The Americans Stay Strong in St. Louis: The History of the St. Louis Americans of the NHL

Chapter 4: "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back."
Chapter 4: “One Step Close, Two Step Back...”

With Cleveland joining the league. The NHL was now at eight teams, and CBS or Columbia Broadcasting System decided to give the league a spot on their network. CBS currently aired the National Football League along with the dying DuMont Television Network and wanted to branch their network to another sports league. Major League Baseball currently had a good deal with CBS rivals, NBC while the National Basketball Association was still young but had a good deal with DuMont also. The NHL was a no-brainer for CBS.

Clearance Campbell would meet with CBS over the regular season. While the Canadiens and Maple Leafs had a deal with CBC to broadcast games. The teams in the State only had the radio to broadcast games for fans. Three months before the regular season ended, Campbell and CBS finally worked out a deal to air the playoffs for the 1953-54 season and start airing select games for the 1954-55 season.

Meanwhile, The Flyers would win last season's AHL Calder Cup over the Pittsburgh Hornets. Despite sharing the arena with the Americans. Fan's still came out to support the Flyers AHL Championship win. The Americans would trade for Tim Horton from Toronto for John Mariucci and Flyers Willie Marshall. Also, the Americans would call up Guyle Fielder after a very stellar season with the Flyers.

1953-54 NHL Season:
Final Standings:
  1. Detroit Red Wings (Regular Season Champions)
  2. St. Louis Americans
  3. Montreal Canadiens
  4. Cleveland Barons
  5. Boston Bruins
  6. New York Rangers
  7. Toronto Maple Leafs
  8. Chicago Black Hawks

Detroit was once again the team to beat. But, the Americans were getting better and would usurp Montreal before the season ended for second place. The goalie duo of Gump Worsley and Terry Sawchuk would be almost impossible to beat. Montreal would settle in third place while Cleveland would end Boston chances for the postseason. Cleveland was good but mainly due to them managing to keep their top players from the AHL days.

Chicago would drop to last place after finishing fourth the year prior. Rumors suggest the team could fold but was proven false at best. But fans were growing restless at the Black Hawk management.

The Americans would sweep the Barons in four games to make their first Stanley Cup Finals. The St. Louis faithful were excited as both the Flyers and Americans were in their respective finals a year apart. (The Flyers were eliminated by the Hersey Bears in the first round this season though) However, they had to deal with Detroit Red Wings and their superstar Gordie Howe. They would also sweep the Canadiens in five games to win the title once more.

The series with back and forth for six games but the Red Wings would snatch the win away from St. Louis in Detroit. Despite this loss, Ebbie Goodfellow would still be proud of his players.

NHL Playoffs:
St. Louis defeated Cleveland (4-0)
Detroit defeated Montreal (4-1)

NHL Finals:
Detroit defeated St. Louis (4-2)

NHL Stanley Cup Champions:
Detroit Red Wings

NHL Awards:
Prince of Wales Trophy: Detroit Red Wings
Art Ross Trophy: Gordie Howe (Detroit)
Calder Memorial Trophy: Camille Henry (New York)
Hart Trophy: Gordie Howe (Detroit)*
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Fred Shero (St. Louis)(First winner of the trophy)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Red Kelly (Detroit)
Vezina Trophy: Terry Sawchuk (St. Louis) (Was tied with teammate Gump Worsley)
*Different from OTL

The ratings for the CBS broadcast of the Stanley Cup Finals were solid enough for the network to air regular-season games. Chicago would make some management changes and they would avoid any more rumors of folding. St. Louis would have an alright offseason with no issues.

The 1954-55 regular season was, however, the American's first bad season in three years. Horton and Shero would be out with injuries and even with the goaltending excellence of Worsley and Sawchuk, the team was eliminated from playoffs contention before the season was over. Fans were left disappointed despite the team's strong showing last season, though the AHL Flyers also dealt with issues with goaltending so they failed to reach their playoffs.

"This season was just awful for everyone. I'm sorry to the fans. We will bounce back next season. Mark my words." Captain Paul Gladu said during an interview

1954-55 NHL Season:
Final Standings
  2. Montreal Canadiens
  3. Boston Bruins
  4. Cleveland Barons
  5. Toronto Maple Leafs
  6. St. Louis Americans
  7. Chicago Black Hawks
  8. New York Rangers

NHL Playoffs:
Detroit defeated Boston (4-2)
Montreal defeated Cleveland (4-1)

NHL Finals:
Montreal defeated Detroit (4-3)

Montreal Canadiens

NHL Awards:
Prince of Wales Trophy: Montreal Canadiens
Art Ross Trophy: Bernie Geoffrion (Montreal)
Calder Memorial Trophy: Ed Litzenberger (Chicago)*
Hart Trophy: Ted Kennedy (Toronto)
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Doug Harvey (Montreal)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Sid Smith (Boston)*
Vezina Trophy: Jacques Plante (Montreal)
*Different from OTL

Does the Richard riot still happen in TTL? (IMO, the NHL president, Clarence Campbell, had no choice but to suspend Maurice Richard, the Montreal Canadiens' star hockey player (1), after he hit a linesman (and he had slapped a referee earlier in the season), but he definitely should not have gone to the Montreal Canadiens' first game after Richard's suspension--that was like waving a red flag in front of the proverbial bull...)

(1) A little irony here: Richard became a symbol of the pro-independence movement in Quebec--and he was against Quebec's independence...

Does the Richard riot still happen in TTL? (IMO, the NHL president, Clarence Campbell, had no choice but to suspend Maurice Richard, the Montreal Canadiens' star hockey player (1), after he hit a linesman (and he had slapped a referee earlier in the season), but he definitely should not have gone to the Montreal Canadiens' first game after Richard's suspension--that was like waving a red flag in front of the proverbial bull...)

(1) A little irony here: Richard became a symbol of the pro-independence movement in Quebec--and he was against Quebec's independence...
Actually didnt happen yet but this series mostly focus on the Americans, Flyers and the dealings of the NHL. But Richard does have beef with Campbell so it will be brought up in the next chapter or so.

Thanks for the info btw about Richard. What do you think of the story so far?

Working on the fifth chapter right now but may get pushed back till tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

I kinda skimmed over a big thing that happened during the decade in the NHL so I had to address it with this chapter. It's a bit different but it should turn out good.

Deleted member 147978

Working on the fifth chapter right now but may get pushed back till tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

I kinda skimmed over a big thing that happened during the decade in the NHL so I had to address it with this chapter. It's a bit different but it should turn out good.
That's alright, I'm looking forward to the 1967 Expansion.

You said that you have a rough outline down to help with writing the timeline so I was wondering if you have an idea for a natural stopping point?

Something I've been putting together for a potentially shorter timeline on the NHL is using 2017 as the end point simply because it lines up with the NHL's 100th anniversary.

Deleted member 147978

You said that you have a rough outline down to help with writing the timeline so I was wondering if you have an idea for a natural stopping point?

Something I've been putting together for a potentially shorter timeline on the NHL is using 2017 as the end point simply because it lines up with the NHL's 100th anniversary.
Oh? You are going to make a hockey TL too?

Unlike my CFL-AU story where I had a natural stopping point for the series but moved past that to where I having a hard time continuing onward now. This story will continue till the St. Louis Americans 60th Anniversary in the 2006-07 season. I made a "homemade" Wikipedia-like article for the series to help me keep track of stuff for later on with Google Docs.

I wanted to make this series more like a book to some degree. So hopefully it will pay off in the end. My next chapter should be out either tonight or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

I can't wait to see your Hockey TL as well @TaintedTamt.

Chapter 5: “Richard Riots and the First Championship.”
Chapter 5: “Richard Riots and the First Championship.”

The offseason turned into chaos for the NHL as the tension between Montreal’s Maurice Richard and league president Clarence Campbell was reaching its climax. To be frank, this was building for years. Richard would go on record back then and complain about how Campbell was a dictator for the league. While Campbell forced Richard to resend that statement, it didn’t help fans in Montreal who grew to loathe him.

This would come ahead during a Montreal vs St. Louis match in St. Louis Arena as during a fight between the Canadiens Doug Harvy and St. Louis Fred Shero which escalated to a flat-out brawl between the two teams. Richard would accidentally punch a referee by mistake while gunning for Shero. Campbell saw enough and suspended him for the rest of the season. This sparked outrage and would help fuel the “Americans vs Canadiens” rivalry even more during the rematch back in Montreal.

Campbell being in attendance made him a prime target for fans. Not to say that Fred Shero wasn’t also attacked by fans for his actions. However, midway in the second period, despite tight security, a tear gas bomb was set off inside the Montreal Forums. While the arena was being evacuated, Campbell would announce the game was to be a forfeit for the Americans. With fans and demonstrators joining forces, a riot started outside the Forum and in the surrounding area.

After the riot was done, Maurice Richard would talk to reporters and in both French and English, talk to the people.

“Because I always try so hard to win and had my troubles in St. Louis, I was suspended. At playoff time it hurts not to be in the game with the boys. However, I want to do what is good for the people of Montreal and the team. So that no further harm will be done, I would like to ask everyone to get behind the team and to help the boys win from Chicago and New York. I will take my punishment and come back next year to help the club and the younger players to win the Cup”
*= Slight change from OTL

Maurice Richard would make good to his promise and would sit out the remainder of his suspension.

1955-56 NHL Season:
Final Standings
  2. St. Louis Americans
  3. Boston Bruins
  4. Toronto Maple Leafs
  5. Montreal Canadiens
  6. Cleveland Barons
  7. New York Rangers
  8. Chicago Blackhawks

Despite the Richard Riots, the Americans would once again make the playoffs. They would battle Toronto in six games and come out victorious. In the Stanley Cup Finals, Detroit would be a tough team to beat, but unlike when they met two seasons ago. The Americans would hold off the wings and win the Stanley Cup for the first time. The AHL Flyers would lose the Calder Cup Finals to the Springfield Indians in four games, but fans didn’t mind it as the Americans proved they can handle the toughest teams in the NHL.

NHL Playoffs:
Detroit defeated Boston (4-1)
St. Louis defeated Toronto (4-2)

NHL Finals:
St. Louis defeated Detroit (4-3)

St. Louis Americans

NHL Awards:
Prince of Wales Trophy: Detroit Red Wings
Art Ross Trophy: Gordie Howe (Detroit)
Calder Memorial Trophy: Glenn Hall (Cleveland)*
Hart Trophy: Gordie Howe (Detroit)*
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Fred Shero (St. Louis)*
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Earl Reibel (Detroit)
Vezina Trophy: Terry Sawchuk (St. Louis)
* Different from OTL

With the Americans winning the cup, fan support shifted from the AHL Flyers to the NHL Americans. Which worried the American Hockey League who lost two teams during the last three years, Cleveland Barons to the NHL and Pittsburgh Hornets due to losing their stadium. They would rebound and expand to Rochester, New York. But the NHL was growing strong while the AHL was losing steam.

Despite the AHL worries, Anheuser-Busch was still dead sent in keeping the Flyers in St. Louis. The Offseason would see some changes to the lineup as despite winning the Stanley Cup, Terry Sawchuk was finding it difficult to enjoy his time on the Americans. On August 13, 1956, he would be traded to Cleveland for defenseman Bill Gadsby. Despite this, Lorne “Gump” Worsley was still capable to keep the team in the league standings.

NHL 1956-57 Season:
Final Standings
  1. St. Louis Americans (Regular Season Champions)
  2. Montreal Canadiens
  3. Detroit Red Wings
  4. Cleveland Barons
  5. Boston Bruins
  6. Chicago Blackhawks
  7. New York Rangers
  8. Toronto Maple Leafs

The Americans finally won the Prince of Wales Trophy this season with a 40-18-12 record for the season. But behind them were the Canadiens with a determined Maurice Richard leading the team to a second-place finish. The playoffs saw St. Louis beating Detroit in six games and Montreal ending Cleveland return to the playoffs with a shutout series win. The Stanley Cup finals finally pitted the Montreal Canadiens and the St. Louis Americans. Fans in the Montreal Forums still remember last season and they booed everything that St. Louis did while cheering their home team on.

Montreal would use last season as their drive and would end the Americans' second Stanley Cup ambitions with a 4-2 series win in Montreal. Despite the loss, the Americans would still keep their core for next season. Still, the game was a hard one for the team. On the AHL side, the Flyers would capture the Calder Cup for the first time in a few seasons over the Rochester Rangers. Despite this, fans were still leaning more toward the Americans than the Flyers still. Only time will tell if things will get back to normal.

NHL Playoffs:
St. Louis defeated Detroit (4-2)
Montreal defeated Cleveland (4-0)

NHL Finals:
Montreal defeated St. Louis (4-2)

NHL Stanley Cup Championship:
Montreal Canadiens

NHL Awards:
Prince of Wales Trophy: St. Louis Americans *
Art Ross Trophy: Jean Beliveau (Montrea)
Calder Memorial Trophy: Larry Regan (Boston)
Hart Trophy: Maurice Richard (Montreal) *
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Doug Harvey (Montreal)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Andy Hebenton (Chicago) *
Vezina Trophy: Jacques Plante (Montreal)
* Different from OTL

Last edited:
With the Americans finally winning the cup and taking over as the main team in St.Louis, I'm curious to see what happens to the Flyers. Being the farm team, they'd want to be kept close by so would Kansas City possibly work in they are moved? And if the Flyers survive and keep the name, Philadelphia (if they join in 1967) will be under a different name which will be interesting to see.

the St. Louis Canadiens
Slight mistake here.

With the Americans finally winning the cup and taking over as the main team in St.Louis, I'm curious to see what happens to the Flyers. Being the farm team, they'd want to be kept close by so would Kansas City possibly work in they are moved? And if the Flyers survive and keep the name, Philadelphia (if they join in 1967) will be under a different name which will be interesting to see.
The plan is for Gussie Busch to keep both teams in town. While it will be difficult it can be done like the OTL NHL Chicago Blackhawks and the AHL Chicago Wolves. When the St. Louis Arena retires after the 1996-97 regular season, I plan to move the Flyers to the Family Arena in St. Charles, Missouri while the Americans play in the Kiel Center in Downtown St. Louis.

Though the talks of them playing in Kansas City will get brought up later in the series. As for the OTL Philadelphia Flyers, they don't exist out of respect to the AHL Flyers. I have a team name ready for them but curious what you guys think they should be called instead.

Also, I did kinda rough the spell check in the last chapter so thanks for pointing it out. I'm kinda late uploading it anyways so my bad either way. Hopefully, everyone enjoyed it.

Deleted member 147978

Um, hey @TheMatthew25, do you like this Excel Graph for the upcoming ATL 53-54 NHL Season I had made for your TL?
ATL 53-54 NHL Season (St. Louis Amerks TL).png