That Belgian-Dutch alliance in 1905...

Marc

Donor
Never happened, of course. But for a little while, there was some consideration given to the notion of establishing a customs union and military alliance between the Low Countries. From what little I learned browsing about when the what-if idea came to me, it was, not surprisingly, mostly the Belgian side that shot it down.
However, if a moment of deep insight overcame natural tendencies, that event would thoroughly upend the history 0f the Great War, at least on the Western Front. Yes?

Apologies for not carrying my thoughts further - in the midst of getting ready for a long trip. But I thought it might pique the interest of some here... unless it has been it has been already discussed ad nausea?

Last edited:

Riain

Banned
Schlieffen allocated a couple corps to contain the 90,000 strong Dutch Army when his plan included violating the Maastricht Appendix, but these Corps didn't exist and were never provided so Moltke economised on troops by not violating Dutch territory.

So such an alliance would likely make German war planning more difficult and maybe cause Germany to go on the offensive against Russia.

Schlieffen allocated a couple corps to contain the 90,000 strong Dutch Army when his plan included violating the Maastricht Appendix, but these Corps didn't exist and were never provided so Moltke economised on troops by not violating Dutch territory.
In my opinion attacking the Netherlans would cost the Germans too much. Without aircraft and other inventions that were done in the interwar years, the Dutch waterline could hold the Germans, possibly indefinately as long as the Dutch have British support. The waterline is basicly an even better defendable trench. I think it could relatively easy be defended with some machineguns and artillery.

It would cost the Germans not only an occupying force of half the Netherlands, but a frontline force at the waterline.

It would be even better if the Dutch and Belgians would cooperate and extend the waterline to Antwerp and possibly other Belgian towns. Napoleon was actualy considering it. Although, I think 10 years is too short a time. Maybe after the first world war after the waterline proved effective.

Last edited:

I've seen this bourne out in several strategic games modeling the Great War. Germany gains nothing in terms of manuver or operational gain in the 1914 campaign, strategic position or resources gained are unimportant. Eighty or ninety thousand German soldiers are out of the critical fight with the French or Russians, Until the British blockade of neutral nations was worked out Germany still had some imports via the Netherlands, thats lost with a invasion of Dutch territory.

BlondieBC

Banned
I don't remember this idea being discussed. Which year do you see the alliance formed?

I think a tight alliance most fascinating impact will be diplomatic. Things like the new alliance would want to have the UK also guarantee Dutch neutrality. It changes both French and German war plans which at times attacked via these nations. Both nations have big colonial empires, so if guarantees of neutrality can be gained, then moving towards a more colonial type military might happen. It gives the UK a third choice between France as an ally or Germany as an ally.

Marc

Donor
The actual historical discussions occurred during 1905-1907. (I was wrong about the Belgians being the uninterested party, it was the Dutch that were skeptical from the beginning.)
The idea was that aligning their forces and making it clear that they would continue their strong political neutrality would likely deter the Germans - which by then was considered by both countries to be the dangerous neighbor. Ironically, a not small part of the reason why it didn't go very far was that very fear, of how the Germans would react to the development.

Last edited: