Taiwan: Byzantium's and China's illigetimate heir?

Okay, here is the idea that's been bugging me all day. My idea is that during the 13th and potentially the 14th centuries, a large number of Greeks (yes, I know that during this era the Greeks thought of themselves as Romans I'm just using Greek became Byzantium is the Greek half of the Roman Empire), and by large number I mean large enough that lumped together they have a reasonable chance of maintaining their ethnic background but at the same time not a ridiculously large number, get transferred to East Asia. I see the transfer occurring due to the slave trade and adventure seekers using the Mongolian Empire as a way to either explore or get away from the constant fighting in Europe. However they get there, small communities of Greeks end up in China under the Yuan Dynasty who remember their heritage. This plan also calls for a few Eastern Orthodox priests in these communities with some books on the Greeks heritage.

Skip to the fall of the Yuans and the ascension of the Hongwu Emperor. During the chaos surrounding Hongwu's ascension the tiny Greek community in China flees for safety to relatively empty Taiwan. This Greek community reaches back in its history and founds the city-state of Kirstopolis (roughfly city of Christ) with a government based on a modified version of the Roman Republic. The next two hundred years for Kirstopolis is spent expanding and abosorping the indigionus tribes on Taiwan until Kirstopolis rules the entire island.

Note that during this period Kirstopolis is technically a vassel of the Ming under China's tribute system. This works to Kirstopolis's advantage since they have traders throughout China and the far east who are able to collect some of the useful inventions in the area that historically would have fallen into disuse. Also during this period Kirstopolis becomes a major base for missionaries who spread the Gospel with varing levels of success throughout southeast asia and Indonesia.

The arrival of the Europeans in the far east makes things interesting for Kirstopolis and the Europeans. Initially thought to be the kingdom of Prester John, the Europeans inter into negotiations with Kirstopolis. Taiwan then becomes the 'gateway' of the far east. This is because the Europeans want asian goods but most asian nations don't want to trade with the europeans. However, the asian peoples are willing to trade with the greeks of Kirstopolis whom they have a grudging acceptance of and and are willing to buy European goods through the greeks.

Actually, for an accurate Greek translation, it would be more like "Hristopólis" in Romanized Greek, of which in Taiwanese it would be "Iâ-sơ Siâⁿ-chhī" (literally "Jesus City"), which could be easily shortened to something like "Iâ-siâⁿ".

Let me think about it for a bit, then I'll get back to you with an answer.

Actually, for an accurate Greek translation, it would be more like "Hristopólis" in Romanized Greek, of which in Taiwanese it would be "Iâ-sơ Siâⁿ-chhī" (literally "Jesus City"), which could be easily shortened to something like "Iâ-siâⁿ".

Let me think about it for a bit, then I'll get back to you with an answer.

Well, I doubt Peh-Oe-Ji (Taiwanese transliteration) would even develop given that it was in part due to the huge influx of Minnan speakers to Taiwan that caused the development of such a system.

Seeing as the OP posits a mass Greek immigration to the island, Han immigration from the southern provinces might be butterflied due to cultural and linguistic incompatibility. However if a Han population still does eventually overwhelm that of the hypothetical Greek population, you might get an interesting transliteration in Greek script.

It is a very interesting idea but I find it a rather improbable/unlikely one to have occurred.