The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

What's the general mindset of your typical 20 something in the german statelets? Do they think the treatment of modern Germans is fair or is it more like "We had this coming, we deserve what we have"?
After Stettin, I think it was the latter.

They realize they were carrying the sins of their fathers.

After Stettin, I think it was the latter.

They realize they were carrying the sins of their fathers.
At least officially yeah. That said I assume there is a substantial under current of "curse the A4, why must we pay in blood for what Granddad did?"

Not that this is ever acted upon of course but it does mean the A4 can't let up their boot for fear history then repeats due to anger.

At least officially yeah. That said I assume there is a substantial under current of "curse the A4, why must we pay in blood for what Granddad did?"

Not that this is ever acted upon of course but it does mean the A4 can't let up their boot for fear history then repeats due to anger.
I think for the A4, it's rather they also feel that they could have saved more Jews, Slavs, and Gypsies had they acted sooner rather than later.

So the feeling of zero-tolerance is there.

I recall reading this section about the Allied retaliation for the Nazis decapitating the USSR with a chemical weapon strike, and I'm pretty sure the strange things it hinted at happening there was never revealed.
Viewed in a vacuum, the March 12, 1959, USAF nuclear strikes against the three suspected air bases that launched the Krasnoyarsk Raid is often seen as a rather severe case of over-bombing or of using a sledgehammer to kill a single ant. There would be a great deal of truth to this viewpoint if the reason for the strike was simply to eliminate a dozen Ju-688 bombers; in actuality the destruction of the bombers was simply a bonus (Although one of the Krasnoyarsk aircraft actually survived the war intact, having been on a recon mission at the time of the strikes, the Ju-688 force was eliminated by the strikes. Interested readers can now actually see this aircraft, tail number #8765692, in fully restored form, at the USAF Museum located at Wright Patterson AFB Ohio.).
The real reason for the strikes was well worth the expenditure of six 1.2 megaton bombs, even though this reason has only become clear in the last decade or so. While the USAF attack has long been seen as an Allied effort to show Russia that it was not forgotten this has now been clearly shown to not be the basis for the attack.

What was going on at those three airbases? My guess is they were storing some terribly potent secret bioweapon?

I recall reading this section about the Allied retaliation for the Nazis decapitating the USSR with a chemical weapon strike, and I'm pretty sure the strange things it hinted at happening there was never revealed.

What was going on at those three airbases? My guess is they were storing some terribly potent secret bioweapon?
I thought that the main reason for nuking those airbases was to prod Spain, Portugal and Turkey into joining the Allies?

@CalBear How does the liberation of the Philippines go in this TL as in on-time for October 1944? Would MacArthur still be in charge?

What happened to Formosa? Did Nimitz get his wish of getting that island?

@CalBear How does the liberation of the Philippines go in this TL as in on-time for October 1944? Would MacArthur still be in charge?

What happened to Formosa? Did Nimitz get his wish of getting that island?
I actually know the answer to one of these. Formosa became independent in this timeline per Calbear.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Nimitz didn't entirely get his way. WAllied took Luzon, jumped from there to Formosa. Then went down the Philippine Archipelago North - South. Pocketed the Japanese in the Northern Part of Leyte, and uses the region as a "live fire" training ground for newly arrived bomber wings and artillery units. Cut overall American losses by about 45% from OTL.

Formosa was also a good jumping off point for the Korean Peninsula.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I think for the A4, it's rather they also feel that they could have saved more Jews, Slavs, and Gypsies had they acted sooner rather than later.

So the feeling of zero-tolerance is there.
Pretty much.

It actually goes back to Munich, which stands out much more ATL than OTL. Everyone pretty much agrees that Munich was the pivot point for the entire War. Whether it is entirely correct doesn't much matter any longer. It is considered to absolute fact that if the democracies had packed the Czechs to the hilt it would have stopped Hitler then and there. Might even have gotten him couped (which is a vast misunderstanding of the Reich, but when historians look for pivot points they will always find them).

I actually know the answer to one of these. Formosa became independent in this timeline per Calbear.
I'd imagine Formosa here would be very different from the Taiwan of OTL. There would still be remnants of Japanese culture yes and possibly skyscrapers and microchip technologies.

Does the Cabal claim Formosa as part of it?
Nimitz didn't entirely get his way. WAllied took Luzon, jumped from there to Formosa. Then went down the Philippine Archipelago North - South. Pocketed the Japanese in the Northern Part of Leyte, and uses the region as a "live fire" training ground for newly arrived bomber wings and artillery units. Cut overall American losses by about 45% from OTL.

Formosa was also a good jumping off point for the Korean Peninsula.
Unlike in OTL when the Americans landed in Leyte in October 1944 and then Lingayen Gulf in early 1945.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Japan surrender in 1944 for this TL rather than 1945?
Pretty much.

It actually goes back to Munich, which stands out much more ATL than OTL. Everyone pretty much agrees that Munich was the pivot point for the entire War. Whether it is entirely correct doesn't much matter any longer. It is considered to absolute fact that if the democracies had packed the Czechs to the hilt it would have stopped Hitler then and there. Might even have gotten him couped (which is a vast misunderstanding of the Reich, but when historians look for pivot points they will always find them).
And that presents another possible alternate history within an alternate history.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I'd imagine Formosa here would be very different from the Taiwan of OTL. There would still be remnants of Japanese culture yes and possibly skyscrapers and microchip technologies.

Does the Cabal claim Formosa as part of it?

Unlike in OTL when the Americans landed in Leyte in October 1944 and then Lingayen Gulf in early 1945.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Japan surrender in 1944 for this TL rather than 1945?

And that presents another possible alternate history within an alternate history.
Gift that keeps on giving.

Cabal wants whole world... purged from all people who are not Han Chinese.
So basically megalomaniac version of North Korea? At least Pyongyang does not want to rid the world of non-DPRK citizens. The Kims just want to isolate themselves from the "capitalist bastards" and reunify with the South, nukes need be.
Did Rhee take power in Korea?
Not sure if I am suffering a Mandela Effect, but I did read that Rhee does take power. Again, anyone is free to correct me if I am wrong.

If memory serves me correct, Japan actually lasted to 1946, November sticks in my mind for some reason. They were basically starved out and it wasn't pretty. Calbear made some statements that basically said that Japanese society/civilization collapsed by the end. The Allied Occupation forces had a very high level of PTSD from dealing with the conditions on the ground in Japan after the surrender.

Last edited: