The Anglo-Saxon Social Model - The Expanded Universe

Television: Smiley's People
Thanks to everyone who bore with me as the Marvel Studios update got a little out of hand. I've got a few more film/tv shows which I hope to finish up this week.

Now for a change of pace.

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 11.15.34.png

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 11.15.48.png

Interesting series- a bit of a TV Bond or less OTT?

Did Morse get made ITTL?
I bet there is a The Bill equivalent - possibly a version in each Commonwealth country, with occasional crossovers esp at things like Commonwealth games.

Good list of Alt!Doctors there. Was the gap from 1992 to 1995 for any particular reason?

Did the show bounce around between Commonwealth countries in terms of setting?

Standouts:
Peter Cushing- gravitas and stately come to mind
Ian McKellen - long tenure there, would certainly raise his profile
Art Malik - nice change of direction there from McKellen
Judi Dench- another twist casting
Lenny Henry- Hooray!

Good list of Alt!Doctors there. Was the gap from 1992 to 1995 for any particular reason?

Did the show bounce around between Commonwealth countries in terms of setting?

The idea with the 1992-1995 gap is that audiences and producers got increasingly disenchanted with the dark tone of the Malik and later McKellen years and briefly cancelled the show and had a soft-relaunch a few years later. Not all that different from what went down 1989-2005 OTL, although obviously much shorter.

In terms of the the companion, I definitely think their origins would bounce around the Commonwealth quite a bit.

Thinking about comic books, does this universe have specifically British/Commonwealth superheroes as created by British comic books? So an analogue of Captain Britain for instance, but as a product of a British comic book operation?

Thinking about comic books, does this universe have specifically British/Commonwealth superheroes as created by British comic books? So an analogue of Captain Britain for instance, but as a product of a British comic book operation?

An interesting question. I think the answer is that the 2000AD movies have probably upped their sales a bit. But I don't particularly foresee a series of American-style superheroes being developed by British companies.

An interesting question. I think the answer is that the 2000AD movies have probably upped their sales a bit. But I don't particularly foresee a series of American-style superheroes being developed by British companies.

Oddly I think it is possible that UK Superheroes are a thing- the American comics did sell in the UK during WWII, and into the 60's onwards. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man etc all have brand recognition here, and Marvel UK was a decently sized operation in the 80's and 90's. Beano, Whizzer and Chips, Warlord etc all had Superhero type figures- Eagle's Dan Dare from the 50's is an example (if more on a Biggles line), or Bananaman from 1980 or Marvelman from 1954 etc

ITTL, I could see companies like Marvel and DC producing localised Heroes and crossovers simply because the Commonwealth is too big a market to ignore. I am partly surprised a Captain Britain or Captain Commonwealth was not in the AltMCU. If they do not, then UK companies will certainly pick up the demand for escapist Superhero style tales.

In this Universe it is possible Judge Dredd is not about Mega City One in America, but a dark parody of a future Australia, or a UK covered in one endless City...

image-asset.jpeg

Oddly I think it is possible that UK Superheroes are a thing- the American comics did sell in the UK during WWII, and into the 60's onwards. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man etc all have brand recognition here, and Marvel UK was a decently sized operation in the 80's and 90's. Beano, Whizzer and Chips, Warlord etc all had Superhero type figures- Eagle's Dan Dare from the 50's is an example (if more on a Biggles line), or Bananaman from 1980 or Marvelman from 1954 etc

ITTL, I could see companies like Marvel and DC producing localised Heroes and crossovers simply because the Commonwealth is too big a market to ignore. I am partly surprised a Captain Britain or Captain Commonwealth was not in the AltMCU. If they do not, then UK companies will certainly pick up the demand for escapist Superhero style tales.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that there isn't a local British/Commonwealth comics industry. Your point about something like Dan Dare or Warlord developing in a more classically super heroic direction is an interesting one and definitely foreseeable. My point was more that I don't see them being around to challenge the American heroes in terms of popularity around the Commonwealth.

Certainly Marvel UK will still be around and producing UK and Commonwealth-based heroes (in particular Alan Moore's Captain Britain run - which I think is some of his best work even if it gets forgotten a lot nowadays - still happens). I could also see that the legal disputes around Marvelman/Miracleman being butterflied away or solved sooner and him being integrated into the full 616 universe, perhaps in a similar role to that later occupied by the Sentry OTL.

As for British heroes in TTL's MCU, I did have earlier drafts which featured two or three Excalibur movies but they ended up getting cut. I've been going back and forth on the members of the Illuminati in the tv shows and movies to be released in the next couple of years and am currently happy with this:
  • Mr Fantastic
  • Iron Man
  • Captain Britain
  • Shadowcat
  • Dr Doom
  • Black Panther
So there's some representation there...

In this Universe it is possible Judge Dredd is not about Mega City One in America, but a dark parody of a future Australia, or a UK covered in one endless City...

Oh definitely.

Is WH40K having that endless Horus Heressy's literary saga going on in this TTL too?

Not quite. See tomorrow for an update on this.

Firstly, I can't help but feel that you have created a series of intracat economic changes to boost the average persons Disposable income, then got rid of it all by increase the size of games Workshop (!)

Secondly, I like this now Horus Hersey TV show a lot! Are the Primarch different here? Do we have female legions?