Tehuantepec Canal Viability

Given 19th century technology, building techniques how viable would a Tecuantepec canal, without addressing for political stability or lack of it, be? What would the costs be of such a project?

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Donor
Oh, I did this in a story! So long ago I can't even remember it, but I did research it. Dancing something?

IMHO the potential of doing it really depends on the ATL - I mean if it was as things are in our world, than it really doesn't look viable. Panama was the shortest route between two points, Nicaragua was perhaps the easiest route (you're basically linking lakes). Building a Mexico canal in our world where Mexico is often an unstable basket case, cutting it through a much longer distance, does not seem like something anyone would do.

BUT in an ATL where things are different, geopolitics different, Mexico perhaps more stable, then it might make sense, especially if the Southern routes are closed to a power which has the money, the will, and the influence to go through Mexico

So the numbers I found were that in 1842: "The proposed canal was to be 50 miles long and to have 161 locks, to be built at an estimated cost $17,000,000." And that was the proposal so the true cost would probably be much higher.

Grey Wolf

Donor
So the numbers I found were that in 1842: "The proposed canal was to be 50 miles long and to have 161 locks, to be built at an estimated cost $17,000,000." And that was the proposal so the true cost would probably be much higher.

I wonder at what speed a freighter or a cruiser could have traversed this?

I also wonder at the locks. I suppose they reflect the undulating landscape. One way to avoid them would be to dig the whole canal deeper

Most definitely. These projects especially when under government direction tend to get massive in terms of expense. Thanks for the info!

Oh, I did this in a story! So long ago I can't even remember it, but I did research it. Dancing something?

IMHO the potential of doing it really depends on the ATL - I mean if it was as things are in our world, than it really doesn't look viable. Panama was the shortest route between two points, Nicaragua was perhaps the easiest route (you're basically linking lakes). Building a Mexico canal in our world where Mexico is often an unstable basket case, cutting it through a much longer distance, does not seem like something anyone would do.

BUT in an ATL where things are different, geopolitics different, Mexico perhaps more stable, then it might make sense, especially if the Southern routes are closed to a power which has the money, the will, and the influence to go through Mexico

My thought was a largely joint Anglo-American-Mexico funded project.Britian and US companies/governments paying for about 3/4 of the project and Mexico 1/4. The geopolitical situation I was musing would be a positively predisposed Mexican government under Juarez after American forces defeat the French Intervention the Americans would have helped Juarez consolidate power. Also, Americans had no civil war or a very brief insurrection with minimal casualties/destruction that led to them being able to respond in favor of Mexico.

Grey Wolf

Donor
My thought was a largely joint Anglo-American-Mexico funded project.Britian and US companies/governments paying for about 3/4 of the project and Mexico 1/4. The geopolitical situation I was musing would be a positively predisposed Mexican government under Juarez after American forces defeat the French Intervention the Americans would have helped Juarez consolidate power. Also, Americans had no civil war or a very brief insurrection with minimal casualties/destruction that led to them being able to respond in favor of Mexico.

Cool idea. Meets the requirements. An ATL where this project makes sense and the cost is something that those paying in the short term get back in the long term