Thank you all for the kind words and the likes re: The Pitch, which in addition to being an April Fools post I've been cooking for some time, is (yes) in part an announcement of my next project, A Shot in the Dark, which uses the very POD described by Cal Baxter, Jr. who (along with his father) you might call my own alter-ego ITTL. Expect it later this year, hopefully in the next few months. And honestly I did like the idea of a coda set in the "present", albeit one wholly divorced from our own reality in 2020. Had Desilu continued to exist and maintain its pioneering, risk-taking spirit, I have no doubt it would have blazed the trail on streaming services, and no doubt done a much better job of exploiting Star Trek in that medium than a certain other organization I won't name. (Although it is nice to see they've finally made the beloved fanon character Lt. Mary Sue canon after all these decades. Gee, golly, gosh, gloriosky.) I don't intend to continue exploring the world of TWR in 2020 but I certainly hope you all enjoyed reading this vignette as much as much I enjoyed writing it!

Also, for those who are interested, I've been posting a mirror of this timeline to Sea Lion Press for some time, still in progress.

Take care, everyone, and be safe and healthy. And if you can, stay home! I mean, shouldn't be difficult for people like us... ;)

2AF1DF3E-EACF-40D3-BDAF-AFEB2A0691C3.jpeg

Saw this, thought of this thread.
Thank you again @Brainbin for an Epic read.

“The studio hired him [Roddenberry] to work on a script for a film that would cost no more than $3 million. Some months later, when William Shatner (also known as Captain Kirk) was on the Paramount lot starring in a television series called Barbary Coast, he dropped by the former Star Trek soundstages. He found them empty and strewn with trash. Then he heard the sound of typing coming from Roddenberry’s old office. When he went to investigate, he was shocked to see Roddenberry pounding at the keyboard with an unfiltered Camel cigarette hanging from his mouth. “Hey, Gene!” he called out. “Didn’t anybody tell you? We got canceled!”
The Keys to the Kingdom by Kim Masters

It’s a pity we lost that ITTL, but I suppose that wacky redhead made up for it in other ways

I'm still on page 44 of the default view, and thus nearly nine years behind the conversation, but I just wanted to say that I love this timeline and I'm probably going to spend the rest of my Sunday reading it, if the fact that I spent most of my Saturday getting this far is any indication! Fantastic, imaginative, and plausible stuff, and I love all the divergences so far. Bravo!

Captain's Log, Stardate 1513.1. Our position: orbiting planet M-113. Onboard the​
Enterprise:​
Mr. Spock, temporarily in command. On the planet: the ruins of an ancient and long-dead civilization. Ship's Surgeon McCoy and myself are now beaming down to the planet's surface. Our mission: routine medical examination... of archaeologist Robert Crater and his wife Nancy. Routine but for the fact that Nancy Crater is that one woman in Dr. McCoy's past...​
By sheer coincidence, I watched "The Man Trap" just last night, the day before I finished reading the original content of this thread.

Final thoughts, now that I'm all caught up:

Wonderful. I have no doubt that our tastes differ (you seemed almost miffed no-one was bemoaning the loss of The Brady Bunch at the start) but this is a fantastic achievement, and has kept me spellbound the whole way through.

Callous as it may seem, my immediate thought on a POD for an improved version of the Eighties/Nineties Star Trek series would simply be to have Gene Roddenberry's substance abuse catch up with him a little sooner - get him and his lawyer out of the actual production of the new shows, things could be different; no Wesley (though I have much more time for him than most fans who were teenagers or older in 1987), no mandate against interpersonal conflict . . . I don't know enough to write it, mind you!

Not that anyone's updating the stats, but I was born in 1980, I'm from Melbourne, Australia, Leonard Nimoy's Australian accent is the worst thing he ever did on camera, and my favourite episodes of Star Trek are as follows:

• "Mirror, Mirror"
  • "Balance of Terror"
  • "Amok Time"
  • "Wolf in the Fold"
  • "Space Seed"
I can't remember if I'm the only person to nominate "Wolf in the Fold", but I'll just say that it's bizarre that Robert Bloch never wrote a script for my favourite program filmed in black and white, The Twilight Zone.

Is there a common thread in my favourite episodes? If so, I'd say it's the hook or the "high concept": the evil counterparts of our heroes, the space version of a submarine hunt (plus the supporting idea of fighting a whole war against a species you've never seen), the customs and mores of an alien society, what if Jack the Ripper was an immortal demon, how would you deal with finding History's Sexiest Dictator and his pals frozen in cryonic sleep . . .

Sorry to anyone who might have been expecting a repeat of last year's April Fools post, but sadly the circumstances were not conducive.

My congratulations to @zomfies for reading through the whole thread - all 241 pages - even though I went to the trouble of creating all these threadmarks just so that nobody would ever have to do that again :p
Wonderful. I have no doubt that our tastes differ (you seemed almost miffed no-one was bemoaning the loss of The Brady Bunch at the start) but this is a fantastic achievement, and has kept me spellbound the whole way through.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Honestly I was more surprised than anything else that the absence of The Brady Bunch went without comment, considering how indelible a mark that series has left on our culture. I for one grew up in the long shadow cast by its legacy (as my mother is the same age as the Brady Kids and watched the show first-run in the early 1970s, and Barry Williams' memoir Growing Up Brady is a book I had fond memories of reading at far too young an age. 30 years on I still have the worn, dog-eared paperback in my possession, with this autograph: Here's the stry - Barry Williams. Yes, [sic].

But my readers, needless to say, were far more interested in the fates of Hogan's Heroes, Family Affair, Hogan's Heroes, The Odd Couple, Hogan's Heroes, and also Hogan's Heroes...

Callous as it may seem, my immediate thought on a POD for an improved version of the Eighties/Nineties Star Trek series would simply be to have Gene Roddenberry's substance abuse catch up with him a little sooner - get him and his lawyer out of the actual production of the new shows, things could be different; no Wesley (though I have much more time for him than most fans who were teenagers or older in 1987), no mandate against interpersonal conflict . . . I don't know enough to write it, mind you!
I keep telling everyone who writes 1980s pop culture TLs to cancel it after the second season. Nobody does. Sometimes I wonder if they just want me to write it.

Not that anyone's updating the stats, but I was born in 1980, I'm from Melbourne, Australia, Leonard Nimoy's Australian accent is the worst thing he ever did on camera, and my favourite episodes of Star Trek are as follows:
I nearly forgot that conversation! Please tell me you were unaware of Nimoy's accent before you found this thread... nah, it's probably like the Aussie equivalent of Dick van Dyke's wretched Cockney, passed into legend at this point...

• "Mirror, Mirror"
  • "Balance of Terror"
  • "Amok Time"
  • "Wolf in the Fold"
  • "Space Seed"
I can't remember if I'm the only person to nominate "Wolf in the Fold", but I'll just say that it's bizarre that Robert Bloch never wrote a script for my favourite program filmed in black and white, The Twilight Zone.
A solid list. You are the third person to cast a ballot for "Wolf in the Fold". It is bizarre that Bloch never wrote for Serling's Twilight Zone considering that Trek sourced several other writers who did (Matheson, Johnson). He never wrote for The Outer Limits either (unlike one H. Ellison) which really seems right up his alley. No matter. I'm not overly fond of any of Bloch's three scripts for the show but "Wolf on the Fold" is a pretty decent Scotty showcase and John "Piglet" Fiedler is a lot of fun as Hengist.

Is there a common thread in my favourite episodes? If so, I'd say it's the hook or the "high concept": the evil counterparts of our heroes, the space version of a submarine hunt (plus the supporting idea of fighting a whole war against a species you've never seen), the customs and mores of an alien society, what if Jack the Ripper was an immortal demon, how would you deal with finding History's Sexiest Dictator and his pals frozen in cryonic sleep . . .
Intriguing self-analysis. I've mentioned before that my favourite episodes are usually the "trapped in a tin can" stories - "Doomsday Machine", "Mirror, Mirror", "Corbomite", "Balance of Terror", "Babel", "The Immunity Syndrome". Iconic as beaming down and landing parties are on Star Trek they're not really what appeal to me, it seems.

I feel obliged to point out that this year marks the tenth anniversary of this timeline. A lot has happened in my life since 2011, as I'm sure is true for most of you as well. A lot has changed about Hollywood too, and how we perceive it. I'm very fortunate that I was able to write TWR in a more... naive, for lack of a better word, time. That said if I ever do rewrite it, I think I can give Carole Lombard a much better reason to convince TWR to stay put...

But my readers, needless to say, were far more interested in the fates of Hogan's Heroes, Family Affair, Hogan's Heroes, The Odd Couple, Hogan's Heroes, and also Hogan's Heroes...
Also Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Hogan's Heroes.
I keep telling everyone who writes 1980s pop culture TLs to cancel it after the second season. Nobody does. Sometimes I wonder if they just want me to write it.
Or just because it produced so much good stuff that they can't bear to kill it off in its awkward stages.
Personally, even before I butterflied it entirely, I was more in the mind of "take some of the paths not taken" castingwise and go from there.

I feel obliged to point out that this year marks the tenth anniversary of this timeline.
🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
Happy Anniversary!!!

An 80’s pop culture timeline written by you? I’d sacrifice TNG for that cos I am sure it would be epic- and even if TNG failed Trek would be back in some form in that time period...

Ten years already... wow.

This is an epic TL, Brainbin. My questions are about the PoD.

How did you ensure that Desilu remained in Lucille Ball's hands? Wouldn't Bluhdorn (who was one of the richest men in the world at the time) simply just buy her out without more financial muscle coming to Lucy's aid? Desilu started losing money after Lucy divorced Desi Arnaz, and IRL, Lucy was looking for a way out of being a corporate CEO because she didn't enjoy it much. Did Lucy stay married to Desi, the sharp businessman who knew the money side of things, or did she find another husband who had more financial muscle who was able to resist the Paramount buyout and understood the TV business? IRL, Lucy married Gary Morton, a comedian who did not understand how to run a studio and Desilu took a big hit for this in the early 60s.

Even with the success of Mission: Impossible and the so so success of Star Trek at the time, Desilu was bleeding money badly producing both shows. That's part of the reason why Lucy got out IRL. What makes up for those losses she was taking on her bottom line?

Last edited:
As the 10th anniversary of this TL (!!!) is fast approaching, I thought on this, the 55th anniversary of the world premiere of Star Trek (when it was broadcast over Canadian airwaves, two days before it first aired on NBC), I would reminisce about those halcyon early days - in this case February of 2012, the peak of the "first wave" of pop culture TLs on this site. What a heady couple of weeks those were! As some of you may know, there is a federal election currently underway in Canada, called by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, which may very well see him lose office. It just so happens that I changed the result of the 1972 federal election, which IOTL his father Pierre Elliott Trudeau won, but which ITTL saw him lose office. The topicality! The potential for parallels! How could I resist?

Here is a link to the original update, and here is a link to a valuable resource which was not available to me at the time of writing, called election-atlas.ca. At the original time of writing, my primary resource was the Library of the Parliament of Canada, which while complete and accurate was rather cumbersome to search through. (It appears they've overhauled their presentation since then, but my link has pretty pictures, so I'll continue to suggest using that.)

The OTL result of the 1972 federal election is as follows: Liberal 109 (38.42%), Progressive Conservative 107 (35.02%), New Democratic 31 (17.83%), Social Credit 15 (7.55%), independents and others 2 (1.19%). This is numerically the closest result between the top two parties in Canadian history. The closest electoral district (or riding) saw the Liberal candidate triumph by four votes over his Tory (PC) opponent, which had it gone differently would have resulted in a 108-108 tie. What would have put them in the lead? Well, the next-closest riding saw the NDP candidate triumph by a mere 23 votes over his Tory opponent. Flip that one too and we have 109-108-30, changing only 15 votes (3 + 12). Remember, every vote really can count!

Still, that's not what I decided to do. Although I would probably have written the 1972 result differently today with my current knowledge and experience, I'll re-create what was going on in my mind in 2012 first. As I mentioned in the original post, the lack of Nixon as a foil for Trudeau hinders him considerably - especially since the draft dodgers have surely been recalled and pardoned by Humphrey. IOTL, Trudeau's 1972 campaign was considered quite weak (their slogan was "The Land is Strong"), but of course the charismatic Trudeau's opponent was Robert Stanfield, one of a great many black holes of charisma to sit on the opposition benches. And he nearly won anyway!

The result ITTL was Progressive Conservative 123 (37.31%), Liberal 92 (36.42%), New Democratic 28 (17.32%), and Social Credit 19 (8.01%), along with the two independents that won IOTL: Roch LaSalle (Joliette, Quebec), a former (and future) Tory who left the party over the official bilingualism issue; and Lucien Lamoreux (Stormont--Dundas, Ontario), who had decided to follow the British custom and left the Liberal caucus when he was appointed Speaker of the House of Commons (which only he ever copied IOTL, and which was not respected by any opposing party, all of whom ran candidates against him).

The "art" of changing results in first-past-the-post elections is that "uniform swing" doesn't work much better than it would for making assumptions about the current election results by applying one to the numbers from the last election. So here is what I changed, and why:

Atlantic Provinces
At the time I assumed that Stanfield, being from Nova Scotia, had already maximized the Tories in that part of Canada IOTL and that there was little room for improvement there for him. In addition, north and east New Brunswick is largely francophone, and naturally the Tories would not be likely to do well there as a result of their policy on Official Bilingualism (as was the case IOTL). One riding (Cardigan) in PEI was relatively close (Liberals won by only 3.5%), and in fact it was a Liberal pickup from '68 (the Tory incumbent stood down), but I decided not to nudge it because of the "Stanfield maximalist" effect. In retrospect I probably would have given it to the PCs.
N/C

Quebec
I've mentioned Georges Valade of Sainte-Marie in Montreal several times - and he's a weird one. He withstood Trudeaumania in '68 only to lose in '72 IOTL, though he kept it very close (as he did in a '74 takeback attempt). Official Bilingualism may have been an issue (as he represented a Francophone East Island riding), but I think if Stanfield is far enough ahead in the campaign the idea of Canada's biggest city electing a representative to have the Prime Minister's ear will prove appealing (hey, it worked in Alberta during the Chretien-Martin years IOTL). And of course Stanfield stumping for the Montreal Olympics and giving Valade that brief will pay dividends.

The next-closest seat for the Tories was Chicoutimi, which they lost by eight points IOTL (in a rematch from '68, where the same candidate lost by fifteen). As with Valade, the Tory candidate (Jean-Marc Lavoie) tried again in '74 only to lose by 20 points, but in that campaign it was clear that Trudeau was going to win back his majority, and there was no point to electing a Tory. My reasoning was, if the Tories are winning Chicoutimi in '72 they're probably winning a majority. So I decided to hold off and have Lavoie pick up the seat in '74 ITTL.

Then there are les Creditistes, who flipped their three closest seats ITTL (Beauce, Frontenac, and Riviere-du-Loup), all of which they lost IOTL by less than two points. (It should be worth noting, BTW, that the Creditiste heartlands of the 1960s and '70s overlap considerably with the present-day areas of Conservative strength in la belle province IOTL.) In addition, they also won Trois-Rivieres Metropolitain ITTL; the Liberals won it by six points IOTL but this followed a '71 by-election which was closer (less than five points) and which went the other way ITTL.
+1 PC, +4 SC, -5 Lib from OTL

Ontario
The bulk of the changed seats happened in this vote-rich province, mostly in the Greater Toronto Area, but with a few outposts elsewhere in Southern Ontario.

The bellwethers: Sarnia--Lambton, Kitchener, and Peterborough all generally vote for the winner (especially in this era), and all went narrowly Liberal IOTL so all would have to go PC ITTL to "make it right", and so I moved them.
Most of the flips were in Toronto, a traditionally conservative area - in '68, for the first time (and not the last), the Liberals would win every riding in what was then called Metro Toronto. The Tories won back several seats IOTL but I thought their return should have been more complete, so they picked up York North, York--Scarborough, Eglinton, Rosedale, and Etobicoke. The neighbouring riding of Ontario (yes, I know it's confusing - today it's part of Durham Region), which is the famous four-vote-margin victory for the Liberals, naturally went PC ITTL, as did Ottawa Centre, London East, and Bruce. As I mentioned in the TL proper, future OTL NDP leader Ed Broadbent lost his seat of Oshawa--Whitby ITTL, as he came close to doing several times IOTL. However, I generally left Northern Ontario, which strikes me as less amenable to someone like Stanfield, alone despite there being a number of relatively close ones for the Tories in that part of the province. This is consistent with the PCs being weak there in general.
+13 PC, -12 Lib, -1 NDP from OTL

The Prairies
In two prairie seats, the NDP beat the Tories by fewer than 50 votes IOTL. Naturally, I flipped both of them: Selkirk, Manitoba and Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan.
+2 PC, -2 NDP from OTL

British Columbia
I could have had the Tories pick up a couple more seats here from the NDP, but the Dippers tend to be curiously strong in BC even in bad years elsewhere (even in '93 IOTL they still won two of their nine ridings here) and Stanfield, being from literally the opposite end of the country, would have limited appeal.
N/C

And thus concludes my analysis! And not a moment too soon. Inspired by @e of pi and @Workable Goblin over on Eyes Turned Skyward, I plan on posting a special retrospective once this TL reaches its tenth anniversary. I'm also happy to answer any questions you new or longtime readers might have about the project as part of that retrospective, so feel free to ask!

And now to catch up on past correspondence...
This is an epic TL, Brainbin.
Thank you! And it's good to see another take on one of my fundamental objectives with your own TL! My apologies for the delayed response.
How did you ensure that Desilu remained in Lucille Ball's hands? Wouldn't Bluhdorn (who was one of the richest men in the world at the time) simply just buy her out without more financial muscle coming to Lucy's aid? Desilu started losing money after Lucy divorced Desi Arnaz, and IRL, Lucy was looking for a way out of being a corporate CEO because she didn't enjoy it much. Did Lucy stay married to Desi, the sharp businessman who knew the money side of things, or did she find another husband who had more financial muscle who was able to resist the Paramount buyout and understood the TV business? IRL, Lucy married Gary Morton, a comedian who did not understand how to run a studio and Desilu took a big hit for this in the early 60s.

Even with the success of Mission: Impossible and the so so success of Star Trek at the time, Desilu was bleeding money badly producing both shows. That's part of the reason why Lucy got out IRL. What makes up for those losses she was taking on her bottom line?
I mention this briefly in the TL proper, but part of the "consolation" deal That Wacky Redhead signs with Bluhdorn is that Paramount pays for the right of first refusal on the rental of Desilu's considerable studio space. Given just how much studio space Desilu has at this time (Gower, Cahuenga, and of course Forty Acres in Culver City), this is a considerable sum which helps cover costs for long enough that Star Trek and especially Mission: Impossible start to catch on with audiences (Mission: Impossible was #11 in 1968-69, and Top 10 ITTL), And then of course in the early '70s the shows she so carefully nurtured through the lean years are sold into syndication and it's basically a licence to print money. Also ITTL she demanded - and got - more money from CBS to produce a sixth season of The Lucy Show and made a mint when she sold it into syndication in 1968. It's not I Love Lucy money or anything but it'll do. (If necessary I could - hypothetically - retcon out the sixth season of The Lucy Show and have her sell the five seasons into syndication in '67, that should take care of her cash flow problems.)

One Half-Score Ago...

Ten years ago on this very day, to the hour, to the minute, I posted the very first update of a project that would consume my life for the better part of the next half-decade, and I like to think it made an impact on what came after. Being a fan of popular culture, I can certainly tell you that so-called creative "innovation" is an inherently iterative process, not unlike scientific discovery in fact (h/t Provost Zakharov). I was certainly inspired by those who came before me. But to get into that mindset I should take you back to those long-ago days, in the eleventh month of the eleventh year (minus one) of the twenty-first century…

I discovered alternate history in university in the late 2000s. I found that wiki first, but eventually I found myself here, which was for the better. Even back then, this forum and its members prided themselves on nurturing elite, plausible, realistic, and well-written AH, and ruthlessly and relentlessly critiqued anything that did not meet their exacting standards. To be honest, I'm not sure why I ever got the itch to post here, given my shyness and my total lack of publication at that juncture, online or otherwise, for any of my creative endeavours. Not that I had a very good track record completing such endeavours either way; like so many before and since I would inevitably find myself bogged down in the details, so focused on world-building and refinement that the plot never even got going, let alone went anywhere.

One of this forum's great strengths has always been the dazzling diversity of perspectives and experiences brought to it by the members. A lot of the TLs I fondly remember from those days are, appropriately enough, products of their time. Still, like all reruns, there's great value in going back to them - for nostalgia, to learn from the past, even just to appreciate a creative work at face value. Until I published my work myself I could never understand why people would want to take down their old works. Now I understand, and certainly in the years since 2011 we've all come to appreciate having our past come back to haunt us. But I've always taken a "warts and all" view of things past - better to see things how they really were than how we'd like them be, we are history enthusiasts after all, and the truth will out. That Wacky Redhead will be here for as long as those in charge are willing to host it, and in addition, you can also find it on Sea Lion Press, now complete and unabridged.

But looking back to those times can give you some perspective on my mindset as I conceived TWR, and what my goals were. As I've said, all creative works are the product of their time.

To be honest TWR was a happy accident. At the time, and to this day, I am an enthusiast of earlier eras of history than the 20th century. A TL about an alternate late reign of Henry VIII and the Tudor dynasty got me to delurk, after all, so captivated I was by it. I've long been a fan of Arthur Tudor, first son of Henry VII and first husband of Catherine of Aragon, and thought it was high time to write a TL about him. There didn't seem to be any others around, at least not recent ones.

In retrospect - really, even at the time - I knew I would probably never post such a TL on the forum. I'd have been eaten alive by the rigorous and unforgiving critics, and rightly so. But either way, the point was moot when - during the critical period while I was still entertaining the notion that my Arthur Tudor TL would soon see the light of day - someone else posted one instead.

Ironically, it hasn't been updated since 2011.

But it meant I had to shelve my Arthur idea - I had no intention of going head to head with a superior, experienced TL writer who had no doubt done way more research than I had. So I turned to another idea I'd been kicking around. It was more for my own amusement, as my love of TV and movie trivia and pop culture in general had been for me since childhood. I once memorized the winners of every major Oscar for 75 years straight. I could tell you which shows were #1 on the air for every broadcast season. All time highest grossing films, before and after adjusting for inflation. I was passionate and knowledgeable about these things. I had ego enough to believe would bring something to table in writing a TL about them that nobody else would. And I was paranoid enough to believe that, since someone had beaten me to the punch with my first idea, someone might do the same with this one, too. And leave me to simmer and stew as they did it all wrong.

Well, I wasn't going to be having any of that.

I started sketching out some overarching plot lines, some throughlines if you will, but I knew I couldn't get bogged down in the details. I had to write by the seat of my pants, or I wouldn't get anything written at all. Luckily for me, it was the autumn, and National Novel Writing Month was just around the corner. Surely contributing 50,000 words towards this project would put a huge dent into its word count? (Ha! In the end I wrote enough for eight years worth of NaNoWriMo.)

I knew my TL idea was… esoteric to say the least. AH.com was, and certainly remains to this day but way more back then, dominated by war-and-politics-oriented TLs. I get it; they're the meat and potatoes of AH and popular culture is an especially sugary dessert. Still, it seemed to me that a little dessert wouldn't hurt anyone. What those who weren't there may not appreciate was that dystopia was in back then; just about the most popular TL going was about a nuclear holocaust and it had multiple spinoffs set in the same universe but written by different authors and focused on their own respective parts of the world. Remember that old joke about there being 500 channels and all of them were showing the same thing? Well by my reckoning, it was time for some counter-programming.

Still, I had to make some concessions to attract attention for what, I was sure, would be a little-read and mostly-ignored TL. In a way the limited potential readership suited me; this was my first project and it would likely be beneath the notice of the critical droves at any rate. But I did want some readers. I wasn't faced with the threat of cancellation like so many low-rated programs before me, but the whole point of publishing my work was to attain some feedback, right?

My biggest early change, and the one for which I think this TL is best-known - the election of Humphrey over Nixon - was done because a) it was easily achieved and flowed logically and naturally from the POD and b) being exposed to baby boomer culture all my life I was (much like Queen in "Bicycle Race") quite thoroughly sick of Vietnam and Watergate and didn't want to write about either of them at all. Humphrey meant the overseas quagmire was done and dusted before the decade was out (before Kennedy's own dream of a moon landing, in fact). And Watergate remained a hotel complex and nothing more, and I'd spared the good inhabitants of this TL the dreary fate of every scandal being suffixed by "-gate" ever after. As for Humphrey over someone like RFK? Well, at the time, "President RFK" TLs were the province of one particular (and prolific) author and I didn't want to step on any toes.

Of course the change also convincingly proved the thesis of this TL, that popular culture matters, that it makes a difference, quite eloquently. Some might say that 15 minutes of the Battle of Antietam were more important than the entire run of I Love Lucy. That may be true, but today you can only watch one of them, on demand, and share the experience of all those who have seen it in the last 70 years, spanning generations of people. Well, of course you can experience the Battle of Antietam through a series of slow pans across still images to the wistful strains of “Ashokan Farewell”. Which only serves to prove my point further: people see the American Civil War through The Civil War, a documentary series by Ken Burns which aired on public television.

I planned other stunts to draw reader attention. One I kept in my back pocket for a while was the Star Trek-Doctor Who crossover. I held onto that one for so long, in fact, that TWR was already quite popular when it was time to execute, and I considered sitting in it for that reason. But in the end I greedily figured surely it would make the TL even more popular if it went ahead, so why not pull the string? So I did. In retrospect, I should not have done it, and if I ever reboot or relaunch TWR, it will not be included. Although I don't think I ever will. We've all exhorted those in charge of such things to leave them alone, to let them be and let them lie. I alone have the power to do so in this case, and I intend to take full advantage.

Some changes I anticipated making waves. The butterflying away of The Brady Bunch went with far less complaint than I had expected. By contrast, Hogan's Heroes, a show whose trajectory went entirely unchanged from OTL, was the subject of robust and continuous discussion. Deciding to kill off a popular character did meet with the reaction I expected, though the tragedy of reality imitating fiction added a wrinkle I did not expect - that nobody could. Within the narrative itself I like the cautionary tale the shocking and unexpected death created- one which has been sadly demonstrated many times to us IOTL as well.

This project was written and completed during a time of relative innocence - or perhaps willful naivete is more accurate. It was completed in 2016, one year before a wave of social revolution would sweep Hollywood and take down many titans who were allowed to carry on with their malicious and predatory behaviours for years, if not decades, with their peers - even the ones who most loudly and vociferously championed justice and equality - cheerfully looking the other way. If I did rewrite TWR it would be from a very different perspective, taking the hypocrisy exposed by these revelations into account - and that would be a much more intense and emotionally taxing project for me to write. One more reason I feel it best to regard it as a product of its time.

What I have gained most from posting TWR to this forum are the collaborations, the camaraderie, and above all the friendships I've formed. To borrow from a catchphrase used by a character I've (mostly) butterflied away ITTL, the people here truly are "finest kind". One only need to compare to the kinds of characters on social media to prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I already went through the roster with my acknowledgements in the update that ended this timeline and the list has not changed since then. It only makes me appreciate further how special this place and the people who contribute to it truly are - warts and all.

That Wacky Redhead has been credited as having begat the deluge of pop culture TLs that have followed in its wake. Like most "pioneers", it really wasn't the first - I can point to several antecedents that inspired me in several different ways - but it was what I like to call "the last to be the first", not unlike a little sitcom called I Love Lucy, in fact. And like all who followed her, what we've seen in the last ten years has truly run the gamut - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

My advice for anyone who would want to write a popular culture TL - or any TL, for that matter - is the same. Write about something you're passionate and knowledgeable about. If it's not fairly original as a concept, then at least make sure you can bring something to table in a way nobody else can. Write towards a definitive ending unless you plan to remain open-ended, but try to write spontaneously as much as you can, and be flexible enough to accommodate new ideas and research you might uncover along the way. Presidents Reagan and Glenn, for example, were planned from the outset, as was the "microwave power disaster movie". But the Argentine War and the spoof movie it inspired came along quite late in the game. I'm very glad I was able to include them, especially since they added resonance to the relationship with the Soviets and the situation in Iran and Afghanistan.

Be open to critique and be willing to shore up weaknesses by consulting with those whom you know to be strong in those areas. Sometimes such individuals might come to you seeking your advice. And that's just too good an opportunity to pass up. Quid quo pro worked for Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling and it can work for you too. Chianti and fava beans optional. But on the same token, hold your ground and stick to your guns. Try not to take too many requests, if any at all. A TL should have a strong authorial voice, and that voice should be yours. That's why you wanted to write it in the first place.

During the writing of this TL, and in the years since, many of its protagonists, who were still with us when it began, have passed away. Mr. Herbert F. Solow, a viewpoint character for the entire duration, is first among these. But we also lost Dorothy Fontana, meaning that all of the "Big Five" are no longer with us. On the other hand, I never thought that I would be writing about William Shatner, the bona fide Rocket Man, still alive at age 90 and now the oldest man who has ever been in space. Reality truly is stranger than fiction. This is just one of the many demonstrations of this dictum in the decade since I began writing this timeline.

As for me, I was an undergraduate when I started writing TWR, and have since graduated, earned my degree, and have been part of the workforce ever since. This is why the updates were rather sluggish those last couple years or so. I don't know if I'll ever post another TL - I've had something in the works for a while, but as every creator knows, having a tough act to follow is a while other ballgame from being an unknown with nothing to lose and something to prove. Going back to Star Trek, I think one of the many reasons the episode "The Ultimate Computer" resonates so strongly is its portrayal of Dr. Richard Daystrom, haunted by his early, youthful success he never could move away from for all the trying he did. But duotronics were a success, and nobody could ever take that away from him. Maybe he should have appreciated what he had. But Star Trek always taught us to aim beyond our reach. Or as another great teacher once said: take chances, make mistakes, get messy!

I like to think I did all three. And I'd like to thank you all for coming along for the ride. And for all the great observations you made en route to our destination. I couldn't have asked for a finer group of passengers.

-- Brainbin

One Half-Score Ago...

Ten years ago on this very day, to the hour, to the minute, I posted the very first update of a project that would consume my life for the better part of the next half-decade, and I like to think it made an impact on what came after. Being a fan of popular culture, I can certainly tell you that so-called creative "innovation" is an inherently iterative process, not unlike scientific discovery in fact (h/t Provost Zakharov). I was certainly inspired by those who came before me. But to get into that mindset I should take you back to those long-ago days, in the eleventh month of the eleventh year (minus one) of the twenty-first century…

I discovered alternate history in university in the late 2000s. I found that wiki first, but eventually I found myself here, which was for the better. Even back then, this forum and its members prided themselves on nurturing elite, plausible, realistic, and well-written AH, and ruthlessly and relentlessly critiqued anything that did not meet their exacting standards. To be honest, I'm not sure why I ever got the itch to post here, given my shyness and my total lack of publication at that juncture, online or otherwise, for any of my creative endeavours. Not that I had a very good track record completing such endeavours either way; like so many before and since I would inevitably find myself bogged down in the details, so focused on world-building and refinement that the plot never even got going, let alone went anywhere.

One of this forum's great strengths has always been the dazzling diversity of perspectives and experiences brought to it by the members. A lot of the TLs I fondly remember from those days are, appropriately enough, products of their time. Still, like all reruns, there's great value in going back to them - for nostalgia, to learn from the past, even just to appreciate a creative work at face value. Until I published my work myself I could never understand why people would want to take down their old works. Now I understand, and certainly in the years since 2011 we've all come to appreciate having our past come back to haunt us. But I've always taken a "warts and all" view of things past - better to see things how they really were than how we'd like them be, we are history enthusiasts after all, and the truth will out. That Wacky Redhead will be here for as long as those in charge are willing to host it, and in addition, you can also find it on Sea Lion Press, now complete and unabridged.

But looking back to those times can give you some perspective on my mindset as I conceived TWR, and what my goals were. As I've said, all creative works are the product of their time.

To be honest TWR was a happy accident. At the time, and to this day, I am an enthusiast of earlier eras of history than the 20th century. A TL about an alternate late reign of Henry VIII and the Tudor dynasty got me to delurk, after all, so captivated I was by it. I've long been a fan of Arthur Tudor, first son of Henry VII and first husband of Catherine of Aragon, and thought it was high time to write a TL about him. There didn't seem to be any others around, at least not recent ones.

In retrospect - really, even at the time - I knew I would probably never post such a TL on the forum. I'd have been eaten alive by the rigorous and unforgiving critics, and rightly so. But either way, the point was moot when - during the critical period while I was still entertaining the notion that my Arthur Tudor TL would soon see the light of day - someone else posted one instead.

Ironically, it hasn't been updated since 2011.

But it meant I had to shelve my Arthur idea - I had no intention of going head to head with a superior, experienced TL writer who had no doubt done way more research than I had. So I turned to another idea I'd been kicking around. It was more for my own amusement, as my love of TV and movie trivia and pop culture in general had been for me since childhood. I once memorized the winners of every major Oscar for 75 years straight. I could tell you which shows were #1 on the air for every broadcast season. All time highest grossing films, before and after adjusting for inflation. I was passionate and knowledgeable about these things. I had ego enough to believe would bring something to table in writing a TL about them that nobody else would. And I was paranoid enough to believe that, since someone had beaten me to the punch with my first idea, someone might do the same with this one, too. And leave me to simmer and stew as they did it all wrong.

Well, I wasn't going to be having any of that.

I started sketching out some overarching plot lines, some throughlines if you will, but I knew I couldn't get bogged down in the details. I had to write by the seat of my pants, or I wouldn't get anything written at all. Luckily for me, it was the autumn, and National Novel Writing Month was just around the corner. Surely contributing 50,000 words towards this project would put a huge dent into its word count? (Ha! In the end I wrote enough for eight years worth of NaNoWriMo.)

I knew my TL idea was… esoteric to say the least. AH.com was, and certainly remains to this day but way more back then, dominated by war-and-politics-oriented TLs. I get it; they're the meat and potatoes of AH and popular culture is an especially sugary dessert. Still, it seemed to me that a little dessert wouldn't hurt anyone. What those who weren't there may not appreciate was that dystopia was in back then; just about the most popular TL going was about a nuclear holocaust and it had multiple spinoffs set in the same universe but written by different authors and focused on their own respective parts of the world. Remember that old joke about there being 500 channels and all of them were showing the same thing? Well by my reckoning, it was time for some counter-programming.

Still, I had to make some concessions to attract attention for what, I was sure, would be a little-read and mostly-ignored TL. In a way the limited potential readership suited me; this was my first project and it would likely be beneath the notice of the critical droves at any rate. But I did want some readers. I wasn't faced with the threat of cancellation like so many low-rated programs before me, but the whole point of publishing my work was to attain some feedback, right?

My biggest early change, and the one for which I think this TL is best-known - the election of Humphrey over Nixon - was done because a) it was easily achieved and flowed logically and naturally from the POD and b) being exposed to baby boomer culture all my life I was (much like Queen in "Bicycle Race") quite thoroughly sick of Vietnam and Watergate and didn't want to write about either of them at all. Humphrey meant the overseas quagmire was done and dusted before the decade was out (before Kennedy's own dream of a moon landing, in fact). And Watergate remained a hotel complex and nothing more, and I'd spared the good inhabitants of this TL the dreary fate of every scandal being suffixed by "-gate" ever after. As for Humphrey over someone like RFK? Well, at the time, "President RFK" TLs were the province of one particular (and prolific) author and I didn't want to step on any toes.

Of course the change also convincingly proved the thesis of this TL, that popular culture matters, that it makes a difference, quite eloquently. Some might say that 15 minutes of the Battle of Antietam were more important than the entire run of I Love Lucy. That may be true, but today you can only watch one of them, on demand, and share the experience of all those who have seen it in the last 70 years, spanning generations of people. Well, of course you can experience the Battle of Antietam through a series of slow pans across still images to the wistful strains of “Ashokan Farewell”. Which only serves to prove my point further: people see the American Civil War through The Civil War, a documentary series by Ken Burns which aired on public television.

I planned other stunts to draw reader attention. One I kept in my back pocket for a while was the Star Trek-Doctor Who crossover. I held onto that one for so long, in fact, that TWR was already quite popular when it was time to execute, and I considered sitting in it for that reason. But in the end I greedily figured surely it would make the TL even more popular if it went ahead, so why not pull the string? So I did. In retrospect, I should not have done it, and if I ever reboot or relaunch TWR, it will not be included. Although I don't think I ever will. We've all exhorted those in charge of such things to leave them alone, to let them be and let them lie. I alone have the power to do so in this case, and I intend to take full advantage.

Some changes I anticipated making waves. The butterflying away of The Brady Bunch went with far less complaint than I had expected. By contrast, Hogan's Heroes, a show whose trajectory went entirely unchanged from OTL, was the subject of robust and continuous discussion. Deciding to kill off a popular character did meet with the reaction I expected, though the tragedy of reality imitating fiction added a wrinkle I did not expect - that nobody could. Within the narrative itself I like the cautionary tale the shocking and unexpected death created- one which has been sadly demonstrated many times to us IOTL as well.

This project was written and completed during a time of relative innocence - or perhaps willful naivete is more accurate. It was completed in 2016, one year before a wave of social revolution would sweep Hollywood and take down many titans who were allowed to carry on with their malicious and predatory behaviours for years, if not decades, with their peers - even the ones who most loudly and vociferously championed justice and equality - cheerfully looking the other way. If I did rewrite TWR it would be from a very different perspective, taking the hypocrisy exposed by these revelations into account - and that would be a much more intense and emotionally taxing project for me to write. One more reason I feel it best to regard it as a product of its time.

What I have gained most from posting TWR to this forum are the collaborations, the camaraderie, and above all the friendships I've formed. To borrow from a catchphrase used by a character I've (mostly) butterflied away ITTL, the people here truly are "finest kind". One only need to compare to the kinds of characters on social media to prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I already went through the roster with my acknowledgements in the update that ended this timeline and the list has not changed since then. It only makes me appreciate further how special this place and the people who contribute to it truly are - warts and all.

That Wacky Redhead has been credited as having begat the deluge of pop culture TLs that have followed in its wake. Like most "pioneers", it really wasn't the first - I can point to several antecedents that inspired me in several different ways - but it was what I like to call "the last to be the first", not unlike a little sitcom called I Love Lucy, in fact. And like all who followed her, what we've seen in the last ten years has truly run the gamut - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

My advice for anyone who would want to write a popular culture TL - or any TL, for that matter - is the same. Write about something you're passionate and knowledgeable about. If it's not fairly original as a concept, then at least make sure you can bring something to table in a way nobody else can. Write towards a definitive ending unless you plan to remain open-ended, but try to write spontaneously as much as you can, and be flexible enough to accommodate new ideas and research you might uncover along the way. Presidents Reagan and Glenn, for example, were planned from the outset, as was the "microwave power disaster movie". But the Argentine War and the spoof movie it inspired came along quite late in the game. I'm very glad I was able to include them, especially since they added resonance to the relationship with the Soviets and the situation in Iran and Afghanistan.

Be open to critique and be willing to shore up weaknesses by consulting with those whom you know to be strong in those areas. Sometimes such individuals might come to you seeking your advice. And that's just too good an opportunity to pass up. Quid quo pro worked for Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling and it can work for you too. Chianti and fava beans optional. But on the same token, hold your ground and stick to your guns. Try not to take too many requests, if any at all. A TL should have a strong authorial voice, and that voice should be yours. That's why you wanted to write it in the first place.

During the writing of this TL, and in the years since, many of its protagonists, who were still with us when it began, have passed away. Mr. Herbert F. Solow, a viewpoint character for the entire duration, is first among these. But we also lost Dorothy Fontana, meaning that all of the "Big Five" are no longer with us. On the other hand, I never thought that I would be writing about William Shatner, the bona fide Rocket Man, still alive at age 90 and now the oldest man who has ever been in space. Reality truly is stranger than fiction. This is just one of the many demonstrations of this dictum in the decade since I began writing this timeline.

As for me, I was an undergraduate when I started writing TWR, and have since graduated, earned my degree, and have been part of the workforce ever since. This is why the updates were rather sluggish those last couple years or so. I don't know if I'll ever post another TL - I've had something in the works for a while, but as every creator knows, having a tough act to follow is a while other ballgame from being an unknown with nothing to lose and something to prove. Going back to Star Trek, I think one of the many reasons the episode "The Ultimate Computer" resonates so strongly is its portrayal of Dr. Richard Daystrom, haunted by his early, youthful success he never could move away from for all the trying he did. But duotronics were a success, and nobody could ever take that away from him. Maybe he should have appreciated what he had. But Star Trek always taught us to aim beyond our reach. Or as another great teacher once said: take chances, make mistakes, get messy!

I like to think I did all three. And I'd like to thank you all for coming along for the ride. And for all the great observations you made en route to our destination. I couldn't have asked for a finer group of passengers.

-- Brainbin
Are you ever going to start something new here? Your signature says A Shot in the Dark, what will that be about? Also if you need help with fusion faces like those in That Wacky Redhead just give me a shout.

...That's a bit rude? Not everyone has a new timeline basically every 8 months.
What do you mean, his last update for this timeline was back in 2016 and his That Wacky Redhead TL over on the Sealion forum is just a reposting (and perhaps updating) of this TL. I was inquiring if he was ever returning here with any new TL.

What do you mean, his last update for this timeline was back in 2016 and his That Wacky Redhead TL over on the Sealion forum is just a reposting (and perhaps updating) of this TL. I was inquiring if he was ever returning here with any new TL.
You did it in a way which came off as a little entitled, "Are you ever going to start something new here?" I'm sure if he's got new projects, he'll share when he's ready to share them.