The Anglo-Saxon Social Model - The Expanded Universe

He does more stuff in the vein of Thomas Crown Affair and has a career a bit like a more handsome Liam Neeson.... His performance of Hamlet at the National Theatre in 1995 is still highly spoken-of.

Yes and no. The films are definitely far more auteurish in the sense that each new actor very clearly brings a new style (and, more recently, director) so there's even less of a pretence of continuity. (Yen's films, for example, introduced a completely new, all-Asian, cast and was based out of Hong Kong, not London.) That being said, I don't think any films have had a "you're the new James Bond" scene or whatever...
hmm so he is on the 25th series of Remmington Steele?

I like the idea of Alan Turing's company being called 'Turing' rather than Apple - would give the great man a little more compensation ITTL! Perhaps also allowing 'Apple Music' to stay completely associated with the Beatles. And in recognition of the city of Manchester's role in the early days of computing, perhaps 'Turing' would eventually produce the iManc? Sorry, I'll get my coat...

You’re a disgrace...

seriously though, the idea behind calling Turing’s company Apple is the urban legend that OTL’s Apple’s name was inspired by the apple with a single bite taken out of it he left behind after he died.

@Rattigan If you are still doing requests for entries then I would not mind knowing more about the Great Liners, and shipping in general please?

Do we get std containers in the 20/30's?
Welding over riveting?
Did Cunard and White Star merge or did both survive?
What happened to the Yards like Swan Hunter or Harland and Wolff?
Shipbuilding in Commonwealth?
Cruising
Etc...
Please tell me in this left/Liberal time line that England also have a really sucessful (like OTL) women's cricket and rugby union teams

Will put these on the list. Sorry for the inactivity recently but I’ve been working in the Navajo Nation for a few weeks and so haven’t really had reliable internet access. Usual service will resume shortly

United Kingdom: Sinking of the RMS Queen Mary (1939)
RMS Queen Mary.PNG

Thank you for the Queen Mary update there @Rattigan

If she is near the Isle of Wright Queen Mary got the Ribband as she was past Bishop's Rock. A terrible consolation prize. Wonder if the 'official' competition stopped in respect afterwards?

Given the amount of damage the OTL Queen Mary would need to sustain to sink this fast, I can only imagine that without a Titanic disaster ITTL then shipbuilding standards are more lax than OTL, hence the fast sinking. Still surprised the Triton made it back to Portsmouth at all! Least they could of done is send out an SOS- the Channel is the worlds busiest shipping lane even then, chances are many more could have been saved given Queen Mary was only 12 miles from shore.

Wonder if Queen Mary's wreck is a protected grave given she is in national waters?

Good to read the Oceanic made it. Lets hope she ended up as a Museum ship somewhere.

Fascinating. So, while Jurassic Park might fail, the concept of de-extinction safari parks continues on, but with more manageable species.
The release of de-extinct animals around the world would be the next logical step, as there is a laundry list of animals that fall under the category of "oops, we killed it".
I imagine that there would be a degree of controversy whenever de-extinct predators are mentioned, similar to the discussions on the reintroduction of wolves and lynxes in Great Britain.
What is the difference between the CIS and the USSR?

Fascinating. So, while Jurassic Park might fail, the concept of de-extinction safari parks continues on, but with more manageable species.
The release of de-extinct animals around the world would be the next logical step, as there is a laundry list of animals that fall under the category of "oops, we killed it".
I imagine that there would be a degree of controversy whenever de-extinct predators are mentioned, similar to the discussions on the reintroduction of wolves and lynxes in Great Britain.

There were a lot of safety concerns about the de-extinct animals at the time and the program was certainly controversial, especially after it emerged that these animals would be capable of breeding. There was also significant environmentalist pushback at the time of the openings of the two parks and an active debate among philosophers and biologists as to whether the resurrected animals are actually continuations of the extinct species or some strong clone freak things.

What is the difference between the CIS and the USSR?

It's technically a different country but heavily under the thumb of the Soviets.

No one has brought back the Dodo yet?

Supposed to be good eating on them birds!

The Mauritian government were one of the first on the phone after the Institute started to contract to work with specific foreign governments. I'm afraid that Dodos aren't actually that tasty and don't really serve any purpose other than decoration. Doubtless plenty of visitors to the island love to see one of them waddle past on the beach though.

Last edited:
The Mauritian government were one of the first on the phone after the Institute started to contract to work with specific foreign governments. Dodos aren't actually that tasty and don't really serve any purpose other than decoration. Doubtless plenty of visitors to the island love to see one of them waddle past on the beach too.

There are some plants that have suffered since the extinction of the dodo, IIRC. The reintroduction of the dodo might help them thrive again.

I utterly missed the Dodo on the list!

D'oh!

I thought the Dodo went extinct cos it tasted so good it was hunted to extinction?

I was under the impression that dodos went extinct because they lived on an island with no large predators and so didn't run away when hunted by humans.

I utterly missed the Dodo on the list!

D'oh!

I thought the Dodo went extinct cos it tasted so good it was hunted to extinction?
I was under the impression that dodos went extinct because they lived on an island with no large predators and so didn't run away when hunted by humans.

That and the introduction by sailors of invasive species like rats and dogs. I also understand that some people already think it was limited to small parts of the island anyway by the time humans arrived.

where is the smilodon

I did think about the smilodon but rejected it for a couple of reasons:
  1. Prehistoric Park is meant to be a game reserve containing a living ecosystem, not a theme park or zoo so care was taken to try and introduce animals that would have interacted in the past. Hence, no smilodon in a European habitat.
  2. In America, the contract stipulated a maximum of three carnivorous mammals (for safety reasons) and the decision eventually came down to the American lion or a smilodon and they went with the former because it was deemed easier to produce (they'd already got the cave lion in Europe, after all).
  3. Originally the Argentinian government had contracted to get both smilodon and macrauchenia but eventually cancelled the order for the former because, while the cattle ranchers of the Pampas could handle the reintroduction of the latter, they really balked at the former.
  4. It's definitely one of those animals that's "on the docket" that the scientists would love to make (along with megatherium, the elephant bird, maybe an indricothere and a few others) but really it's mainly a scientific and environmental institution and so needs the right countries to come along and partner with them. That being said, the governments of Brazil and Madagascar are apparently interested...

Last edited: