The Alphabetic Bouts of Cartography: Discussion & Entries

I'll be putting something up by the deadline, just not sure if I have time tonight of if I'll do it tomorrow (I've got the day off tomorrow)

scholar

Banned
Well, here's something.

Something for Something.png

If this is still open 10-12 hours from now, I might post in it. I'm going for a QBAM elections map set in a United Technocracy of Japan :D

scholar

Banned
Could use a bit more explanation?
I want to leave it a mystery, but I'll say a few things: The Soviet Union tore itself apart after centralization efforts by the main party failed and the defeated remnants of the white armies rose up again. China's warlords became a greater problem, as a few attempted to found independent states. The west barely looked at them, Japan did. No war has occurred between the allies and Japan, mainly because Europe was actually quiet and Japan was messing in a corner of the world they turned a blind eye to in much the same way they did with Ethiopia. Granted, cries for intervention have been growing steadily with every passing year.

There's something else that's underlying the scenario, something 'dark'. I won't give that away, for we need a mystery.

Okay, here's something: a Japan that Christianizes and stays open, but a bit less wanked than usual...

Bruce

JapaneseShogunates.png

So, our POD is the success of the German Revolution in 1848, creating a liberal German state and thus less incentive for people to emigrate to the US. This, combined with other effects on European politics, results in less immigration to the US from Europe, and thus (as labor has less competition) less anti-Chinese/Japanese immigration sentiment in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Combined with different World Wars in which the US never fights against Japan, this in particular results in more immigration from Japan to California over the years. The plurality ancestry by county* in 1960 is shown: note that some Census ethnic classifications are different from OTL due to different history.

*OTL counties are used for ease of comparision: county boundaries are much the same in TTL, but are different in some cases.

Alt-ancestry2.png

Last edited:
So, our POD is the success of the German Revolution in 1848, creating a liberal German state and thus less incentive for people to emigrate to the US. This, combined with other effects on European politics, results in less immigration to the US from Europe, and thus (as labor has less competition) less anti-Chinese/Japanese immigration sentiment in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Combined with different World Wars in which the US never fights against Japan, this in particular results in more immigration from Japan to California over the years. The plurality ancestry by county* in 1960 is shown: note that some Census ethnic classifications are different from OTL due to different history.

*OTL counties are used for ease of comparision: county boundaries are much the same in TTL, but are different in some cases.

What, no alternate state borders with a major POD in 1848?
Anyway, a nice unique take on this week's subject.

First, congratulations to tnowacki, for a dominating victory in the ninth round of the Alphabetic Bouts of Cartography, winning the title "Imperator of I!"

Second: Round J is now closed! Get on over to the voting thread and vote!

Third and lastly: the topic for Round K is...

KENYA

The color for this round is: 60C860 (See attached sample.)

Entries will be accepted until 11:59 P.M. Eastern time, November 9th! Good luck and have fun!

ABCcolorK.png

Hmm... no takers so far?

I might try to do something... probably wouldn't post it though unless there's at most one reply by Friday midnight (well, my time zone midnight, 4pm in "Eastern" time... would've used 11pm Eastern but it's 7am here and I'll probably be sleeping), because it's likely to be incredibly awful (both from mapmaking and historical perspectives).

EDIT: If you wonder why I'm so eager to participate despite such an obscure topic - it's basically that there's really no specific field I'm anywhere near an expert in, so whatever map I make would probably be about equally bad whatever the topic is. And for that matter it's very likely that the title at stakes is "King" (well that or "Kaiser" which is almost as good), which would be a pretty decent one to use for the user title :)
As for the "at most one reply" part... well, I doubt my map could possibly win a vote, but if it's the only option around then that's pretty much my only chance to win, and if there's only one other then I just couldn't let the other participant win without a vote... it seems dishonest somehow.

Last edited: