Telephone Map Game: 2nd Edition

I have to say Serbia in Hungary surprised me some along with "Graecia" implying a Latinised Greece. I was originally thinking of making a map of global Sparticist nations ala the Comintern/Warsaw Pact but later decided to do a map of Europe. Reepicheep had not put a date on their map and neither did I but due to the style of their map I imagined the map to be modern. Latinised Greece led me to create a more Hellenic nation in Anatolia and I also decided to keep Islam limited to a smaller area. Scandinavia is a close analogue of our UK with Anglia as Ireland. Another difference to OTL is that Prussia is Baltic (and not German). Sexland I specifically added because I had recently seen several maps in the map thread with "Saxland" and such while one or two people talked about how no-one seemingly wanted to do Sexland, even though, seeing Wessex it would be where the language evolve to (probably). So I wanted to add a Sexland somewhere. The Saxon Kingdom in Europe I thought about several names (Sexland-in-Europe/Continental Sexland, Saxen, straight up Saxony) but in the end decided to go for the ethnic title for the kingdom in stead of the land title. Being a Turk, I allowed myself to add a Turkey that in my conception included Central Asia and Siberia on top of the territories seen on the map. Which in my conception would be highly Tengriist.

Anyway that being an explanation of my map I also want to say good work everyone. This was a nice experience once again.

That was truly breathtaking. The branching paths and all the different outcomes on display is really amazing. I have to say that I really like the direction list 3 went in. Definitely crazier but led to some amazing results.

I may have leaned much more into the fantasy aspect, but given that I was at the end of the line I hope it’s alright.

@XFE ‘s map is very inspiring, and I have no idea how @Vylon Disigma pulled that off in a week.

List 2.2: "Yet more Franks?"

List 3: "A Trip to the Middle East"

Map 1: @IcyCaspian
1_-_IcyCaspian.png

Map 2: @TheKutKu

"Well i noticed the large byzantine empire, so i guessed a POD could be a Manzikert, i also noticed one of the country at the south wasn't labelled so i took liberties and thought it was the Seljuk or successor, and i assumed they would go more into the caucasus if they can't go deep into Anatolia, then some Turkish general secedes Rûm sultanate-style and establish a turkish empire around the caucasus and armenian highland, pushing more Armenians into Cilicia. I also butterflied away the mongols due to the early POD. Also i guess the Turks would manage to settle the fertile georgian plains, and become a sizeable population there if the Plague killed half of the Georgians."

Map 3: @XFE
3_-_XFE.png

"The Kutku’s map featured a Cicilian Armenia that went on a reconquest spree far into Seljuk territory, reclaiming the Armenian highlands. I’m not especially familiar with the 13th Century Middle East, but the magnitude of the reconquest quickly made me think of Alexander the Great.
Taking the idea to its extreme and logical conclusions, we'd end up with a multiethnic Christian, Armenian empire lording a over Perso-Arabic majority. Focusing in on the Alexandrian parallels, the Armenian Empire might well meld Greek political traditions (inherited from its rule of Cilicia) and Persian cultural traditions (with well over a millenia of cultural osmosis) into one. Like Alexander before them, the Armenian Kings would style themselves as latter-day Achaemenids. However, all empires must end. There is a day that the well-oiled Armenian machine must sputter and die, and when Greek, Persian and Armenian can no longer tolerate one another...
Where to go aesthetically? My mapping style has evolved quite a bit since working on the Islamic Incas and my first Austria-wank. Notably, I chose to include elevation in this map and make good use of Paint.NET's opacity function. Choosing some comfortable colors was also fun to do, but in retrospect, I should have better planned the color coding. Then again, I have Uni applications to deal with, so whatever.
Note the Magic: the Gathering cards in the corner. To make this map stand out, I decided to include Risk/Twilight Struggle board game elements. Elevation is admittedly a weird aesthetic choice for a board game, but the rule of cool is paramount--and so it was that years after the Armenian Empire was dead and buried, an Iranian board game company would make a game depicting the Armenia's downfall.
The map is fresh out of the oven at the time of writing, and there are some hints scattered throughout the map I hope zalesky and Falkanner pick up on.
The Saoshyant bomb: a nuclear device invented by Iranian rebels
The use of Persian numerals: Perhaps Persian mathematicians have a more long-lasting cultural impact?
The abundance of provinces in the Empire's West: A sign of neglect in the East?
Mention of the Mughals: The Mughals of Babur Shah would likely have been butterflied. Might this be a Persianized Mongol Empire?

Now behold my pitiful attempt at narrative.

map went to both Falkanner and Zalezsky

Thanks to everyone that took part in this crazy thing, despite the curse of list 1 or the mess that updating the list was for me! I must say there are some really amazing maps here, so congrats to everyone!

For Edition 3, I want to make things simplier but also maybe introduce something new, so stay tuned for the next round!

My map doesn’t show

@Entrerriano

R1dlhOO.png

Anyway love XFE’s and Zalezky’s map, also qazdr6’s for his effort he put in it, even if it’s a bit convergent

Last edited:
That was truly breathtaking. The branching paths and all the different outcomes on display is really amazing. I have to say that I really like the direction list 3 went in. Definitely crazier but led to some amazing results.

I may have leaned much more into the fantasy aspect, but given that I was at the end of the line I hope it’s alright.

@XFE ‘s map is very inspiring, and I have no idea how @Vylon Disigma pulled that off in a week.

Your map was wonderful too, along with XFE’s some of the best pixel art maps i’ve Ever seen, also prefer the list 3, but I liked the France-as-HRE thing that was going on at the start of list 2.

Seems like Vylon Disigma reused the same basemap for the 2 other maps, which makes it understandable how such a great map could be made so quickly

Your map was wonderful too, along with XFE’s some of the best pixel art maps i’ve Ever seen, also prefer the list 3, but I liked the France-as-HRE thing that was going on at the start of list 2.

Seems like Vylon Disigma reused the same basemap for the 2 other maps, which makes it understandable how such a great map could be made so quickly
Exactly, I wanted to do a terrain feature, religious feature and a political feature, i i couldn't think of a way of doing more sensibly than just having them be on separate maps.

Also great maps everyone, personal favorites were those from, @Yanranay, @Falkanner , @zalezsky and @Bicentius, though i Must say I'm a bit disappointed that the Elephant Kingdom in the south of my map didn't get a second map. Also list 2 virtually all of those maps could be in the same universe, for instance I'm pretty sure that @KaiserEmu's baie aux baleines colony is the same as my Saint Lois colony and their whole map could also be a outcome of @Yanranay & @gerhardqwe's Anti-Chinese Coalition war, and I don't think any contradict @Entrerriano's map either, I'm really impressed.

Last edited:
Exactly, I wanted to do a terrain feature, religious feature and a political feature, i i couldn't think of a way of doing more sensibly than just having them be on separate maps.

The basemap itself is insanely detailed. Did you have it prepared? How long did it take to make?

The basemap itself is insanely detailed. Did you have it prepared? How long did it take to make?

The basemap is basically traced over a Pergamon atlas map of Africa if I had to guess.

Some people just can trace quickly, they set aside a few hours, put a podcast or music and just trace very quickly. Frankly virtually all maps ever done by this community could be done within a week (research not included) or you’re quick and efficient, i’ve Seen how quickly people like Zalezky, ReagentAh or Ernak can draw maps and it’s astounding.

Yeah, was just wondering what exactly the traces were based on.

I used a snip of google earth to get that angled orthographic projection and the map took about two days.

I guess for detail, the pergamon atlas seems like the best.

Yeah, was just wondering what exactly the traces were based on.

I used a snip of google earth to get that angled orthographic projection and the map took about two days.

I guess for detail, the pergamon atlas seems like the best.
Technically that's not orthographic, because orthographic is from infinite distance and I'm fairly certain Google Earth is still a globe (as is Google Maps for desktop)

Technically that's not orthographic, because orthographic is from infinite distance and I'm fairly certain Google Earth is still a globe (as is Google Maps for desktop)
My understanding was that an orthographic projection simply projected the shapes on the sphere directly onto a tangent or secant plane. I guess it’s a bit more nuanced than that.