The Americans Stay Strong in St. Louis: The History of the St. Louis Americans of the NHL

Good to see this back!

O'Ree in OTL wasn't a star. Far from it he bounced between the NHL and the NHL's farm league at the time the EPHL (which started in 1958) before heading west to the WHL. Not saying he can't be a star ITTL just that whilst celebrated rightfully for what he did, he just wasn't the most skilled.

As for expansion, it was actually the threat of the WHL merging with the AHL which was a part of what finally convinced the NHL to expand. The fact that the NHL is already at 8 teams ITTL having relocated one (Amercs) and stolen one from the AHL (Barons), it might not feel as threatened by the WHL and a potential merger with the AHL since one of the NHL team owners also controls a AHL team. Instead I could see the NHL opening itself up to teams from the AHL or WHL that possibly want to join. Though in 1958, the WHL is an entirely Canadian league so wouldn't be putting a tonne of pressure on the NHL yet.

In the end though, it's your story so expansion could happen for any number of reasons that didn't cause it to in OTL. TV broadcasters, the collapse of teams or leagues, an owner that the league would really like to etc.

The one thing about the NHL expansion so far ITTL is that it expanded the league's footprint small. The next wave of expansion might look to be even more prominently out west then it was in OTL, maybe all 6 teams out west (if they do 6).
Problem is the league if it has all 6 teams out west, will leave some large East Coast markets open for the WHA.

Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Washington D.C

Good to see this back!

O'Ree in OTL wasn't a star. Far from it he bounced between the NHL and the NHL's farm league at the time the EPHL (which started in 1958) before heading west to the WHL. Not saying he can't be a star ITTL just that whilst celebrated rightfully for what he did, he just wasn't the most skilled.
O'Ree was skilled but given that Cleveland grabbed Sawchuk from St. Louis, this gave them some room to get O'Ree on his roster. He was offered to play in the WHL like OTL but was given a chance to play in the NHL and took it. He was a standout despite Cleveland being the underdogs mainly through the playoffs. O'Ree was perfect for the NHL as it will help them grow in the southern United States. Not sure how it will compare to OTL but at least O'Ree will be more recognized than OTL. The dominos are falling but slowly.

As for expansion, it was actually the threat of the WHL merging with the AHL which was a part of what finally convinced the NHL to expand. The fact that the NHL is already at 8 teams ITTL having relocated one (Amercs) and stolen one from the AHL (Barons), it might not feel as threatened by the WHL and a potential merger with the AHL since one of the NHL team owners also controls a AHL team. Instead I could see the NHL opening itself up to teams from the AHL or WHL that possibly want to join. Though in 1958, the WHL is an entirely Canadian league so wouldn't be putting a tonne of pressure on the NHL yet.
I am already toying with the idea of WHL teams just joining the NHL instead by the mid-1960s. Los Angeles Blades, Portland Buckaroos, Seattle Totems, Vancouver Canucks, San Francisco Seals joining the NHL from the WHL and giving the NHL one more city to add a team to the league. Not sure where yet if I go through with this idea but it is something.

In the end though, it's your story so expansion could happen for any number of reasons that didn't cause it to in OTL. TV broadcasters, the collapse of teams or leagues, an owner that the league would really like to etc.

The one thing about the NHL expansion so far ITTL is that it expanded the league's footprint small. The next wave of expansion might look to be even more prominently out west then it was in OTL, maybe all 6 teams out west (if they do 6).
Yep, anything can happen ITTL. But making them work is a challenge. Thanks for some ideas you gave me. Not sure when the next chapter is done, I need to get started on it soon. But I'm glad to be back working on stories again.

Chapter 7: Ebbie Retires. Enter Fred Hunt.
Chapter 7: Ebbie Retires. Enter Fred Hunt.​

With a rough season behind them. Coach Ebbie Goodfellow looked to try and save the sinking ship. However, Goodfellow knew he was getting tired. He was considering retiring after their championship run two years back. But was asked if he could coach a few more seasons. Despite already having Fred Hunt as their AHL team coach, management trusted Ebbie. But even he knew when his time is almost up. Before the season begin, Ebbie told Gussie Busch that he would retire and use this time to be with his family. Gussie, stunned by this, knew this would happen. The 1958-59 Season is Ebbie Goodfellow's last season as the coach of the St. Louis Americans.

While that was going on. Fred Hunt, who was looking to join the Amerks as head coach, was saddened to hear about Ebbie's retirement after the regular season. But was looking forward to taking over as the American's new coach. Not many changes happened to the Americans this season compared to the rest of the NHL. Closest to them was the Cleveland Barons who managed to keep their Stanley Cup-winning team. Chicago and Toronto made some shakeups this year. Which benefitted them to a playoff run this season.

NHL 1958-59 Regular Season:
Final Standings:

1. Cleveland Barons (Regular Season Champions)
  2. Chicago Blackhawks
  3. Montreal Canadians
  4. Toronto Maple Leafs
  5. St. Louis Americans
  6. Boston Bruins
  7. New York Rangers
  8. Detroit Red Wings

The season was a surprise for the league. For the first time in a long while, both Montreal and Detroit were not dominating the league. Montreal did make the playoffs despite dealing with Maurice Richard dealing with injuries from last season. Canadiens goalie Jacques Plante however had a great season and would win another Vezina Trophy after the season. Toronto would return to the playoffs this season along with Chicago. The Blackhawks, led by league-leading scorer Dickie Moore, would score an impressive 41 goals in 70 games. Detroit would have a rough season despite their leading scorer Gordie Howe would be subject to bad luck and tough losses. Dropping them down to last place in the standings.

St. Louis meanwhile lost out their playoff spot to Toronto after two hard losses against both Montreal and Cleveland. Despite this, Ebbie would have one last win as coach of the Amerks as they would win their last regular-season game against New York in a pack St. Louis Arena. Ebbie gave a passionate speech in front of both the players and the fans. Thanking the fans and the ownership for this opportunity to coach here despite his rough two years coaching the Chicago Blackhawks beforehand. Saying the last few years were the best years of his life in the National Hockey League. Ebbie’s departure will lead to Fred Hunt's tenure with the team.

The NHL Playoffs were interesting to say. Cleveland would prove to be the best team to beat. The Barons would prove to be too much for Plante and the Canadians would be swept in four games. Fans in Montreal were upset by this, though they knew that Maurice Richard wouldn’t be around for long despite being one of the Canadien’s best players. Meanwhile, Chicago would fly past Toronto in four games as well. The 1958-59 Stanley Cup Finals, saw a good boost in ratings again this year like last. Willie O’Ree, Tod Sloan, and goalie Terry Sawchuk lead the Barons while Chicago had Danny Lewicki (Who was in his last season in the NHL), Dickie Moore, and goalie Glenn Hall. This was a jam pack series that ended in seven games. Game seven would also be played in overtime which ended in Baron’s favor. The Cleveland Barons are two-time Stanley Cup Champions.

NHL Playoffs:
Cleveland defeated Montreal (4-0)
Chicago defeated Toronto (4-0)

NHL Finals:
Cleveland def. Chicago (4-3)

NHL Stanley Cup Champions:
Cleveland Barons

NHL Awards:
Prince of Wales Trophy: Cleveland Barons*
Art Ross Trophy: Dickie Moore (Chicago)*
Calder Memorial Trophy: Ralph Backstrom (Toronto)*
Hart Trophy: Willie O’Ree (Cleveland)*
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Tom Johnson (Montreal)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Alex Delvecchio (Detroit)
Vezina Trophy: Jacques Plante (Montreal)
(* Different than OTL)

As Fred Hunt gets set to lead the Amerks into a new era. Gussie Busch would select his successor for the St. Louis Flyers. After a rough time thinking of who to pick. Busch would select former Providence Red coach Jack Crawford as the Flyers’ new head coach.

Outside of the team. The NHL would reach a new deal with the Canadians Amature Hockey Association (CAHA) for a new professional-amateur agreement. The last deal ended back in 1955 and the two parties had operated on a gentleman’s agreement. CAHA Secretary George Dudley and NHL President Clarance Campbell would strike a new deal that would see the NHL pay the CAHA C$40,000 for developing amateur players and other things.

While that was going on. Campbell decided that with the league’s successful deal on television in both Canada and United States. It would be time to Expand by the 1963-64 Season. Campbell was already eyeing both Los Angeles, California, and Seattle, Washington as two prime targets. Seattle was home to the old Pacific Coast Hockey Association Metropolitans back in the 1910s. The Metropolitans also hold claim as the first team in the United States to win the Stanley Cup. The only thing stopping them is the Western Hockey League, who also seen growth since its debut in 1952. The WHL already has teams in Los Angeles and Seattle. The WHL also has teams in Vancouver, BC, and San Francisco, California.

Clarence Campbell knew the NHL couldn’t just stay on the east coast while they can expand to the west. So for the next year or so, the NHL would be in talks with the WHL about a possible merger between the two leagues. Time will tell how it will do, and if it will be successful in the end.

Western Hockey League Teams as of 1959:
Edmonton Oil Kings
Los Angeles Blades
San Francisco Seals
Seattle Totems
Spokane Comets
Portland Buckaroos
Vancouver Canucks (Defending WHL Champions)
Victoria Cougars (relocating to Denver, Colorado next season)

( Well that was fun. Suprise I managed to get this one done today. Cleveland becoming two times champions while the league looks out west. Fred Hunt took over the Americans and Goodfellow bids farewell to the NHL. This was a fun chapter. Think I will do one season per chapter unless I can do two-season like before. Anyways, thank you for reading, and have a great night.)

Last edited:
Interesting that a lot of the WHL teams seemed to have formed, collapsed or renamed earlier ITTL then the predominantly Canadian based league that the WHL was in 1959 OTL. I'm guessing that the leadership in the WHL would also be a bit more amiable to merging with the NHL instead of seeing them as a competitor.

I wonder what the relationship between the NHL and AHL is like at this point as well since Busch owns teams in both.

Surprised the Cougars aren't just keeping the name instead of changing, though I suppose they did change to the Blades when they moved to LA in 1961 IOTL.

Any chance we could get a list of cup winners periodically?

Interesting that a lot of the WHL teams seemed to have formed, collapsed or renamed earlier ITTL then the predominantly Canadian based league that the WHL was in 1959 OTL. I'm guessing that the leadership in the WHL would also be a bit more amiable to merging with the NHL instead of seeing them as a competitor.

I wonder what the relationship between the NHL and AHL is like at this point as well since Busch owns teams in both.

Surprised the Cougars aren't just keeping the name instead of changing, though I suppose they did change to the Blades when they moved to LA in 1961 IOTL.

Any chance we could get a list of cup winners periodically?
1. I kinda speed things up, but not as much. WHL was already in Seattle before LA joined IOTL so I decided to push things a bit so I could try to get things in order. Might come back later to haunt me but at least I tried to get things rolling for a potential merger.

2. The NHL and AHL relationship is honestly doing better. Despite losing Cleveland to expansion (might lose Pittsburgh by the mid-60s when I add Philadelphia to the league). The AHL did see a growth in teams thanks to the NHL. Quebec was invited to the AHL after the NHL asked them to join and rumors about a team in Ottawa called the Civics or Capitals could join the AHL if the NHL merges with the WHL. Though the IHL (which also has eight teams and a division format) is seen as a third tier in the hockey pyramid right now ITTL. (Though keep in mind that the WHA is still happening and something could happen with the IHL and WHA ITTL)

3. Since LA was given an expansion team by the WHL. I didn't see a need for the Cougars to relocate there. Denver made more sense given in OTL they had the Denver Invaders. (Also I decided to call the team the Colorado Centennials if/when they join the NHL. Seems easier honestly to call them that.)

4. Thank you for reminding me about that. After a decade is pass (So 1950-1960 (though I will add the year that the Amerks join as well), I will update the championship timeline for the NHL. Might do all sports as I did for the CFL-USA story. Don't know or doubt if I will cover the other leagues and what happens to them in the decade. If interested, anyone can ask me about it and will update the other sports leagues as side chapters.

With a rough season behind them. Coach Ebbie Goodfellow looked to try and save the sinking ship. However, Goodfellow knew he was getting tired. He was considering retiring after their championship run two years back. But was asked if he could coach a few more seasons. Despite already having Fred Hunt as their AHL team coach, management trusted Ebbie. But even he knew when his time is almost up. Before the season begin, Ebbie told Gussie Busch that he would retire and use this time to be with his family. Gussie, stunned by this, knew this would happen. The 1958-59 Season is Ebbie Goodfellow's last season as the coach of the St. Louis Americans.

While that was going on. Fred Hunt, who was looking to join the Amerks as head coach, was saddened to hear about Ebbie's retirement after the regular season. But was looking forward to taking over as the American's new coach. Not many changes happened to the Americans this season compared to the rest of the NHL. Closest to them was the Cleveland Barons who managed to keep their Stanley Cup-winning team. Chicago and Toronto made some shakeups this year. Which benefitted them to a playoff run this season.

Final Standings:

2. Chicago Blackhawks
  3. Montreal Canadians
  4. Toronto Maple Leafs
  5. St. Louis Americans
  6. Boston Bruins
  7. New York Rangers
  8. Detroit Red Wings

The season was a surprise for the league. For the first time in a long while, both Montreal and Detroit were not dominating the league. Montreal did make the playoffs despite dealing with Maurice Richard dealing with injuries from last season. Canadiens goalie Jacques Plante however had a great season and would win another Vezina Trophy after the season. Toronto would return to the playoffs this season along with Chicago. The Blackhawks, led by league-leading scorer Dickie Moore, would score an impressive 41 goals in 70 games. Detroit would have a rough season despite their leading scorer Gordie Howe would be subject to bad luck and tough losses. Dropping them down to last place in the standings.

St. Louis meanwhile lost out their playoff spot to Toronto after two hard losses against both Montreal and Cleveland. Despite this, Ebbie would have one last win as coach of the Amerks as they would win their last regular-season game against New York in a pack St. Louis Arena. Ebbie gave a passionate speech in front of both the players and the fans. Thanking the fans and the ownership for this opportunity to coach here despite his rough two years coaching the Chicago Blackhawks beforehand. Saying the last few years were the best years of his life in the National Hockey League. Ebbie’s departure will lead to Fred Hunt's tenure with the team.

The NHL Playoffs were interesting to say. Cleveland would prove to be the best team to beat. The Barons would prove to be too much for Plante and the Canadians would be swept in four games. Fans in Montreal were upset by this, though they knew that Maurice Richard wouldn’t be around for long despite being one of the Canadien’s best players. Meanwhile, Chicago would fly past Toronto in four games as well. The 1958-59 Stanley Cup Finals, saw a good boost in ratings again this year like last. Willie O’Ree, Tod Sloan, and goalie Terry Sawchuk lead the Barons while Chicago had Danny Lewicki (Who was in his last season in the NHL), Dickie Moore, and goalie Glenn Hall. This was a jam pack series that ended in seven games. Game seven would also be played in overtime which ended in Baron’s favor. The Cleveland Barons are two-time Stanley Cup Champions.

NHL Playoffs:

NHL Finals:

Cleveland Barons

NHL Awards:
(* Different than OTL)

As Fred Hunt gets set to lead the Amerks into a new era. Gussie Busch would select his successor for the St. Louis Flyers. After a rough time thinking of who to pick. Busch would select former Providence Red coach Jack Crawford as the Flyers’ new head coach.

Outside of the team. The NHL would reach a new deal with the Canadians Amature Hockey Association (CAHA) for a new professional-amateur agreement. The last deal ended back in 1955 and the two parties had operated on a gentleman’s agreement. CAHA Secretary George Dudley and NHL President Clarance Campbell would strike a new deal that would see the NHL pay the CAHA C$40,000 for developing amateur players and other things.

While that was going on. Campbell decided that with the league’s successful deal on television in both Canada and United States. It would be time to Expand by the 1963-64 Season. Campbell was already eyeing both Los Angeles, California, and Seattle, Washington as two prime targets. Seattle was home to the old Pacific Coast Hockey Association Metropolitans back in the 1910s. The Metropolitans also hold claim as the first team in the United States to win the Stanley Cup. The only thing stopping them is the Western Hockey League, who also seen growth since its debut in 1952. The WHL already has teams in Los Angeles and Seattle. The WHL also has teams in Vancouver, BC, and San Francisco, California.

Clarence Campbell knew the NHL couldn’t just stay on the east coast while they can expand to the west. So for the next year or so, the NHL would be in talks with the WHL about a possible merger between the two leagues. Time will tell how it will do, and if it will be successful in the end.

Edmonton Oil Kings
Los Angeles Blades
San Francisco Seals
Seattle Totems
Spokane Comets
Portland Buckaroos

( Well that was fun. Suprise I managed to get this one done today. Cleveland becoming two times champions while the league looks out west. Fred Hunt took over the Americans and Goodfellow bids farewell to the NHL. This was a fun chapter. Think I will do one season per chapter unless I can do two-season like before. Anyways, thank you for reading, and have a great night.)

Final Standings:

2. Chicago Blackhawks
  3. Montreal Canadians
  4. Toronto Maple Leafs
  5. St. Louis Americans
  6. Boston Bruins
  7. New York Rangers
  8. Detroit Red Wings

NHL Playoffs:

NHL Finals:

Cleveland Barons

NHL Awards:
(* Different than OTL)

Edmonton Oil Kings
Los Angeles Blades
San Francisco Seals
Seattle Totems
Spokane Comets
Portland Buckaroos

Relocate Spokane, it's just not a major league city. Kansas City or Dallas are my choices.. Also, rename Portland to the Pioneers or something.

Oh and call the Ottawa team the "Nationals"

Relocate Spokane, it's just not a major league city. Kansas City or Dallas are my choices.. Also, rename Portland to the Pioneers or something.

Oh and call the Ottawa team the "Nationals"
Spokane Comets will probably relocate before the merger. Might try Kansas City or Dallas as suggested. Give the WHA Houston Aeros a great rival to Dallas. But need to see what arena can support the Spokane relocation to Dallas? Reunion Arena wasn't finished till 1980 so what other arena could I use?

The Ottawa team name has yet to be decided right now. but thanks for the suggestions.

Spokane Comets will probably relocate before the merger. Might try Kansas City or Dallas as suggested. Give the WHA Houston Aeros a great rival to Dallas. But need to see what arena can support the Spokane relocation to Dallas? Reunion Arena wasn't finished till 1980 so what other arena could I use?

The Ottawa team name has yet to be decided right now. but thanks for the suggestions.
A hockey team coming to Dallas could spur the building of a new arena..

I even have a few name suggestions:
Bulls
Marshalls
Rangers

A hockey team coming to Dallas could spur the building of a new arena..

I even have a few name suggestions:
Bulls
Marshalls
Rangers
Dallas Rangers are an minor league baseball team in this TL like OTL. Plus the NY Rangers wouldn't be happy about another team using their team name.

Might go with Marshalls, Stars, or ( A callback to the driveball story from @OldNavy1988 from years back) the Pegasus. I will decide it fate either in the next chapter or the one after that. I'm in early phases of the chapter now.

Dallas Rangers are an minor league baseball team in this TL like OTL. Plus the NY Rangers wouldn't be happy about another team using their team name.

Might go with Marshalls, Stars, or ( A callback to the driveball story from @OldNavy1988 from years back) the Pegasus. I will decide it fate either in the next chapter or the one after that. I'm in early phases of the chapter now.
That was a brainfart

Move the Comets to Winnipeg, it's a great hockey market and the Winnipeg Arena was built around the time where this is set.

Move the Comets to Winnipeg, it's a great hockey market and the Winnipeg Arena was built around the time where this is set.
Might be an excuse to bring the Jets in the league early. Sounds good honestly.

Sorry but no chapter tonight due to being under a tornado watch earlier and no internet at the house. Which sucks as I use Google Docs to write the chapters. So taking a break for the night.

Whilst they don't seem to have joined the WHL ITTL, the Winnipeg Warriors were a team in the WHL from 1955 to 1961.

Winnipeg Arena was finished in 1955 and it's first event was the inaugural home opener for the Warriors.

Whilst they don't seem to have joined the WHL ITTL, the Winnipeg Warriors were a team in the WHL from 1955 to 1961.

Winnipeg Arena was finished in 1955 and it's first event was the inaugural home opener for the Warriors.
Yeah, the NHL may ask the WHL to relocate another team or expand back to Winnipeg. The Warriors only relocated the season before due to some leasing issues. Might see about relocating Spokane to there if I can't find another arena to replace the unopened Reunion Arena in Dallas. Probably adopt a new name where there. It will be the Winnipeg Jets if they do.

BTW, the original Winnipeg Warriors relocated to San Francisco. The Seals' name was adopted as a nod to the Pacific Coast baseball team. The PCL Seals owner Paul Fagan gave them the go-ahead to use the nickname. The Seals hockey club home rink the Cow Palace does sell out regularly since they moved from Winnipeg.

I have an idea:

The league should see about partnering with NBC or CBS to launch Monday Night Hockey in the 70s