Television Not Invented...

NapoleonXIV

Banned
For god's sake man, I've seen some horrible dystopias proposed here but a world without TV??

WHAT KIND OF SICK HORRIBLE MIND ARE YOU ANYWAY??

Cable radio?? Children with imaginations? A generation that actually appreciates MUSIC???

Why doesn't it work? Do movies work? Or is it something about persistence of vision. (If it doesn't work in humans we'd see just a blur at a movie screen, but then can we see at all, or do we actually see a series of still pictures in our heads??)

Nothing was inevitable. However, if you plausibly want to un-invent TV, you'd have to do without a number of other things as well (computer interfaces, in fact very likely all high-speed computers, fax and maybe even radio - though the last mot necessarily). Otherwise, how would you explain such an obvious application of known technologies not being exploited?

I think a different development of TV - private from the start, or cable subscriber-only service - is much more interesting, but that's just me.

Only private TV? Well, with governments wanting to use the media for propaganda, that's quite unlikely (or at least one of the stations would get under government control to some degree)

And without TV? Well, it would be like the afternoons in my childhood. Back in the good old 70s (and early 80s) the stations here in Germany didn't even start to broadcast until 4 p.m. (only "Testbild" :) )
And even after that, there were only 3 programs to choose (not really any private stations back then) and so the TV often remained silent.
So I actually can contemplate about it...
Those times weren't bad... more time to play, to read, no cartoon shows distracting from homework...

later TV or different TV

WngMasterD said:
WI television was not invented, and isnt today? What are the political and social effects?

As it was pointed, it is hard to forego the TV with all the technology available.

Let's look at this in some detail. The early TVs were mechanical, with rotating
disks, perforated in a spiral pattern. There was some programming in UK in the
1920-30's. Extremely poor resolution.

Important milestone - the TV'ing of the Olimpics in Germany 1936. Evidently,
some people realized that is is an excellent propaganda took, especially when
combined with entertainment. Just before the WWII some experimental
broadcasting in the US. The war stopped it and delayed the mass-TV by
about 10 yrs.

Now, the obvious alternatives:
- the mechanical TV gets perfected and in the 30's we start having public
broadcast, soon TV's become a part the furniture in every home... Good
speakers (and demagogs) gain in politics. But we also get live footage from
the WWII. This unevitably sppeds up the development of electronic (lamp
based). The information technology gets jumpstarted 10 yers earlier.
- if we delay the develoment of electrical TV's in the 30-40's nothing much
is different - they will not be introduced to the public en masse until appr.
10 yrs later anyway.
- if we delay the TV in the 50-60's, indeed Nikson wins. :)

I don't find any of these alternatives very interesting. :(