The Amalingian Empire: The Story of the Gothic-Roman Empire

Interlude #1: The Map
Ravenna, capital of Gotland

Luitprand spread out the map on the table in front of him, and smiled the charming Lombard grin of his.

"Its a copy of an old Gothic map from 500," he said, his teeth flashing white in the light. "This would have been originally created by a scribe at the University of Ravenna just before Theodemir became Emperor of Rome."

"I know what it is," Gloria said, her voice sharper than she intended. Since she was a child, she had heard stories of Lombard men and their charm, and had no intention for falling for it. "How do I know its authentic?"

Luitprand shrugged, "Well, its not original, I don't came I it. But its a copy of an original, and if you look at the ink work, it can't be from a time later than the 900s."

Gloria nodded, "The Theutish invasions," he said to herself.

"Well, yes," Luitprand said, "and the fact that, if you look in the power right hand corner, its deep dated and signed by the artist."

She blushed then, and took a magnifying glass to look at the signature; it looked authentic. Although she was no Doctor of History, she had studied enough to to be able to tell the clumsy fakes which still sprouted in the markets of Ravenna like mushrooms.

"The one thing I don't understand," she said, trailing off.

"Yes?"

"The caption. It seems to show more of a sense of humor than I'd expect from an ancient scribe."

Luitprand nodded, "The students of the University of Ravenna were well known for their sense of humor," he said. "and this is the work of one such student, Master Munro. His works are well known to collectors of antiquity."

"Well, fine," Gloria said as she took one last look at the document, "How much."

"5 thousand."

"Five thousand? Are you insane. I'll pay 2000 and not only bit more."

Luitprand sighed and managed to convey such despair, anguish an boredom in the expression that he almost won Gloria over. "I could do 3000," he said, "but, you understand, these maps are not easy to find, and I have a wife and three children."

"Sure you do," Gloria said, "and each child is by a different mother, and none of them by your wife, I'm sure. 2500."

"Deal," the Lombard said and smiled again. He held his hand out to shake.

"Deal," Gloria responded, looking one more time at the map. It would be such a good conversational piece in her Atha Claith apartment.

Amalingian.png

OOC: A special thanks to B_Munro for creating this awesome map for us to enjoy. My hat is off to you, sir (and, as a man who wears a bowler, a top hat, a Frilby AND a Fedora, I have many hats to doff to you!) Thank you so much!

Hope you all enjoyed the map. I'm planning on having a new chapter up in the day or two; just trying to get some research done in advance (and not at work; apparently they frown on it there :p).

Okay. So my next post is going to deal with the developments in the myths and legends of the Germanic peoples, as a result of the reign of Theodemir and the reconstitution of the Western Empire under Gothic leadership.

Unfortunately, it is proving to be a bit difficult to write; largely because mythology and folklore is a bit more difficult to extrapolate from than history and the like. I'm going to push a head, but if anyone who is reading this has any good sources about the topic, I would love to hear from them.

Right now, one of my biggest problems is dealing with the OTL Volsung Saga and Nibleungenleid. In OTL, the character of Sigfried/Sigurd appear to have been a developed character; in Beowulf it is his father Sigmund who is the dragon slayer, and this seems to be the earlier version of the tale. Also, there is some question over when the characters of Gundrun and Brunhilde developed (there is some theories that they sprang from the rather epic confrontation between Queen Brunhilde and another Frankish princess). Despite this, the cycle of Attila's Court and his downfall are so intertwined with thesaga of the Burgundians that its difficult to see how that story could have taken place without their presence.

GAH! :) I mean, I am loving the research (I have a huge soft spot for Germanic myth, if you haven't figured it out already!), but if anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would be more than willing to hear it! :D

As the ring cycle takes place before the Goth moved into the Roman empire keep it the same or at most Gothicfy the names. As for Beowolf use the older form if there is enough to go on. I'd never heard of it. Where can I find it?

As the ring cycle takes place before the Goth moved into the Roman empire keep it the same or at most Gothicfy the names. As for Beowolf use the older form if there is enough to go on. I'd never heard of it. Where can I find it?

Well, the problem with the Ring Cycle is that, although it takes place before the Gothic migrstion into Italy, it seems to have taken its final form centuries later. Also, chronology in such stories does not have to reflect what actually happened. For instance, in the Nibelungenleid, Etzle's loyal follower, and the slayer of Gundrun (after her monumental melt down) is one Deitrich of Bern. Deitrich, as a figure, appears to have been loosely based uppn Theoderic the Great (also, in Deitrich's own cycle, he is only in the Hunnish court because he is seeking asylum after being exiled by his usurping Uncle. The Gothic invasion of Italy, tgen, is imagined as his quest (with Hunnish help) to reclaim his rightful throne!

And this is somewhat my problem. I think its obvious that the fall of the Burgundians and the Fall of Atilla had already found a place in the German imagination by this point. However, what form they take at that point is another matter. There are some theories that the conflict between Brunhilda and Gundrun stemmed from the hostilities between two 7th century Frankish Queens (one of whom was even named Brunhilda). If this is the case, then those two don't even exist in the ATL, obviously.

Also, its my feelings that the Volsung tales, and the fall of the Burgundians actually existed as seperate cycles before merging at some point. After all, the main hero has two unrelated names in the southern and northern traditions, where as all of the other characters have rather etymologically correct names between the traditions. Also, as i mentioned before, in Beowulf, it is Seigmund (Sigurd/Sigfried's father) who is the dragon slayer; which seems to say the that is the earlier version of the story!

So, even if these stories merge in the ATL, I think they take a different form; especially if the character of Theodemir and the Fall of the Merovings become as large of a fixture in the mythology, as I'm confident they would. It opens up some good story possibilities, but is ... complex.

I think I have a general narrative working out in in my head, but am open to any suggestions, or good sources on the topic that people have. :)

On a side note, i fear Beowulf may be butterflied in this TL. There are a number of reasons, but im on my phone right now, so it will have to wait for a future post to be explained.

U

Chapter 17
Chapter 17

“There are four great Spills in European literature; that of the Britons, the Romans, the Gaels, and the Germans. Of these, the German Spill represents two distinct eras; the Gothic and the Theut. Despite this, the two branches of the German Spill represent two interwoven literary threads, rather than distinct branches which, sprouting from a common source and diverging from one another” – Vitus d’Gaul [FN1]

The Spills of the Goths
By: Adal Wulfswair
St. Athalric University Press, Massalbaurgs, Gotland [OTL: Marseilles, France], 2007 [FN1]

Introduction

The legends of the Germanic peoples represent one of the greatest bodies of literature of the European Migration Ages; those years from the collapse of the old Roman order in the West to the establishment of the Theutish dominions. These stories were held sacred by the many different Germanic folk, and passed from one nation to another on the lips of elders in the village hall, sung by poets in the court of kings or, ever so rarely, written down and preserved for future generations by court scribes and scholars.

Often, the tales that were handed down to us disagree upon many fundamentals. The epic Aírmanareiksaggws, written during the 7th century of the Christian era, tells the story of the great Gothic King Airmanareiks, his efforts to create a Kingdom in Aujum centered upon the old capital of Athahaim, and his eventual defeat by the Huns. In this song, Airmanareiks is remembered as a great warrior, but also a King known for cruelty. His fall is brought upon by the brothers of Sunilda, after Airmanareiks has his wife ripped apart by horses, believing her to be unfaithful. The brothers ally with the Huns, causing Airmanareiks’ noble suicide after his armies have been defeated. A second epic, now lost to us, named the Vithimirussaggws, dealt with Airmanareiks’ successor, Vithimirus, and his efforts to hold back the Hun’s power. However, only three centuries later, Vithimirus’ appears as an antagonist to Theoderic; a cousin who usurped Theoderic’s rightful throne, and who was responsible for the King’s exile to Hunland. [FN2]

Of course, the central figure of the Gothic tales was Theodemir the Great, immortalized as Deitmir der Grosse by the Saxon poet of the “Merovingleid.” A great deal of historical information has been passed down to us about this incredible Emperor, who united the Goths and restored the Empire of the West. Of these, perhaps the most informative remains the writings of Wulfila Strabo, who wrote the first biography of Theodemir, as well as references to his reign by the Rhomanian historian Procopius, as well as royal documents from the Kingdoms of the Goths, the Rhomanian Empire, as well as stray references from surviving documents from the Frankish Kingdoms, as well as the Vandals, and other Germanic peoples.

A great deal as been written about the historic Theodemir, and rightfully so, for he helped to construct the future of Europe. However, much less has been written about the mythic figure which supplanted the historical king in the minds of many of the Germanic and Walish folks of Europe. This is, to me, is a great shame, as the character of Theodemir has proven to be as important to the development of Europe was the historical king.

First, it is important to establish that there are actually three traditions of Theodemir present in the folklore of Europe; both of which do not argue upon the actual details of his life, but differ greatly in their interpretation. The first, and earliest, are those stories which stem from the Gothic period itself, and is represented in story fragments recorded b the Arian churchman Luivigild in the 8th century, as well as the History of the Goths written down by Bishop Witteric of Bern. The Theodemir which emerges from these stories is of a just and noble king who was a defender of the Arian church; many of these tales are based upon the King’s military exploits and can usually be verified by the historical record.

The second tradition are the magical stories of Theodemir. These tales often show the King’s battles against different mythological beings, such as Giants, the undead, and other creatures. For many years, academia has largely ignored these stories, although they continue to be popular amongst the people, as seen by the recent best-seller “The King and the Druigan” which retells the story of Theodemir’s victory over an army of undead Druigan raised by his mother and sister, early in his reign. In these stories, Theodemir is able to breath fire when angry, an ability inherited from his Father who may be a descendent of the Devil (and, here, we see the influence of Roman Orthodox traditions which largely denigrated the Amali line for their Arianism).

Finally, we have the third tradition, which surrounds the Fall of the Merovings. These stories likely started in Frankland in the decades following the collapse of Meroving power. Although some scholars argue that they should not be included in the cycle of Theodemir and the Amalings, due to their primary focus upon the Meroving Kings, and their House’s fall, I find this argument to be foolish. Not only does Theodemir appear as a constant force in many of the stories of the cycle, he is one of the main characters of the Merovingleid; the most popular work of this body of legend and myth!

It is in these stories that we are greeted by a far different Theodemir than appears in the rest of the body of legends. The Theodemir which emerges in the Fall of the Merovings in a vicious king, often described as “wolf-like” and “a beast.” In many ways, the character which emerges is much more nuanced than that in the other traditions. Although still seen as a great King, he is often driven solely by revenge and a desire to destroy the Franks at all costs. Certainly, the historical record backs up the facts, of not the interpretation, of these stories. The tales of the Meroving cycle eventually passed into Scandinavia, likely prior to the Theutist Era, and greatly colored the image of Theodemir which would emerge over the next several centuries.

The Spill of Germany can largely be divided into four different segments; the Fall of the House of Burgundy, the Tales of Theoderic of Bern, the Cycle of Theodemir, and the Fall of the Merovings. Although certain differences in the stories do exist, one can piece together a generally agreed upon chronology of events. It is important to remember that this do not always reflect the historic record, as it has come down to us.

The Fall of Burgundy

The tale of the Fall of Burgundy follows the story of the princess Hildico, and her Father Gunther. Gunther is a great King who has managed to create a Kingdom around the city of Worms within the Roman Empire. In order to secure his own power, he has made allied with the Huns led by Etzel (Atilla) who helped him in his wars against Rome. Gunther then promises his daughter, Hildico, to the King of the Huns in order to secure peace. Unfortunately for him, Hildico is already in love with another warrior, Alaric, who has helped Gunther in his wars, and was instrumental in the Burgundian taking o Worms.

Gunther, under the guise of friendship, offers to marry Hildico and Alaric. However, at the wedding, he betrays his daughter and her chosen love, and has Alaric murdered, and vows to marry his daughter to the King of the Huns, instead. Unfortunately, Hildico is already pregnant with Alaric’s child. She gives birth and places the child in a basket, which she sends down the Rhine. This child, Alabert, is found and raised by a family of kindly Goth peasants who only know that he is a prince because of a broach that they found in his basket. Upon reaching manhood, Alabert is given three tasks by his foster-parents (to dive to the bottom of a local pond to retrieve a golden apple, to slay a prominent Roman bandit, and to win the love of the princess Brunhilda.), only after he has completed all three is he told of his true heritage.

Upon discovering his true parentage, Alabert travels to the Hunnish Court, disguised as a lowly peasant. After arriving, he saves the life of Atilla from a Roman assassin, and is made a Reik in the Hunnish Army. It is then that he turns the King’s ear against the Burgundians, encouraging him to war against his allies, claiming they possess a great treasure. Attila agrees, and he declares war against the Burgundians, eventually capturing Gunther in battle. Alabert asks for the honor to execute the King and, only then, reveals his heritage to Gunther and his mother, Hildico. Alabert executes his grandfather by throwing him into a pit of vipers. [FN3]

Hildico agrees with Alabert’s motives, and encourages her sons through Atilla to attack the newcomer, knowing that they would be easily illed by her trueborn son. After slaying all of Atilla’s sons, Alabert declares his true heritage in court, and challenges Atilla to battle. However, Atilla overcomes his younger opponent and kills him. This drives HIldico to the point of madness, and upon seeing her son’s body, she tales Atilla back to their marriage bed and stabs him multiple times. The next morning, upon the discovery of the King’s body,she is killed by Theodoric of Bern. [FN4]

Theodoric of Bern

The stories of Theodoric of Bern begin in the ancient Gothic capital of Athahaimin the kingdom of Aujum. There, Aírmanareiks has built a great Kingdom. However, in his lust for power, at an old age, he marries the Swedish princess Sunhilda. However, Sunhilda comes to love Aírmanareiks’ son Randver, and has a son by him, Theodoric. The King discovers the infidelity and has Sunhilda tied to four horses and town apart. His own son, he has drowned in the sea. In revenge, her sisters make an alliance with the Huns and Alans, Aírmanareiks meets his foes in battle, but suffers a horrible loss. Rather than be captured, he chooses to die by his own hand and commits suicide.

The Gothic leader Vithimirus is then elected to rule the Kingdom, and carries out a great war against the Huns. At the same time, Sunhilda and Valamir’s son Theodoric is discovered by the Huns, and is raised by the King’s son Attila. The two become like brothers, and, with the help of the Huns, Theodoric is able to defeat the usurper and take control of the Goths, ruling then as a vassal of Attila. With Attila’s death, however, he joins the Goths in a war against Attila’s successor Bleda, who has previously feuded with Theodoric over the spoils of war.

Theodoric then moves into Italy where he sets up his own kingdom, and rules to a vast age, dispensing justice throughout the land.

Theodemir the Great and the Fall of the Merovings

Theodemir’s life is continually intertwined with that of the Merovings who are represented as former allies of Theodoric in his wars against Belda. According to the stories, Theodoric married Clovis’ sister in order to seal their alliance. However, the bonds of friendship between the two Kings began to be strained as each began to claim more and more of the Roman Empire. Eventually, Clovis invades Aquitaine after a perceived insult, when Theodoric refused to accept an embassy from Clovis (in fact, Theodoric’s wife, and Clovis’ sister had conspired to create a war in order to gain the Hunnish treasure which Clovis had uncovered in the Rhine.)

In the war, Theodemir, much like his historical counterpart, kills Clovis in rage, and begins the enmity between the Goths and Franks. As recorded in the Merovingleid and other tales, the conflict between the two peoples remains largely historically accurate, except for certain embellishments. The sons of Clovis declare war and kill Theodemir’s nephew and, later, his son in a scene which is highly reminiscent (and likely inspired) the death of Alaric in the Burgundian court. The final war has been immortalized in Germanic folklore and mythology to this day; countless pieces of literature and art portray the siege of Paris, the burning of the city, and Theodemir’s execution of the Merovings.

The attention then turns away from Theodemir, and focuses upon the last two heirs of the Merovings, Theudoric and Clovis. After Theudeoric murders his own father on a hunting expedition, in vengeance for his own uncles, his younger brother Clovis rises up in revolt. The two finally meet in combat, at the Battle of Metz and slay one another, thereby ending the Meroving line once and for all.

However, other stories persist of Theodemir and the Emperor Germanus who acts as his faithful friend and ally. Although these stories do have basis in historical fact; Germanus proved to be a staunch friend of Theodemir, even sending funds to help build a tomb for the Western Emperor, many of the tales seem to express the political reality of a century later as both Roman Empires struggles for dominance in the Mediterranean and likely belong to a later tradition.

Finally, on the eve of a war against the Seubi, Theodemir falls ill and dies. However, it is prophesied they he was not dead, but dreaming, and would return again to lead the Goths to glory when they needed him most. [FN5]

[FN1] This is an attempt to come up with an alternate name for the Romance term “Matter”, I.e. The Matter of Britain, the Matter of France and the Matter of Rome. In this timeline, the Germanic traditions remain even stronger, and so they are given their true due in European literary thought. In OTL, the Gothic term “Spill” means story and, I think, maybe be related to the word Spiel.

[FN2] Aujum and Athahaim are my efforts to reconstruct the Gothic name for the old Kingdom of the Goths and its capital (which means River Home). I am no linguist, and my efforts may be off, but it’s the best I could do  Both of these words were recorded, through translation, in OTL, with Athahaim appearing in Old Norse Sagas (see my previous posts!)

[FN3] The “pit of Vipers” appears to be a particularly strong motif in Germanic myth, as Gunther dies this way in the Volsung Saga, and Ragnar Lothbrok dies similarly in Northumbria. I figured that this may have been a story which was attached to the Burgundians early on, and would likely be continued.

[FN4] So ends the ATL version of the Nibelunenlied. It’s a bit less developed in the ATL, as the rise of the Amalings and the Fall of the Merovings eclipse it. Its important to note that the bridge of Attila mentioned in the story is the real name o Attila’s last bride in OTL. I purposely kept the themes of revenge and self destruction in the tale, but did not expand upon them as much as in OTL. I also did not include the character of Brunhilda of Gundrun(Kreimhild) under the theory that those characters appeared in the story at a later date.

[FN5] The stories of Theodemir are not fully explained in this section. However, I felt that they would be truer to real life, as there are better written sources to describe his reign. In much the same way, the stories of Charlemagne deviate from real life at certain points, but the main facts of his reign are still held onto.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay; this post was very difficult to write. As I mentioned above, I struggled to find the 'roots' of those Germanic stories we known in OTL. I did the best I could, and plan to return to this post as I continue my reading to make changes.

I really hate to do this, because it sounds so childish, but could my readers please make a comment or two on this post? First of all, I'd love to hear from your collective knowledge. Second of all, I know that this post is a bit esoteric, and may not fall within the realm of expertise of many of my readers. Despite that, it marks an advancement of certain topics I've been wanting to explore since the beginning and, as a mythology geek, is one which is very important to me. I'd value any confirmation that people have read it and appreciated it, and I'd value any constructive criticism even more! :)

ingemann

Banned
Like it, also about the Gothic language from what I know of it, they treated it similar to other non-(modern) English Germanic languages, with new words being created by connecting two old words (so Riverland in stead of River Land). So you seem to use it the right way.

I like the worm pit, it seem a popular execution form in Germanic myths.

I also have a question about who lives in Gaul? I would have thought that with the prrovince depopulated the Bretons would have moved in. I can't see it being left alone unless someone are settled there (it could be anybody from Breton, Alemannic or other confederalis, Frankish collaborators, Gothic settlers etc).

I also have a question about who lives in Gaul? I would have thought that with the prrovince depopulated the Bretons would have moved in. I can't see it being left alone unless someone are settled there (it could be anybody from Breton, Alemannic or other confederalis, Frankish collaborators, Gothic settlers etc).

I haven't dealt with the remains of Gaul yet, in any meaningful way, but plan on doing so in the near future. My feeling was that the Bretons wouldn't expand into the entire region because, well, there just aren't THAT many Bretons, unless that all want to flee Britain.

I suspect that Theodemir wouldn't be too willing to trust any Frankish settlers at this point, although there were probably refugees which fled there following the collapse the Meroving Frankland during the 540s and 50s. Likewise, Theodemir wouldn't want to rely on Gothic settlers, as he is worried about spreading the Goths out too thin on the ground (see his efforts to roll back Gothic settlements in Hispania, and to concentrate their settlement within a defined region).

I could see Gallo-Romans from Gotland being brought in (which would open up more land for Goths, so its win-win ... it might even be offered to urban dwellers who want to flee the cities after the plagues.), and then allowing the population to naturally rebound. The land around Paris will eventually be repopulated, and the city will be rebuilt, in time; but the King isn't in too much a hurry to do so. I figure he rather likes the ruins of Paris standing as a monument of what happens when people cross his family, and, remember, that the province around Paris comes to be known as "The Wasteland" for centuries.

Chapter 18 The Periphery
Chapter 18

The Periphery

The Barbarians Triumphant: a History of the Early Vandalic Kingdom
By: Valamir Wulfsháubiþ
[University of Carthage, Vandalia, 2009]

The revolt of Gelimer against Hilderic 530 sent shockwaves throughout the country of Vandalia. Since the death of the great king Genseric, the Vandals had largely been in retreat against the forces of the Goths to the North and the Berbers to the South. The entire Kingdom had long lived under the threat of Rhomanian intervention, and had few strong allies in which to solidify their position. [FN1]

The Kingdom of the Vandals had been weakened by years of internal and external strife. The imprisonment of the Gothic Queen Amalfrida nearly led to war between the two Germanic kingdoms; a disaster that was only adverted by the death of Theodoric the Great, and his son and heir, Theodemir’s negotiation of a peace, which saw his aunt returned to freedom. [FN2]

In an effort to protect his Kingdom, Hilderic entered into close relations with the Rhomanian Emperor Justianian, and the two became quite close. Hilderic allowed an Orthodox bishop to be restated in the capital of Carthage, and his reign apparently saw the conversion of many Vandals to the Orthodox faith, much to the fear of the Vandal Arian population. Unfortunately, due to his own old age, he left military affairs to his nephew Hoamer, who proved a less than competent general, and saw the defeat of the Vandals a several battles against their Moorish and Berber foes.

It was to be his military defeats, and religious policies, which were to instigate the rebellion of Gelimer and the later’s taking of the Vandal throne. Gelimer immediately restored Arianism as the main doctrine of the land, and launched a persecution against the Orthodox citizens of his nation. This policy, normally, would have seen war come with the Rhomanians, as they were zealous protectors of the Orthodox population of the old Roman Empire, in both East and West. Luckily, the overthrow of Justinian, who was planning just such an intervention, and the resulting decades of civil war, effectively minimized the strength of the Empire of the East and allowed Gelimer to consolidate his power within Carthage and the surrounding lands. [FN3]

Gelimer would reign until 553, dying five years short of the newly claimed Western Emperor Theodemir I, and was succeeded by his son Gelibert. During this time, Gelimer made several important decisions which would secure the continued rule of the Vandals over North Africa. Primarily, he realigned the states diplomacy; whereas before they had continued to react against the forces of the East, the civil wars in that region, gave them a chance to secure new alliances and strengthen themselves. During 544, an embassy to Ravenna secured Gothic control of Sicily in exchange for an alliance of marriage between Theodemir’s son Alamir and Gelimer’s daughter Brunhilde.

This realignment was to prove important over the next few decades. As the Goths continued to secure their hold over the Western lands, and the eventual elevation of Theodemir to the title of Emperor of the West, the lands of North Africa fell out of the attention of the Rhomanians of he West. Part of this was due to simple political realities; after decades of bitter civil war, the Empire of the East was in no position to extend its power throughout Africa. However, philosophically, Germanus I and his successors were unwilling to turn their eyes to North Africa, following the crowning of Theodemir. In their minds, the reestablishment of the Western Empire left the territory of North Africa under the auspice of Ravenna, rather than Constantinople, and the Vandals thereby become a Western problem, o do with as they wished. Although Vandal pirate attacks would continue to cause problems between the two Emperors, as did religious divides in the region, no longer would Constantinople attempt to force its influence upon the Vandals directly.

An immediate effect of the alliance with the Wes was e reentrenchment of the Arian church in North Africa. Whereas, jus a decade before, Vandal nobility had shown themselves to be willing to convert to Orthodoxy, the reign of Gelimer saw a strengthening of the Arian church within the region. Part of this stemmed from thee newly won prestige o f the faith, in opposition to Orthodoxy, following the Gothic vanquishing of the Orthodox Franks, as well as by Arian missionaries sent by Ravenna to North Africa. The result, was that the Vandal Kingship become inherently Arian, and Gelimer proceeded to renew the suppression of the Orthodox clergy which begun under his predecessor. [FN4]

Unfortunately, a renewed appreciation for domination religion amongst the Germanic peoples did no secure military glory. Although Gelimer won several striking victories over the Berbers, and temporarily secured the borders of his kingdom, such victories would prove to be short lived, and the Vandals would lose much of the land outside of ancient Libya during the reign of his successor Gelibert [modern Gilbert].

It would be left up to a future Vandal King to secure the lands of Vandalia, and create a lasting Kingdom in North Africa.

The Birth of Lombardy: The Story of the Early Lombards
By Luitprand Leinenkugel
[University of Lombardy – Dornpurg, Dornpurg, 2003] [OTL, Split, Croatia] [FN5]

From the early 6th century, the Lombards have come to dwell in the Carpathian basin, a land shared with them by their fellow Germanic tribe, the Gepids. However, relations between the two remained tense, and the slightest disturbance within the power of either was liable to lead to an all out war as the other attempted to maximize his own power at the expense of the other.

In 510, the Lombard King Tato, after having decisively defeated the Herulish king Rodulf, was murdered by his own nephew, Wacho. Ildichis, the son of Tato fought a long war against his father’s slayer and eventually defeated him in battle, but Wacho fled to the Gepid court. It is likely that Ildchis requested that his neighbors turn over the usurper, and we have a references in Wulida Strabo that Theodemir the Great sent an embassy to the Gepids asking that Wacho be turned over to the Lombards, but such requests were in vain.

Ildichis enjoyed strong relations with the Goths, and married Amahilda, the daughter of a prominent Gothic Reik in order to secure further relations between the two people. However, outside forces were acting against the Lombard kingdom. As allies with the Goths and Germanus I in the War for the Rhomanian Crown, the Lombard occupied Sirmium and, following the conclusion of peace, they refused to give up the territory, claiming it was their price for their support.

Germanus I could not allow himself to be seen as giving up Rhoman territory to the barbarians in exchange for the crown. The Rhomanians sent word o the Gepids that they would support that nation’s consolidation of the Carpathian basin in exchange for driving the Lombards out of Sirmium.

Elemung, the King of the Gepids also faced a problem; he had come to power after overthrowing the Ardaricings, who had previously held power over the Gepids. Feeling that a victory over the Lombards, would secure his own legitimacy, Elemung agreed to the Rhomanian offer. Further, he currently holsted Wachmung, the heir of Wacho, who held a claim upon the Lombard throne.

At the Battle of Sirmium, the Lombards were routed. Elemung captured the Lombard King Illdichis and had his head made into a golden mug for the drinking of mead. Elemung also married Illdichis’ eldest daughter to his son, Thurisund in the aftermath. [FN5]

The victory of the Gepids over the Lombards would secure Gepid power in the Carpathian basin, and also drive out the Lombards. Although many Lombards chose to stay with their land, many others chose to seek asylum within the Gothic territory.

These Lombards, ruled by their king, Agiluf, would petition the Gothic King Amalric to be settled within the borders of the Gothic-Roman Empire. Continuing the policies of his Father, begun with the Breton settlers, and later expanded to the Seubi, Amalaric granted their request. The Lombards were settled in the old provinces of Dalmatia, which had been depopulated by plague, famine, and the invasion by Photius in the opening stages of the War for the Rhoman crown.

At this point, we may mark the true beginning of the history of Lombardy. Granted the lands by the Emperor Amalaric, the Lombards under Agiluf, moved in to secure the territory. Under their agreement with Ravenna, they were to supply soldiers, and minimal taxes, to the Gothic-Roman crown and, in exchange, would likely be left in peace. These terms were largely the same as those granted the Bretons and Seubi, and Agiluf quickly moved to express his loyalty to the Emperor.

Of course, as history would show, the relations between the Lombards and the Emperor in Ravenna would proved strained, at best. But, during the reign of Agiluf I, he Lombards would do their best to act as the first line of defense of the Empire against the Rhomans, Avars and Gepids. [FN6]

[FN1] Much of this occurs as in OTL. Although butterflies would certainly exist, I don’t believe the position of the Vandals would be greatly strengthened. They were, after all, a foreign people ruling over a largely hostile native population and, historically, most of their actions were dictated by a strong fear of the Byzantines.

[FN2] This is all as in OTL, except for the eventual peace deal reached by Theodemir. My opinion is that, new to the throne, Theodemir could not be seen as abandoning a relation, especially to a king who was showing himself open to the forces of Orthodoxy. The eventual peace deal results in the release of his aunt, and the Vandal king backing away from being to friendly to the East.

[FN3] All of this is OTL up until the overthrow of Justinian, which effectively stops the Byzantines from sending forces out to deal with the Vandals; they have their own problems to deal with.

[FN4] The reestablishment of the Empire in the West has some immediate consequences. First of all, the Goths become the defacto ‘big guys’ to deal with in the West. Their court, their religion, and culture become a force to be dealt with in the West. Secondly, the recreation of the Empire of the West, means that North Africa suddenly falls under the jurisdiction of the Emperor of Ravenna. The notion is that there is still a single Empire ruled by two Emperors (this notion may break down in the future, of course), and North Africa is the province of the West. Thereby, it is not the trouble of Constantinople any more.

This effectively shifts responsibility of the region to Ravenna. As long as the Vandals don’t cause too many problems, this is fine; should they start preying on shipping again, is means that Constantinople is going to vie Ravenna as responsible for their actions.

For the time being, however, it gives the Vandals an Arian ally, tied to them by blood, on which to lean on. Although the Vandals are, currently suffering from military defeats by the Berbers, they now have another power to play against Constantinople, and they plan on playing that hand for all it is worth.

[FN5] Once again, I've tried my best to come up with a good ATL name for a modern city. In OTL,the city of Split gets its name from the thorny plant which is present in the region. The Old High German word for thorn was Dorn. Lombarish was a High Germanic Language, but, we also know they often translated the 'b' sound for 'p'. Therefore, we have a name of Dornpurg or, in English 'Thornburg'. As usual, if we ahve any actual linguists out there, please feel free to tell me that I'm wrong!!

[FN6] Since these are Germanics we are dealing with, you can imagine that this is going to have a happy ending. Or, you could, at least, if you knew absolutely nothing about Germanic history! 

[FN7] I’ve foreshadowed this a number of times. The costs of Dalmatia and Illyrium were badly damaged by Photius, and also suffered badly from the plague ,as did all trading regions. The Lombards are the perfect solution; they were recently defeated, meaning they will be loyal to the Emperor who saved them, and can act as a bulwark against the many forces in he East that might want to invade the Empire (Rhomania being one, but also the Avars, Gepids, and anyone else who shows up).

Furthermore, the pure extent of Gotland, as I will deal with in later posts, was too large for the Goths to deal with effectively. This cuts down of their own territory, allows them to concentrate their population more, and also create a loyalty ‘buffer state’ (and I put it that way, because its still technically part of the Empire) between them and their foes. Also, the land is actually pretty good, meaning the Lombards will likely grow and prosper there, depending on the darts history throws at them.

Okay, so this was a shorter entry, but should satisfy a bit of curiosity about what is going on in the wider world of Europe. I still, of course, need to deal with what is going on in Britain, as well as the Avars, needless to say. These, along with the first few years of the reign of Amalaric I (and they be bumpy, let me tell you!), will be dealt with soon.

ingemann

Banned
The last update was quite interesting and it made a lot of sense. One thing through the Rhomanians placed the displaced Heruli in Serbia around Beograd, what happen to them here?

I haven't dealt with the remains of Gaul yet, in any meaningful way, but plan on doing so in the near future. My feeling was that the Bretons wouldn't expand into the entire region because, well, there just aren't THAT many Bretons, unless that all want to flee Britain.

Yes but on the other hand Gaul suffer from twin disasters, a depopulating war and a plague, and the regikon named Gaul on the map did not have a large population the Britain. Plus a lot of Bretons will likely love the idea of receiving "Roman" protection again, rather than continue a losing war against a very unplerasant bunch of Germanic invaders.

I suspect that Theodemir wouldn't be too willing to trust any Frankish settlers at this point, although there were probably refugees which fled there following the collapse the Meroving Frankland during the 540s and 50s.

I agree, the problem is that if he doesn't settle someone there, the Franks move in again, and he also have another problem, Neustria already had a lot of Frankish enclaves and as these are yeomen raather than serfs, they will reproduce faster than their Romance neighbours. At the same time the Goths have destroyed the Romance language strongholds, the cities and towns, so the war and depopulation have strengthen the Frankish position, so the Goths really need to move someone else in.

Likewise, Theodemir wouldn't want to rely on Gothic settlers, as he is worried about spreading the Goths out too thin on the ground (see his efforts to roll back Gothic settlements in Hispania, and to concentrate their settlement within a defined region).

Make sense

I could see Gallo-Romans from Gotland being brought in (which would open up more land for Goths, so its win-win ... it might even be offered to urban dwellers who want to flee the cities after the plagues.), and then allowing the population to naturally rebound.

The problem is that he need yeomen in Gaul, and Gallo-Romans was not yeomen.

The land around Paris will eventually be repopulated, and the city will be rebuilt, in time; but the King isn't in too much a hurry to do so. I figure he rather likes the ruins of Paris standing as a monument of what happens when people cross his family, and, remember, that the province around Paris comes to be known as "The Wasteland" for centuries.

Make sense, plus Paris is really not important, yes it have a good strategic and defensive position, but it's really a town in the middle of a wasteland, it really don't have any importance. So leaving it as ruins make sense, through in time a new town will likely be established there.

My suggestion of settlers in Gaul are these in order of likelihood and how good idea it is to choose them.

Bretons: These have several benefit, they're use to fighting, they like the Roman empire (which the Goths realms now are both de jura and facto). At the same time their primitive decentral state structure mean that they're unlikely to unite and try to throw the Goths out and at the same time make them need the Goths as allies against Frankish expansion.

Alemannians/Swabians: They have a lot of the same thing going for them, warlike primitive decentral structure, of course they have no love of the empire, but make up for it by hating the franks with the fury of a thousand suns. Offer them land and they will settle. They would be my second choice.

Jutes/Angles/Saxons: they have many of the same benefits, but at the same time, they have shown it's really a bad idea to settle them on your land (example; Britain).

Thuringians/Bavarians: With Slavic expansion they're moving around, they could be settled as confederalis in Gaul. My opinion would be that it would be a very bad idea, they have a relative advanced state structure and settle them in Gaul would risk to be as stupid, as it were for the romans to settle the Goths in Roman territories.

The Slavs: Bad idea, too few and too primitive state structure.

There is some debate as to when the High German Sound shifts started. Given the sometimes shift of b to p then it might have started in Lombardic. I have also read that it may started in late Gothic and spread as Gothic was at the time the Prestigious Germanic language.

There is some debate as to when the High German Sound shifts started. Given the sometimes shift of b to p then it might have started in Lombardic. I have also read that it may started in late Gothic and spread as Gothic was at the time the Prestigious Germanic language.

Interesting. I, personally, had never heard the theory of the Gothic connection before. I really wish that I had a better grasp of even basic linguistics, and felt more confident in my kicking around with these Germanic languages.