Where are you getting Richard Griffith as the 5th Doctor from, Andy? I couldn't find any other reference to it in the thread. I mean, I get he was the initial choice to succeed Tom IOTL, but Tom's not the actor who's in line to be replaced. Heck, JNT might not even be producer for that handover-George Gallaccio was offered the role originally, but turned it down. Who knows, maybe the expanded popularity of the show in the wider Anglosphere might see someone swooping in from overseas to take the reins, like Sydney Newman did to get the whole show off the ground[1].

Perhaps they might try more radio or stage plays? They only did one or two before the initial cancellation, but many of the original actors were willing to give them a shot afterwards (John Pertwee, in particular, reprised his role for several radio plays in the 90s as well as the stage play The Ultimate Adventure). Troughton might be interested in such an opportunity if it presented itself, since he was bitten by the Doctor Who bug while filming the 5 Doctors which led to him reprising his role was a veteran radio actor (as was Pertwee, of course).

Anyway, I think the most obvious boon to the show would be Michael Grade not being appointed Director-General of the BBC in 1984. Considering he also tried to cancel Dallas, and only agreed to renew Blackadder if its budget was cut on the basis that the first series wasn't very funny[2], it might have done the BBC overall a favour.

[1]Harlan Ellison is one of the major big name fans that comes to mind, but there is probably no way at all he'd be offered or take the job. I'd love to see him write an episode or two, though (although that'd never happen, either).
[2]To be fair to Mr. Grade (there's a sentence I never thought I'd type), the first series wasn't particularly funny in comparison to the later series. Ironically, the unaired pilot episode was much closer to the more successful formula, with Blackadder as the cunning schemer and Baldrick as the imbecilic dogsbody (played by Phil Fox). Fortunately they returned to the winning formula with the second series.

Where are you getting Richard Griffith as the 5th Doctor from, Andy? I couldn't find any other reference to it in the thread.

It's in this post from back in January. The name is Richard Griffiths, which might be why you had trouble finding it.

Cheers,
Nigel

It's in this post from back in January. The name is Richard Griffiths, which might be why you had trouble finding it.

Cheers,
Nigel

D'oh! I wonder how long Griffiths will stay in the role, then (I'm guessing he'll at least stick around until 1983 and the anniversary, in which case Troughton will likely give him the same advice he gave Peter Davison in OTL of sticking to three years in the role, in which case-assuming he follows it like Davison did-he should bow out in '84, which means there'll be a Sixth Doctor before the TL is out.

Where are you getting Richard Griffith as the 5th Doctor from, Andy? I couldn't find any other reference to it in the thread. (…)
Cheers,
Nigel
Gah! Thanks for covering my malfunction, Nigel! :cool::)

You make some good points. Buck Rogers was certainly a good rival to Doctor Who. (…)
As budgets are cut at the end of the Yank Years and audiences fall, there's going to be many in the Corporation who will think that Who has had a very good run, but some new series should be given a chance now.
Cheers,
Nigel
Cheers Nigel, you've also made some good points there.
I’ve worked out a reasonable compromise regarding the BBC & Desilu Post-Production on Doctor Who; I’m not going to post it here as I don’t want to clog up the thread, so anyone interested can PM me & I’ll be glad to elaborate.

(…) JNT might not even be producer for that handover; George Gallaccio was offered the role originally, but turned it down. Who knows, maybe the expanded popularity of the show in the wider Anglosphere might see someone swooping in from overseas to take the reins.
I can see events going a couple of ways for the programme;
1) DW heading for outright cancellation. As in Nigel's post, & simply accelerating the events of OTL, this results in the show going to hiatus (after which cancellation) during or more likely after Richard Griffiths’ run; say around 1984. The show is transmitted in 1979/1980 opposite Galactica on ITV, which pulls away the audience further (the way B.R.i.t.25thC did OTL).
2) As OTL - drastic continuing budget cuts after 1975, effects are possibly slightly worse than OTL due to the loss of work to Desilu PP, declining viewing figures (possibly linked to the ever-shrinking budget), badly-received casting for the Sixth Doctor & a return to the Saturday night schedule against one of the most popular US/North American import series. As with (1), the late 70’s DW is competing against Galactica on ITV & coming off worst.
3) The show retains it's importance at the BBC (the co-production, if Brainbin's numbers for Star Trek are close, brings in more money for the Beeb per story than it costs - including wages - for the entire SEASON :eek::eek:), the show has a bigger budget, better facilities & higher quality stories than OTL, viewing figures staying high with continuing mass appeal in North America even after the co-production ends, no “lightening” the show post-Hinchcliffe so no Douglas Adams as script editor, George Gallaccio (or someone non-UK, Yvonne… no Fred Freiberger!) succeeds Williams as the Series Producer & the programme continues on with Mr. Griffiths departing after his 3 years (probably with someone other than Colin Baker coming in to replace him – shame, but what can you do with one of the UK’s most popular TV roles? I still think Colin got a bum deal OTL… especially that awful wardrobe!) It's down to Brainbin to decide...
Anyway, I think the most obvious boon to the show would be Michael Grade not being appointed Director-General of the BBC in 1984. Considering he also tried to cancel Dallas, and only agreed to renew Blackadder if its budget was cut on the basis that the first series wasn't very funny, it might have done the BBC overall a favour.
Yvonne, Michael Grade (I think he’s a Baron now?) has never been (& hopefully never will be) Director-General of the BBC; he accepted the position of Controller of BBC1 in 1984, becoming Director of Programmes in 1986 & then MD Designate (?) in 1987, leaving for Channel 4 in 1988. I’d be quite happy to let him rot in his Pre-Beeb job as President of Embassy TV in the US, as it stops him interfering with any BBC series & might just stop the soap opera Eastenders getting to air! :D;)
I like the idea of Harlan writing a story for the programme, but fear it would turn into another “City on the Edge of Forever”! :eek: And even liking the first season (I loved the secret history angle), I agree about Blackadder; funny how seasons 2, 3 & 4 had Ben Elton as co-writer with Richard Curtis instead of Rowan… :rolleyes:

NOT that the ITTL version has started yet, so who knows? They may play things like they did in the pilot... :D

Anyway, I think the most obvious boon to the show would be Michael Grade not being appointed Director-General of the BBC in 1984. Considering he also tried to cancel Dallas, and only agreed to renew Blackadder if its budget was cut on the basis that the first series wasn't very funny[2], it might have done the BBC overall a favour.

[2]To be fair to Mr. Grade (there's a sentence I never thought I'd type), the first series wasn't particularly funny in comparison to the later series. Ironically, the unaired pilot episode was much closer to the more successful formula, with Blackadder as the cunning schemer and Baldrick as the imbecilic dogsbody (played by Phil Fox). Fortunately they returned to the winning formula with the second series.

In fact, I'm not sure Blackadder II wasn't aided by the realisation they didn't need much of a budget; I think Ben Elton once commented that the problem with the first series was that it had all these big outside broadcast scenes, and Rowan Atkinson falling off a horse in the middle distance is no funnier than anyone else falling off a horse in the middle distance.

Gah! Thanks for covering my malfunction, Nigel! :cool::)

Cheers Nigel, you've also made some good points there.
I’ve worked out a reasonable compromise regarding the BBC & Desilu Post-Production on Doctor Who; I’m not going to post it here as I don’t want to clog up the thread, so anyone interested can PM me & I’ll be glad to elaborate.

I can see events going a couple of ways for the programme;
1) DW heading for outright cancellation. As in Nigel's post, & simply accelerating the events of OTL, this results in the show going to hiatus (after which cancellation) during or more likely after Richard Griffiths’ run; say around 1984. The show is transmitted in 1979/1980 opposite Galactica on ITV, which pulls away the audience further (the way B.R.i.t.25thC did OTL).
2) As OTL - drastic continuing budget cuts after 1975, effects are possibly slightly worse than OTL due to the loss of work to Desilu PP, declining viewing figures (possibly linked to the ever-shrinking budget), badly-received casting for the Sixth Doctor & a return to the Saturday night schedule against one of the most popular US/North American import series. As with (1), the late 70’s DW is competing against Galactica on ITV & coming off worst.
3) The show retains it's importance at the BBC (the co-production, if Brainbin's numbers for Star Trek are close, brings in more money for the Beeb per story than it costs - including wages - for the entire SEASON :eek::eek:), the show has a bigger budget, better facilities & higher quality stories than OTL, viewing figures staying high with continuing mass appeal in North America even after the co-production ends, no “lightening” the show post-Hinchcliffe so no Douglas Adams as script editor, George Gallaccio (or someone non-UK, Yvonne… no Fred Freiberger!) succeeds Williams as the Series Producer & the programme continues on with Mr. Griffiths departing after his 3 years (probably with someone other than Colin Baker coming in to replace him – shame, but what can you do with one of the UK’s most popular TV roles? I still think Colin got a bum deal OTL… especially that awful wardrobe!) It's down to Brainbin to decide...

No Douglas Adams? That's unfortunate. But hey, this isn't a utopia, as Brainbin has frequently stated. I think it's very interesting that IOTL, Colin was the only choice for the Sixth Doctor-there was never any other person considered. I suppose that's due to the somewhat unique circumstances of his casting.

Yvonne, Michael Grade (I think he’s a Baron now?) has never been (& hopefully never will be) Director-General of the BBC; he accepted the position of Controller of BBC1 in 1984, becoming Director of Programmes in 1986 & then MD Designate (?) in 1987, leaving for Channel 4 in 1988. I’d be quite happy to let him rot in his Pre-Beeb job as President of Embassy TV in the US, as it stops him interfering with any BBC series & might just stop the soap opera Eastenders getting to air! :D;)
I like the idea of Harlan writing a story for the programme, but fear it would turn into another “City on the Edge of Forever”! :eek: And even liking the first season (I loved the secret history angle), I agree about Blackadder; funny how seasons 2, 3 & 4 had Ben Elton as co-writer with Richard Curtis instead of Rowan… :rolleyes:
NOT that the ITTL version has started yet, so who knows? They may play things like they did in the pilot... :D
First of all, Yvonne? YVONNE!? I'll have you know, Yvonmukluk's all one word. If you must shorten it, then it should be Yvon, since I'm male. Don't you know there are no girls on the internet? :p

As I recall, part of the reason Who suffered was also because the Head of Drama also didn't like Sci-Fi much, hence why the Triffids also got cancelled.

And regarding Blackadder: who knows, maybe even if they followed the pilot's lead, they might keep the secret history part of things. The pilot played rather fast and loose with established history.

As I recall, part of the reason Who suffered was also because the Head of Drama also didn't like Sci-Fi much, hence why the Triffids also got cancelled.

I think that you mean The Tripods, and I agree it was a real shame to cancel the series before it reached a proper conclusion.

Cheers,
Nigel.

And now, for a special announcement! Tomorrow, one of my consultants, Dan1988, will be posting a special interlude update to the thread, to help provide a snapshot of a key player on the periphery of the Trial of the Century, and how the situation looks from where he sits. I hope you all enjoy that post, as well as your holiday, depending upon which side of the 49th parallel you call home: Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians, and Happy Columbus Day to my American readers! (And if there's some other holiday tomorrow in some other part of the world, enjoy that as well.) :)

And now, for a special announcement! Tomorrow, one of my consultants, Dan1988, will be posting a special interlude update to the thread, to help provide a snapshot of a key player on the periphery of the Trial of the Century, and how the situation looks from where he sits. I hope you all enjoy that post, as well as your holiday, depending upon which side of the 49th parallel you call home: Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians, and Happy Columbus Day to my American readers! (And if there's some other holiday tomorrow in some other part of the world, enjoy that as well.) :)

Definitely, on all counts. Without further ado, here it is:

-----

“I'm sorry, Malcolm. I can’t let you pursue it.
― And why not?
― If the pathology comes out the way you think it would, then it would be an embarrassment not only to the Coroner's Office, but also to the city, and maybe even higher up than that. You do realize what we’re dealing with here?
― Leo – it shouldn’t matter how high-ranking a politician this guy is! It really shouldn't! It seems pretty simple to me: the guy drives his car into the train because the barriers failed to stop him, and in the car they find a woman and a bottle of whiskey behind the seat.
― What appeared to be whiskey – for all I care, it might as well have been apple juice. The guy was a teetotaller.
― So what? To me, Leo, the evidence speaks for itself, and just because he happens to be a high-ranking city councillor does not mean he should get a pass on this when all of his opponents would use it as just the argument they need to slash our budget even more than they already have!
― And that’s why we need to handle this with discretion. We can’t let rumours about his infidelity or alcoholism start spreading around town. You know what will happen to his – and our city's – reputation if they do? Not to mention, he was one of the few councillors who consistently advocated for maintaining the budget of this office while everyone else has favoured cutting it!
― I know, I know. So that justifies a cover-up? This is not the mercy-killing case from a couple of weeks ago.
― It is not a cover-up. It's giving dignity and privacy for him and his family.
― What dignity? What privacy?”

“And cut!”

Another scene was now done – for the most part – and the waiting game began. There was so much more that had to be done – a power outage the previous day so that hydro crews could work on a nearby substation had meant that shooting was well behind schedule, and thus had to be accelerated considerably over the following days. Both Donnelly Rhodes, who played Malcolm, and Christophe Blanchard, who played Leo, were considerably exhausted after going through a marathon session of filming, and hence needed a break.

“Good job, guys, that scene came out great. Just a couple more to shoot, and then we can take this to the break room.”

Hence, work on Life After Death proceeded very quickly that day, unlike other days. In this case, the shooting focused on the interiors – and after finishing up all the scenes taking place in the coroner's office, the ones taking place at the police station would be next; in fact, they formed an important part of the day’s agenda. This episode's case involved a city councillor who had been killed (and badly burned) in his car – along with his passenger, another, apparently unrelated, woman – when he accidentally rammed it into a moving freight train. Because of the councillor’s high status and considerable political power, this had massive repercussions throughout the city, particularly since he was also a former police officer. As a result, the homicide squad, the coroner's office, and other units in the police department and the city government each jockeyed for position in trying to deal with the consequences of the councillor's death.

There was, however, another reason why work on Life After Death went by so quickly, which was also why some people on set were distracted as well as exhausted. Everyone knew that night the Winnipeg Jets would be playing against the Los Angeles Kings – a matchup which was all the more significant because of the concurrent events which the legal department at CanWest was carefully monitoring. Everyone on set would be congregating in the break room once shooting ended for the day, where the TV was tuned to the local Global station, CKND-TV, which was naturally carrying the game. If Winnipeg won, studio chief Izzy Asper promised that everyone would get the following day off. That added yet more pressure to get shooting done in time, as did the news that Izzy himself was coming down from his office and visiting the set, keeping tabs on everyone and seeing how the filming was going. As the flagship show on Global's schedule alongside SCTV, he wanted to make sure everything was going according to plan.

As he walked around the set and talked with the production crew and members of the cast, Izzy felt pleased. The turnaround plan for United Artists had worked much better than he anticipated, as several Global TV series including Life After Death had proven surprisingly effective at attracting both positive critical reception at home and abroad as well as the audience numbers to match, and even Rikavisión, the Puerto Rican TV station which had difficulty against the more established TV stations on the Island, had its schedule totally revamped and hence its numbers were improving greatly. On top of that, plans were now afoot to expand the existing complex or even build an all-new studio close to Downtown Winnipeg. The reasons were simple; taking on new responsibilities had put a premium on space in the existing station complex. What had worked well back in the 1970s, when it was just the one station complemented by relays from southern Ontario, was now becoming a liability; the police station set was actually used for an earlier low-budget series back in the day (which, needless to say, did not go far) which got a major renovation and yet was still obsolete and hideously cramped. Some of the scenes in the coroner's office, in fact, were shot from vacant office space within the building, which made it very difficult to manoeuvre cameras around. In addition, studio space had to be rented from other areas around Winnipeg just to get things done, including additional areas of both the police station and the coroner’s office. Outside the set, CanWest was also quickly running out of office space to handle all the new responsibilities and there had been times where Izzy worked from home. The focus with the new building project, which was a long-term goal, would be to provide both CanWest and the Global TV network with spacious, modern buildings which would not only allow room for expansion, but would allow both United Artists and Global to fully utilize the space to produce quality content. Despite this, the project never really seemed to go anywhere and consequently was a low priority.

So it was that in this climate that it took several minutes to shoot the last scene at the police station – Malcolm Richter confronting the sergeant at the homicide squad and the police chief for forcing a cover-up being a pivotal scene that had yet to be shot. In this case, that Richter was ex-RCMP (though never mentioned in the script, it was implied in such a way as to be obvious to Canadian viewers) made the police chief feel that Richter was coming off as arrogant and with a “holier than thou” attitude, which made the sequence all the more intense. After that scene was shot, marking the end of the day’s schedule, the break room quickly filled up as everyone turned their attentions to the game. For once, at least something that was not focused on work.

As the third period commenced, everyone had their eyes glued to the television screen. This time, Izzy would join his workers in rooting for the Jets, cheering whenever Winnipeg scored, or throwing things at the TV when the ref made a bad call. Then, all of a sudden, during a commercial break, one of his people in Los Angeles called him over the phone. After berating him for interrupting a Jets match, because that’s one of the few absolutes everyone knew in Winnipeg but apparently not in L.A., things went straight to business.

“How’s that case going? No, the one that’s been on the –
― You’re kidding, seriously? That was the Court’s ruling? Well, I guess it had to come sooner or –
― Look, I’ll have to get to you later, I can hear another goal from Winnipeg.
― I'm serious!”

As he came back into the break room – just in time for the game to cut to commercial – everyone was wondering why Izzy looked so agitated. After apologizing, he mentioned to them what happened with those events happening in L.A. itself. One could sense the palpable wave of “oh no, not again!” sweeping over the break room. Izzy obviously wanted to get something out of Paramount if Gulf+Western lost the trial, since many financial analysts and industry insiders predicted that there would be, at the very least, some sort of asset liquidation to pay out the judgement, and Izzy wanted a piece of that. There were, however, people at CanWest that thought he was getting a bit too over-ambitious and that he should slow down for a bit, hence let things build up naturally. But enough of that – the focus now was the game, not work, which was the last thing anyone wanted to talk about.

It was an interesting game, that was for sure. Early on, the Kings built up a solid, seemingly impregnable lead, which meant that disappointment became obvious in both the arena and the break room. As the game neared its end, though, both Winnipeg and L.A. were tied, Winnipeg having clawed back their deficit, and with less than 30 seconds to go, Winnipeg suddenly scored, which brought everyone in the arena to their feet. And in the break room, everyone was ecstatic about the game and the positive outcome of the trial before the Supreme Court. At least it allowed for a break in the routine that left everyone happy – including Izzy, who took the win as a sign. As such, he now knew what he was going to do . . .

That would be Jonathan Powell, Head of Series and Serials when the knives were out, and succeeding Grade as Controller just before the chop. His attitude to science fiction is well demonstrated in this 1989 fanzine article. (Although I disagree with the author's opinion of the McCoy years, but then Powell didn't support 1989-Who for very long.)

No Douglas Adams? That's unfortunate. But hey, this isn't a utopia, as Brainbin has frequently stated. I think it's very interesting that IOTL, Colin was the only choice for the Sixth Doctor-there was never any other person considered. I suppose that's due to the somewhat unique circumstances of his casting.
It's only unfortunate for Doug Adams! Everyone else will probably be relieved at the lack of open & heavy-handed self-mockery in DW; perhaps there'll be a subtle, gentler, witty influence in stories to complement Jim Dale's acting skills. As a silver lining, Adams will be able to concentrate on H2G2G or maybe an early Dirk Gently. :)
Colin is an underrated performer. IMO every card in the deck was stacked against him while he was playing the Doctor; low audience, mediocre stories, awful costume & bad promotion. He still turned in a credible performance every time, & the way he was shuffled hurriedly off the show without even a decent regeneration was disgraceful. (The OTL 6th Doctor's regeneration was caused by HITTING HIS HEAD ON THE CONSOLE because of turbulence...:mad::mad:)
First of all, Yvonne? YVONNE!? I'll have you know, Yvonmukluk's all one word. If you must shorten it, then it should be Yvon, since I'm male. Don't you know there are no girls on the internet? :p
There most certainly are women (girls if you must) on the internet! How do you know Andy isn't short for Andrea? :D:p It was originally abbreviated to Yvon, but I was writing the post on a replacement cellphone & autocorrect hadn't been properly tamed... sorry! I certainly found a large number of Yvonmukluk's on a Google search - if they're all you, then you must be phenomenally busy; particularly impressive with the number of MMO games you apparently play... :D:D
Yvon, it was The Tripods (1984-5) not The Day of the Triffids (1981). (Damn, ninja'd by Nigel! :eek:)
That would be Jonathan Powell, Head of Series and Serials when the knives were out, and succeeding Grade as Controller just before the chop. His attitude to science fiction is well demonstrated in this 1989 fanzine article. (Although I disagree with the author's opinion of the McCoy years, but then Powell didn't support 1989-Who for very long.)
Thank you Daibhid. Powell did indeed become Head of Drama in 1983 after Graeme MacDonald, having been Head of Serials then Head of Series & Serials. He would go on to succeed his personal friend Michael Grade as Controller of BBC1 in 1987, where his distaste for SF programmes followed Grade's own dislike for the genre. Although Doctor Who probably carried an extra mark against it due to Powell's low opinion of JNT; likely a reason why Nathan-Turner couldn't find another BBC job & leave the series. The final blow against Doctor Who was struck in 1989 by Head of Series Peter Cregeen, although Powell's insistence on scheduling DW opposite Coronation Street undoubtably helped (I also liked Sylvester McCoy's acting past his first few stories - the problems were with the scripts & not with him IMO).
And regarding Blackadder: who knows, maybe even if they followed the pilot's lead, they might keep the secret history part of things. The pilot played rather fast and loose with established history.
Hopefully the series will still recast Baldrick after the pilot, Tony Robinson was fantastic in the part! I think poking fun at that period was part of the idea... it certainly exaggerated the periods in the following seasons & you could count the ends of both Blackadder II & III as secret histories. :D
As for playing with history... isn't that the description of alternate histories? ;):p

Last edited:
More To Come... Right After These Messages

The "present date" is December 25, 1983 (a Sunday), Christmas Day. Across the country, overeager children excitedly rouse their parents from slumber, in a mad dash to unwrap the mountains of presents stacked under the Christmas tree. Often among those presents is the new release of Journey of the Force on home video, which will go on to become the best-selling CED title of 1984.

As for 1983, it has been a year of upheaval in the American film industry. One of the oldest studios in the world no longer exists, its assets split amongst various parvenu studios seeking to fill the void left behind by the Paramount implosion. The definitive ruling by the Supreme Court, taken in concert with legislation passed by Congress, has ensured - not for the first time - that the good old ways of doing business in Hollywood are over. And just as in the 1950s, cinema audiences are being poached by an outside threat. Though the established studios have proven more willing to jump on the home video bandwagon, seeing it as a logical extension of their distribution strategy, theatre owners (who stand nothing to gain and everything to lose from the rise of home video) are apoplectic. And just as in the 1950s, marketers are forced to devise technological "innovations", unavailable in most living rooms, to lure audiences back to the movie theatre.

Those parvenu studios upsetting the old order each have problems of their own. Desilu Productions is now one of the largest landowners in the city of Los Angeles, their portfolio is so diverse that operating their interests as a cohesive whole is difficult, and the studio chief, Lucille Ball, is in her seventies. Born before the sinking of the Titanic, her continued challenge is succeeding in perhaps the most youth-driven industry there is. Lucasfilm, on the other hand, faces an embarrassment of riches, with production capacity far in excess of potential output, the exact opposite of the situation facing most other studios. CanWest, a foreign media enterprise focusing on expansion into the most lucrative market in the world, must surmount the logistical problems of the mind and management being based out of another country, while at the same time providing an example for other foreign enterprises seeking to try their own luck stateside.

As the 1980s progress, they continue to prove a more moderate, deliberate decade than the extreme and haphazard 1970s. President John Glenn, despite having formerly been a test pilot, and then an astronaut, ironically seems a more "down-to-earth" leader than his flamboyant, charismatic predecessor, Ronald Reagan. His administration is staking economic recovery on urban renewal, investment in new, high-tech industrial development in the heartland from which Glenn himself hails, and high-speed commuter rail to shorten the vast distances between metropolitan areas. Still, his legacy continues to be closely tied to the aerospace industry, and his plans for the future of both aviation and space exploration will soon involve the whole world, whether in support or in opposition...

---

So, what can we expect next, and all on account of that wacky redhead?

We'll be taking our usual general overview of the next production and broadcast season: 1983-84.

There will be an in-depth look at the development of the aerospace sector, with new innovations in aviation, and new plans for the future of outer space exploration and exploitation.

Our exploration of pop culture will continue with the changing face of animation, as American producers abandon the "limited animation" paradigm of the 1960s and 1970s in order to outsource their work to animators overseas, who are willing to work harder for less money - and the ascent of foreign animation studios and directors as a result of this arrangement.

We will once again take a look at a few of the many pies in which Desilu has fingers... the video game and home computing industries, at a critical juncture in their history.

We'll revisit the most celebrated periodic sporting event in the world, with coverage of the Summer (and Winter!) Olympics of 1984.

And, finally, we'll chronicle the continuing fallout from the seismic shifts in the motion picture industry, including a shocking new verdict from the United States Supreme Court...

All this and more, coming up on... That Wacky Redhead!

---

Although I ordinarily conclude the "More to Come" posts with my grateful acknowledgements, given that I've recently sought input from so many people on such a broad span of topics, I'm going to hold off on doing so for the moment. However, I will continue to acknowledge individual consultants for their input on respective updates. That said, I'd like to thank you all for your continued patience and understanding, even as updates have been so slow and erratic over these past few months. I appreciate your continued readership and enthusiasm more than you could ever know.

So, what can we expect next, and all on account of that wacky redhead?

We'll be taking our usual general overview of the next production and broadcast season: 1983-84.

There will be an in-depth look at the development of the aerospace sector, with new innovations in aviation, and new plans for the future of outer space exploration and exploitation.

Our exploration of pop culture will continue with the changing face of animation, as American producers abandon the "limited animation" paradigm of the 1960s and 1970s in order to outsource their work to animators overseas, who are willing to work harder for less money - and the ascent of foreign animation studios and directors as a result of this arrangement.

We will once again take a look at a few of the many pies in which Desilu has fingers... the video game and home computing industries, at a critical juncture in their history.

We'll revisit the most celebrated periodic sporting event in the world, with coverage of the Summer (and Winter!) Olympics of 1984.

And, finally, we'll chronicle the continuing fallout from the seismic shifts in the motion picture industry, including a shocking new verdict from the United States Supreme Court...

Wondering where the host cities will be for the Olympics ITTL, curious what the next shocking verdict will be from the Supreme, and anticipating that you'll be doing something with Dynasty's TTL counterpart next update.

I'm looking forward to these updates.

How is Apple doing ITTL? They will make a big announcement and commercial in a few months if it's like OTL...
Also, is the Bell System still on track for a breakup?

It's only unfortunate for Doug Adams! Everyone else will probably be relieved at the lack of open & heavy-handed self-mockery in DW; perhaps there'll be a subtle, gentler, witty influence in stories to complement Jim Dale's acting skills. As a silver lining, Adams will be able to concentrate on H2G2G or maybe an early Dirk Gently. :)

An earlier Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a bit unlikely as it is heavily based upon two Doctor Who scripts (City of Death and Shada). The character of Dirk Gently himself is basically the Fourth Doctor with the serial numbers heavily filed off.

More HG2G is possible, but the third volume will probably not look like Life, the Universe and Everything since that was also based upon an unused Doctor Who script. The character of Agrajag might still appear though, as it seems to give a voice to Adams' feelings about the series, which could be pretty negative at times (see Mostly Harmless).

Colin is an underrated performer. IMO every card in the deck was stacked against him while he was playing the Doctor; low audience, mediocre stories, awful costume & bad promotion. He still turned in a credible performance every time, & the way he was shuffled hurriedly off the show without even a decent regeneration was disgraceful. (The OTL 6th Doctor's regeneration was caused by HITTING HIS HEAD ON THE CONSOLE because of turbulence...:mad::mad:)

I quite agree. That's one of the reasons why I like the Big Finish episodes because they give him a chance to show how he could really handle the role (and the Sixth Doctor did have a costume made for radio).

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:
With the look at animation I wonder if we will be seeing Akira, or TTL's equivalent, coming over and making a splash in the West. Akira was 1988, but with nearly 20 years of butterflies something that doesn't exist OTL could come along earlier showing stuff no one in the West has ever seen before or thought could be done with animation.

Nah, Akira, stylistically at least, was based on the Cyberpunk movement led by Gibson's 1984 novel Neuromancer. I'd argue that cyberpunk was a reaction to the Reagan/Thatcher years; which didn't happen in this time line.

That's not enterly true. Cyberpunk was created in the 1980s mostly as criticism of commercialization and urbanization but it roots can be found in the science fiction novels of the 1960s (Phillip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", 1964).