The Americans Stay Strong in St. Louis: The History of the St. Louis Americans of the NHL

Let me predict the 1967 expansion teams in this timeline, since St. Louis already has a team, the next runner up IOTL was Baltimore.

So,

Philadelphia

Los Angeles

San Francisco-Oakland

Minneapolis-St. Paul

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Let me predict the 1967 expansion teams in this timeline, since St. Louis already has a team, the next runner up IOTL was Baltimore.

So,

Philadelphia

Los Angeles

San Francisco-Oakland

Minneapolis-St. Paul

Pittsburgh

Baltimore
That was and still is the initial plans for the 67 expansion. Baltimore would be a great home for the NHL plus if things head south for them ITTL, they can relocate to Washington DC and rebrand to the Capitals.

I do wonder how similar the 67 expansion will be to OTL. You'd think that the Americans and Barons would have had some affect on hockey's popularity. For example could Cincinnati possible get a team (or maybe an AHL team?) or are there any other AHL teams who after seeing the Barons step up into the NHL want into the league as well?

I will say this...given that they have now added 2 American teams...if Canada doesnt get at least 1 in 1967, you wont see the WHA form. You will see a Canadian Hockey League, which is actually much worse for the NHL.

I will say this...given that they have now added 2 American teams...if Canada doesnt get at least 1 in 1967, you wont see the WHA form. You will see a Canadian Hockey League, which is actually much worse for the NHL.
The WHA may still be a thing in this series. But a Canadian-only league sounds cool tbh.

To build on what y'all have been saying, I think either Vancouver or Buffalo could get in a couple years early since both cities were rumored for the 67 expansion and a possible relocation spot for the Oakland Seals when they first started but were passed over.

Chapter 6: “Playoff blues and the Players Associations”
Chapter 6: “Playoff blues and the Players Associations”​

With the playoffs over. The league was hit with a surprising move by two of the league stars. Doug Harvey and Ted Lindsay would lead a drive to create the National Hockey League Players’ Associations. Despite some strong support from players, it proved to be a hard sell and the NHLPA, at least for now, would fail and both players would be punished for it. Though some changes would be agreed upon after an out-of-court settlement was reached.

The Amerks would face some losses during the offseason. Despite retaining Lorne Worsley, Fred Shero, and Guyle Fielder. They would lose Terry Sawchuk to Cleveland. Meanwhile, the Cleveland Barons would sign Willie O’Ree from the Quebec Aces. O’Ree would be the first African descent to play in the NHL. He would prove to be the Barons' best player and would help the team reach the playoffs.

NHL 1957-58 Regular Season:
Final Standings
  1. Montreal Canadians (Regular Season Champions)
  2. Cleveland Barons
  3. Boston Bruins
  4. Detroit Red Wings
  5. Chicago Blackhawks
  6. St. Louis Americans
  7. New York Rangers
  8. Toronto Maple Leafs

The best the Americans grabbed was 6th place. Despite some stellar offense during the second half, both the Wings and the Blackhawks (who also failed to reach the playoffs) were better in most ways this season. Despite almost being swept by Detroit, Cleveland would survive and challenged Boston. The Bruins were lucky to reach the finals this year. Richard would be sidelined due to injuries and missed the playoffs. His absence would prove to be Montreal's downfall as the Burins would finally reach the finals since the 1945-46 Season. The finals would be a close series. Despite Cleveland being a young team, with Terry Shawchuk at goal and the upstart forward Willie O’Ree. The Barons would put away the veteran lead Bruins in five games.

NHL Playoffs:
Cleveland defeated Detroit (4-3)
Boston defeated Montreal (4-2)

NHL Finals:
Cleveland Barons def. Boston Bruins (4-1)

NHL Stanley Cup Champions:
Cleveland Barons

NHL Awards:
Prince of Wales Trophy: Montreal Canadians
Art Ross Trophy: Dickie Moore (Montreal)
Calder Memorial Trophy: Willie O’Ree (Cleveland)*
Hart Trophy: Bronco Horvath (Boston)*
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Doug Harvey (Montreal)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Willie O’Ree (Cleveland)*
Vezina Trophy: Terry Sawchuk (Cleveland)*
( * Different from OTL)

On the St Louis side of things. Despite the rough season for the Amerks, the AHL St. Louis Flyers managed to reach the playoffs. However, they were knocked out hard by Pittsburgh Hornets in a four-game sweep. Pittsburgh would go on to win the Calder Cup over Hersey Bears to mark their historic four-year dynasty in the American Hockey League. For the Americans, there were some complications over Ebbie Goodfellow and the management over at Anheuser-Busch. Despite Ebbie being well-liked by the team, Gussie Busch wanted him to get his act together so they can be contenders again. Ebbie understood but was given at least two seasons to fix the issues or else.

On the NHL side. The league ratings on CBS have been climbing over the last few seasons. Cleveland's sweep of Boston was a big win for CBS Network over rival NBC. Even NHL President Clarence Campbell was impressed by the league's sudden growth. Even admitting before retiring from active duties that if the league stayed as six teams, it would have been a rough road for the league to compete against the NFL and baseball. Even the NBA is showing growth over third-place ABC. So adding St. Louis and Cleveland to the league was more positive than a negative.

Bonus World Building:
AHL Teams for the 1957-58 Season:

Buffalo Bisons
Hersey Bears
Pittsburgh Hornets
Providence Reds
Quebec Aces (Added to help the league get into Canada)
Rochester Rangers
St. Louis Flyers
Springfield Indians

( Sorry for the long delay for this, kinda short chapter. I needed to get my mind back on track. I held on to this chapter since late February and I honestly felt bad for that. But things happen and at least it uploaded. Added the bonus list of AHL teams, which includes the Quebec Aces who debut a bit earlier to help balance the league while also getting their foot into Canada. Hope you guys enjoy this and feel free to leave a comment. Thanks and have a great night.)

I honestly think so, more so then OTL given he is on a Stanley Cup winning team. What you think about the chapter btw?
Not bad. But I think the NHL should try and expand more before 1967. With the league booming in this timeline, they can do it

Also, for the future, I think the NHL should embrace cable and or local TV when the time comes. Or even launch Monday Night Hockey.

Also, a goal of 16 teams by 1970, and 24 teams by 1990

Last edited:
Not bad. But I think the NHL should try and expand more before 1967. With the league booming in this timeline, they can do it

Also, for the future, I think the NHL should embrace cable and or local TV when the time comes.
I already thinking of expanding to west coast by 1963-64 Season? Might bring it up next chapter.

For cable, was debating either on Ted Turner TBS or ESPN. With ESPN, it will be their first real test with a major sport league before the NFL or MLB?

With Turner, it may be due to Ted seeing potential for the league to help give his cable network a chance to grow. Might convince him to look into a team for that Omni Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.

Though I could also give the league a test run on TVS (the network that aired NASL and WFL games.) just to see how the league will do. Though I may give it to the WHA or whatever the rival league will be called ITTL? I'm honestly glad to be working on this story again. It been a crazy almost two months after the last chapter...

I already thinking of expanding to west coast by 1963-64 Season? Might bring it up next chapter.

For cable, was debating either on Ted Turner TBS or ESPN. With ESPN, it will be their first real test with a major sport league before the NFL or MLB?

With Turner, it may be due to Ted seeing potential for the league to help give his cable network a chance to grow. Might convince him to look into a team for that Omni Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.

Though I could also give the league a test run on TVS (the network that aired NASL and WFL games.) just to see how the league will do. Though I may give it to the WHA or whatever the rival league will be called ITTL? I'm honestly glad to be working on this story again. It been a crazy almost two months after the last chapter...
Keep the WHA name,

As for West Coast cities, here are 8 viable cities:

Minneapolis/St. Paul
Denver
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Francisco/Oakland
Vancouver
Seattle
Kansas City

Also, go with TBS, it was a more proven name at the time and could grow the sport especially in the Southern US

Keep the WHA name,

Also, go with TBS, it was a more proven name at the time and could grow the sport especially in the Southern US
Fair enough on the WHA. For the latter, I have time before I get to it. WTBS wouldn't be a big thing till the mid to late 70s I think?

Fair enough on the WHA. For the latter, I have time before I get to it. WTBS wouldn't be a big thing till the mid to late 70s I think?
I know.. But good to plan for the future.. Plus, you could create the Atlanta Flames as a way to get Ted Turner to sign a broadcast deal with the NHL rather than the WHA

And I think 16 teams by 1970 (pre WHA) is reasonable, especially with your plan on a great Western expansion

Last edited:
I know.. But good to plan for the future.. Plus, you could create the Atlanta Flames as a way to get Ted Turner to sign a broadcast deal with the NHL rather than the WHA

And I think 16 teams by 1970 (pre WHA) is reasonable, especially with your plan on a great Western expansion
Yep. Though I need time to think of which cities will get teams. Besides obvious ones like Los Angeles, Seattle and Vancouver. Though I need to think of teams for the WHA also. I got time though so no rush here.

Good to see this back!

O'Ree in OTL wasn't a star. Far from it he bounced between the NHL and the NHL's farm league at the time the EPHL (which started in 1958) before heading west to the WHL. Not saying he can't be a star ITTL just that whilst celebrated rightfully for what he did, he just wasn't the most skilled.

As for expansion, it was actually the threat of the WHL merging with the AHL which was a part of what finally convinced the NHL to expand. The fact that the NHL is already at 8 teams ITTL having relocated one (Amercs) and stolen one from the AHL (Barons), it might not feel as threatened by the WHL and a potential merger with the AHL since one of the NHL team owners also controls a AHL team. Instead I could see the NHL opening itself up to teams from the AHL or WHL that possibly want to join. Though in 1958, the WHL is an entirely Canadian league so wouldn't be putting a tonne of pressure on the NHL yet.

In the end though, it's your story so expansion could happen for any number of reasons that didn't cause it to in OTL. TV broadcasters, the collapse of teams or leagues, an owner that the league would really like to etc.

The one thing about the NHL expansion so far ITTL is that it expanded the league's footprint small. The next wave of expansion might look to be even more prominently out west then it was in OTL, maybe all 6 teams out west (if they do 6).