Well, I'm very flattered that you think so - and I appreciate all the votes that have been coming my way in that very tough category.

You're welcome.

I couldn't tell you, but what's interesting is that WNED Buffalo is largely in competition with our homegrown, publicly-owned TVO (TV Ontario) for pledge donations.

Now that is interesting. And probably something a bit concerning to Queen's Park - but who cares at this point, right? :D

I miss Ghostwriter. Broke my heart when that show ended. I was a huge fan.

You're not the only one.

Laserdiscs were also extremely expensive compared to the CED. Perhaps in some other timeline, the VCD could emerge victorious, but being a product of the 1990s it's beyond the scope of this one. As far as I'm concerned, everything is very much a matter of timing, as it was (to a certain extent) IOTL.

May I also add something as well? Another thing which turned people off Laserdisc was that - even more so than the CED, which is understandable as it's a turntable for video - there were two types of discs. One of them had short running time but high quality, and the other was the total opposite. As such, not only did you have to constantly turn the disc over, but you also suffered a dip in picture quality depending on the type of disc the studio chose to distribute the movie or TV programme in. The quality issue was just as much of a concern as the price.

It's really all I could think of for a "small" design--the only alternative would be one of the single-nacelle "destroyer" designs that are so common in the fandom, but I think even the best of those look a bit awkward....

Much as I keenly appreciate what Franz Josef did for OTL Trek fandom in those wandering-in-the-wilderness years of the 1970s, as much as I treasured my Technical Manual in those days--I never really liked the idea that bigger and smaller Starfleet ships would use more or fewer than 2 warp drive nacelles.

Of course it's very logical. Make one standard nacelle type, and kitbash more of them on if you want an extra-large ship, and make your smaller craft with just the one, very economical. Roddenberry's notion that you need to have even numbers of them implies that if just one nacelle fails, you don't have warp capability at all, whereas before he started making these ex cathedra rulings, we could assume a Constitution class ship could lose one and still manage to limp very slowly (but still, faster than light!) home to some civilized port.

But I never thought it looked right.

I have the impression, from some stuff I've read online (notably by Franz Josef's daughter, but what she was saying fit with other stuff I'd heard years before) that Roddenberry's main motive in laying out all sorts of new rules for how warp geometries had to work was pique at FJ for daring to intrude on his domain of creating Trek, never mind the loving and serious work he did doing it. The new rules, laid down before the first movie OTL, were designed to rule out his destroyer/scout and dreadnought concepts, never mind the consequences. (Such as making every Connie utterly dependent on keeping two warp nacelles in working order, or being dead in the water if they can't).

But the aesthetic that emerged in the movie and TNG era was generally very pleasing to me.

I very much like that Miranda version you brought to our attention, e of pi!

The "Declaration" class on the other hand, just looks goofy to me. Of course we kind of want it to, so everyone is thrilled to see Kirk take charge of Enterprise again as you said!:p

But I have to admit, it seems to follow Roddenberry's OTL "rules" about warp geometries. It just doesn't look as nice as the bird-in-flight look the OTL canon team tended to always manage to retain for their flagship StarFleet designs.

Now--the relevance of all this fan-threadjacking to this timeline is, to raise the question of whether there would have been anything like Franz Josef's Technical Manual or the Blueprints in this timeline at all. Canon Trek goes on for two more years, in which time the studio might succumb to fan pressure to release something definitive and meaty on this backstage geekery stuff. Then, with more closure due to a good five year run that ends well (but with enough deterioration visible in the product that the fans get they shouldn't push for more) and something Desilu-blessed in the way of technical materials, FJ might not feel the same need he did OTL for someone to fill the need.

The upshot might be, Roddenberry never feels pressured into laying down the sorts of rules he did OTL, and the miniseries and any possible future spinoff series, miniseries or movies have a more free-form relationship with Jefferie's original range of sketches for future or alternate classes of ships.

So we might indeed get the single-nacelle or triple ones after all and Roddenberry never says boo about it.

I do feel that when push comes to shove, the "flying bird" aesthetic will assert itself in various ways, but maybe ways that were ruled out OTL.

Romulan and Klingon designs of course, also have their own flying bird looks in OTL canon--each with a distinct variation in mood--Klingon ships look like they are in the act of seizing prey in talons, with the "wings" beating down to break as it strikes, and Romulan ones like they are a bit earlier in the swooping process, wings still in the act of propulsive forward drive. Starfleet ships look like they are flying along steadily.

The "Declaration" class on the other hand, just looks goofy to me. Of course we kind of want it to, so everyone is thrilled to see Kirk take charge of Enterprise again as you said!:p
I think it looks a bit better in perspective views than in plain side/top views, looking at the original Matt Jeffries sketch and imagining the detailed version from various angles. Its nacelle pylons are very short, which is one of the main things that gives the original Enterprise and most of the other Trek ships some of their lightness, but that's actually kind of nice from the standpoint of engineering.

It's certainly not the prettiest, but like you said we sort of don't want it to be--and it's certainly both visually distinct while also sharing strong heritage with both the Enterprise herself and the Artemis/Miranda design. It's not quite as pretty as the Enterprise or the Artemis, but I've long thought that Mirandas were very pretty and sleek. Heresy, heresy, I know, but I think they almost look better than the Enterprise--particularly that TOS variant. Of all the Mirandas I've ever seen, that's probably second most beautiful and I don't think there's any pictures online of the number one.

Now--the relevance of all this fan-threadjacking to this timeline is, to raise the question of whether there would have been anything like Franz Josef's Technical Manual or the Blueprints in this timeline at all. Canon Trek goes on for two more years, in which time the studio might succumb to fan pressure to release something definitive and meaty on this backstage geekery stuff. Then, with more closure due to a good five year run that ends well (but with enough deterioration visible in the product that the fans get they shouldn't push for more) and something Desilu-blessed in the way of technical materials, FJ might not feel the same need he did OTL for someone to fill the need.
I doubt we'd see anything of a technical manual style released in the time of the original run, so there still might be that hole in the merchandise market if Franz Joseph still gets around to it. By the late 70s, though, there's something else on the horizon: the Brainbin has hinted of a coming Star Trek RPG on the horizon in around '77-'78, which would of course need gaming books. Books that would need some mechanical details for various ships, if only within the game system (is the Artemis faster than the Enterprise? How much damage can the Excelsior take before it loses shields? Is that more than the Enterprise? What are those classes called, anyway?). Books that would be potentially able to take advantage of behind-the-scenes access to the miniseries designers, props rooms, and maybe even sets. Books that would be officially licensed references for the rules and background of the Star Trek world--perhaps the first official compendiums thereof, distilling fandom debate over comics, the miniseries, the original show, and any fandom works like Franz Joseph into something that can work in the same semi-cohesive whole for gaming. That's going to give those books tremendous weight in the field of fandom, at least among the hardcore Treknologists.

The upshot might be, Roddenberry never feels pressured into laying down the sorts of rules he did OTL, and the miniseries and any possible future spinoff series, miniseries or movies have a more free-form relationship with Jefferie's original range of sketches for future or alternate classes of ships.
Given Roddenberry actually managed to sell other shows than Star Trek ITTL, I doubt he's giving the question of Trek too much thought at all beyond cashing the checks.

Last edited:
e of pi said:
which would of course need gaming books. Books that would need some mechanical details for various ships
And we're back to the Tech Manual.;)

Also, don't forget the comics: the longer that goes, the more likely artists & writers will conceive other Fleet ships; some tech details will be (at a minimum) helpful, if not outright necessary.

The Manual might, at least, answer why Enterprise (& others in her class) had the narrow "neck", round primary hull, flimsy nacelle pylons, & two nacelles...:rolleyes:

And, e of pi: I like the new design.:cool: It's the most interesting combination of the OTL elements I've seen yet. (Personally, I'd delete the engineering hull & undersling the drive pods, like the D-6/D-7.)

Probably more apt to be a section in the Player's Manual or GM's Guide called "Ship Spotter's Guide" (gives basic information on a couple common ships) plus a separate extra book ($19.99 plus tax) that's the "Ships of the Star Fleet" (featuring detailed information on the various canon ships, plus some designs from fandom the game creators deign to semi-canonize).

Also, don't forget the comics: the longer that goes, the more likely artists & writers will conceive other Fleet ships; some tech details will be (at a minimum) helpful, if not outright necessary.
And they might build some up, but there's less likely to be a condensed reference like the gamin system would need--thus, the gaming system is likely to be the first officially Desliu-licensed product to provide the "sythesized" fanon.

The Manual might, at least, answer why Enterprise (& others in her class) had the narrow "neck", round primary hull, flimsy nacelle pylons, & two nacelles...:rolleyes:
It's basic hyperspatial subspaco-dynamic theory. Lemme grab a pencil and 17,000 napkins and I can walk you through it pretty quickly. ;)

And, e of pi: I like the new design.:cool: It's the most interesting combination of the OTL elements I've seen yet. (Personally, I'd delete the engineering hull & undersling the drive pods, like the D-6/D-7.)
That'd be basically a whole new layout. You're talking something like the DS9 Centaur-class, but using TOS-style features rather than (OTL) Excelsior-style components?

frigate_centaur.jpg

It'd make a better frigate like the Artemis than a cruiser, I think--just doesn't come off as "solid" enough for a flagship. Definitely more birdlike, but I like the Miranda a bit better.

....By the late 70s, though, there's something else on the horizon: the Brainbin has hinted of a coming Star Trek RPG on the horizon in around '77-'78, which would of course need gaming books....

Given Roddenberry actually managed to sell other shows than Star Trek ITTL, I doubt he's giving the question of Trek too much thought at all beyond cashing the checks.

Oh YES!

The RPGs for all manner of developing behind the scenes Treknobabble. And then...

Oh, That Wacky Redhead has another channel she controls. Desilu has gotten control of Syzygy; she's all set to become Bill Gates and Jobs/Wozniak in one package. And she's starting with an edge in the video games market.

More Trek shooter games; an opportunity for fan service in the form of eye candy and canonical new ship types. The RPG develops them, the video games show them in action.

The exciting thing is, while Roddenberry himself as Guru, Pope, "Great Bird of the Galaxy" might recuse himself, the behind-the-scenes technical team at Desilu has had two more Star Trek TV seasons to hold together and evolve--three really if you account for the much greater cohesion and morale of the ITTL third season. And with Gerrold running the Gold Key comics show under Desilu auspices, there's more continuity and connectivity there, and Desilu keeps the people involved in the original Star Trek five seasons largely onboard, they are conveniently available to Gerrold to consult on these kinds of issues. Then they are all brought back together again for the miniseries, just in time for the RPGs and video games to come up on the horizon, with Desilu taking a keen interest in all of these franchise items.

The creative people who brought us the original designs, or others to whom they passed the torch in a graceful succession of additions and withdrawals from the team, are all pretty much continuously together, and plugged into a fan base that gives them feedback. The comics give them a free hand to design without worrying about budgets, the RPGs give them access to ultra-geeky fans with way too much time on their hands putting way too much thought into it (ahem:eek:) then another screen production plus the constraints of early video game tech put new creative constraints on them for discipline leading to more clever creativity.

There should all be a, well, um, syzygy, to it.

The Manual might, at least, answer why Enterprise (& others in her class) had the narrow "neck", round primary hull, flimsy nacelle pylons, & two nacelles...:rolleyes:...

It's basic hyperspatial subspaco-dynamic theory. Lemme grab a pencil and 17,000 napkins and I can walk you through it pretty quickly. ;)

And I must put my hands over my mouth and then somehow sit on them...:p

My head canon on all this largely influenced by Rick Sternbach's OTL TNG Technical Manual; "dipole field" and "peristalsis" are mantras. Also the word "antisymmetry..."

I'd have to search the thread to remind myself whether Brainbin already has inducted Sternbach into the Desilu Team Trek or not. If not, I don't think he was totally making that stuff up about warp geometries on his own, nor for that matter was Roddenberry, entirely. It possibly was at least a vague consensus among the original series team.

My head canon on all this largely influenced by Rick Sternbach's OTL TNG Technical Manual; "dipole field" and "peristalsis" are mantras. Also the word "antisymmetry..."

I'd have to search the thread to remind myself whether Brainbin already has inducted Sternbach into the Desilu Team Trek or not. If not, I don't think he was totally making that stuff up about warp geometries on his own, nor for that matter was Roddenberry, entirely. It possibly was at least a vague consensus among the original series team.

My thoughts were always vaguely along the lines of each nacelle develops a globular field with a major axis dependent on the nacelle length. These fields are then distorted by various components in the ship - the main hull causes a distortion so that the "push" caused by interaction of the fields is therefore behind it.

Shevek23 said:
video games
I tend to forget those...:eek:
Shevek23 said:
technical team at Desilu has had two more Star Trek TV seasons to hold together and evolve--three really if you account for the much greater cohesion and morale of the ITTL third season. And with Gerrold running the Gold Key comics show under Desilu auspices, there's more continuity and connectivity there, and Desilu keeps the people involved in the original Star Trek five seasons largely onboard, they are conveniently available to Gerrold to consult on these kinds of issues. Then they are all brought back together again for the miniseries, just in time for the RPGs and video games to come up on the horizon, with Desilu taking a keen interest in all of these franchise items.

The creative people who brought us the original designs, or others to whom they passed the torch in a graceful succession of additions and withdrawals from the team, are all pretty much continuously together, and plugged into a fan base that gives them feedback. The comics give them a free hand to design without worrying about budgets, the RPGs give them access to ultra-geeky fans with way too much time on their hands putting way too much thought into it (ahem:eek:) then another screen production plus the constraints of early video game tech put new creative constraints on them for discipline leading to more clever creativity.
I agree with all of this. I also have a feeling the "treknobabble" is going to appear in comics, if it isn't already on-air canon, because limits of time are going to be lessened slightly. (Yes, you've still only got about 17pp/issue, & grace notes tend to get lost, I know...:rolleyes:)
Shevek23 said:
ultra-geeky fans with way too much time on their hands putting way too much thought into it (ahem:eek:)
Are you talking to moi?:p
Shevek23 said:
:p
Shevek23 said:
Since my grasp of physics is only slightly better than your average news anchor's,:eek::p I'm going to guess this fits my previous notion: namely, you need two drive pods to generate a stable warp field. So, lose one, you also lose warp entire.:eek: Which only goes to prove Starfleet shipwrights really are as stupid as I thought, given OTL "ST:V" & "DS9".:eek::confused::confused::rolleyes:

If, instead, this governs the strength of the field, & so your maximum speed (which the OTL Tech Manual implied: slower ships with one pod, faster with two or three)...

I still don't see the reasoning which makes the nacelle mounts & "hull neck" sensible: something like the D-7 or Reliant makes much more sense IMO. Something to do with the size & symmetry of the warp field? Needing "clear space" around the pod, so you don't get "flow turbulence"?

OK, this really is starting to make me feel a bit like an Orion pirate, so maybe I should stop asking.:eek:

Since my grasp of physics is only slightly better than your average news anchor's,:eek::p I'm going to guess this fits my previous notion: namely, you need two drive pods to generate a stable warp field. So, lose one, you also lose warp entire.:eek: Which only goes to prove Starfleet shipwrights really are as stupid as I thought, given OTL "ST:V" & "DS9".:eek::confused::confused::rolleyes:
Well, the physics of warp are basically invented whole-hog. Essentially, the physics of warp are such that ships like Enterprise and anything else shown onscreen are assumed to make sense. All it would take to say that you can or cannot make warp with only one nacelle would be a single scene in an episode in which they take that kind of damage, and then whether they do or do not retain warp. However, TOS didn't go in for that type of specificity in its combat damage (unlike, say, ENT IOTL), so it's more likely something for the comics or, eventually, the RPG books if fandom hasn't made up its mind by then. After all, the manual would need to address the ways the ship can be broken. As a tabletop RPG fan, game balance would seem to suggest that losing a nacelle only impairs warp, not disables it. Otherwise, you're flying too much of a glass cannon.

I still don't see the reasoning which makes the nacelle mounts & "hull neck" sensible: something like the D-7 or Reliant makes much more sense IMO. Something to do with the size & symmetry of the warp field? Needing "clear space" around the pod, so you don't get "flow turbulence"?
Like I said above, Treknology basically is pseudophysics with the aim of trying to make some self-consistent sense of what's shown in the show. Warp field physics, however it works, by definition must work such that nacelle mounts and necks make sense--or at the very least aren't such n impediment that whatever other benefit they might offer (operational benefits?) aren't outweighed.

Additionally, what did you think of the Centaur?

Sternbach's not even in the business yet--he got into TV/Movie work after hearing about McQuarrie's work on Star Wars IOTL. We'll have to see how that turns out once Brainbin gets around to breaking all the suspense he's built up about what the beflanneled one has been up to--McQuarrie might not even work on Star Wars :)eek:).

e of pi said:
Well, the physics of warp are basically invented whole-hog. Essentially, the physics of warp are such that ships like Enterprise and anything else shown onscreen are assumed to make sense.

...by definition must work such that nacelle mounts and necks make sense--or at the very least aren't such n impediment that whatever other benefit they might offer (operational benefits?) aren't outweighed.
I take that as given; I'm more wondering what the rationale was, if any. I see none. It does appear, tho, the Klingon design has some advantages: less susceptibility to battle damage? (I'd expect a warrior species to plan for that.) Lower "fuel economy"? Both? (It's not canon, but the books suggested warbirds were low on habitability, & "Tribbles" did make a point of saying "fewer 'comforts'". {I know, not quite what was intended, tho the butchered editing wouldn't reveal that.:rolleyes:})
e of pi said:
game balance would seem to suggest that losing a nacelle only impairs warp, not disables it. Otherwise, you're flying too much of a glass cannon.
You'd think, but by appearances, the writers OTL (counting "ST:V" & "DS9") were pretty idiotic. Clearly they had no grasp of warship design.:rolleyes: Or, indeed, spacecraft design: how hard is it to understand the ship would have airtight hatches?:confused::rolleyes:
e of pi said:
Additionally, what did you think of the Centaur?
Did I miss one?:eek: I saw your Excelsior. Was Centaur the single-pod? (That's a bit freaky-looking...:eek: It looks incomplete. Or like the Fleet was moving hull parts between shipyards, or something.:p)

Sternbach's not even in the business yet--he got into TV/Movie work after hearing about McQuarrie's work on Star Wars IOTL. We'll have to see how that turns out once Brainbin gets around to breaking all the suspense he's built up about what the beflanneled one has been up to--McQuarrie might not even work on Star Wars :)eek:).

Well, if McQuarrie still does the art for Asimov's Robot Stories anthologies, than it is fine :D:p

I take that as given; I'm more wondering what the rationale was, if any. I see none.
Dipole field. Most everyone agrees a warp drive is supposed to work by manipulating space-time itself via gravity control of some kind, collapsing space in front and expanding it behind. If such a thing could be done it makes sense to me there would be two lobes to it, and lo and behold, in TOS one of the cool-looking instrument displays you can see is a two-lobed vaguely dipole looking thing on a round screen; it's really just a moire pattern, but it sort of suggests such a field. Well, such a field would have a constriction in the middle and two expansive lobes. The Starfleet Connie-type ships seem to put the primary hull in the forward lobe and the secondary in the aft one; you then want minimal mass at the narrow passage between them, hence the skinny neck. You don't have to worry about the fact that that's mechanically absurd because the lobes of the field are in a fixed relationship with each other, they move together so there's no stress on the neck.
It does appear, tho, the Klingon design has some advantages: less susceptibility to battle damage?
Actually the Klingon cruiser type designs look to me like using a variation on the Connie type two-lobe design, the forward hull on the end of the long straight fore-and-aft neck is in the forward lobe and the big secondary hull which presumably has the warp core and lots of other machinery is in the aft; again a relatively thin neck connects them, the main differences being the forward hull is relatively small and the neck is straight instead of at an angle to the direction of flight. But early Terran ships did the same thing; there's the SS Valiant from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" for instance.

It's the classic Romulan Bird of Prey from "Balance of Terror" that uses the one-lobe design, one hull compactly between two warp nacelles, as with the Reliant. I figure, there's still two lobes but the engineers ignore one of them and focus on optimizing conditions in just one, letting the other be unsuitable for structures.

I can usually visualize how the warp field lobes are laid out in most designs they show on screen.

As to which is good and which is bad, lots of handwavium applied liberally!:p

From how the canon has evolved (but most of all, from the way the SS Valiant looked from the visuals in that second pilot of TOS, so it goes right back to the beginning of the show) I figure early warp drives tended to have radioactive or otherwise dangerous and risky cores, so you'd want the habitable spaces well away from them, hence the designers from Earth anyway, and presumably Klingon ones too, focused on the two-lobe layout and got used to it, and typically will go there first. But once it became possible for crew to expect to survive in proximity with the warp core, the one-lobe designs had some attraction too; nowadays (as of TOS anyway) Starfleet designers use both, tending to use the one-lobe option for smaller ships, presumably they start with a 2-lobe design from a bigger ship and then use the benefit of letting conditions in one lobe deteriorate to get more than half the performance out of the other one.

Romulans might have acquired warp technology from another species, when it was developed enough for the one-lobe design to be attractive, or they might have had primitive warp a very long time (going back to their exile from Vulcan, I don't like that idea but some people do) or it might relate to their using a different approach to power it--quantum singularities instead of matter/antimatter and some weird means of suspending the reaction between them the way later canon says Starfleet warpcores work. Also the BoP might have been a new design optimized for cloaking, though I like the idea that earlier Rom ships had a kindred sort of look to them.

You'd think, but by appearances, the writers OTL (counting "ST:V" & "DS9") were pretty idiotic. Clearly they had no grasp of warship design.:rolleyes: Or, indeed, spacecraft design: how hard is it to understand the ship would have airtight hatches?:confused::rolleyes:

Well, they use forcefields a lot, which is convenient, and better than having just physical walls when the ship is being shot up, but when all's said and done, yep they do lots of silly things all the time. Where are the emergency pressure suit lockers and why do we never see anyone in such a suit?

When TNG first came out I had the personal epiphany that if I liked Trek, and I certainly did, it was up to me to figure out why things did make sense, rather than stand on some soapbox and claim they didn't. The fact is there are stupidities that defy explanation no matter how we twist and turn, but by and large I find it is generally possible to make some sense of things--if I want to.

What an incredibly detailed technical discussion! It's almost like I've actually stepped into my timeline ;)

Tried to do some edits on that design to bring its engineering hull length more into line with the Enterprise's. I think it looks a lot less "stubby" with it stretched like this. (For the record, 1911 is Lucille Ball's birth year.)

tumblr_mh1udwWrpq1qlz9dno1_500.png
For the record, e of pi and I did discuss this design as he was creating it and I give it my official stamp of approval - with the obvious caveat that the appearance of the outer hull would probably be modified slightly for the mini-series, as it was for the movies; however, it would remain closer to the style of the original series. I've already linked to an OTL poster as my inspiration. That said, I like the "classic" look, and I imagine that it would catch on in the fandom ITTL, particularly among the Puritans.

Why? Remember that the Excelsior was first mentioned in "These Were the Voyages", which marks the end of the universally accepted canon prior to the "schism". However, the ship was unseen in that episode, because it makes no sense to go through with a grand unveiling only for it to remain dramatically inert (remember, the crew goes on one last cruise in the Enterprise at the end). But the above model is a Matt Jefferies design; that's worth quite a bit, even from a Puritan perspective.

The registry number, however, would probably be a point of dispute. For obvious reasons, Puritans would prefer 1921 (the year that Roddenberry was born) or 1924 (the year that Coon was born). Marvel Zombies would probably lobby for a number in between: 1922 (the year that Stan Lee was born :p). Unfortunately for them, Gold Key still has the comics licence... for now. However, there should be universal agreement on the registry number for the Artemis: NCC-1966 :cool:

May I also add something as well? Another thing which turned people off Laserdisc was that - even more so than the CED, which is understandable as it's a turntable for video - there were two types of discs. One of them had short running time but high quality, and the other was the total opposite. As such, not only did you have to constantly turn the disc over, but you also suffered a dip in picture quality depending on the type of disc the studio chose to distribute the movie or TV programme in. The quality issue was just as much of a concern as the price.
An excellent point - a key advantage of the victorious formats IOTL is that they were a good deal more consistent.

Much as I keenly appreciate what Franz Josef did for OTL Trek fandom in those wandering-in-the-wilderness years of the 1970s, as much as I treasured my Technical Manual in those days--I never really liked the idea that bigger and smaller Starfleet ships would use more or fewer than 2 warp drive nacelles.
At the end of the day, I'll state the obvious: the Enterprise, and all other ships, have two nacelles because Matt Jefferies was a bomber pilot in WWII and wanted them to evoke the wings of a plane (or, indeed, of a bird in flight). It's really that simple. Now obviously, that doesn't make for a very good in-universe explanation.

Shevek23 said:
This is absolutely true. Even with e of pi's improvements to the rendered design, it still looks "off", which is exactly what we want from an in-universe perspective.

I doubt we'd see anything of a technical manual style released in the time of the original run, so there still might be that hole in the merchandise market if Franz Joseph still gets around to it. By the late 70s, though, there's something else on the horizon: the Brainbin has hinted of a coming Star Trek RPG on the horizon in around '77-'78, which would of course need gaming books. Books that would need some mechanical details for various ships, if only within the game system (is the Artemis faster than the Enterprise? How much damage can the Excelsior take before it loses shields? Is that more than the Enterprise? What are those classes called, anyway?). Books that would be potentially able to take advantage of behind-the-scenes access to the miniseries designers, props rooms, and maybe even sets. Books that would be officially licensed references for the rules and background of the Star Trek world--perhaps the first official compendiums thereof, distilling fandom debate over comics, the miniseries, the original show, and any fandom works like Franz Joseph into something that can work in the same semi-cohesive whole for gaming. That's going to give those books tremendous weight in the field of fandom, at least among the hardcore Treknologists.
It's very much looking like Appendix A, Part IX will be increasingly informed by this kind of material.

e of pi said:
This is really the major paradigm shift with regards to 1970s fandom. IOTL, Roddenberry was very much venerated as a prophetic figure, with his "vision" for the future and for space exploration serving as a rallying philosophy for the Trekkies/Trekkers/Trekkists. Better men than him have let themselves become seduced and corrupted by the allure of such devotion, and sure enough, he was as well. But ITTL, the only Trekkies who will revere him in the same way are the Puritans, who are generally considered odious and pedantic by the rest of the fandom (and even then, Roddenberry will merely be part of a greater pantheon, alongside primarily Coon, among others).

For reference, Star Trek went for 137 episodes without showing any Federation starship other than those in the same class as the Enterprise; by February of 1978, we're still looking at fewer issues than that of the main Star Trek comic. After the mini-series, of course (and perhaps even in the run-up thereto), all bets are off.

That'd be basically a whole new layout. You're talking something like the DS9 Centaur-class, but using TOS-style features rather than (OTL) Excelsior-style components?

It'd make a better frigate like the Artemis than a cruiser, I think--just doesn't come off as "solid" enough for a flagship. Definitely more birdlike, but I like the Miranda a bit better.
As do I, though you should all know that e of pi is understating his enthusiasm for the Centaur model. But the Miranda-class is more "authentic", so to speak.

There should all be a, well, um, syzygy, to it.
Very well said - and you highlight the ludicrous precision of the Puritan viewpoint ("Two Genes or Bust", to put it bluntly), when virtually everyone else who worked on the original series has significant input on most of these products (and not just "hauled them out of mothballs for a last-minute endorsement" input, either - and speaking of which...)

Shevek23 said:

You really need to divorce yourself from technical manuals for shows that will never exist ITTL. Take a bottom-up approach to how the technology will be explained, basing your observations strictly on the established canon. And as for Sternbach - well, if I were to judge him solely by the company he keeps... :mad:

My thoughts were always vaguely along the lines of each nacelle develops a globular field with a major axis dependent on the nacelle length. These fields are then distorted by various components in the ship - the main hull causes a distortion so that the "push" caused by interaction of the fields is therefore behind it.
An intriguing hypothesis, Professor - though I'll be honest here. As an enthusiast of popular culture, I tend to care very little about the nature of warp drive. Obviously I've made educated guesses based on observation, just like anyone else; but technobabble has never been one of my passions (one of the many reasons I prefer Star Trek to the many spin-offs that followed IOTL, all of which were lousing with the stuff). I'm definitely going to lean very heavily on my consultants with regards to this matter.

And we'll be hearing from He With the Flannel and the Beard sooner, rather than later! :D

Well, if McQuarrie still does the art for Asimov's Robot Stories anthologies, than it is fine :D:p
One science-fiction property at a time, now ;)

When's the next update coming?
Ah yes, an excellent question. And the answer is: in a few days! Thank you, everyone, for your patience.

e of pi said:
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

That should be Enterprise.:cool::cool: That beats the Valiants, too. (If she had the "TOS" round drive pods, it wouldn't suck, either, but this is better.)

Brainbin said:
The registry number, however, would probably be a point of dispute. For obvious reasons, Puritans would prefer 1921 (the year that Roddenberry was born) or 1924 (the year that Coon was born). Marvel Zombies would probably lobby for a number in between: 1922 (the year that Stan Lee was born :p). Unfortunately for them, Gold Key still has the comics licence... for now. However, there should be universal agreement on the registry number for the Artemis: NCC-1966 :cool:
It still is IMO. Does this mean Starfleet built 210 ships of a class with Enterprise?:eek::eek: That's a pretty astounding amount of power. Or does it mean 210 in all?:eek::eek: That's a pretty tiny number for an organization of spacefaring species. (Even if it only has a dozen or so members, & TBH, I've never been completely clear how many there were.) Either way, those contract numbers are pretty peculiar. (OTOH, over 70,000 built in about 100yr between "TOS" & "ST:V" OTL?:eek::eek::eek: How bad was that war?:eek:)
Brainbin said:
For reference, Star Trek went for 137 episodes without showing any Federation starship other than those in the same class as the Enterprise
That's limited more by budget than anything, I suggest. Same as with aliens. When you don't have to spend a dime to build it, you can create any ship design you want...

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I'll state the obvious: the Enterprise, and all other ships, have two nacelles because Matt Jefferies was a bomber pilot in WWII and wanted them to evoke the wings of a plane (or, indeed, of a bird in flight). It's really that simple. Now obviously, that doesn't make for a very good in-universe explanation.

Moving outside of ST (although to a series inspired by Trek), there is a ship design with an odd number of nacelles. That is the Liberator from Blakes 7

BlakeLiberator.jpg

I wonder what Rodenberry thought of Blakes 7. If he didn't like the series, that could be another reason for making three nacelles uncanonical. It would prevent the Liberator from showing up in his Federation.

Cheers,
Nigel

Last edited:
Moving outside of ST (although to a series inspired by Trek), there is a ship design with an odd number of nacelles. That is the Liberator from Blakes 7

BlakeLiberator.jpg

I wonder what Rodenberry thought of Blakes 7. If he didn't like the series, that could be another reason for making three nacelles uncanonical. It would prevent the Liberator from showing up in his Federation.

Cheers,
Nigel

NCW8

Well given what the Federation was in Blake's 7, a vicious dictatorship, I doubt he would want any link between the two series.;)

Steve