Nice update Brainbin!
Looks like some good films in there (with one or 2 bad ones of course ;))
I did like the reference to my alma mater UEA :D. Did you know one of the campus residential units was based on a Swedish open prison?
Of course the campus was beautiful on sunny days. This being England and East Anglia of course...
They still have the student newspaper Concrete I believe.

That was one huge, but fantastic update!

I guess "Raise the Titanic' remains only a bestseller in this world, and not tainted by its movie! Shame to lose the John Barry soundtrack, but I'm sure he's doing fine in this timeline!

I found the source of my confusion!
The Journey of the Force post says Spielberg directed Moonraker:
Jaws became a smash-hit, the biggest film of 1975, dwarfing even Moonraker (also directed by Spielberg) from the year before.
While the Moonraker post itself says it was Guy Hamilton:
Guy Hamilton, who had directed the iconic Goldfinger, along with the most recent film, Diamonds are Forever, would also helm Moonraker;
So should I consider the Moonraker post itself to take priority, with the mention in the JotF post being a legacy of a previous draft?

I found the source of my confusion!
The Journey of the Force post says Spielberg directed Moonraker:

While the Moonraker post itself says it was Guy Hamilton:

So should I consider the Moonraker post itself to take priority, with the mention in the JotF post being a legacy of a previous draft?

I also noticed that a previous post said Jon Voight played Hopper in Jaws. I prefer Jeff Daniels myself though.

Thande

Donor
Haven't commented for a while so just to say I like a lot how you took The Black Adder in a a dramatic direction and the discussion of game shows. And I went to Alnwick Castle not long ago: I can report that the Percy family has a massive flatscreen TV in their library, so I wonder if they watch the films and TV series using their home as a setting...

The name changes for the quiz shows sometimes have significance behind them - e.g. "Family Feud" was considered a misleading title because "feud" has stronger connotations in the UK. People seeing that title would probably expect a Jeremy Kyle type show with estranged family members beating each other up.

Thande

Donor
I take it that he's the British equivalent of Jerry Springer?

Kind of, but more low-rent and worse.

Robert Kilroy-Silk would probably be the more direct British analogue to Jerry Springer, though Springer's political career is less well known than Kilroy's.

Inasmuch as Kubrick's Clockwork Orange doesn't get made, as its TTL equivalent seems to be 1984, I wonder if someone else might make an adaptation of the book, if it even exists. Perhaps you could have Paul Verhoeven do it, or suchlike. That sounds legendary.

Inasmuch as Kubrick's Clockwork Orange doesn't get made, as its TTL equivalent seems to be 1984, I wonder if someone else might make an adaptation of the book, if it even exists. Perhaps you could have Paul Verhoeven do it, or suchlike. That sounds legendary.

The publication of the novel was in 1962, five years before the POD, so it still exists.

I can see Verhoeven in the director's seat. Heavy dark satire, perfect for him.

The publication of the novel was in 1962, five years before the POD, so it still exists.

I can see Verhoeven in the director's seat. Heavy dark satire, perfect for him.

I just rewatched the film. It's personally my favorite Kubrick. If I even exist ITTL, it would probably be 1984, but I digress.

I was also thinking about Watchmen. Maybe Charlton doesn't even get bought by DC ITTL, which butterflies it all away.

I just rewatched the film. It's personally my favorite Kubrick. If I even exist ITTL, it would probably be 1984, but I digress.

I was also thinking about Watchmen. Maybe Charlton doesn't even get bought by DC ITTL, which butterflies it all away.

Eh, Charlton wasn't doing so hot after their 60's heyday, and I guessing, with Gold Key taking the license business which Charlton jumped on in the late 70's, they'd probably still go out of business. And if Dick Giodario was still editor, he would still advise to buy it (he got his start in Charlton in the 60's.)

I had this whole synopsis of Watchmen for the Redhead universe in my head, with the Charlton heroes in mind.

Eh, Charlton wasn't doing so hot after their 60's heyday, and I guessing, with Gold Key taking the license business which Charlton jumped on in the late 70's, they'd probably still go out of business. And if Dick Giodario was still editor, he would still advise to buy it (he got his start in Charlton in the 60's.)

I had this whole synopsis of Watchmen for the Redhead universe in my head, with the Charlton heroes in mind.

Hrm. In general, comics have been a bit ignored, haven't they? What about, oh, I don't know, Maus for instance?

Hrm. In general, comics have been a bit ignored, haven't they? What about, oh, I don't know, Maus for instance?
Probably the best explanation is that, from what I know, Brainbin doesn't read many comics himself. It's hard for him to write what he doesn't know, and suggestions help. ;)

One thing about Watchmen is that from what I know, it's very heavily inspired by the Nixon years, Vietnam, and then the post-60s distrust of the system in general. I'm a little curious about how you see something like Watchmen playing out given that a lot of that is butterflied.

Probably the best explanation is that, from what I know, Brainbin doesn't read many comics himself. It's hard for him to write what he doesn't know, and suggestions help. ;)

One thing about Watchmen is that from what I know, it's very heavily inspired by the Nixon years, Vietnam, and then the post-60s distrust of the system in general. I'm a little curious about how you see something like Watchmen playing out given that a lot of that is butterflied.

It plays out with Moore's original intentions, of showing established superheroes in a darker, more realistic light, than the deconstruction of the American Dream the OTL one ended up doing as an extension of the Superhero examination. Instead of Nixon winning a fourth term, it's Reagan starting a Second one, and it isn't dwelled much on, except to establish that it is a different world. Also, many of the subplots are removed.

It's also non-canonical in regards to the Charlton heroes. It'll be retconned by an alternate "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

It plays out with Moore's original intentions, of showing established superheroes in a darker, more realistic light, than the deconstruction of the American Dream the OTL one ended up doing as an extension of the Superhero examination. Instead of Nixon winning a fourth term, it's Reagan starting a Second one, and it isn't dwelled much on, except to establish that it is a different world. Also, many of the subplots are removed.

It's also non-canonical in regards to the Charlton heroes. It'll be retconned by an alternate "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

Oh, I see. It's reassuring to know that Brainbin's knowledge has some gaps. I'm not too much of an expert here, but I think Mr.E and I would be glad to help out with this. I still stand by my idea of Paul Verhoven's Clockwork Orange; maybe it could star Kiefer Sutherland as Alex or something.

Alt. versions of Watchmen have sporadically crossed my mind as well, usually never progressing beyond "pretty much the same, but with the Charlton characters instead" stage.
I'd be very interested to read your take on the idea, in a timeline where so much has already changed beforehand. Maybe you could pm it to me if Brainbin doesn't want any "apocrypha" in his thread? (Or pm it to him to see if he likes it enough to make it cannon.)

Yeah, I do recall him mentioning something to that effect from up thread a bit.