The Ashes of the 26th the Post-Doomsday timeline

The Ashes of the 26th

This is my first timeline. So be gentle. Please comment.

Cold-War-Map.jpg

Map of the World Pre Purge

September 14th 1983 Col. Stanislaw Petrov is relived of duty by Col. Ivan Akrimanov at the Serpukhov-15 bunker near Moscow, which monitors for a US missile attack on the Soviet Union. He is reassigned to a bunker near Brest.

stanislav_petrov2.jpg

The Only known picture of Col.,and later General, and Duke Stanislav Petrov

The Serpukhov-15 bunker's computers indicate that a US missile is heading toward the Soviet Union. At first, Akrimanov reasons that a computer error has occurred, since it is only one missile and it doesn't make sense that the US would launch one single missile in an attack. Questions about the reliability of the satellite detection system have been raised in the past, so he dismisses the warning as a false alarm, concluding that there was no actual missile.
Very shortly though, the computers indicate that a second missile has been launched, then a third, a fourth and and then a fifth. Akrimanov, a faithful reader of "Pravda", where he had read much of the "warmongering of the American President Regan", now feels as that the attack was real. He telephones the headquarters of the Strategic Rocket Forces and tells them that his computers show that a massive US attack is underway.
Yuri Andropov is awakened by his staff and rushed to an evacuation helicopter standing by outside the Kremlin. He is evacuated along with key members of the Politburo and their families. On the way he is informed by the generals that they have "reliable intel" that the Americans are launching a first-strike at the Soviet Union. They recommend a full retaliatory strike. Andropov, frail and stunned by the news, nods and gives the launch codes to the SRF commanders.

b0042023_4920714c7949a.jpg

Yuri Andropov

A couple of minutes later, at over 300 missile bunkers, a fateful order is given…launch everything. Nearly 1100 Soviet ICBMs in staggered order are launched at the United States, American bases in Europe and other NATO and allied Nations, and in a plan never publicly revealed, at the People's Republic of China(who is believed to be involved in the Capitalist attack). At NORAD launch detection satellites detect the launch from the Soviet Union. It is apparently a Soviet FIRST-strike and President Reagan and his cabinet (and families) are immediately awoken and rushed to "Marine-1 and 2", to be evacuated to a Air Force 1 to be evacuated to a military bunker. En route, the President is informed by Secretary of Defense Weinberger and the NORAD generals that the launch is confirmed and that it was total. Reagan gives the launch codes and orders a full retaliatory strike with everything they got.

reagan-pic.jpg

President Reagan

As Andropov's helicopter is reaches the Kremlin's evacuation bunker forty miles outside of Moscow, he receives a chilling report. The first "projected" missile has reached its target in Murmansk....but no detonation has occurred. Quickly checking, Soviet generals discover that the first targets that were supposed to have been destroyed minutes earlier, showed no incoming warheads and no detonation. Andropov suffers a massive stroke and dies as he realized he has just started World War III on a false alarm. A minute later the first Soviet missiles detonates in Beijing, China, followed quickly by one at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska. over a period of nearly two hours, a estimated 5000 nuclear weapons detonate all across the World. NATO commanders are ordered to immediately launch tactical Pershing-I missiles at Soviet tank yards, and Warsaw Pact commanders respond with the launch of their Pioneer missiles.
China, caught by surprise by the Soviet attack, able to launch 85% of their weapons at the USSR. Most Chinese missiles struck cities and military bases that have already been destroyed by American missiles and bombers. They also launch their missiles at India (deemed to be assisting the USSR). In retaliation India launches it nukes at Iran, Pakistan, and China.
Neither American, Soviet, and other Allied citizens, nor other non-combatants, received significant advance warning of the attack. Some major cities did issue alerts and, while local mayors and fire chiefs were scrambling to initiate disaster protocols, they were either destroyed or damaged in the attack.

611718-nuke_super.jpg

A recreation of a nuke going off in the city of New York

EMP’s from airbursted weapons destroy some 75% of the electronics across the world. Most radios, televisions, telephones systems, and computers were rendered useless.
The initial death toll following the first hours of conflict was estimated at 2 billion people...from the United States and Canada, to Cuba, across the Atlantic to the United Kingdom, Western and Eastern Europe, the Soviet Union, China, Japan, Korea Australia, India, Pakistan, Iran, and various Central and Southern American states.
At day's end, a black pall of smoke, dust, and radioactive ash covered most the world. The event becomes known to the histories as the Great Purge, or Doomsday.

Map of the places hit by Nuclear weapons

Ashes of the 26th confirmed hits.png

Last edited:
Looks like the map of the Wikia 1983: Doomsday TL. With more nuked targets to get rid of a relatively safe haven in the Southern Hemisphere. That's going to suck.

Well, it is definitely worse for South America and Australia than in the "Doomsday 1983" TL that I read and loved...

But All of South East Asia survived with only Jakarta struck, so Thailand and Vietnam are the most powerful countries in the world :D

All of African except for the Union of SA were free... according to the Cliches, Africa will fall into disorganized tribalism because of the Nuclear Winter :rolleyes:, but I think some of the more stable countries like Botswana, Kenya, and Ghana will be okay.

Wait, you nuked Thunder Bay and Fredericton but not Hamilton? I'm pretty sure Hamilton's steel mills were higher on the list than Toronto.

Dr. Nodelescu: very good observation. 1983 Doomsday, along with the A Canticle for Leibowitz (hopefull without the catholic undertones),and Warday (to a lesser extent) served a influences to the timeline.

Cylon_Number_14: In the immediate yes they are powerful. but ultimatly they will collapse. As for Kenya, Zanizbar, Ghana they will survive and become trade empires.

Orville_third: missed thoose. my bad.

Beedok: It did I just couldn't show that on the map because it is to close to toronto

expect the next update in a couple of days

Nice epic start. And while I like the map, it's obvious to me that you can't put dots on every nuclear target in the world...or did you? Did some missile miss and/or not work? I heard that after the fall of the USSR, it was shown that many of the soviet missiles wouldn't have worked.

Was Fredericton an errant missile meant to hit Loring Air Force Base in northern Maine? Loring not only had bombers but also a back-up underground command post. With it in operation post-strike, the USSR map would like a really bad measles outbreak. Also Omaha/Offutt AFB (rail, communications center, SAC hq) would have gotten five to eight warheads.

And why waste good nukes on anything in South America?

Was Fredericton an errant missile meant to hit Loring Air Force Base in northern Maine? Loring not only had bombers but also a back-up underground command post. With it in operation post-strike, the USSR map would like a really bad measles outbreak. Also Omaha/Offutt AFB (rail, communications center, SAC hq) would have gotten five to eight warheads.

And why waste good nukes on anything in South America?

1: yes the Fredericton nukes was meant for Loring air base, but the base for the most part was made useless by EMPs. M
2: must have missed that base my bad
3: because those south american countries where allied US.

Glen

Seems like an audacious start! However, your POD puts this solidly in the AH after 1900 category, not Future History, so I shall move it.

1) I'm far enough outside of Toronto in 1983 that I'm probably still alive. That's good.
2) You missed Pretoria, Johannesburg and Durban, which when combined with the mines and the fact you did hit Cape Town, means the Afrikaners are gonna be able to rule most of Africa south of the Congo in a few years.
3) Alice Springs almost certainly woulda been blasted.
4) Reagan woulda smoked Tripoli just to get Gaddafi.
5) The PRC woulda blown up Taipei in such a war.
6) No hits for Cairo, Riyadh, Calgary, Edmonton, Luanda, Darwin, Nairobi, Harare, Caracas, Brisbane, Wellington, Maputo, Belo Horizonte, Belem, Cordoba, Kingston or Hawaii's main islands. I can see these somewhat, I mean one has to have some survivors and these aren't all necessary cities......

Seems like an audacious start! However, your POD puts this solidly in the AH after 1900 category, not Future History, so I shall move it.

The only problem with that is the Timeline is mostly set in the future and is slated to go till 2800-3100 AD.

Also Emperor Norton: :p that is so awesome

Some of the place in africa surived due to falty missiles (Alice springs,tripoli,etc) or because they were netural (cario, It is a miracle that Egypt survived untouched). All of this will be touched upon in the next update

The Aftermath

The aftermath of the war proved devastating. Besides the initial death toll, the subsequent mortality rates due to fall-out, out-of-control fires, starvation, dehydration, and unchecked disease add another 900 million lost, across the world . The predictions of a "nuclear winter occured. A estimated 20°F drop occurred in the first week . The dust cover blocked out the sun for several weeks. The nuclear winter lead to deaths of many animals and various crops, in the habitable zone. The most affected by this was the continent of Africa which went into a massive drought. Vast areas of North America, most of Europe, much of the Soviet Union, many parts of China, Most of India and Pakistan, and many part of South America and Australia are uninhabitable.

10198_5_Sky%20dam4%20big.jpg

the city of Kolkata after being discovered by Burma
Radiation levels dropped with the predicted two weeks fall-out pattern, but irradiated regions and areas where toxic chemicals have been spilled remain lethal to humans. Several nuclear reactors in the US, Europe, and the Soviet Union experience critical meltdowns and explode, releasing additional radiation into the atmosphere Death tolls keep rising. By March 1984, the population of the United States dropped to 30 million people, almost 2/10 the pre-Doomsday level. The story was similar in the rest of the world, with Great Britain's population reduced to numbers not seen since the Norman Conquest in 1066 AD. The war had destroyed all of the world powers. The only nations that retained any power were Thailand, Burma, Malaysia, Vietnam, Egypt, Kenya, and Ghana. Not even their survival was guaranteed.

ROLAND_Nuclear_Winter.jpg

A survivor in Vietnam-PRC border

Civil unrest ripped apart the various nations that survived. As refugees tried desperately to escape the war zones. The Swiss and the Austrians were forced to unite against the refugees but only after the cities of Innsbruck and lienchtstien were overrun.

3349263.jpg

Austrian troops reentering a destoryed Innsbruck

US tried to establish a rump government great plans basing it capital in Helena, Montana. The government was decently successful in restoring order in Montana till the Idaho tribes attacked a ravaged the area. The government collapsed in within days of the event the US was dead along with president Reagan, and vice president Bush.

BaghdadBurning.jpg

Burning of Helena
The next event to occur that made things worse was the simplification many people began to blame governments and society as for their woes and began to lashed out against their governments. Between the nuclear winter, radiation, famine, and simplification only local governments survived. But there was hope various small states, and city states had survived. From the Ashes of the 26th a new chapter had begun a new beginning for humanity.

For the next couple of updates I will be focusing on the devolpment of various regions. I will focus on each region looking into its history (in 50 year periods). I will occasionally stop for key events or people that are vital for the whole timeline. So with that the next update is

The West Coast of North America 1983-2050

I didn't think Auckland (or Wellington) were ever targets for nuclear missile attack by the Eastern Bloc, although I am not certain about that. Does anyone have a list?