Telephone Map Game: 2nd Edition

I'm waiting a bit before starting Edition 3, and also I'm open to any suggestions to make things more interesting. Otherwise, it will probably be very similar to this edition.

Maybe have it so that instead of the previous map the mapmaker has access to the previous two maps so that there would be more connectivity and cohesiveness but still room for development and differences.

Maybe have it so that instead of the previous map the mapmaker has access to the previous two maps so that there would be more connectivity and cohesiveness but still room for development and differences.
Eh, I think that starts to go against the spirit of Telephone map games. I love it when games end up producing a cohesive timeline, but that's just a happy accident that doesn't need to be coerced into being more common.

Yeah, I think the same too
Just an idea for a DNA type game. Basically instead of a player receiving two maps back. It forms a weaving chain. So player 1 sends his map to player 3 and player 4. Player 2 sends his map to player 3 and player 4. Player 3 has to make a map using player 1 and 2 and sends their's on to the next two. So each group gets two distinct threads that stay connected.
Untitled Diagram.png

Just an idea for a DNA type game. Basically instead of a player receiving two maps back. It forms a weaving chain. So player 1 sends his map to player 3 and player 4. Player 2 sends his map to player 3 and player 4. Player 3 has to make a map using player 1 and 2 and sends their's on to the next two. So each group gets two distinct threads that stay connected.
View attachment 502083
I like the idea of this, but I think it'd make more sense to just have a "vanilla" version for the third round.

Hmm.. maybe something to encourage geographic variety, I think there is a tendency to get stuck in 1 location. In edition 1 there was a big focus on the new world and in edition 2 there was a lot of western Europe, both having relatively small representation of east Asia. Maybe a you can't see the all the previous maps but can see the part of the globe they depicted?

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Hmm.. maybe something to encourage geographic variety, I think there is a tendency to get stuck in 1 location. In edition 1 there was a big focus on the new world and in edition 2 there was a lot of western Europe, both having relatively small representation of east Asia. Maybe a you can't see the all the previous maps but can see the part of the globe they depicted?

The reason being that the Americas has the most potential for AH, seeing as how its... the New World after all. I feel like a POD that is set back much more would be really interesting.

View attachment 502083
That's an ...interesting proposal. However, things would get pretty messy real fast. There's no guarantee that two of the parallel maps won't override each other...
The reason being that the Americas has the most potential for AH, seeing as how its... the New World after all. I feel like a POD that is set back much more would be really interesting.
I mean, I did include a migration era PoD... I could always try to go much further back, however, things get silly and excesively convergent, so idk if it's a good idea.

I mean, I did include a migration era PoD... I could always try to go much further back, however, things get silly and excesively convergent, so idk if it's a good idea.
Why don't you make it so where you have to show an alt migration/the aftermath of it on your map?

Honestly, I liked the way things turned out in the second version. Three lists gave it enough variety. One stayed pretty close to POD, another drifted more, and the last one was off the rails. The fact that these sorts of differences come organically is part of the spirit of a telephone game, and comparing all of these maps is good fun.

I'd say we just keep it as is and try to get more commitment from everyone so it runs smoothly. (Not sure of the best way to do that).

Honestly, I liked the way things turned out in the second version. Three lists gave it enough variety. One stayed pretty close to POD, another drifted more, and the last one was off the rails. The fact that these sorts of differences come organically is part of the spirit of a telephone game, and comparing all of these maps is good fun.

I'd say we just keep it as is and try to get more commitment from everyone so it runs smoothly. (Not sure of the best way to do that).
The problem is that it takes so long to get to your turn. I certainly found that by the time it was my turn I'd almost forgotten I was playing this. Add to that the fact that you have no idea when it will be your turn and you can easily end up with it being your turn when you've lost interest and are busy.

The problem is that it takes so long to get to your turn. I certainly found that by the time it was my turn I'd almost forgotten I was playing this. Add to that the fact that you have no idea when it will be your turn and you can easily end up with it being your turn when you've lost interest and are busy.
Yeah, but it's not like we can do much. I've seen telephone mapgames where each person has a whole month to make their map. If we want people to do good looking non-worlda maps, we need to give them at least a week.
And, really, in most mapgames you can't predict with much precision when your turn will be.

Yeah, but it's not like we can do much. I've seen telephone mapgames where each person has a whole month to make their map. If we want people to do good looking non-worlda maps, we need to give them at least a week.
And, really, in most mapgames you can't predict with much precision when your turn will be.
I agree that its not something that can really be changed, just commenting that it is less than convenient, especially for this game which overlapped with the start of school/uni.

And actually, most map games have pretty short turns so its easier as there's less leeway in turn length.

I certainly wouldn't mind a month long telephone map game but I image it would need people who are pretty invested. Round 2 I think works the best for having variety with connected threads.

I’d rather have enterriano manage something like this in a centralized way. If we suddenly start getting multiple threads based on this, that will probably dilute the quality of these maps.
Agree. Unless he doesn't want to host the game.

I'm going to start edition 3, I just want to give everyone some resting time, so that no one gets bored out of repetition or something. I'll start it in a few days
Would you mind posting in here once it up. I have this thread set to notifications and that way I dont have to worry that I missed it