Telephone Map Game: 2nd Edition

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Entrerriano, Sep 4, 2019.

1. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

My map doesn’t show

@Entrerriano

[​IMG]

Anyway love XFE’s and Zalezky’s map, also qazdr6’s for his effort he put in it, even if it’s a bit convergent

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Betelgeuse, XFE, merkmuds and 4 others like this.
  2. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

Your map was wonderful too, along with XFE’s some of the best pixel art maps i’ve Ever seen, also prefer the list 3, but I liked the France-as-HRE thing that was going on at the start of list 2.

Seems like Vylon Disigma reused the same basemap for the 2 other maps, which makes it understandable how such a great map could be made so quickly

Vylon Disigma likes this.
  3. Hindustani Person Bomb-throwing anarchist

I cannot wait for the third edition!

4. Entrerriano Well-Known Member

Yes, I just noticed that.. that's a result of me forgetting that the forums have a 20 image per post limit (possibly to avoid spam), so I had written the whole thing in a single post. I'll fix it right now

5. Vylon Disigma Well-Known Member

Exactly, I wanted to do a terrain feature, religious feature and a political feature, i i couldn't think of a way of doing more sensibly than just having them be on separate maps.

6. Entrerriano Well-Known Member

Friendly reminder that @Thanosaekk included a Polish Raj in his map, thanks to @Fred Guo's mentioning of it.

GamerGeek and Fred Guo like this.
  7. Vylon Disigma Well-Known Member

Also great maps everyone, personal favorites were those from, @Yanranay, @Falkanner , @zalezsky and @Bicentius, though i Must say I'm a bit disappointed that the Elephant Kingdom in the south of my map didn't get a second map. Also list 2 virtually all of those maps could be in the same universe, for instance I'm pretty sure that @KaiserEmu's baie aux baleines colony is the same as my Saint Lois colony and their whole map could also be a outcome of @Yanranay & @gerhardqwe's Anti-Chinese Coalition war, and I don't think any contradict @Entrerriano's map either, I'm really impressed.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    zalezsky likes this.
  8. Bicentius Well-Known Member

The basemap itself is insanely detailed. Did you have it prepared? How long did it take to make?

9. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

The basemap is basically traced over a Pergamon atlas map of Africa if I had to guess.

Some people just can trace quickly, they set aside a few hours, put a podcast or music and just trace very quickly. Frankly virtually all maps ever done by this community could be done within a week (research not included) or you’re quick and efficient, i’ve Seen how quickly people like Zalezky, ReagentAh or Ernak can draw maps and it’s astounding.

10. Uebeltank Just wanting a better world.

Some really great maps in this.

I still love the idea of a ATL Frankish Empire.

GBehm likes this.
  11. Vylon Disigma Well-Known Member

TheKutKu is absolutly correct, took me a couple days to do the base, 3 if you include the topographical features on land.

12. Bicentius Well-Known Member

Yeah, was just wondering what exactly the traces were based on.

I used a snip of google earth to get that angled orthographic projection and the map took about two days.

I guess for detail, the pergamon atlas seems like the best.

GamerGeek likes this.
  13. GamerGeek Allohistorius Primus

Technically that's not orthographic, because orthographic is from infinite distance and I'm fairly certain Google Earth is still a globe (as is Google Maps for desktop)

14. Bicentius Well-Known Member

My understanding was that an orthographic projection simply projected the shapes on the sphere directly onto a tangent or secant plane. I guess it’s a bit more nuanced than that.

15. Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

So where do we go from here?

16. Entrerriano Well-Known Member

I'm waiting a bit before starting Edition 3, and also I'm open to any suggestions to make things more interesting. Otherwise, it will probably be very similar to this edition.

GamerGeek and Betelgeuse like this.
  17. Gokbay A Law Student

Maybe have it so that instead of the previous map the mapmaker has access to the previous two maps so that there would be more connectivity and cohesiveness but still room for development and differences.

GBehm and Betelgeuse like this.
  18. Minnesota_Nationalist Holy Roman Apologist

Eh, I think that starts to go against the spirit of Telephone map games. I love it when games end up producing a cohesive timeline, but that's just a happy accident that doesn't need to be coerced into being more common.

19. Entrerriano Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the same too

Vylon Disigma likes this.
  20. Selvetrica Duke of Corn

Just an idea for a DNA type game. Basically instead of a player receiving two maps back. It forms a weaving chain. So player 1 sends his map to player 3 and player 4. Player 2 sends his map to player 3 and player 4. Player 3 has to make a map using player 1 and 2 and sends their's on to the next two. So each group gets two distinct threads that stay connected.
    Untitled Diagram.png