The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Has their work with the Nazis made them into an outcast, or at least carries historical baggage ITTL?
Some baggage. Keep in mind that there isn't a country on the European Continent who didn't, to some degree, work with the Reich. Even Spain and Portugal did some trade.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
They did that only after the Nazis proceeded to raze Paris to the ground, and unleash biological plagues. The Nazis went from bad to demonic.
Not really.

Keep in mind that the Heer commander who surrendered Paris, General Dietrich von Choltitz, flatly stated that he had been ordered by Hitler to burn the city to the ground rather than surrender it to the WAllies. Choltitz stated that he refused the order because he believed that it was militarily futile, that Hitler had lost his mind, and that he had come to love Paris while he was in command. There is some debate regarding exactly how much of the city he saved, but there is no doubt that Hitler had ordered everything of historic and religious significance to be razed.

It is also interesting to note that, rather then escape the city, Choltitz decided to surrender to Free French forces before the advancing WAllied armies had reached the city, despite having 17,000 troops at his disposal and only lightly armed Free French Resistance forces blocking his escape. This makes sense if he had directly defied Hitler, especially in the wake of the July assassination attempt, since his life wouldn't have been worth a plugged nickel had he fallen into the hands of the Gestapo.

A relatively brief article on the decision to disobey the order: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...eneral-spared-Paris-by-disobeying-Fuhrer.html

One of the things about this entire T/L (before the addendum, which are much less rooted in any sort of serious research and are mainly for "reader service" and my own amusement) is that all the horrible things the Reich did ATL were based in either actual fact/known orders or in ongoing Nazi planning (e.g. GeneralPlan Ost). The Reich's leadership was demonic, all I did was take what they planned to a reasonable conclusion assuming the Nazis had a decade to decant their evil brew, and add in some gearwank.

I literally still have nightmares about some of the crap I read researching the T/L.

Last edited:
Not really.

Keep in mind that the Heer commander who surrendered Paris, General Dietrich von Choltitz, flatly stated that he had been ordered by Hitler to burn the city to the ground rather than surrender it to the WAllies. Choltitz stated that he refused the order because he believed that it was militarily futile, that Hitler had lost his mind, and that he had come to love Paris while he was in command. There is some debate regarding exactly how much of the city he saved, but there is no doubt that Hitler had ordered everything of historic and religious significance to be razed.

It is also interesting to note that, rather then escape the city, Choltitz decided to surrender to Free French forces before the advancing WAllied armies had reached the city, despite having 17,000 troops at his disposal and only lightly armed Free French Resistance forces blocking his escape. This makes sense if he had directly defied Hitler, especially in the wake of the July assassination attempt, since his life wouldn't have been worth a plugged nickel had he fallen into the hands of the Gestapo.

A relatively brief article on the decision to disobey the order: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...eneral-spared-Paris-by-disobeying-Fuhrer.html

Yeah, I read about Choltitz. But there are indications that he might be not be very truthful, or his sparing of Paris is not merely out of pure conscience like he claims.

One of the things about this entire T/L (before the addendum, which are much less rooted in any sort of serious research and are mainly for "reader service" and my own amusement) is that all the horrible things the Reich did ATL were based in either actual fact/known orders or in ongoing Nazi planning (e.g. GeneralPlan Ost). The Reich's leadership was demonic, all I did was take what they planned to a reasonable conclusion assuming the Nazis had a decade to decant their evil brew, and add in some gearwank.

I literally still have nightmares about some of the crap I read researching the T/L.

I'm writing my own Nazi story-one involving a Cold War with Nazi Germany, and it makes me thank God that the Nazis never got to rule Europe for more then a few years.

You know, I just realized that considering the state Poland ends up in this TL, it’s possible that the in-universe version of Polandball is a serious, pathos-filled work.

Well, yes and no.

TTL Poland in Polandball might be re-imagined as a hyper-militaristic, hyper-paranoid creature. This CAN be played for both laughs and drama.

"Remove sauerkraut," might be his catchphrase.

Well, yes and no.

TTL Poland in Polandball might be re-imagined as a hyper-militaristic, hyper-paranoid creature. This CAN be played for both laughs and drama.

"Remove sauerkraut," might be his catchphrase.
Well now I’m combining this with the “what would TTL people think of OTL” idea, and I’m trying to think of what TTL people would think of OTL Polandball. Most Poles would probably find it incredibly offensive, but beyond that I’m not sure. I wonder if they would take Germany’s Polandball behavior as a sign that they were right not to let Germany unite in their timeline: “He keeps threatening to hurt these poor countries if they don’t pay debts. Clearly still an Evil Threat To All Mankind.”

Well now I’m combining this with the “what would TTL people think of OTL” idea, and I’m trying to think of what TTL people would think of OTL Polandball. Most Poles would probably find it incredibly offensive, but beyond that I’m not sure. I wonder if they would take Germany’s Polandball behavior as a sign that they were right not to let Germany unite in their timeline: “He keeps threatening to hurt these poor countries if they don’t pay debts. Clearly still an Evil Threat To All Mankind.”

Well, Polandball is MEANT to be offensive, so...

I think the idea of Germany ruling Europe through finance and not genocidal conquest would fill TTL Polish people (and others) with cognitive dissonance.

What is the status of Native Americans ITTL. As Americans ITTL have a greater understanding of the horrors of racism, will they be more willing to provide compensation to Native Americans, and study their mistreatment during the 19th century.

Mostly as tear-maker. It will be about how poland has become that way, suffering through atrocities on that scale would make any country into that.

No doubt. The people of Poland see the world as cruel and unforgiving, and you must be ready to kill to survive. Even before the Nazis, their history consists of oppression and partition, with the Nazis taking that up to Eleven and then murdering all the Jews. You can forgive them for how they feel, because of the near destruction during the 20th century.

Samsara123

Banned
A question that I have wondered about, what happened to groups like the Ku Klux Klan or the americAn Nazi Party?

Also what is the standard kit for a modern AANW soldier

Tens of millions died under Mao’s rule in China.

How many have died under TTTL’s China?

I know the Cabal are supposed to be extremely effective administrators but if they really believe that wiping out every population in the world besides their own with bioweapons is a good idea in regard to their own prosperity then they are more ideologically insane than any other political group in history.

Even the Reich and ISIS have never gone as far as to desire the death of everyone on Earth but themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.