The Anglo-Saxon Social Model - The Expanded Universe

Hoping the Expanded Universe is still expanding. Always so many good things to read.
Yes, it does seem to have slipped into a steady state model while I'm focusing on The Empire Parnell Built for now. I do have a few more ideas and will hopefully return to this soonish. It's nice to know there are still people bothered tbh so let me know if there's anything you'd be specifically interested in seeing more of.

Hey; I am curious as to regards of what territory is Aden.

Is Aden all of the "South Yemen strip" shown on the map?

Does it include Socrata?

You compared Aden to Las Vegas, but could it also be compared to Macau or Dubai as well given it has a coastline and port; likely having more population and diverse economic sources?

Hey; I am curious as to regards of what territory is Aden.

Is Aden all of the "South Yemen strip" shown on the map?

Does it include Socrata?

You compared Aden to Las Vegas, but could it also be compared to Macau or Dubai as well given it has a coastline and port; likely having more population and diverse economic sources?
Yes, Aden is all of that strip on the Yemeni coast. It does include Socotra (and the rest of that archipelago) which has a minor naval base on it.

The reason I thought of Las Vegas is that I imagined Aden as a basically a big party town and a place where Pakistanis on stag weekends can go to get away from some of the social conservatism of their country. OTL Dubai and Macau would be good comparisons too though.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post here that I've started a new timeline which starts from roughly the same POD (i.e. successful Home Rule in the 1880s) but splits off in a different direction. I've been doing it for three months and, because work is pretty light right now, I've been doing daily updates. It's a bit more bare-bones than the original Anglo-Saxon Social Model: mostly being election and conflict infoboxes. But I'm enjoying it for now and I think it's focusing pleasingly on Latin America in a way that a lot of TL's (including my ones) often don't.

I just thought I'd mention it because it turns out a few people who liked my work here didn't know about it until recently so here's a general advert for any stragglers.

The languages of the Commonwealth of Nations are languages used by people within the member states of the Commonwealth of Nations.

The Commonwealth has 33 official languages across its 18 member states, of which one (English) has been designated the “Official Procedural Language” and the remaining 32 are classed as “Official Regional Languages.” English is therefore used as the primary language of Commonwealth institutions and there is an assumption that all Commonwealth-related meetings will take place in English unless otherwise agreed. In practice, English is also the language of government and commerce in all of the Commonwealth member states. The Official Regional Languages have a special status within the Commonwealth, with all Commonwealth laws, regulation and judicial decisions being required to be translated into each language and translators for each language being available at Commonwealth events and institutions.

The actual use and spread of the Official Regional Languages varies greatly, with Palauan being spoken by fewer than 20,000 people whereas Urdu and Punjabi, each with over 100,000,000 speakers, are the Commonwealth’s de facto second and third languages. The most widely spoken language in the Commonwealth is English, which is understood by 95% of all adults. Nevertheless, the Commonwealth encourages its citizens to be multilingual and speak two languages in addition to their native language. A number of Commonwealth funding programs actively promote language learning and linguistic diversity. Furthermore, a variety of smaller regional languages and dialects receive differing degrees of official protection without receiving the status of an Official Regional Language.

However, while the Commonwealth actively promotes the use of the regional languages, actual figures for each language’s use can be unreliable. Many people contend that figures given are artificially inflated by regional governments. Furthermore, many contend that actual use of the language is virtually non-existent, with people who never speak it outside of school being classed as "bilingual speakers." Some critics and Anglosceptics argue that certain of the regional languages are functionally extinct and kept alive only by Commonwealth largess. Defenders of the Commonwealth’s language policy argue back that such arguments are often tinged by a degree of Anglo-chavanism and do not appreciate the Commonwealth’s linguistic and ethnic melting pot.

View attachment 522176
View attachment 522177
Scots isn't on there. Does that mean it's considered a dialect of English TTL, or is there simply not enough speakers to qualify it for official status?

Scots isn't on there. Does that mean it's considered a dialect of English TTL, or is there simply not enough speakers to qualify it for official status?
Bit of both. At a devolved level there is some support for Scots but mostly it's considered too small to count on a Commonwealth-level. It's also a good illustration of the inconsistency of the Commonwealth's language laws: there are some pretty tiny languages there (in terms of how many speak them) but they all have a constituency which is ready to fight for them (or the subsidies the status of Official Regional Language grants them) to a level that Scots just doesn't have.

Even with the more advanced state of technology ITTL, I highly doubt electrical aircraft would become practical so soon. The main issue is that electrical power has less energy density than fossil fuels, so you have to build some very heavy batteries. To quote Wikipedia:
In 2018 the specific energy of electricity storage was still only 2% of aviation fuel. This 1:50 ratio makes electric propulsion impractical for long-range aircraft, as a 500 nmi (930 km) mission for an all-electric, 12-passenger aircraft would require a six-fold increase in battery power density. As of 2019, the best Li-ion batteries achieved 250-300 Wh/kg, sufficient for a small aircraft, while a regional airliner would have needed a 500 Wh/kg battery pack and an Airbus A320-sized single-aisle would need 2 kWh/kg.

Even with the more advanced state of technology ITTL, I highly doubt electrical aircraft would become practical so soon. The main issue is that electrical power has less energy density than fossil fuels, so you have to build some very heavy batteries. To quote Wikipedia:
You're probably right (1983 specifically a bit too early with hindsight).

What I would say in my defence is that this is a world where research into carbon neutral technologies is roughly 40 years ahead of OTL so with projected advances in nuclear and solar batteries it's perhaps not wholly insane, I don't think. Bear in mind, by now TTL they're also cloning mammoths and sending manned missions to Saturn's moons...

This is terrific stuff. Puts some of my ideas to shame, particularly how in-depth you’ve gotten. I may have to do something similar for CdM once it gets far enough into the future to warrant pop culture references. I’ll be reading ASSM in full next!

This is terrific stuff. Puts some of my ideas to shame, particularly how in-depth you’ve gotten. I may have to do something similar for CdM once it gets far enough into the future to warrant pop culture references. I’ll be reading ASSM in full next!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. At least now if you're reading the main TL and ever wonder who won the World Series that you then you can easily find out... I found some of my notes for ASSM recently and it's actually astonishing how much I had that I just didn't use.

(I'm enjoying CdM too btw, but I always find myself dipping in and out of such enormous TLs so I've been a bit slow...)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. At least now if you're reading the main TL and ever wonder who won the World Series that you then you can easily find out... I found some of my notes for ASSM recently and it's actually astonishing how much I had that I just didn't use.

(I'm enjoying CdM too btw, but I always find myself dipping in and out of such enormous TLs so I've been a bit slow...)
I typically also only use maybe 70% of what I come up with, if even that. An EU is a novel idea for everything left “on the cutting room floor” and I think doing one myself may be wise for people who don’t want to do the full slog lol

You're probably right (1983 specifically a bit too early with hindsight).

What I would say in my defence is that this is a world where research into carbon neutral technologies is roughly 40 years ahead of OTL so with projected advances in nuclear and solar batteries it's perhaps not wholly insane, I don't think. Bear in mind, by now TTL they're also cloning mammoths and sending manned missions to Saturn's moons...
IMHO, I think that small short-haul commuter aircraft would be the first to go electric, followed by larger regional airliners, then short/medium haul mainline aircraft, then long-range liners.
EDIT: Also, I think hybrid electric aircraft would be used as a stepping stone between fossil fuel-powered planes and electric planes.

Last edited: