Tellurus: a worldbuilding project

What color scheme should Tellurus use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Changed my mind on one of the island groups.
Hifo : various Solomon Islander
Irery : Grand Andamanese
Wanpela : Ongan
Something to keep in mind is that a lot of these remote smaller islands are still undiscovered/uninhabited by humans at this point. But other than that, I'll definitely consider using what you've come up with.

but if they were uninhabited, they would be in white?
tellurus human spread.png

The timeline is still being worked on, I just spent the last 5 hours writing for the years 3270 AF to 3320 AF.
The years 2971 AF to 3020 AF will be posted soon as I get more free time.

Can anyone help me make some Sanskrit/Hindi sounding names for the Karulhan Empire's kings/queens? I want to flesh out the subcontinent more and could really use the help.

Can anyone help me make some Sanskrit/Hindi sounding names for the Karulhan Empire's kings/queens? I want to flesh out the subcontinent more and could really use the help.

I tried randomly generating some names based on real life Hindi/Indian names, here's what I came up with:

Feminine:
Bamarna, Haldirana, Utama, Chala, Dekaravina, Ani, Ganalshranupi, Tati, Sashya, Gagivini, Abhi, Esha, Oma, Vajeekshi, Sulkadyadrali, Rusha, Kachyapa, Nepi, Hagapavili, Randha, Dupati, Paddha, Kari, Kunara, Hadi, Samadhati, Jatashi, Neerari, Chaldhala, Vala, Kanarevi, Hara, Vijevi, Lotthaga, Kalishatishma, Raldhali, Garama, Akaviti

Masculine:
Gurar, Kus, Tatyoch, Rachum, Eshat, Kusarr, Seshav, Aban, Bayran, Chainaodh, Deeshagatsh, Tudyav, Nepay, Lodh, Burshar, Rash, Vitt, Havalsan, Akanir, Jyot, Swaul, Yashiv, Kudhashrant, Yal, Kamar, Anaushadathaish, Presnatashay, Saragarsh, Karshin, Batshal, Jyotsamanar, Umaroray, Naumaudh, Karanulkshavir, Kumaul, Aanijev, Umat, Pranagishinjir, Utilit, Mav, Neevil, Sepal, Harash

I tried randomly generating some names based on real life Hindi/Indian names, here's what I came up with:

Feminine:
Bamarna, Haldirana, Utama, Chala, Dekaravina, Ani, Ganalshranupi, Tati, Sashya, Gagivini, Abhi, Esha, Oma, Vajeekshi, Sulkadyadrali, Rusha, Kachyapa, Nepi, Hagapavili, Randha, Dupati, Paddha, Kari, Kunara, Hadi, Samadhati, Jatashi, Neerari, Chaldhala, Vala, Kanarevi, Hara, Vijevi, Lotthaga, Kalishatishma, Raldhali, Garama, Akaviti

Masculine:
Gurar, Kus, Tatyoch, Rachum, Eshat, Kusarr, Seshav, Aban, Bayran, Chainaodh, Deeshagatsh, Tudyav, Nepay, Lodh, Burshar, Rash, Vitt, Havalsan, Akanir, Jyot, Swaul, Yashiv, Kudhashrant, Yal, Kamar, Anaushadathaish, Presnatashay, Saragarsh, Karshin, Batshal, Jyotsamanar, Umaroray, Naumaudh, Karanulkshavir, Kumaul, Aanijev, Umat, Pranagishinjir, Utilit, Mav, Neevil, Sepal, Harash
What website did you use? Do they have Sanskrit names too?

What website did you use? Do they have Sanskrit names too?

It's a little complicated. I got the basic Indian names from here and here, but since it's a fictional world, I ran them through this website to come up with names that could pass as Sanskrit even though were completely made-up. Behind The Name doesn't have a category for Sanskrit names, but if you browse under 'Indian', any names of Sanskrit origin will say so in the description.

If you want to use that third website, I would set the "Order" to 1 or 2, and then you'll have to cherry-pick from the output because a lot of the words it puts out will be too long, too short, or just unpronounceable.

It's a little complicated. I got the basic Indian names from here and here, but since it's a fictional world, I ran them through this website to come up with names that could pass as Sanskrit even though were completely made-up. Behind The Name doesn't have a category for Sanskrit names, but if you browse under 'Indian', any names of Sanskrit origin will say so in the description.

If you want to use that third website, I would set the "Order" to 1 or 2, and then you'll have to cherry-pick from the output because a lot of the words it puts out will be too long, too short, or just unpronounceable.
Thanks, I'll definitely check them out.

The previous parts of the timeline have been slightly updated, with names for Kings/Emperors of Serica and the Karulhans among other smaller things, in preparation for the next update to the timeline.

Finally finished reading through everything here, took me a while. It's absolutely amazing! If ever you'd need help with anything language-related, that's something I enjoy doing

I fixed my computer problem so I'll try to update the timeline in the next few days. I may be getting a job so i might be a lot more busy and the updates more infrequent but you never know.

Timeline (2972-3020 AF)
I'm sorry for putting off the religions. I'll try my best to actually work on it. but here's the next part of the timeline.

2972 AF: Li Huan becomes the ruler of the Kingdom of Xin in western Serica after his father Li Zhu dies. He continues Xin's conquest of the neighboring nations.
2974 AF: All but two cities in Nura have been taken in the war by Tyhrrus, who also peacefully annexes Ocarys at the same time. Qarnenak launches a surprise attack on the other side of the island, which amazingly works to their favor.
2976 AF: Marcus Regulus dies and his nephew, Aulus Varro, takes his place as king and vows to win the war.
2976 AF: A war between Tymria and the Apamaeans over Katal ends in a Apamaean victory. Tymria's island vassals become fully independent.
2978 AF: Nura is fully blockaded by Tyhrrus.
2979 AF: Qarnenak has no choice but to accept defeat in the war. All of Nura is annexed by the Tyhrric Kingdom. Tyhrrus becomes the dominant state in the Thalmedic Sea. Qarnenak's mercenaries rebel against them when they fail to pay the mercenaries.
2980 AF: Cheng breaks its former alliance with Xin and declares war. The remaining states in Serica ally with Cheng against the rising threat of Xin, beginning another massive war.
2980 AF: Mathematicians in Pelasia estimate Tellurus' circumference to an amazing degree of accuracy, only 5% off the actual figure.
2981 AF: War between Olkabians and Arthaces, two northwestern Ahuran tribes.
2982 AF: The mercenaries in Qarnenak are finally defeated. Tyhrrus declares war over ownership of Estfou but Qarnenak surrenders it without a fight.
2983 AF: Laodice dies and Apames becomes king in Apamaea.
c.2985 AF: Increased colonization and conquest of Virthania (northeast Rhodin) by Qarnenak, wishing to get revenge on Tyhrrus
2986 AF: The unification of Serica begins when Xin slowly begins achieving dominance in the war between it and the rest of the Serican states.
2988 AF: Emperor Asankaya dies after a long successful reign and is succeeded by Āgneya.
2988 AF: Apamaean Empire recognize the independence of Arthacia after they capture the Apamaean king in a battle.
2991 AF: Xin conquers the state of Chendu, former capital of Serica.
2992 AF: Aulus Varro dies after a long reign, succeeded by Spurius Commidos.
2993 AF: After a large scale rebellion that Emperor Āgneya is unable to quell, Tumyong and the western parts of the Karulhan Empire break away. The western lands become ruled by the new Paskahana Dynasty. The southern kingdoms also end their tributes to the Karulhans.
2995 AF: Cheng is conquered by Xin, but it's king escapes into hiding.
2995 AF: A huge earthquake strikes Pelasia, causing immense destruction. The city of Abanta is leveled in the tremor, taking decades to rebuild.
2995 AF: Āgneya dies having presided over the beginning of the Karulhan Empire's decline. His nephew Hanan becomes Emperor.
2997 AF: Jin falls to the Xin, and Wei over the next two years.
2999 AF: Wei and the last Chendu loyalists are defeated and destroyed by the Xin. Serica is unified by the Xin Dynasty, who emerge victorious in the war of unification. King Li Huan becomes known as Xin Shi Huang, and starts a tradition of emperors changing their names either during their reign or after their death.
3000 AF: The Xin Dynasty begins building many roads in Serica to reunite the nation, and a northern wall to defend against invading tribes.
c.3000 AF: Tasmaxia retakes the spot of world's biggest city from Giripuri when it's population reaches about 400,000.
3001 AF: Hanan attempts to retake the lost portions of his Empire but fails, further weakening the Karulhan Empire.
3001 AF:Another Oenesrian-Apamaean war breaks out over Nenak and Uhaakin lands.
3002 AF: The Second Tyhrric-Qarnenak war begins when Qarnenak launches a surprise attack on Tyhrrus' ally in Rhodin, the Kingdom of the Nedumi, and Tyhrric colonies in Nura as well. They also land in Nantes after easily defeating the Pelasian fleet, beginning a march toward Albala.
3003 AF: The Apamaeans are defeated, confirming Tymrian control in Nenakia. The same year Apames II becomes king after his father mysteriously dies.
3003 AF: Qarnenak forces reach Albala, scoring many decisive victories on their way towards the capital of Tyhrrus. The city is only narrowly saved from being besieged when King Spurius Commidos launches a surprise counterattack.
3004 AF: A siege of Ocarys by Qarnenak is a disastrous defeat for Tyhrrus, who loses an entire army in the battle. Parts of Albala defect to the Qarnenak side out of fear.
3005 AF: Tyhrrus defeats Qarnenak in Nura, securing the island and launching their own invasion of Hybras. Argaeas signs a secret alliance with Qarnenak against Tyhrrus.

3005AF.png

3005 AF: Several tumultuous events occur throughout the world. Serica is reunited for the first time in centuries under the XIN DYNASTY, and northern tribes unite to stand a chance against their southern neighbor, forming the BEIXION CONFEDERATION. The DAYUE tribes on the western peninsula unite for the same reason as Xin expands west. In Avarda, the Karulhan Empire begins it's slow decline as Tumyong and the PASKAHANAS break free from their grip. In Ahurastan and Lotan, the Pelolkabians conquer the Ixuldans and become independent while the ARTHACIANS successfully slip away from the rule of Zantuqa and the Apamaeans. In Haemos, Orepan is conquered by the Tyhrrics, who have engaged in another war with Qarnenak starting in 3002 AF. Both nations had expanded much since their last confrontation, with Tyhrrus annexing the Dursini and Qarnenak colonizing northeastern Rhodin. Despite Tyhrric invasions in Nura and Hybras, Qarnenaki forces on the Albalon peninsula threaten the future of the growing kingdom. Lastly, the Tymrians retake Nenakia from the Apamaeans.

3006 AF: Xin defeats a massive army of cavalry from the Beixion confederacy, an alliance of tribes to the north. Xin expands in most directions.
3006 AF: Emperor Hanan dies and his son Sachin becomes Emperor.
3007 AF: Apames II is assassinated when it is discovered he assassinated his own father 4 years prior. Laodice II becomes Queen.
3008 AF: Tyhrrus convinces the Sophoni people in Qarnenak to rebel, drawing large amounts of Qarnenak forces away from Albala. They also begin pushing back the Qarnenak invaders in some parts of the peninsula.
3008 AF: The Apamaean Empire attacks the Karulhan Empire with the intent of reclaiming lands once conquered by Tasmaxes.
3009 AF: Ocarys is retaken by Tyhrrus, and Hybras in the east falls the same year.
3010 AF: Xin Shi Huang dies, leaving a power struggle between Xin supporters and Cheng rebels aided by former Chendu supporters.
3011 AF: Tyhrrus launches a massive invasion of Virthania, raiding and occupying the Qarnenak colonies there.
3011 AF: A Xiyue rebellion in Serica is crushed, but the nation slides further into chaos once again.
3012 AF: Virthania fall to Tyhrrus, putting Qarnenak in sever risk of direct invasion itself. Their army trapped in Albala is in dire straits.
3013 AF: The Qarnenak invaders in Albala are finally defeated by Tyhrrus. The survivors flee back to Qarnenak.
3013 AF: Xin supporters are forced out of the capital of Chángchūn by forces loyal to the Cheng dynasty.
3014 AF: Sophon and Nedumi tribes completely expel Qarnenak forces from their lands.
3015 AF: Argaeas breaks off its alliance with Qarnenak, seeing the inevitable in the outcome of the war.
3016 AF: Tyhrrus begins a seige of Qarnenak itself, retribution for the previous invasion of Albala. Nedumi and Sophoni forces assist Tyhrrus.
3017 AF: Cheng rebels defeat the Xin, establishing the Tanshuài(Straightforward) Empire. The main rebel leader Lán Yi becomes emperor, taking the name Shǐzǔ. The other rebels are betrayed and executed by the Tanshuài.
3018 Qarnenak's last army is destroyed by Tyhrrus, and they are left in control of only a small area around their capital.
3019 AF: Tyhrrus achieves victory in the war, crippling Qarnenak, who becomes a client state to Tyhrrus, and cedes all of its possessions in Hybras and Virthania(Birdania). The independence of both Sophon and Nedumi are recognized by Qarnenak.
3019 AF: Emperor Shǐzǔ repels an invasion by the Beixion Confederacy, who had been raiding increasingly more since the fall of the Xin Empire. The Emperor eventually agrees to send the tribes annual tribute in return for peace.
3020 AF: A tribe known as the Lesuvroi attempt to raid northern Albala, but are defeated. Tyhrrus also declares war on Argaeas.

3020AF.png

3020 AF: In the west, The Xin Dynasty ends and is replaced by the TANSHUÀI DYNASTY, three new nations are created in the areas around the South Serican Sea (OKBEON, IMJEO and the NAMYU), and the Beixion confederacy expands greatly. In Avarda, the southern kingdom of Kirnvala fractures and the new states of RAYA and BANATUS are created. The Arthacians and Oroxes fall under Apamaean rule once again, who also annex Nenakia back from Tymria. The Second Tyhrrus-Qarnenak war ends with the ruin of Qarnenak's empire, with the SOPHON and NEDUMI kingdoms breaking free and the nation being reduced to a small area around the capital. Tyhrrus is now the master of the eastern Thalmedic sea, ruling from Haemos to the Tavaric Ocean.

Theyll be making an appearance soon.

Awesome, I was trying to figure out where they'd potentially crop-up and settle, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Here's my hypothesis; Assuming your world has its own version/type of peoples like the Indo-Europeans (a horse domesticating, chariot riding, war-bringing peoples from a warm steppe region), I can only think that they would invade and settle north of the Albals and into the plains, possibly creating newer cultures around the Rim later and, as the climate warms up(?) they might further migrate to Yseia and north into southern Thule. Historically in OTL, the Corded Ware cultures went north because the climate there allowed for agriculture of barley, wheat, etc. And those cultures would later form into the Germanic tribes Tacitus wrote about.

I do also wonder if, assuming everything said above is true in some regard, if there is going to be a Great Migration similar to the one that brought about the Germanic wars and the eventual fall of Rome...

All that aside, do you have plans of drawing up a cultural/ethnic map of Tellurus? I've been watching your work for some time now and I must say, it's all really fascinating! Please keep doing what you do, I love your world.

Avardo-Hatarans.png

Not sure if this is at all what you had planned or already in mind, but I decided to try my hand at a broad (mostly guesswork) map of the Avardo-Hataran settlements over time.

Edit: Added more estimated settlements in Avarda. Also changed the time frames of the supposed settlements.

Last edited: