the borders would stay at the Hemus mountain range. There would be another reason why the republic would be unwilling to attack south. The population of these regions would be Bulgarian in ethnicity but Orthodox in faith, so if an attack is launched southwards and these lands captured there would be imminent conflict between the "atheists" of the republic and the local population who now sees them as traitors to the true heart of Jesus Christ and curses the fact they are Bulgarians, too.

This is why the expansion of the republic would concentrate of the creation of the "buffer zone" at the north-east Balkans and in the Carpathian mountains and to the north-east where the Pontic step lies. There would eventually be an attack on Herson and the conquest of the Crimea which is rich in iron ore-resource the republic badly needs. The conquest would likely continue further east to the Don basin where lie one of Europe's biggest deposits of iron ore and coal. It's vital resource for the republic so as soon as educated metallurgists reach these lands (by that time controlled by the Kuman horsemen) and discover what lies beneath them, a general decision would made to advance to the location. It would mean the annihilation of the Kumans by new Knights Legions and their assimilation amongst the various sects of the republic. Since the republic has varied make-up to begin with the process wouldn't even be that violent since the Kumans themselves would understand the republic offers them better lifestyle than they would have had in the steps. This however would put the republic at collision course with Kiev's Rus and the next few decades till the end of the 12th century would be filled with conflicts between the knights and the Russians on one front and the newly formed Eastern order of knights and the Hungarians on the other.

During these times the knowledge of smelting, casting and bending iron would increase to such amount it would be now possible to manufacture enough iron for heavy parts and cast them. The knowledge of working with pig iron would increase, too, as to the extent where true steel can now be manufactured and large blocks of cast iron casted. Using these new abilities it would be possible to construct new machines-ones that would be first used to make the casting and production of new iron possible, but later on turn into engines themselves-engines driven by steam. As the republic would face many enemies and could not rely on conquest(and it would be against the religion, too) they would have no other ways of developing but by increasing the efficiency of their technology-it means producing more with less manpower and this means mechanisation. It means industrialization! The developments in mathematics made by Kamen, the structure of economic activity designed to facilitate the division of labour amongst the different heresies, the morale of the "leaders of industry"-the sect adopting Kamen's own philosophy and the constant need for stronger economy to support ever larger military would drive the republic's industrialization like no other state has seen before. Actually, the republic wold have only 2 choices-industrialize and be able to produce more iron than the world had seen or die at the hands of the crusaders. I imagine 3-4 decades of harsh struggle where the knights of the newly formed order for conquest of the East would try to annihilate the republic using superior numbers of Hungarian and Holy Roman Empire troops. When the pope sees that the Hungarians can't handle the republic alone he would make sure there are knight from all over Europe to assist them and would also send a contingent of true soldiers of the cross to help them. It means Templar and Hospitalier knights serving side by side the other crusaders and much more infantry. The crusaders at the region might even reach more than 100 000 people-even more than the entire population of the republic. It would mean the republic would have to industrialize all the time and all those sects too peaceful to do that would be cast away. It would be a time of great struggle for the republic as they would be short on manpower to counter the crusaders. The absorbtion of the Kumans would help a little bit but it won't be enough. Facing ever more well organized raids and large armies from the west the republic would have only one choice-to move the centre of power ever further East. First the centre for iron production would be located at the lower Danube with Drustur (today Silistra Bulgaria) being the major centre of iron manufacture. But as the Hungarian threat grows and the crusaders come it must be moved East, first to Crimea and than to the Don river itself. The Drustur centre would be a good place as the Danube can be used to transport the ore from the Crimea but when the pressure of the crusaders becomes too much on the West it would be wise to build new smelters and new ironworks in the Crimea itself and than further East on the Don river near the large coal and iron deposits there. It would mean now the republic would have 3 centres of production and agriculture-the Paraistrium focusing largely on agriculture, the Crimea where there would be a mix of agriculture and production and the Don basin where iron production would be concentrated. This would make it possible for the republic to lose more of its old territories in the West under the pressure of the incoming crusaders while at the same time shift its production base east, so iron manufacture would not only not diminish but actually prosper. It would make however feeding the growing population a little bit trickier.

What do you think about such a state?

I hate to think that all possibility for the creation of alternate history timeline lies only in change of one historical event or the other. I don't think only one battle or assassination or election or whatever makes the difference between our timeline or another. I like to think of it as a process including many more variables than one event going different way. For example, what could have changed with historical conditions in a certain point in time? I think this gives us far more ground to ponder than single events. Like what if capitalism never rose from feudalism? What if communism conquered the world? What if Sufi islam was able to generate religious tradition for a sustainable government? What if there were more forms of government erasing in Europe during the Enlightenment, than monarchism and republicanism? What if the ideological landscape was so different we couldn't put it in our own ideas of how society could be structured?

I think such questions beg to look at society not as a single string of events bifurcating in one direction or the other at certain points in history but rather as a vibrant organism whose choice is dependant on mutually reinforcing processes. It means a certain battle or assassination isn't as important as one might think but the true importance lies at the social landscape that formed it. That public decisions are more important than individual events and that the outcome of a certain process isn't determined at one point or the other but by collective effort whose roots can't be pinpointed.

This is the worldview I want to expose in my Atheist series as the events in them unfold not as a result of a specific event or clear point in history but as a result of one group of people trying to find their way through destiny, Here the "engine" lies not in a single event in time but the processes that were already occurring at society during centuries old epoch and in the fundamental dichotomies in human nature. This is why my protagonist isn't someone very important in history but a random person who can be argued for didn't made it to history in our own timeline but had his chance in another. He himself however is of little importance-what is important is what could have happened if he had the chance to provoke society to change, to evolve into a direction where it could have expressed itself in ways impossible in our own time. It's more like a Butterfly effect speculation actually than a true work in the alternative history genre but I think this is what makes it so interesting and unusual, too. What do you think about it?

Do you know of any other works who feature similar events-who also try to expose the possible path of an entire new agenda in society, not a single person or the result of single event? Is that even alt-history?

I think you underestimate the difficulties of industrialization. Outside of advances in metallurgy and combustion (which IMO makes industrialization a non-starter till at least the 17th century), there is not a valid reasoning to move to primitive steam engines. Labor was cheap enough, and more effective than early steam engines. More so remember the the industrial revolution really started with textiles. That is because looms were easier to automate, with less power required, which is why they were powered by water wheels in the beginning. Which requires a stead source of cotton or wool.

Furthermore their needs to be pressures to push people into cities, like agricultural reform, to ensure there is enough of a worker base, and that's even ignoring the immense capital requirements to get started. In short, the leap required to industrialization for this republic coming from a feudal which is going to be dealing with massive social, and religious upheaval while being constantly invaded is just to fricken big. I'd be skeptical of any one of those changes you proposed (a republic, an atheist state, industrialization) but all three makes this ASB wish fulfillment. It could be a good story, but I can't see a plausible path for this story.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mary Sue in an alternate history TL before...

Thus he creates his little republic of fair taxes and religious freedom between the river Danube and the Hemus mountain range. In a couple he manages to make deal with Pecheneges and Kuman tribes occupying these lands at the time and to provide the foundations for a new kind of system-system treating people equally according to their deeds, not according to their birth. As he makes a name for himself as fair ruler of the land and brave fighter more people join his ranks-both as soldiers and to escape the war-torn empire. This swells the ranks of his band until it can reach more than 1000 men. With his Pecheneges allies this makes enough force to challenge the local bolyars (the established nobility) and to march on the capital of the thema itself. But he doesn't take the city by force instead of relying on a showdown of power to persuade the bolyars to take him seriously. This he strucks a deal with them-they accept his authority and he lets them keep their holdings.

The Pechenegs then turn on him and raid his lands—there’s no way a random peasant can make a deal that’s more satisfying than ruling and raiding themselves

I hate to think that all possibility for the creation of alternate history timeline lies only in change of one historical event or the other. I don't think only one battle or assassination or election or whatever makes the difference between our timeline or another. I like to think of it as a process including many more variables than one event going different way. For example, what could have changed with historical conditions in a certain point in time? I think this gives us far more ground to ponder than single events. Like what if capitalism never rose from feudalism? What if communism conquered the world? What if Sufi islam was able to generate religious tradition for a sustainable government? What if there were more forms of government erasing in Europe during the Enlightenment, than monarchism and republicanism? What if the ideological landscape was so different we couldn't put it in our own ideas of how society could be structured?

I think such questions beg to look at society not as a single string of events bifurcating in one direction or the other at certain points in history but rather as a vibrant organism whose choice is dependant on mutually reinforcing processes. It means a certain battle or assassination isn't as important as one might think but the true importance lies at the social landscape that formed it. That public decisions are more important than individual events and that the outcome of a certain process isn't determined at one point or the other but by collective effort whose roots can't be pinpointed.

This is the worldview I want to expose in my Atheist series as the events in them unfold not as a result of a specific event or clear point in history but as a result of one group of people trying to find their way through destiny, Here the "engine" lies not in a single event in time but the processes that were already occurring at society during centuries old epoch and in the fundamental dichotomies in human nature. This is why my protagonist isn't someone very important in history but a random person who can be argued for didn't made it to history in our own timeline but had his chance in another. He himself however is of little importance-what is important is what could have happened if he had the chance to provoke society to change, to evolve into a direction where it could have expressed itself in ways impossible in our own time. It's more like a Butterfly effect speculation actually than a true work in the alternative history genre but I think this is what makes it so interesting and unusual, too. What do you think about it?

Do you know of any other works who feature similar events-who also try to expose the possible path of an entire new agenda in society, not a single person or the result of single event? Is that even alt-history?
Thats not really how history works im afraid, nevermind alternate history.

Its fine to view history as a conplex web, and indeed you should. But small things do make the difference.
I.e. say Temujin fails to Jamukah. Jamukah was not very popular, and was backwards enough that his owj men went to Temujin's side after he beat Temujin in a battle. The chances of him raising the mongol empire to the same heights is incredibly poor.
This means that the information exchange that a united and secured silk road created doesnt occur untill potentially later (if at all), delaying global tech progression. The absence of such even slows down european shipcraft related developments, as the voyages of people like Columbus were largely aiming to reestablish contact with the yuan court.

PODs are important because peoplr are people. We do actions because of our environments, and environments change depending on what occurs. Not all things are possible, and PODs are the way we demonstrate possibility. PODs never exist in isolation, but they are an essential part of making an alternate history as opposed to historical fantasy.

"1.What is the relationship between the dominant religion in society and its level of technological development? E.g. can religion inhibit or accelerate the development of technology and to what extent?"

The New Atheist obsession with technology is rather creepy in all honesty. It's amazing how this is the first measuring stick that occurs to these guys, and not things like the level of equality, justice and lack of tyranny and oppression in a society, which don't depend on technology and which technology has historically hindered (see British colonialism after the Industrial Revolution, the two World Wars and the current American War on Terror against the Islamic world).

Indeed, in the Enlightenment which Christopher Hitchens said needed to be revived, it's sociopolitical progress that was the standard of a successful society and the goal that they strived to, not technology. They cared about achieving equal rights and political emancipation, not space age technology. Even when they promoted "science" it was just to refute religions (mainly Catholicism and Islam) and promote secularism that way, not for the creation of new technology.

I'm not even a fan of the Enlightenment, and still know that the likes of Diderot, Rousseau, Montesquieu, Hume and Kant would condemn the New Atheist gurus like Dawkins and Harris for only obsessing over technology and disregarding for the most part political emancipation.

"1.What is the relationship between the dominant religion in society and its level of technological development? E.g. can religion inhibit or accelerate the development of technology and to what extent?"

The New Atheist obsession with technology is rather creepy in all honesty. It's amazing how this is the first measuring stick that occurs to these guys, and not things like the level of equality, justice and lack of tyranny and oppression in a society, which don't depend on technology and which technology has historically hindered (see British colonialism after the Industrial Revolution, the two World Wars and the current American War on Terror against the Islamic world).

Indeed, in the Enlightenment which Christopher Hitchens said needed to be revived, it's sociopolitical progress that was the standard of a successful society and the goal that they strived to, not technology. They cared about achieving equal rights and political emancipation, not space age technology. Even when they promoted "science" it was just to refute religions (mainly Catholicism and Islam) and promote secularism that way, not for the creation of new technology.

I'm not even a fan of the Enlightenment, and still know that the likes of Diderot, Rousseau, Montesquieu, Hume and Kant would condemn the New Atheist gurus like Dawkins and Harris for only obsessing over technology and disregarding for the most part political emancipation.

I will say this: as a devout Catholic and someone who agrees that the Enlightenment needs a slightly more critical assessment, measuring society by a technological benchmark first and foremost is not all that bad a system.

I will say this: as a devout Catholic and someone who agrees that the Enlightenment needs a slightly more critical assessment, measuring society by a technological benchmark first and foremost is not all that bad a system.
The reason we care about technology is for it's affect on the human condition. Yeah, it's not the worst way to evaluate a society. But the best part of tech is that if can help us beat resource scarcity, and communicate better. Tech is not an ends but a means.

The reason we care about technology is for it's affect on the human condition. Yeah, it's not the worst way to evaluate a society. But the best part of tech is that if can help us beat resource scarcity, and communicate better. Tech is not an ends but a means.

Agreed 100%. But it is a relatively easy means to track. And given what it is a means to, an excellent proxy to those ends.

bogomilism regarded even eating meat and having sex as sinful acts, so society where bogomil perfects have high status and are figures to be looked upon would turn out to be less violent than an Orthodox or Catholic one.

Buddhism also frowns on meat and sex. This never stopped Buddhist monks and laity throughout history from eating meat, marrying, and-- of course-- waging destructive wars. Also, your version of Bogomilism-- a version which is actively committed to building an strong state with legions that go on to confront the Pope-- seems as though it would be just as good a vehicle for imperialism as any strand of Nicene Christianity. The Republic's founders may not intend such a thing, but republics can be hijacked and so can religions.

He knows about the works of Plato and a little bit of history of the classical Roman empire (he had made friends with an educated man before the current events), so he attempts to form a Republic, not a kingdom and he attracts people on the promise of fair taxation (something very important during this age) and religious freedom for all who join him.

Two things:
1. The Roman Republic grew out of the city of Rome's centuries old civic traditions, which facilitated the creation of a self-sustaining patrician caste that had a history of working together on political matters. They could envision a future beyond the Roman monarchy and had the cohesiveness necessary to give post-monarchic institutions real power. It's not clear that Bulgaria's boyars fit this role or that Kamen can force them to within a single lifetime.
1a. And with Kamen devoting his entire life to this project and with most of his "leaders of industry" being devotees of his sect... to what extent is this republic actually a republic instead of an incredibly personalized sometimes-benevolent autocracy pretending to be one? His leadership style, I hate to say, feels more "Todor Zhivkov" than "Cincinnatus".
2. Kamen's republic will likely lack the bureaucracy needed to consistently collect fair taxes. He could solve this by getting literate clerics to serve as republican officials, but many of those same clerics are likely to be Orthodox and unfriendly to heresy. He could alternately rely on a small group of like-minded Bogomil tax-farmers, but they would likely recognize that they are indispensable to the Republic and begin abusing their power since Kamen can't exactly fire them. He could also rely on the Pechenegs, but they have no real obligation to him or to his goals.
2a. To be frank, who even defines what fair taxes are? The boyars? The peasants? This is important to resolve, since the constituency that supports Kamen in his quest will heavily influence the endpoint of that quest. Followers tend to demand things of their leaders, and it is impossible to a leader to implement 80% of his policy without changing 20% of it.

I think what makes a good TL, for me, is (at least partially) abandoning idealism. Even the most outrageous wank should be prepared to admit that change, especially on a historic levels, happens slowly and haltingly.

Last edited:
There is a way for it to happen
I would like to answer to all of you who feel Kamen can't handle his republic by stating the obvious fact that the Byzantine empire in this age was a mess and I mean A MESS with capital letters. Please, see the Chronography of Michael Psellos( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Psellos )It was a time of random violence and constant strife, furthermore the Bulgars occupying half the European empire were already being disillusioned with the bolyars (the hereditary aristocracy) after 2 unsuccessful rebellions. Please see the history of the Peter Delyan and Georgi Voyteh rebellions. This is part of the reasons why different heresies were so rampant during these years. People were confused and striving and the dissatisfaction with authorities was rampant (I mean both with the local bolyars and with the Byzantine officials). I argue it was possible for a single man to unite under his banner enough men to form a cohesive fighting unit. A fighting unit capable of waging war on the mercenaries of the empire, the invading step tribes and the local bolyars. His strength is his combination of both intelligence and military prowess. It's what gives him an edge over the others and I argue he could have organized around himself enough men to be able to take part of the empire for himself and his new social system. Actually, I have very good precedent in the history of the 11th century Byzantium-the rebellion of Peter Delyan. As a Bulgarian he would have known the details of the rebellion very well since he would have had the chance to meet eyewitnesses firsthand. This rebellion was started by a man with a dubious background-Peter Delyan who was able to persuade many Bulgarians at the periphery of the empire that he was of the bloodline of the last great king of Bulgaria-Samuel. Many people raised voices of distrust to him because he had no proof of his claims but this doesn't prevented many more ordinary peasants to swear allegiance to him. Even to this day historians can't asses his claims. We can't be sure was he really of Samuel's bloodline or was he just an imposter trying to become king. The truth is it really doesn't matter in this historical context. He was unable to prove his heritage but was able to unite many people under his banner and defeat the empire. But then a true heir of Samuel's bloodline appeared. His name was Alusian-the son of Ivan Vladislav who murdered his supposed father Gavril Radomir in 1015-an event that spiralled the first Bulgarian kingdom into chaos and immensely helped the Byzantines in their conquests. It was him who laid his eyes on the throne of the now rising new Bulgarian state and with the help of the bolyars was able to invite Peter Delyan to a feast and cut his nose and blind him there. Than after he took the crown for himself he deserted his army, went back to the Byzantines and left the now blind king to fight a losing battle. The truth of history is when the commoner was a king the rebellion was going well and there was a chance for success. But when the true son of the true king came he betrayed his people.

Now imagine how would an 11th century peasant feel when he hears this story? Who would he trust-the church, the empire and his bolyars or some random guy but a guy with strong army, sweet tongue and offer of freedom?

I know you will think he would be distrusted under normal circumstances and I agree he would but the state of the empire during that time wasn't normal! Some people even believed the end of the world was near. There was strife in every aspect of life and people were forced to doubt everything. This is why heresy was so rampant. If they saw such a powerful figure capable of providing the with a new light, with hope, with opportunity, they might just have followed him. If not out of any other reasons, than only because of fairer treatment. Being intelligent man he would have seized the opportunity and reminded them of Peter Delyan and how it was his own counrtymen, his own bloyars who betrayed him. This would spark his followers to hate on the bolyars and be willing to wipe them out, at least those who disagree with him. Than he would also use elements of all those sects popular at the time to convince his followers God lives in only one place-The Soul of man, not at the Hagia Sofia in Constantinople or in the mansions of the bolyars and you know very well that religion can motivate soldiers like nothing else. Big part of his motivational speeches would be to trust their own senses and explore the world for what it really is, not for what others tell them it is. It means a science-like approach to reality right out of the bat and with his talents in mathematics the state he would create would have the curiousity for science in its infancy. How about that?

All you need for industrialization is resources and the drive to do it. There are resources near the Paraistrium in accessible range for the republic-namely coals and forests in the Hemus mountain range and iron ore in the Crimea. If the expansion of the republic was directed north-east they could get their hands on the huge iron and coal deposits in the Don river basin, too. I imagine the timeline would develop just like that. Starting with increased efficiency iron smelters, the republic would first decide to expand towards the lands of the Kuman absorbing them both by conquest and religious assimilation. Than, it would conquer the Crimea (Herson) for its iron ore and finally establish large settlements in the Don basin where huge deposits of coal lie. These resources would drive its industrialization in the 12th and 13th century. There are accessible oil fields in todays Romania (then Walachia), too. The geography is on its side. The Carpathian mountains and the Danube river would provide for natural defences to strengthen its defence against both the Byzantines and the Hungary-Crusaders alliance and when they scale up iron smelting (mid 12th century) they would be able to create primitive but effective steam boats. Actually I think this is what would motivate them for their own industrial revolution. Steel steamboats can be efficient for 2 things:

1.Keep the Byzantines out of managing a landing on the Crimea because these boats would be made entirely of metal and therefore would be invincible for Greek fire and

2.You can use steam boats to block major rivers in Europe. Actually, in our own timeline this was the purpose of the Bulgarian navy in the middle ages. Bulgaria didn't had the resources or the expertise to build bug navy to counter the Byzantium empire. That is why they built a smaller one made out only of medium sized boats that could be used for blocking rivers. They used it to block the Danube but I can see this same experience growing into the production of small boats made up from iron with steam engines to block the big rivers in the region.With such navy the Danube, the Prut, the Dneper, the Bug, the Dnester and even the Don rivers could be controlled. With it there is no way either Hungarian-Crusader army, nor the Byzantines to launch an attack to the industrial bases of the republic at Crimea or the Don bases. This is how the republic would survive a crusade and this is how it can master its industry to the point where it would be unstoppable. The drive to advance the steam engine would be powered by the need of better steam boats. They would be a matter of survival for the republic, thus major resources would be spent for the technology. What do you think about such timeline? Do you agree with its premises?

Last edited:
Once more I got to say you are WAAAAYYY over estimating how easy industrialization is. There is a reason that Rome at it's height never did and China only became proto-industrialized at one point. Industrialization requires not only resources, but it requires an extensive social system that can acquire new technical know how, and a bunch of illiterate peasants arn't going to be able to do that. More so, at this point in history people are cheap, it is cheaper tot throw more bodies at a problem and much more effective than trying to machine a new solution. In part because they are trying things at random. We might be able to figure out a combustible engine because we have a vague idea of what it can do, and how it can work. But these people would have NO idea what it even is. Most scientific advances till the the 17th century were coming from random rich guys as hobbyists, or pure chance. Bulgaria in the 13th surrounded by enemies is not going to have the systems in place to generate knowledge, and have the ability/need to industrialize. It could start the industrial revolution, or cause it to happen sooner but that is only after a few hundred years of reform.

Also, I'm going to take issue with your republic. In no uncertain terms, would it not be a Liberal democracy as we know it. One they do not have the political evolution that would allow those institutions to take root, but if we are being brutally honest in the 13th century peasants don't matter. They have little to know political/economic influence except for in a group, and even then they are better as arms of a lord who can command them. There is a reason that the republics of medieval Europe were basically Oligarchies. Even the most progressive would only include prominent craftsman in them. To assume otherwise is to basically impose your beliefs on a people who wouldn't understand you. Now there are other models of pre-modern republics, but those are the PLC which was all about land which could be used to break the power of the feudal lords and distribute the land into parcels for the peasants but I can't imagine this will be productive and this system would dis-advantage the cities. Or you could do the Rome model but that was basically a City ruling the rest of the lands. It was also basically a crime family with systems of patronage and with the armies at time being private entities and more powerful that the state. Heck, Augustus was *only* first citizen, and the 'imperial' treasury was really just his personally absurd level of wealth.

TLDR; the world, especially in the 12th century, is a harsh brutal place that will not be turned into an idealistic republic in 200 years let alone in the lifetime of one man

Agreed 100%. But it is a relatively easy means to track. And given what it is a means to, an excellent proxy to those ends.
Agreed because the institutions in place to generate it are are often egalitarian and for the general prosperity of people. But much like GDP it means we can miss important questions

I still think this rebellion ends at the Pechenegs, because if convincing Bulgarian peasants to go along with a democracy is difficult convincing foreign nomads that would like to raid your lands of the same is a thousand times more so. Alternately the Byzantines or Bulgarian bolyars could buy them out.

Different social system than anything we have seen in our own timeline
FellowNerd, please, read my first post carefully.

There mentioned likely scenario of what would have happened after the joining of Kamen and Travul's forces and the end of the feudal system as they new it. The uniqueness of Kamen is his foresight. He is able to pinpoint all the faults of the empire and due to his bogomil teachers (actually Bulgarian aristocrats who turned away from their families because they saw how awful the system was for the people) he had knowledge of the old Roman republic. It was common to educate people of enemy aristocracy's families for the empire and his teacher when he was still teenager was one such man. He saw what the bolyar aristocracy had turned into-oppressors of the people and allies of the Byzantines, so he despised them (as any straight thinking patriot would do) and he left his family to become a hermit. As a teenager Kamen meets this man in the solitude of a small Bogomil community in the forests and he teaches him many things. He teaches him Greek and Latin language, theology-both the Orthodox and the Bogomil versions of it, mathematics and most important history. It was possible for such well educated members of influential families of imperial enemies to receive this kind of education. The empire was well-known for its higher levels of literacy compared to the rest of Europe and its willingness to train the children of foreigners in their own ways in attempt to persuade them to serve it. Actually, this is how it managed to persuade most of the bolyars not to cause any problems after the conquest of the first Bulgarian kingdom.

But what the empire didn't managed to predict was the heresies that spread with the education of the Bulgarian lands. I can argue that most of the creators of the big heresies of the age-Bogomilism, Paulicheanism and Adamism weren't idiots. They weren't "stupid peasants" who invented new religions to fend off the church. The creators of the most popular heresies were often of noble blood themselves and came from the clergy or the bolyars. Seeing the mistakes of their time they decided to fix them by creating new believes to create the God's kingdom on Earth. This was the prime purpose of every heresy of the time-to alleviate the suffering of the masses by correcting the role of the church. Some noblemen were also well into heresy during the epoch and joined the ranks of the heretics in an attempt to change the way nobility ruled over the people. Often their motivation was genuine and they truly believed they could contribute to a better society by removing the Orthodox church and replacing it with a better one. This was true for the Bogomils, too, so there were well educated people coming straight from some of the epmire's best schools. Kamen being naturally gifted in fields like philosophy and mathematics could have caught the attention of one such bogomil and got his education from him. It is also possible they both view their meeting as the will of the divine, that's how he could be able to get good education into the ways of the empire, its history and the Orthodox theology.

But seeing the mistakes of his time he decides this system is flawed at the beginning. The flaw is too much power at the hands of a single man-the emperor. This is why he views the concentration of power as inherently evil. In order to avoid it he thinks first of the republic and the choice of senators by the people. He also thinks the legions must be controlled by the senate and the senate alone to squash anyone who wants to chop off land for himself in feudal manner. He understands feudalism better than anyone in his age and he finds a critical weakness in it-the lack of cohesion. Feudal states rely too much on vassalism and if enough landlords give up on the suzerain the state is in trouble. He views this vassal relationship as the critical weakness of feudalism and understands that a strong central authority directly commanding the army would be able to crush vassal relationship and thus unite all the lands under one dominion. This is why he goes to create his legion of unmatched discipline and his senate which alone can command the legions. He uses the legion to crush both local bolyars and Pecheneg leaders by picking on them one by one and offering the losers a deal-either join the senate or die. This is how he creates the republic-first he uses hideouts at the Hemus mountain to emass enough troops to be able to face the mercenaries of the bolyars and the Pecheneges. Fighting in the mountains is difficult at this age, so smaller but better organised, lead and disciplined force can take on a larger army using the difficulties of the terrain. He uses heretics to get his supplies from and they rely on his legion to get at least some friendly forces on their side. This is how he builds his base at the mountain. When Manzikert happens he suddenly has his chance. With the empire in disarray he marches his forces against the local bolyars. They couldn't obtain enough help from the emperor because of the civil war and the Georgi Voyteh rebellion, so his legion manages to crush the local bolyars and claim their lands. He offers them a deal-join the senate or die. This is how the senate is established. Than he goes on to persuade some Pecheneges to join them against the imperium and some accept. Those who don't face his legion and he again dominates them. After this second victory word of his success spread around and he is able to recruit many more man for the legion. The army grows large enough to pose a threat to all the bolyars in the Paraistruim, so they try to ruse him. They first get away from his path in their mentions, than open for him the gates of the capital of the theme-Druster but meanwhile await for the arrival of large army from Constantinople. However, Kamen is smart enough to see the ruse and executes his own plan to ambush the Byzantines as they cross the Hemus mountain. After the battle he again offers the bolyars and the Pecheneges chance to join the senate or die but this time around he puts a limit on the size of the mercenary army each can have-small enough to be no threat for a full legion. He manages to balance the relationship between the bolyars and the Pecheneges by taking no side in their conflicts and having the middle ground. At the time his army becomes entire devoted to the senate and all traces of vassalage in his lands are eradicated. As this happens he starts removing in one way or the other both the bolyars and the Pecheneg aristocracy and replacing them with leaders of different sects.

This is his plan!

Remove the bloodlined aristocracy with religious leaders each chosen by their own community. Thus, instead of having a senate made up from nobles (e.g. an oligarchy) you would end up with a senate made up from clergy. However, as the republic grows and is threaten from all sides each senator, therefore each religious sect would acquire one more responsibility-the duty of supplying different resource. By the end of his life Kamen manages to create a system where dozen or so religious communities each have different economic function for the country. For example, the Bogomils being the most prominent community excel in agriculture and medicine, so the feeding of the populace and the construction of hospitals are given to them. Paulicheans form the backbone of the legions, the descendants of the Pecheneges form the cavalry and are responcible for animal husbandry. His own sect mans the growing iron industry and starts the mechanisation of the economy. There are some other minor sects which govern things like post services, glass, leather and cotton manufacture and other are specialised in forestry and fishery. The economic system of the republic is nothing like what we know today! This is the uniqueness of the timeline. If you change the outcome of the struggle between the major branches of Christianity and the heretics, you might have ended up with a society so different than what we have today, you couldn't even recognise it! The prominent herecies of the Medieval ages were opposed to feudal relations and in their own specific ways-to the idea of concentration of power at the hands of the aristocracy. The Bogomilism was particularly vocal about the need to stop obeying to the aristocracy and treat people on their spiritual merits, not upon their birth rights. Imagine what kind of society could these heretics build if they had the chance to get a proper leader at a suitable moment in history. As we know from our own timeline when the reformation happened suddenly those regions where the protestants had the upper hand became much richer and technologically more advanced than the regions where they didn't had it. It is a fact of history that regions who managed to escape the clutches of the church prospered more than those who didn't. But never was the threat of the church entirely removed until few centuries later, until the enlightenment.

No imagine a timeline where one of the most distinct and self-sustaining trends in society is precisely the authority of the Soul over the authority of the blood. Imagine a society where the religious norm is to be judged not by the history of your bloodline, but by the contents of your character, where the leading social institutions aren't family power houses but religious groups. The world of Kamen is a world where he eventually gives up his power to a senate comprised of representatives of different Christian denominations, not houses of power, The goal of his life isn't to be a Roman style republic where one family contests power with others, nor a modern style republic where one is chosen by the lump of people randomly living in certain area and the number of seats is determined by the number of people in each constituency. In the Kamen's senate the number of representatives is decided by the produce they provide and their respective roles to others. That is the numbers of steel mills' senators depend on iron manufacture and the need for iron in the society. The representatives of all other industries assemble on senate meeting to decide how many seats the steel workers need to have on the senate (I'm even thinking of Kamen dropping the name senate at all shortly before he dies but don't know what else to replace it with to sound meaningful). Than they do the same for the agriculture seats, the clothing seats, the legionaries and so on. When a motion needs to pass it is contested against other motions and the one who has the most votes wins. In this system different RELIGIOUS groups, not capitalist enterprises, not bloodlines, not even guilds supply the manpower to different industries and in return they can increase the number of seats they have on the senate if more people consider their produce to useful compared to other religious groups! Can you wrap your mind around such a system?

Do you think it can lead to successful medieval industrialisation?

I think it can because the factor driving the production is the contestants of faith and therefore social organization, not market forces and it makes for one hell of an efficient system at the medieval times. I also think labour is not cheap within the confines of such a system because it's build by HERETICS-people who don't oblige by the dogma of the church and are internally poised to view it as an abomination of the true faith. Such people would care and cherish about the human life and will be opposed to exploitation because for them it's a matter of fait to do so. So, in the same manner the development of produce good for the people will be a matter of fait, too. And it would be fait, not money, driving the industrialisation. can you imagine how different would such a society turn out to be compared to our modern one?

About the Pecheneges
The Pecheneges didn't had cohesive structure to begin with. It means you can pick them up one by one, tribe by tribe manouvering your way into alliances with some and using internal strife to conquer them. What Kamen would have done is used the legion to destroy the most opposing fractions and ally himself with others. First he would give them place in the senate by the bolyars and than when he starts removing the bolyars one by one, the next in line would be the opposing Pecheneges. This is hw he would build his republic.

Do you have any objections against such a turn of events?

FellowNerd, please, read my first post carefully.

Your first post is over 11 thousand words with about 25 paragraphs. Complexity is not a substitution for plausibility. It doesn't matter how well you wrote it, unless you can make your arguments more concise it will lead to confusion no matter how carefully some one reads the post

There mentioned likely scenario of what would have happened after the joining of Kamen and Travul's forces and the end of the feudal system as they new it. The uniqueness of Kamen is his foresight. He is able to pinpoint all the faults of the empire and due to his bogomil teachers (actually Bulgarian aristocrats who turned away from their families because they saw how awful the system was for the people) he had knowledge of the old Roman republic. It was common to educate people of enemy aristocracy's families for the empire and his teacher when he was still teenager was one such man. He saw what the bolyar aristocracy had turned into-oppressors of the people and allies of the Byzantines, so he despised them (as any straight thinking patriot would do) and he left his family to become a hermit. As a teenager Kamen meets this man in the solitude of a small Bogomil community in the forests and he teaches him many things. He teaches him Greek and Latin language, theology-both the Orthodox and the Bogomil versions of it, mathematics and most important history. It was possible for such well educated members of influential families of imperial enemies to receive this kind of education. The empire was well-known for its higher levels of literacy compared to the rest of Europe and its willingness to train the children of foreigners in their own ways in attempt to persuade them to serve it. Actually, this is how it managed to persuade most of the bolyars not to cause any problems after the conquest of the first Bulgarian kingdom.

This is more or less 'plot' so while it can be implausible, implausibility is the basis of reality. Your Great man, Kamen, is a forward thinking man, my only advice here is that remember what he is coming from, mostly in the form of his ignorance of a better way. The second bit is for every forward thinker there are 30 dolts who think that he is an idiot. Most can't recognize the difference so a lot of your work is him convincing the various groups of why he is better than anyone else to lead. This means compromising with his ideals, or a lot of ruthlessness, both will follow him in his regime when he gets there.

But what the empire didn't managed to predict was the heresies that spread with the education of the Bulgarian lands. I can argue that most of the creators of the big heresies of the age-Bogomilism, Paulicheanism and Adamism weren't idiots. They weren't "stupid peasants" who invented new religions to fend off the church. The creators of the most popular heresies were often of noble blood themselves and came from the clergy or the bolyars. Seeing the mistakes of their time they decided to fix them by creating new believes to create the God's kingdom on Earth. This was the prime purpose of every heresy of the time-to alleviate the suffering of the masses by correcting the role of the church. Some noblemen were also well into heresy during the epoch and joined the ranks of the heretics in an attempt to change the way nobility ruled over the people. Often their motivation was genuine and they truly believed they could contribute to a better society by removing the Orthodox church and replacing it with a better one. This was true for the Bogomils, too, so there were well educated people coming straight from some of the epmire's best schools. Kamen being naturally gifted in fields like philosophy and mathematics could have caught the attention of one such bogomil and got his education from him. It is also possible they both view their meeting as the will of the divine, that's how he could be able to get good education into the ways of the empire, its history and the Orthodox theology.

What is Paulicheanism, Google has like 5 references and one of them is this thread. But Religious movements are usually isolated, slow moving or top down affairs., I have no doubt that any of these heresies would be popular, just that they would be opposed because you aren't going to get uniform adoption, and as the heresy becomes more established they will have their own heresies to deal with which will be its own nut show

But seeing the mistakes of his time he decides this system is flawed at the beginning. The flaw is too much power at the hands of a single man-the emperor. This is why he views the concentration of power as inherently evil. In order to avoid it he thinks first of the republic and the choice of senators by the people. He also thinks the legions must be controlled by the senate and the senate alone to squash anyone who wants to chop off land for himself in feudal manner. He understands feudalism better than anyone in his age and he finds a critical weakness in it-the lack of cohesion. Feudal states rely too much on vassalism and if enough landlords give up on the suzerain the state is in trouble. He views this vassal relationship as the critical weakness of feudalism and understands that a strong central authority directly commanding the army would be able to crush vassal relationship and thus unite all the lands under one dominion. This is why he goes to create his legion of unmatched discipline and his senate which alone can command the legions. He uses the legion to crush both local bolyars and Pecheneg leaders by picking on them one by one and offering the losers a deal-either join the senate or die. This is how he creates the republic-first he uses hideouts at the Hemus mountain to emass enough troops to be able to face the mercenaries of the bolyars and the Pecheneges. Fighting in the mountains is difficult at this age, so smaller but better organised, lead and disciplined force can take on a larger army using the difficulties of the terrain. He uses heretics to get his supplies from and they rely on his legion to get at least some friendly forces on their side. This is how he builds his base at the mountain. When Manzikert happens he suddenly has his chance. With the empire in disarray he marches his forces against the local bolyars. They couldn't obtain enough help from the emperor because of the civil war and the Georgi Voyteh rebellion, so his legion manages to crush the local bolyars and claim their lands. He offers them a deal-join the senate or die. This is how the senate is established. Than he goes on to persuade some Pecheneges to join them against the imperium and some accept. Those who don't face his legion and he again dominates them. After this second victory word of his success spread around and he is able to recruit many more man for the legion. The army grows large enough to pose a threat to all the bolyars in the Paraistruim, so they try to ruse him. They first get away from his path in their mentions, than open for him the gates of the capital of the theme-Druster but meanwhile await for the arrival of large army from Constantinople. However, Kamen is smart enough to see the ruse and executes his own plan to ambush the Byzantines as they cross the Hemus mountain. After the battle he again offers the bolyars and the Pecheneges chance to join the senate or die but this time around he puts a limit on the size of the mercenary army each can have-small enough to be no threat for a full legion. He manages to balance the relationship between the bolyars and the Pecheneges by taking no side in their conflicts and having the middle ground. At the time his army becomes entire devoted to the senate and all traces of vassalage in his lands are eradicated. As this happens he starts removing in one way or the other both the bolyars and the Pecheneg aristocracy and replacing them with leaders of different sects.

This is his plan!
*pushes anime glasses up* All according to plan
Seriously though, his troops would have no reason to actaully be loyal to the Senate they would be loyal to Kamen. He's leading them to victory, and he's getting them loot. Which is the only way he'll be able to sustain these mercenaries. Patriotism is pretty rare when you can't eat. Which means he'll be pissing off people in his raids. I can believe you can pull off a successful rebellion during this time frame though. Kamen is also human he's going favor groups no matter how hard he tries and so either his Bolyars, Pecheneges, or peasants in his army are going to be ticked at him in some cases for *not* treating them as better than the other guys. Also if they are loyal trying to replace them with other leaders is a recipe for rebellion.

Remove the bloodlined aristocracy with religious leaders each chosen by their own community. Thus, instead of having a senate made up from nobles (e.g. an oligarchy) you would end up with a senate made up from clergy. However, as the republic grows and is threaten from all sides each senator, therefore each religious sect would acquire one more responsibility-the duty of supplying different resource. By the end of his life Kamen manages to create a system where dozen or so religious communities each have different economic function for the country. For example, the Bogomils being the most prominent community excel in agriculture and medicine, so the feeding of the populace and the construction of hospitals are given to them. Paulicheans form the backbone of the legions, the descendants of the Pecheneges form the cavalry and are responcible for animal husbandry. His own sect mans the growing iron industry and starts the mechanisation of the economy. There are some other minor sects which govern things like post services, glass, leather and cotton manufacture and other are specialised in forestry and fishery. The economic system of the republic is nothing like what we know today! This is the uniqueness of the timeline. If you change the outcome of the struggle between the major branches of Christianity and the heretics, you might have ended up with a society so different than what we have today, you couldn't even recognise it! The prominent herecies of the Medieval ages were opposed to feudal relations and in their own specific ways-to the idea of concentration of power at the hands of the aristocracy. The Bogomilism was particularly vocal about the need to stop obeying to the aristocracy and treat people on their spiritual merits, not upon their birth rights. Imagine what kind of society could these heretics build if they had the chance to get a proper leader at a suitable moment in history. As we know from our own timeline when the reformation happened suddenly those regions where the protestants had the upper hand became much richer and technologically more advanced than the regions where they didn't had it. It is a fact of history that regions who managed to escape the clutches of the church prospered more than those who didn't. But never was the threat of the church entirely removed until few centuries later, until the enlightenment.

Who determines what sects do what? How will you keep each sect doing what they were appointed to and not what is more profitable (read improve their lives the most)? What about the fact that productivity for most of these 'industries' is crap. You have about 2 million people to work with and I don't think that is enough for an effective division of labor to allow for an economy more advanced than a guild economy for many of the reasons I stated earlier

No imagine a timeline where one of the most distinct and self-sustaining trends in society is precisely the authority of the Soul over the authority of the blood. Imagine a society where the religious norm is to be judged not by the history of your bloodline, but by the contents of your character, where the leading social institutions aren't family power houses but religious groups. The world of Kamen is a world where he eventually gives up his power to a senate comprised of representatives of different Christian denominations, not houses of power, The goal of his life isn't to be a Roman style republic where one family contests power with others, nor a modern style republic where one is chosen by the lump of people randomly living in certain area and the number of seats is determined by the number of people in each constituency. In the Kamen's senate the number of representatives is decided by the produce they provide and their respective roles to others. That is the numbers of steel mills' senators depend on iron manufacture and the need for iron in the society. The representatives of all other industries assemble on senate meeting to decide how many seats the steel workers need to have on the senate (I'm even thinking of Kamen dropping the name senate at all shortly before he dies but don't know what else to replace it with to sound meaningful). Than they do the same for the agriculture seats, the clothing seats, the legionaries and so on. When a motion needs to pass it is contested against other motions and the one who has the most votes wins. In this system different RELIGIOUS groups, not capitalist enterprises, not bloodlines, not even guilds supply the manpower to different industries and in return they can increase the number of seats they have on the senate if more people consider their produce to useful compared to other religious groups! Can you wrap your mind around such a system?

Your proposed economic system is basically a guild/distributionist model with central planning based on a syndicatist electorate and a theocracy drapping over the back. It's weird and I doubt Kamen can set it up in his life time and if he does it will not sustain past his life. Kamen will always be at least a dictator in all but name. If you have read the excellent TL Male Rising Your Kamen will be a Paulo Abacar figure. If he wan't anything to sustain he is better off becoming an enlightened despot of sort and co-opting the current institutions. Hell he could even make a bid for Byzantine emperor.

Do you think it can lead to successful medieval industrialisation?

I think it can because the factor driving the production is the contestants of faith and therefore social organization, not market forces and it makes for one hell of an efficient system at the medieval times. I also think labour is not cheap within the confines of such a system because it's build by HERETICS-people who don't oblige by the dogma of the church and are internally poised to view it as an abomination of the true faith. Such people would care and cherish about the human life and will be opposed to exploitation because for them it's a matter of fait to do so. So, in the same manner the development of produce good for the people will be a matter of fait, too. And it would be fait, not money, driving the industrialisation. can you imagine how different would such a society turn out to be compared to our modern one?

Yeah, just because labor is expense that does not mean productivity instantly follows. In some cases it just makes life more expensive. In Fact the Guilds of this era made their living on the fact that they were expensive and could not be easily replaced. Guildmen colluded to ensure their wouldn't be more craftsman so they could charge more, and jealously guarded their innovations to ensure they would come out on top. They did not encourage innovation and were some of the biggest opponents to industrialization.

Look If you want to write this story it could be a good story, but if you want to write good alternate history you need to seriously consider the institutions and trends of the time. Time is not set pivotal events can happen that can change the course of history, but those trends create the events that are leveraged. A great man can change the world, but only if they are using what pressures already exist to their advantage. I don't care if Kamen is basically Augustius-Napolean-Lennin, he still has to deal with the world as is, and make compromises to overcome it.

Status
Not open for further replies.