I was actually wondering if there might be a US version of Not the Nine O'Clock News, I'd forgotten there was actually one in OTL!

It's hard to imagine that show without Reagan -- but then again, it's hard to imagine anything from the 1980s without Reagan (as has been pointed out previously in this thread).

I suppose that Diff'rent Strokes could survive relatively unscathed -- except, of course, for that Very Special Episode, but I think the show's "fish-out-of-water" premise would seem... dated by TTL's 1978.

But I'm getting ahead of myself; we're in 1976, not 1978. I think Brainbin's butterflied away The Six Million Dollar Man. Sadly, that probably also butterflies away The Fall Guy, which I remember fondly from my childhood.....

Believe it or not. This also butteflies away the bionic women and the incredible paorodie the bionic thumb. Which influenced Hardware Warz.Which would be a shame.

Andrew T said:
I think Brainbin's butterflied away The Six Million Dollar Man. Sadly, that probably also butterflies away The Fall Guy, which I remember fondly from my childhood.....
The first isn't necessary so, since it's based on a book that's likely still to be written. IMO, the greater emphasis on SF makes it more likely a series is made--& one nearer Caidin's original.:cool:

That could impact "Fall Guy"; IDK enough about Majors' career to know if he'd have gotten the show anyhow. (I agree, I'd kinda miss it, too. Not only because of no Heather Thomas.:cool::p)

Also, another whoism,:p just for cat haters.:eek:

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Funny thought I had: what with shows like The Six Billion Dollar Man not being made and presumably others taking their place, that will have a knockon effect for the British Fleetway comics, which often stole a lot of their ideas from popular American shows of the time and re-set them in Britain and/or with child protagonists to appeal to their target market. For example, their ripoff of The Six Billion Dollar Man was called The Six Billion Dollar Boy, later changed to Super Steve after obvious legal challenges, whose protagonist was called Steve Ford (geddit? :p )

Not something a lot of people will have encountered even in Britain, but it occurred to me...

It's hard to imagine that show without Reagan -- but then again, it's hard to imagine anything from the 1980s without Reagan (as has been pointed out previously in this thread).

I suppose that Diff'rent Strokes could survive relatively unscathed -- except, of course, for that Very Special Episode, but I think the show's "fish-out-of-water" premise would seem... dated by TTL's 1978.

But I'm getting ahead of myself; we're in 1976, not 1978. I think Brainbin's butterflied away The Six Million Dollar Man. Sadly, that probably also butterflies away The Fall Guy, which I remember fondly from my childhood.....

We're in Early 1977 TTL actually.

Something is going to fill the gap left by SNL.
This is very true, and I do have some ideas in mind.

I was actually wondering if there might be a US version of Not the Nine O'Clock News, I'd forgotten there was actually one in OTL!
Wouldn't that be something, if everyone ITTL continually referenced Not the Nine O'Clock News, for example ;)

Well, whatever his eventual fate, Reagan will be the President for at least one year into the 1980s - fittingly enough, for a period that he was not President IOTL :p

Andrew T said:
And if there is no Diff'rent Strokes, that also means no Facts of Life. Otherwise known as the show which launched that overrated actor's career.

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and there you have That Wacky Redhead! :D

Andrew T said:
Very observant! There is no Six Million Dollar Man ITTL - Questor has basically taken its place.

Believe it or not. This also butteflies away the bionic women and the incredible paorodie the bionic thumb. Which influenced Hardware Warz.Which would be a shame.
Welcome aboard, KeeCoyote! You mention Hardware Wars - yet you presume that its source material exists to be parodied ITTL! You never know... :eek:

We're in Early 1977 TTL actually.
The dates I give are general guideposts, and aren't necessarily firm. You'll note that, after my "More to Come" update set in March, 1977, I then opened the subsequent update in May, 1976. Also, in many updates, I describe events taking place months or even years beforehand to establish the topic of discussion. Right now we're at "about" 1976-77.

And, if all goes well, tomorrow we will be seeing the next update! And speaking of popular shows from that era...

Thande

Donor
Wouldn't that be something, if everyone ITTL continually referenced Not the Nine O'Clock News, for example ;)

I know a few people in OTL who reference it a lot,* but it's true that it's never reached the same memetic heights as Monty Python or the Fast Show.

* Main memetic quotes: "Are you a gay Christian?" ; "Get a TV licence--it's cheaper than a funeral" ; "Wild? I was positively livid!" ; and of course the songs such as 'Kinda lingers', 'I like trucking' and so on.

And if there is no Diff'rent Strokes, that also means no Facts of Life. Otherwise known as the show which launched that overrated actor's career.

Mindy Cohn??

(Seriously: I assume you're thinking of George Clooney -- who I think would still make it in Hollywood, all things being equal -- or Molly Ringwald, who very plausibly might not.)

A 1980s without Molly Ringwald might be even more astonishing than a 1980s without Reagan!

Come and Knock on Our Door
Come And Knock On Our Door

The 1970s were an era of great social change; that much was already painfully clear by the midpoint of the “Me Decade”. Popular culture existed to reflect the immediacy and specificity of these changes, and when it was successful, the resulting product was something along the lines of Man About the House. Timely, relatable, and yet deeply funny, much like Till Death Us Do Part and Steptoe and Son before it, this ITV sitcom (produced by its London affiliate, Thames Television) was created and written by Johnnie Mortimer and Brian Cooke. It depicted the lives of three roommates: a single man and two equally single women, none of whom were romantically entangled with each other. Platonic cohabitation was a new phenomenon at the time, and it did not pass without controversy. The farcical tone of the program – a classic comedy of errors, resulting from the male roommate, culinary student Robin Tripp (played by Richard O’Sullivan) lying to his new landlord, George Roper, that he was gay in order to remain living with his two female roommates – nevertheless proved greatly appealing: two spinoffs, one depicting the life of the newly-married Tripp and the other following his landlord and landlady seeking newer pastures, would be produced. Situation comedy also had a long and distinguished tradition in the United States, as did the practice of adaptation. Till Death Us Do Part had become Those Were the Days, and Steptoe and Son had become Sanford and Son – both of these programs reached #1 in the American ratings.

It was Fred Silverman, the President of ABC, who was among the first executives stateside to become aware of
Man About the House. The sexually risqué premise appealed to him, unsurprisingly given his track record with the iconic “jiggle show” The Alley Cats; a variation on the tried-and-tested cop show genre, it contained the added “twist” that all three women on this team of private detectives chose to go without bras. [1] Naturally, it was an instant hit, particularly with the younger male demographic. It made a star producer out of its showrunner, Aaron Spelling, who would use the cachet acquired from this and other, similar programs, to go on and enjoy a long and fruitful career in television, creating a recognizable “brand” in much the same vein as Norman Lear had done before him. But with regards to The Alley Cats specifically, Silverman very much wanted to replicate its demographic success, forever acutely aware of that audience. Even beforehand, he immediately saw the potential of Man About the House being adapted into a series along that similar vein. Like Those Were the Days before it, multiple pilots were shot, though the premises were reworked somewhat with each successive iteration. Surprisingly, each new overhaul brought the prospective series closer to its British inspiration, after starting out with a radical departure in the initial drafts.

Involved almost from the beginning was Desilu Productions. [2] At first, it had been a matter of necessity –
Night Gallery and Mannix were both ending, and the studio needed to put more projects into production to fill their now-vacant lots – but it quickly became clear that most plans for the nebulous series-to-be saw it taking a decidedly wacky direction. Indeed, none other than Lucille Ball herself, aware of her studio’s reputation for farcical comedy of this nature, took an active role in the production process. Her demand for final approval of casting, in particular, raised eyebrows with her right-hand man, Herb Solow, her new middleman Brandon Tartikoff, and Silverman, but the latter grudgingly consented to it. Whether or not Ball knew that her presence in the casting office would intimidate auditionees for the lead role – renamed Robby Tripper, as “Robin” was deemed too childlike or effeminate for American audiences (the most famous Robin in stateside popular culture being a pubescent boy in an elfin costume) [3] – was unknown, but Solow personally suspected as much. Ball always deferred any claims of talent or skill on her own part to her hand-picked associates – so it made perfect sense that she also had a knack for picking actors for the right parts. Accordingly, cast in the linchpin lead role was John Ritter, son of the late Golden Age actor-singer “Tex” Ritter, whose screen test had made Ball burst into raucous laughter (and wheezing, and coughing, and finally tears; a combination of laughter and shortness of breath). [4] Though Ritter was known at the time mostly for dramatic roles, all present agreed that he would be the ideal Robby Tripper. He would prove the glue that would hold the series – which had been given the name Three’s Company – together. The eventual production team that would handle the writing was the trio of Don Nicholl, Mickey Ross, and Bernie West, all of whom had previous experience on Those Were the Days (and later Moving On Up), and would be expected to apply the same due care to their handling of this program.

The brunette character, Chrissy, was brought across the pond more or less wholesale, though the blonde, Jo, was renamed “Janice”, as “Jo” was deemed too reminiscent of Joanie Cunningham, who appeared on
Rock Around the Clock, yet another ABC-Desilu production. [5] Mr. (George) Roper was renamed Arthur, and Mrs. (Mildred) Roper was renamed Eleanor. Mr. Roper was without sexual passion after his long marriage to the still-libidinous “dirty old woman”, Mrs. Roper, who in turn often sought the attentions of Robby Tripper in the classically passive-aggressive fashion. [6] Circumstances would contrive to keep Tripper rooming with Chrissy and Janice until such time as he had completed his education and training as a chef, and could afford to support himself financially. As was the standard for farce, the comedy derived from these contrivances and subsequent misunderstandings, and characters pretending to be what they were not, and then being forced to continue this deception to its breaking point. Given Ritter’s flair for physical comedy, pratfalling was prevalent. Running gags were dime-a-dozen on the show, as they were on all farces, but Robby Tripper could true to his name stumble over that living room couch every episode and make it look as if he had never done it before. His star quality easily outshone that of his castmates. [7]

Perhaps what
Three’s Company would become most famous for behind-the-scenes was the three-way tug-of-war on all sides. The hands-on producers, the studio, and the network all had very different ideas for what kind of show they should be making. It also functioned as a battle of the titans; all three sides had titanic successes to their names that prevented the other two factions from dismissing them out of hand. Silverman wanted to make Three’s Company as similar as possible to The Alley Cats. Sexually risqué content was the wave of the future, in his opinion. Nicholl, Ross, and West were not averse to this – they obviously had little insight into the attitudes of younger women – but Ball most certainly was. [8] I Love Lucy had been a sexless farce, and it remained phenomenally popular, up to and including young audiences. She was not necessarily opposed to sexuality, but surely there could be other ways to keep the audiences laughing. In her mind, the original Man About the House walked a fine line – but what was intended for the blonde bombshell character of Janice leapt over it headfirst. That facet of the debate marked another front in the continuing struggle facing women on television.

Three’s Company
, however, emerged as a smash success, and as the top-rated new ongoing series of the 1976-77 season, landing in the Top 10 overall. [9] Perhaps even more so than Rock Around the Clock, this was the show that helped Desilu shed the “House that Paladin Built” image, moving into sitcoms that adroitly blended the focus on character and continuity of the 1970s with the energy and enthusiasm of Classic TV. Silverman was so pleased by the strong ratings coming on that he immediately green lit production of a Ropers spinoff; however, these plans would be put on hold when most of the production team, including the higher-ups at Desilu, thought it would be better to let the originating program run its course before any talk of spinoffs. [10] Ball, who had heavily retooled The Lucy Show during its run, nevertheless balked at evicting the Ropers. “That would be like getting rid of Fred and Ethel after Little Ricky was born”, she remarked to Tartikoff when he informed her of the idea. Ball was never above calling back to Lucy as a means to settle an argument in the perpetual power struggle with her producers and the network, but it was a strategy with proven results…

---

[1]
The Alley Cats was known IOTL, of course, as Charlie’s Angels.

[2] Why was Desilu involved? That Wacky Redhead IOTL became known as a vociferous defender of
Three’s Company, and particularly Ritter (the two became good friends). Silverman was involved from the very beginning, and therefore the right-of-first-refusal agreement between them would bring this project to the table very early on.

[3] Robin Tripp became Jack Tripper IOTL. “Tripper” was an obvious enough pun on Ritter’s pratfalling as the character, but the switch to “Jack” (a name about equally British and American) does not appear to have a clear explanation in the history books (though “Robin” probably would not have been accepted).

[4] Because she didn’t do any of that in the previous update
;)

[5] IOTL, Jo (renamed “Janet”) and Chrissy saw their hair colours and personalities switch places, due to the convoluted development process. ITTL, the two remain more closely aligned with their counterparts across the Pond. Janice is played by Susan Anton, and Chrissy by Pam Dawber.

[6] IOTL, George became
Stanley Roper, and Mildred became Helen. Norman Fell plays Mr. Roper ITTL (as IOTL), with Betty Garrett playing Mrs. Roper.

[7] In contrast to OTL, where Suzanne Somers as (the blonde) Chrissy became the breakout star, though that ended rather badly.

[8] As noted, That Wacky Redhead was a big fan of
Three’s Company IOTL, so why does she interfere so heavily ITTL? Simple: she’s a studio chief, and she has social responsibilities. Her drive to focus on gender-neutral slapstick will probably serve to make the show age better in the long run, for however many arguments it starts.

[9] It finished at #11 in the 1976-77 season IOTL.

[10] IOTL,
The Ropers, the American analogue to the British George and Mildred, was launched in the 1978-79 season, though actor Norman Fell, who played Mr. Roper, was resistant to this idea; he knew that he had a good thing with Three’s Company and was more than willing to ride it out before taking a chance on a potentially failed spinoff (an eminently sensible decision, given how risky the television industry can be). Sadly, The Ropers was cancelled after two seasons, and the Ropers were permanently replaced on their parent series by Don Knotts (another Desilu veteran, funnily enough) as Mr. Furley.

---

So now we examine the origins of one of the most talked-about series of the late-1970s ITTL (and IOTL):
Three’s Company! Fortunately, I was able to exploit the existing connections already in place to create a show that is largely similar to the OTL version (or unfortunately, as the case may be if youre not a fan, and many people arent). However, in the long run, this version is going to be a somewhat lessinsulting program than the one you might remember. And this feuding is going to be keeping That Wacky Redhead and her studio very busy in the years to come. It can’t all be sunshine and rainbows at Desilu, after all!

Last edited:
Another intriguing post. I'm more familiar with the British show than the US version, so I can't really comment about Three's Company. Hopefully Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce are still cast as the Ropers in the UK show.

two spinoffs, one depicting the life of the newly-married Tripp and the other following his landlord and landlady seeking newer pastures, would be produced.

That's an interesting change to OTL as Robin and Vicky weren't married at the start of Robin's Nest. It was controversial at the time - the creators had to get special permission from the IBA to show an unmarried couple living together. Any particular reason why a more conservative decision was made ITTL ? Butterflies from having a Conservative government in power at the time rather than Labour ?

Cheers,
Nigel.

Another intriguing post. I'm more familiar with the British show than the US version, so I can't really comment about Three's Company. Hopefully Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce are still cast as the Ropers in the UK show.
Agreed.
Saw the "movie" version a couple of months ago and was surprised how funny it still was in parts.

That's an interesting change to OTL as Robin and Vicky weren't married at the start of Robin's Nest. It was controversial at the time - the creators had to get special permission from the IBA to show an unmarried couple living together. Any particular reason why a more conservative decision was made ITTL ? Butterflies from having a Conservative government in power at the time rather than Labour ?

Cheers,
Nigel.

I would assume that having the Tories in power probably had the IBA reject permission leading to them becoming just married. Unfortunately would likely make it less funny. I remember there were a few jokes about people assuming they were married - mixups with the surnames, misheard conversations implying affairs etc.

(Seriously: I assume you're thinking of George Clooney -- who I think would still make it in Hollywood, all things being equal -- or Molly Ringwald, who very plausibly might not.)
I am indeed speaking of the former. Ringwald may have been overexposed for a few years there (though note how rapidly her career imploded after she parted ways with John Hughes following Pretty in Pink in 1986), but I don't think anyone ever heaped upon her anywhere near the hyperbolic overpraise they've showered upon Clooney - who, it should be noted, is not even the most talented performer in his own family - that would be his aunt, Rosemary. Even IOTL, he must have the weakest CV of any major "movie star" in the industry at present. Funny how every other superstar can instantly be identified with one of their iconic film roles, but all he has are sloppy seconds...

Andrew T said:
A 1980s without Molly Ringwald might be even more astonishing than a 1980s without Reagan!
Ah yes, you're Generation X, aren't you? John Hughes movies defined your 1980s. I believe Philip J. Fry put it best: "I can't wait until I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff."

Thank you! The British cast - and the status of both spinoffs - are as IOTL.

NCW8 said:
You are correct, sir - a minor butterfly from the political upheaval ITTL. As you note, there was a great deal of hoop-jumping IOTL, after all.

I would assume that having the Tories in power probably had the IBA reject permission leading to them becoming just married. Unfortunately would likely make it less funny. I remember there were a few jokes about people assuming they were married - mixups with the surnames, misheard conversations implying affairs etc.
Well, we can't have everything being better and/or funnier than IOTL, now can we? ;)

[5] IOTL, Jo (renamed “Janet”) and Chrissy saw their hair colours and personalities switch places, due to the convoluted development process. ITTL, the two remain more closely aligned with their counterparts across the Pond. Note that neither character is played by their OTL performer.

[6] IOTL, George became Stanley Roper, and Mildred became Helen. Again, neither actor is portrayed by his OTL performer.

You're teasing us, Brainbin - who were the actors cast in these roles?

TB-EI

It's quite possible that they were played by an actor who was "unknown" and didn't go anywhere IOTL, but managed to land these roles ITTL.
I agree. We're now about a decade out from the PoD, plenty of time for careers to be dramatically altered. PLus, I've been informed it's a pain to dig up alternate actors for roles and my taste of that process when we talked about recasting Commander Decker for Star Trek: The New Voyages in Eyes (obligatory plug for the Brainbin's recent guest post in that TL) gives me strong anecdotal evidence for it being correct. Unless it's worth the, "Hey, it's that guy/gal!" reaction, I wouldn't see it be worth mentioning. It's research time much better spent on more critical details in my book.

Brainbin said:
the show which launched that overrated actor's career.
Given butterflies, is it out of the question "ER" could be a success? (No, not that one...:rolleyes:) Or is there some author fiat here? (I don't really care, just asking.)
Andrew T said:
Seriously: I assume you're thinking of George Clooney -- who I think would still make it in Hollywood, all things being equal -- or Molly Ringwald, who very plausibly might not.
I tend to agree on both, especially considering how Ringwald just stepped into a career collapsar.:eek::eek:
Andrew T said:
You'd seriously change at least a couple of iconic films.:eek:
Brainbin said:
cast in the linchpin lead role was John Ritter
Not a fan. Nor of the show... I always felt like his style was too broad. Dick Van Dyke could pratfall every show, & I'd believe it. Not Ritter.
Brainbin said:
Norman Fell, who played Mr. Roper, was resistant to this idea; he knew that he had a good thing with Three’s Company and was more than willing to ride it out
A good call. Sometimes, tho, it can undermine a potential spinoff. Have you seen "Arrow"? (I can't find it on cable...) Justin Hartley (I had to look it up...:eek:) refused to do a spin off, stating loyalty to "Smallville". It appears it bit him...:eek:

That Wacky Redhead is closing on a major milestone which, in all likelihood, it will reach within the next 24 hours. But first, my responses to your unanswered questions...

You're teasing us, Brainbin - who were the actors cast in these roles?

TB-EI

It's quite possible that they were played by an actor who was "unknown" and didn't go anywhere IOTL, but managed to land these roles ITTL.

I agree. We're now about a decade out from the PoD, plenty of time for careers to be dramatically altered. PLus, I've been informed it's a pain to dig up alternate actors for roles and my taste of that process when we talked about recasting Commander Decker for Star Trek: The New Voyages in Eyes (obligatory plug for the Brainbin's recent guest post in that TL) gives me strong anecdotal evidence for it being correct. Unless it's worth the, "Hey, it's that guy/gal!" reaction, I wouldn't see it be worth mentioning. It's research time much better spent on more critical details in my book.
vultan and e of pi both have it - every role other than that held by John Ritter has been recast with nobody in particular ITTL. Well, strictly speaking, Mr. and Mrs. Roper are both middle-aged character actors; they are not, however, Norman Fell and Audra Lindley (I came very close to keeping Fell on, too, as I thought that he deserved it, given his OTL circumstances - but I thought that casting Ritter alone was enough of a stretch). Neither Joyce DeWitt nor (especially) Suzanne Somers would have been cast with a POD ten years out, so you can assume that any two women at least as attractive as they were, and in their age range, could have taken their parts.

Given butterflies, is it out of the question "ER" could be a success? (No, not that one...:rolleyes:)
Hold that thought. You'll find out sooner than you might think...

phx1138 said:
Or is there some author fiat here? (I don't really care, just asking.)
Considering just how many chances Clooney got to become a big star IOTL, I'm actually quite suspicious that he had blackmail material or the like, because anyone else would have been written off years before. Surely his nepotistic connections to the far-more-talented Rosemary Clooney couldn't have played a part, could they? More likely, he got his hands on some very incriminating photos...

phx1138 said:
I tend to agree on both, especially considering how Ringwald just stepped into a career collapsar.:eek::eek:
And who knows how much longer she would have lasted, had she acceded to appear in Some Kind of Wonderful (Lea Thompson was cast in her stead).

phx1138 said:
Not a fan. Nor of the show... I always felt like his style was too broad. Dick Van Dyke could pratfall every show, & I'd believe it. Not Ritter.
Why am I not surprised? ;)

phx1138 said:
A good call. Sometimes, tho, it can undermine a potential spinoff. Have you seen "Arrow"? (I can't find it on cable...) Justin Hartley (I had to look it up...:eek:) refused to do a spin off, stating loyalty to "Smallville". It appears it bit him...:eek:
From what I recall, Smallville didn't exactly have the best track record when it came to potential spinoffs anyway...

vultan and e of pi both have it - every role other than that held by John Ritter has been recast with nobody in particular ITTL. Well, strictly speaking, Mr. and Mrs. Roper are both middle-aged character actors; they are not, however, Norman Fell and Audra Lindley (I came very close to keeping Fell on, too, as I thought that he deserved it, given his OTL circumstances - but I thought that casting Ritter alone was enough of a stretch). Neither Joyce DeWitt nor (especially) Suzanne Somers would have been cast with a POD ten years out, so you can assume that any two women at least as attractive as they were, and in their age range, could have taken their parts.

Fair enough; it just seemed odd that a discussion of one of the breakout hits of the TV season would mention the names of only one of the actors. Versimilitude might suggest made-up names with a footnote that these are not OTL actors.

TB-ES