The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Does the A4 use something like napalm to keep the areas between the walls clear of life, and possibly flamethrowers in the inner walls to burn off anything close. The radiation that might be in the smoke/ash would be pretty minimal by now, and the heat of the fires will do in any microbial or viral forms. Things like nerve agents will also be destroyed like this, if they have not already degraded with time. You could even have helicopters dropping napalm further away from the inner wall. This sort of thing would need to go on fro some time, as while the brurning would destroy anthrax spores, any that are deep or "protected" under rubble will potentially survive, and who knows what buried bunkers have nastiness stored in them under conditions that might allow the biologicals especially to lie in wait for a containment breach.

IMHO I'd have some research facility up against the outer side of the third wall, totally sealed, positive pressure and accessed only by a sealed tunnel with several stages for entry/exit as well as multiple fail safe airlock systems segmenting it. The understanding would be if anything went wrong, any containment breach and all of the multiple airlocks would lock down, and a self destruct would activate - nobody leaves.
The idea of a sealed research facility is a good one, but the tech of the era wasn't quite up to it and the need to start construction was seen as a highest priority.

The patrol teams do carry flame throwers on the patrol vehicles and the checkpoints at the wall pass through points (which are man traps) all have a LAV with a larger flame unit and of course much larger fuel tank assigned. The goal of the security force is, of course, to catch the suicidal idiots on the way into the Dead Zone.

There is, as folks have noted, a huge conspiracy theory industry built around the Berlin and Nuremberg Zones, aided by the ATL version of the WWW. Apparently the Wall is actually meant to hold in monster lizards, snakes, rats the size of buffalo, etc. or even mutated humans/zombies. Other claim that there are anything from Space Aliens to to a reborn Nazi State in some sort of cave complexes below Berlin. This is despite the fact that every citizen of every German statelet is required, under both local law and international treaty to make a minimum of three "field trips" to the Zones (5th Grade, 9th Grade, and just before leaving Gymnasium) with the last two including trips up to the specifically built observation towers that "allow" everyone to see the moonscape with their own Mark 1, Mod 0 eyes. There is also a bizarre tourist industry that has sprung up related to the Wall, with well heeled tourists from not just the U.S. & Canada, but also from Mexico, Brazil and Argentina making the Wall a major stop on the "battlefield" tours that follow the course of their respective combat forces from the Final Phase.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Residual Radiation? I thought that both Berlin and Nuremberg were spared nuclear attacks?

Also, what ever happened the the threads for fiction based in the AANW TL
$#%@^

You are correct.

I have no idea what happened to the thread. I guess folks lost interest in it. There have been a few ASB threads related to the ATL (including one brief one by me).

Is there any significant 'landmarks' so to speak in Paris, Berlin and Nuremberg? (Alike to the Chernobyl's ferris wheel and power planet itself.)

Speaking about that, whatever happened to Hitler's tomb? Did the Polish Free army demolish it during the final battle or is it being allowed to gradually decay?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Is there any significant 'landmarks' so to speak in Paris, Berlin and Nuremberg? (Alike to the Chernobyl's ferris wheel and power planet itself.)

There are parts of the Reichstag and Brandenberg Gate still visible, among other landmarks.

Speaking about that, whatever happened to Hitler's tomb? Did the Polish Free army demolish it during the final battle or is it being allowed to gradually decay?

Several hundred pounds of Comp C took care of it very nicely, followed by some runs by Chieftain tanks over the rubble. The location is more or less indistinguishable from any of the surrounding area and the coordinates are not publicly known.

Several hundred pounds of Comp C took care of it very nicely, followed by some runs by Chieftain tanks over the rubble. The location is more or less indistinguishable from any of the surrounding area and the coordinates are not publicly known.

If I were in charge of dealing with Hitler's tomb, I would've kept it and built a dance hall above it so that people could literally dance on Hitler's grave.

There are parts of the Reichstag and Brandenberg Gate still visible, among other landmarks.

Imagine the competition to be the drivers of those Chieftain tanks, setting aside the whole having to be in Berlin thing. It wouldn't surprise me if the Polish troops, assuming there are any, who are part of the garrison manning the wall, didn't take some potshots at the coordinates, if they know where it is.

Last edited:
Berlin/Nuremberg sound like a great place to field robot systems. Power would be a problem until solar cells became available.

SsgtC

Banned
Berlin/Nuremberg sound like a great place to field robot systems. Power would be a problem until solar cells became available.
Not really. Once it enters the zone, it's not coming back out. So no way to inspect it after or recover data from it

Is it bad that I kinda want to see some tribes of feral descendants of hardcore Nazis in those zones waiting for the day when their fuhrer will return and once again led them to glorious conquests... perhaps that's the plot of some pulp FPS ITTL...

At one point I was tempted to make an ASB thread of what if all the hardcore neo-nazis from OTL 2010s ISOTed to those zones with their personal weapons and could they have resurrect the third reich to glory again and then I realize it would have been a mass death scenario (to some rather unsympathetic people, but still in bad taste), so I didn't.

Not having to pack the entire robot into a space that will fit the pointy end of a missile, before being launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida may help costs. In fact, the business need for the A4 military to be able to monitor the longer term effects of the weapons they deployed may make development of such robots occur sooner than OTL.

I swear, I had not expected this suggestion to be controversial.

SsgtC

Banned
Not having to pack the entire robot into a space that will fit the pointy end of a missile, before being launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida may help costs. In fact, the business need for the A4 military to be able to monitor the longer term effects of the weapons they deployed may make development of such robots occur sooner than OTL.

I swear, I had not expected this suggestion to be controversial.
It's not controversial. But it's going to be almost impossible to recover data in meaningful amounts for quite a while.

People try. Some even get past all three walls into the dead zone.

Twenty-seven have tried to get out. Two made it to the patrol zone between walls #2 & #1. All the remains were returned via unmanned tractor to the Dead Zone.

For the personnel on duty in each of the 27 cases it was a non-career enhancing event.

Wait sorry I misread, there are people INSIDE Berlin/Nuremberg still? That's a movie in itself for this universe, forget Escape from New York, bring on Escape from Berlin!

I’d hate to be one of the guys whse job it is to patrol the wall. Between the loneliness, the threat of gruesome death by disease and the knowledge of what happened there, I’d likely go mad with fear.

Wait sorry I misread, there are people INSIDE Berlin/Nuremberg still? That's a movie in itself for this universe, forget Escape from New York, bring on Escape from Berlin!
No, I think Calbear was referring to people stupid enough to try breaking into the cities after the exclusion zones were established, none of which made it back out again...

nbcman

Donor
@CalBear what would happen to anyone who was stupid enough to deny the Holocaust in this timeline?
He already answered it 3 years ago:

Not really.

Death penalty is for every special cases ATL, and very rarely implemented domestically.

Confinement, however, in fairly harsh conditions (Alcatraz is a reasonable example, one person cells, but not much in the way of privileges).

As far as Holocaust denial, anyone so proclaiming would be seen as utterly insane. The evidence of what the Reich did is so overwhelming that it can not be missed. Racism is also pretty much taboo. The Reich made it pretty clear where it can lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.