Swimming against the current: The untold story of Watchmen (1994)

Way to the Greenlight (Part 1)

JCVD

Banned
Joel Silver (Producer; Executive Producer): When you hear the name Watchmen nowadays, the common citizen quickly recognizes it: One of the biggest name on the Pop Culture, characters that teenagers and adults can identify even if they didn't read the comics or watched the movie... But before the movie, talk about Watchmen it was like talking about the Blue Box to anyone who wasn't interested in computing.

Lawrence Gordon (Producer; Executive Producer): It was a bet where we have everything to lose, where ironically Fox became our biggest rival, where the author didn't want to know anything about us, and everything looked like a problem.

James Cameron (Director; Producer): The Abyss was a nightmare of shooting because it required a level of shooting that it hadn't been done ever. It was a nightmare because it was the first kind of its genre... For that reason, I'm still saying that Watchmen was the hardest shooting I've ever done: Because we fought the same problems I had on The Abyss on what should've been a peaceful and easy production.

Lawrence Gordon: There were days where I just regretted having bought the rights of that comic.

James Cameron: It was like if God had decided don't make it easy the production of this movie.

Joel Silver: It was... the oddest years on my career.

In 1986, the comic book publisher DC Comics published the first number of one of the most famous comics on the Contemporary history, Watchmen. The work to adapt a 338-pages story on a full-length film would take 8 years, and continuous problems would try to delay or cancel the project. This is how this adaptation was able to exist.

Swimming against the current: The Untold Story of Watchmen.

Way to the Greenlight (Part 1)

Between 1986 and 1987, the writer Alan Moore (Collaborating with the artist Dave Gibbons and John Higgins) would publish a 12-issue series narrating a story that was different from all the options it was available in those days.

Robert C. Harvey (Author, Cartoonist): Since the times of Popeye the Sailor, all the cartoonists and writers had tried to create an answer to a simple question: What would happen if the heroes were real?. There have been some attempts to do it, like Captain America or Popeye fighting during World War II. But there was always have been a factor which nobody had thought until Alan Moore did it: What effects could have their presence on the world? Not like "Fewer criminals on the streets", but like on politics, on the society...

Richard Reynolds (Author, "Superheroes: A Modern Mythology"): Watchmen can be seen at the beginning as just the story of superheroes living in a real-like society. But when deeper we get into the story, bigger are the issues and reflections that it offers to us. It asks us if there is a good reason to have heroes in the society, it asks us if those who wear a suit and calls itself "hero" can be one don't care what moves it; it asks us if a hero must risk lives for something bigger and better...

It is not just the story about what would happen if the heroes were real, it is also about what would happen if the heroes had lost all the reasons to be heroes. Think in which are the only heroes those days: The Comedian, a nihilist man who resolves everything with punches and weapons; Rorschach, a person who shares the ideology of fascism, clearly has some mental issues and thinks that justice is everything, even if innocents must die; and Dr. Manhattan, who once was a human but now he doesn't see any reason to be with them. Before this story, all the main characters on the comics were always the heroes, those who we defended their idea about justice and we always wanted to see them win. This was the first big story that the main heroes were... were despicable. We didn't want to see them win for once.

Robert C. Harvey: For the first time, the readers found themselves with doubts about the main characters. This was like taken of Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita or Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange: Humbert and Alex share things with the former three-character, one is that we can be fascinated about the character, but we can be aware of never share their point of views because they're getting further of our moral. This was the first time that Superman won't appear to give the readers a happy ending and hopes about the well on the world. And ironically, this series is by far the closest to be a perfect representation of "The Greek Mythology" nowadays: The main heroes on the stories aren't good people, it can be more despicable than the monsters the mythology can offer us.

But for those who investigated everything before the adaption was something real, the bought for the film rights was realized a month prior to the official release of the first issue.

Joel Silver: The main reason why Gordon bought the rights was because of me. I discovered the work of Moore on 1985 when a friend sent me some issues of a British comics anthology called "Warrior" and, on the package, there was a message when he told me about reading the story called V for Vendetta, telling me "It is a story different I've read or see before". And he was right. I've read some comics on my youth, but was mainly Flash, Shazam! and Fantastic Four. I never thought before a comic, which I saw all my life as something for kids, could tell such a serious story. But again, when the Lumière brothers made the Cinematograph, it was seen as a curiosity. But when Melies saw all the potential behind it, he created the cinema as we know it today.

Lawrence Gordon: Early on the august of 1986, Silver came to my office with an article of The Hollywood Reporter where DC Comics announced the sale to acquire the film rights of a comic series they were producing. The announcement had a little resume about the plot, which was very lazy comparing it with the story. It also showed the name of the writer and the cartoonists behind it. Silver talked about the writer, Alan Moore, and one of the previous stories he made, V for Vendetta; how he doesn't write comics or heroes as we could know. But something else called my attention: Warner, when they bought on the 70s DC Comics, they tried to keep the film rights for themselves. Rarely was the occasion where Warner did that, like happened on '82 with the film Swamp Thing, which Warner doesn't have the rights about distribution. But before discussing it, I share my doubts with Silver.

Joel Silver: So after talking like... I don't know, I think I talked for like almost an hour just for convincing him about the bought, he looked at me and tell me "I'm worried that the audience isn't interested in films about superheroes nowadays". And I couldn't blame him: the last movie of DC had been Supergirl, which was a box office bomb, and the news about the budget-cutting of the future Superman IV wasn't a quiet secret; and for the other side, days ago Howard the Duck was released, just to be quickly marked as "one of the worst movies of the year". Maybe it was because producers couldn't understand the new generation, or because they couldn’t make a convincing story, but, till 1989, make a film about a comic book wasn't the best bet to generate money.

But I had faith, and the reason was that this wasn't like Superman or similar. This has just a plot, it has a start, a crux, and an end. I ended convincing him when I said to him that we could buy it and wait to observe the reception. If it was good, then a film about it could be easily a hit on the market; if it was a fail, we would return the rights to DC, with a slight loss. Fox has a lot of films right for books, series, and foreign movies, and lots of them had never been even remembered after years.

Lawrence Gordon: We could accord a meeting with the executives to work on a contract for the end of August. And for when we ended the meeting, I was the owner of the films right of Watchmen. I agreed to pay DC Comics had to pay 185.000$ each year (Including a first payment for the year of 1986) till the production started (Starting with the pre-production), plus a percentage of the film's revenues. So, until the first day of pre-production, Joel Silver and I had invested 1.110.000$ to keep the rights.

Joel Silver: Now, with the rights under Lawrence's property, we decided to investigate how it was going to be the project. After closing the deal and realize the payment, DC Comics sent us the drafts of the first 4 issues. The first two were practically the same that everyone watched when they bought it, with maybe some last-minute changes, but nothing big; the last two were still on B&W, on waiting for the coloring. But during the reading, we realized a basic thing: This wasn't going to be a cheap production. But for the people who don't understand what we're trying to say, by then, the most expensive film had been Superman with a budget of 55 million. And we knew this story was going to need even more.

Lawrence Gordon: I read the four issues and, out of know the fact that the story was going to be a success because it really was something else, I was ready to kill Silver *Laughs*. When I saw Dr. Manhattan, I thought he was going to be the hardest part to do... But then, I read the fourth issue... And I was ready to make Silver swallow the draft on his throat.

It wasn't just Mars, it wasn't just Manhattan, it was also that glass structure he created. Stopmotion? It would take animate it YEARS. Build a real glass structure? That would eat the entire budget. Practical Effects using a miniature? It was glass, it would reflect everything on each angle, and erase it was impossible.

Joel Silver: I remember him putting the draft over the table and tell me "Joel, we can't do that. Fox would never accept to create something like that!". We haven't even started the pre-production, and we found the obstacle of the visuals. We tried to discuss ways to produce it, but he was already regretting the bought.

Lawrence Gordon: I decided to leave the comic to a side, forget it till the release of the official comic, and focus on other projects we were making. And by then, I was praying that nobody got interested in the comic and was a failure, so we could return the rights back to DC and Alan Moore. Pray to God for once on my life and get free of this.

But luckily enough, that pray wasn’t listened. In 1986, to help to promote Watchmen it was released a limited-edition of a badge display card set. That promotion helped when the limited edition quickly sold out around the country. The sales of the limited series were considered by those days one of the biggest commercial success for DC Comics, selling tens of thousands for issue, sometimes even approaching a hundred thousand issues sold. For a year, DC Comics could surpass Marvel Comics on sales thanks to the new story. Acclaimed by fans, professional critic both inside and outside of the comic industry, and even receiving the honor of being the first comic to receive a Hugo Award, fans received with joy and hope the news about 20th Century Fox had bought the rights of Watchmen, waiting with no patience a film adaptation.

Lawrence Gordon: The numbers don't lie. The comic was successful, so the movie had to be it too. But as long we read the other issues, my desperation was getting bigger. Veidt's Antarctic base, the Squid, the ship, more scenes on Mars with the glass structure... Even the simple detail of Bubastis, the genetically modified Lynx, was enough to generate stress. The thing is, for the story, we knew we could adapt it, visually... We were scared. Obviously, lots of them could easily be adapted, but others couldn't.

Joel Silver: After the series ended, Gordon and I decided to contact Alan Moore, the creator, and writer of the series, to contract him as the screenwriter of the official script. The call was short, quick, and that day we learned that Alan Moore was never interested in a film. When we present us and explained what we wanted, he simply said something like "I'm not interested in write the story of a shitty movie"...

Lawrence Gordon: We haven't started to adapt the story, and we knew the creator hated us even with no script. But we could live with it, lots of creators reject their adaptations soon or later. So, while we were working on other projects, we started contacting with screenwriters who wanted to realize a draft.

While they were working on different productions, 20th Century Studios contacted with different writers who could reduce a 338-pages comic book into a script which could be used. Writers like William Goldman, Phil Alden Robinson, Andrew Bergman, and Jeb Stuart rejected the project, being the main reason "Impossible to adapt".

Finally, in 1988, a young writer called Sam Hamm, who worked on different drafts for the future film adaptation of the DC Superhero Batman was approached by 20th Century Studios to adapt the film. The first draft was delivered to the studio and the producers in 1989. Publically, the executives didn't find any problem with the script but, privately, it was another story.

Joel Silver: It was a mess!

Lawrence Gordon: It was something like made by an amateur for a fanzine.

Joel Silver: Things were erased for no reason, things were added for no reason...

Lawrence Gordon: Lots of characters lost a lot of their personality, even with important plot points being erased or just mentioned casually.

Joel Silver: And the end... Oh, God... For a good time, it made me understand the words of Alan Moore!

Lawrence Gordon: The end was basically traveling back to the past, Ozymandias dies on the past, Dr. Manhattan avoids his own existence, breaks all the reality doing that, and Rorschach, Nite Owl, and Silk Spectre being teleported to OUR reality. *Shrugging* Simply, it had stillborn.

Joel Silver: *Sigh* But what the executives found important was something else: It was producible. It could be made with a very normal budget, but we knew what could happen with a poorly written adaptation. Superman IV had been a good example, and we didn't want to recreate something like that. So we had a sword of Damocles: We could make that script knowing that the audience will hate it, making it a box office bomb; or we couldn't make them the script and try to remake it, risking to make that the executives don't want to give green light to the project.

Lawrence Gordon: Sadly, we couldn't start with that job at the moment, we had lots of productions on our hands, so we delayed everything until we could find the time.

But what they ignored those days was that this delay would put the project on risk: After the financial failures of the films Lock Up, Family Business, and The Adventures of Ford Fairlane; the mixed reviews and moderate success of Predator 2, and the infamous over-budgeting for Die Hard 2, their reputation was over thin ice. That would lead to the idea of put the film into turnaround in 1991 after the spent of more than 1 million dollars having just a first draft...

But a tragedy changed everything...

/#/​
So, uhh... Here I am, trying to make a story. But like Jack the Ripper, let's go by pieces.
  1. Yes, I'm sucking the idea of "The Power and the Glitter" by vultan. But this won't be a copy-paste. In fact, of the main cast, just Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mark Hamill, and James Cameron will be there. Out of it, all I'll do will be different (Except one or two ideas that are really good). So, yes. If I'm writing this, is because I love that story and the way vultan wrote it.​
  2. When Lawrence Gordon, Joel Silver, and James Cameron said at the beginning that the shooting was hard... Trust me when I say I'll do everything to make it hard.​
  3. If you find weird this structure, it is because I'm trying to emulate a documentary-like style. It'll change as long as the "documentary" advances.​
  4. I'm open to ideas, reviews, corrections, and all kinds of posts (Except insults. Please, we're mature people here and we don't want hate). If you find weird some elements, please understand that the man behind this isn't a writer or a historian, he is a close-to-be chef.​
  5. I'm also open to grammar corrections. The man behind this loves and understands the English, but he a Spaniard at the end of the day.​
  6. Opinion of Zack Snyder's movie: Visually? Outstanding. Script? A failure!​

Last edited:
Way to the Greenlight (Part 2) & Polishing and Fixing: Pre-Production of Watchmen (Part 1: The Script)

JCVD

Banned
Swimming against the current: The Untold Story of Watchmen.

Way to the Greenlight (Part 2)
Extract of the award-winning documentary "N.W.A. A Cry for Justice (2002)"

Tracy Lynn Curry (The D.O.C.): The night of February 16th, while we were ending the last details for the album Niggaz4Life, Lorenzo -MC Ren- saw our faces. Those days, we were exhausted, tired... We wanted to end this album to mid-march and let it ready for a release in May. Plus, Andre -Dr. Dre- and I were discussing the situation with the group. Our manager, Jerry Heller... he wasn't the most honest man on the industry, so we both discussed with Suge Knight about starting our record label.

Lorenzo Jerald Patterson (MC Ren): I continued insisting on taking the car and enjoy a night out, going to parties, getting drunk... Like we always dreamt before all our situation finally started. Tracy and Antoine -DJ Yella- didn't want to join at the beginning, saying that they wanted to sleep. But Andre, Eric -Eazy-E- and I wanted to go. We continued insisting till they two agreed to join us. We jumped into the car and drove to different nightclubs, jumping one after one since 8 P.M. At 1 P.M, we decided to drive to West Hollywood and visit a place Antoine wanted to visit: "Whisky a Go Go". We looked at him confused, because that is a place for Rock n Roll, and we aren't precisely rockstars, but he insisted because it was like a place for those who want to triumph on the music.

Tracy Lynn Curry: We were there till they closed at 3 P.M. And by that moment, we weren't being able to drive the car. In fact, we weren't being able to do anything at that moment due to our drunkenness. So it wasn't a surprise when we decided to leave the car there and start to walk right to the beach in Santa Monica, at maybe 3 hours walking. I still have not idea what we had planned to do, but we just walked right through Beverly Hills. At a point, we just stopped next to the door of some fancy house and decided to take a moment to smoke some weed. Then, suddenly, two police cars appeared from nowhere.

Eric Lynn Wright (Eazy-E): Two police cars stop in front of us, and 5 policemen go down. They get close to us and ask us what we are doing there and we just said we were taking a walk to the beach. But they start to be hostile with us, yelling us like if we were a gang and start to demand us get down. I... I didn't tolerate that attitude on us when we were unknown kids, but at that moment... we've traveled so far to gain respect and assure that never again happened to us, so instead of trying to be polite, I looked to one of those agents and poking him with a finger, I told him "No. Fuck Tha Police". And, in a blink, he grabbed my wrist and told me "Fuck you, nigger!". That's the last thing I could remember before being knocked out.

Lorenzo Jerald Patterson: That policeman punched right into the face to Eric and left him to fall to the sidewalk, making that his head almost opened like an egg. We got angry and put in front of the officer when he drew his pistol -along with the other officers- and pointed to us. We raised our arms, and the officer continued demanding us get down. Tracy, Antoine, and I did it while they were handcuffing to Eric. The only who didn't obey the policemen was Andre... He continued denying get down because we didn't anything. We knew we did nothing except walk, but they were five guns and five batons against five drunk rappers. Andre continued discussing with the officers until one of them hit him behind the knee with a baton. Then... Then... *MC Ren starts to cry. Tears fell with no stop and has to get up from the chair and leave the room. After some minutes, he gets back and puts the microphone back* Then those five motherfuckers started hitting Andre with their batons! They didn't show any remorse, any doubt. Their eyes reflected enjoyment.

We yelled to stop them, but they ignored us. At a moment, Antoine got up and jumped over one to stop him, but another partner hit him on the backside of his head. And those two officers decided beat Antoine up!...

I regret too many things in my life, but the first on my list will be always have suggested the party night that night.

The dawn of Sunday, 17th February of 1991 would mark forever the legacy of the music and the black community. Fulfilling a false inform, the rappers Eric Lynn Wright, Andre Romelle Young, and Antoine Carraby were hospitalized with different injuries of different grades, while at the same time all the members of N.W.A. were arrested and accused of alleged obstruction of the police forces. But the nightmare hadn't ended there...

Andre Romelle Young was hospitalized in a comatose state after receiving different contusions on his head, which would originate a severe Traumatic Brain Injury. 17 hours later of his hospitalization, Andre Romelle Young was declared "Brain Death". The next day, his Life Support Devices are unplugged by petition of his family. Andre 'Dr. Dre' Romelle Young passed away at the age of 26 years the Monday, 18th February... His birthday.

Antoine Carraby would be diagnosed with different brain damages, which would translate on a complete loss of mobility on both legs and limited capacity on both hands.

Antoine Carraby: *He is seen on an electric wheelchair* I can't... completely close my hands. They don't have enough strength to grab anything, don't caring if it's heavy or soft. I can't do almost anything by myself, except move with the wheelchair... They left me like that, crippled.

O'Shea Jackson (Ice Cube): I remember that Kimberly and I were just on the couch, listening to our future son under her belly when the phone rang. I left them behind and take the call. In the beginning, I just could hear sobs and someone choking on his breath, but then I read "O'Shea, it's Eric..." I was ready to hang up the call when he continued talking "It's Andre... He's dead!"...

That moment... I live it like on slow-motion, like if it had taken hours... I couldn't believe it at the beginning, but I talked "W-W-What do you mean "He's dead!"?" and he explained to me that 5 policemen gave to Andre and Antoine such a beat that they ended hospitalized, with my friend Andre dying barely a day later... Those policemen... *tears start to fall while he looked to another side* They killed a friend. They killed OUR friend! And like that wasn't enough, they left another friend with Brain Damage and in a wheelchair for the rest of his life! Why? Because we are black. Not because they were drunk, because they smoked some weed... No, because L.A. sees that every day and never cares about it. But when they're black... The old story becomes new for the police.

Eric Lynn Wright: A night, when N.W.A. was still together, we said we were his brothers, that we would be there... But I couldn't do it.

But this murder and the attempted murder didn't intimidate or kept quiet the rappers and their fans. After the death was announced and the LAPD got sued by Ruthless, protests started March 1st, 1991 on L.A led by the members of N.W.A, including the former member Ice Cube. Two days later, the story would repeat with the beating to Rodney King, a Taxi Driver. 9 police officers of the LAPD were arrested, but the movement had started.

/#/​

Lawrence Gordon: For months, protests shook the entire country. You switched on the TV to see the news... Protests on New Orleans, protests on New York City, protests on Detroit, protests on Des Moines, protests on Reno, protests on Minneapolis... I remember to drive through the streets on L.A and see people protesting. Some protested peacefully, trying to give a message of peace; but others... others had in mind that if peace hadn't worked on the past, maybe the violence could work.

Joel Silver: An evening, going back home, a huge protest broke out on the street. The police, initially, were trying to dissuade that crowd but it wasn't working. Suddenly, rubber bullets started to fly around the crowd, scaring everyone, and making them run afraid of their lives. I had to bend my seat, move to the back of my car, and duck covering my head because people were running over my car. After about what I felt an eternity, silence went back... The windshield was completely broken and with blood, and people were still hiding on the sides of the car. For that moment, I felt myself like in the comic. For a moment, now I completely understood the attitude of the citizens against the heroes.

That wave of disappointment, melancholy, frustration, hidden resentment... That wave woke up something that people had forgotten: Sometimes we don't want a message of hope to keep us calm, we want a reminder of why we're angry and why we should still be angry... And that was how Watchmen was greenlighted.

Lawrence Gordon: In September 1991, we reunited back again with the executives of 20th Century Studios to convince them about greenlighting the project. They asked us about why they should give green light to the project and product this movie, and we talked about how this comic, this story reflected our situation nowadays: How the rage of the people for a never-delivered good protection by part of the law finally exploded, how those who have to protect us are being unable to realize their job, how much we wish our "American dream" but when you have you see something different...

Joel Silver: ...That this is a story we need now. I told them "Batman and Superman give us hope, give us a reason to be peaceful. Watchmen remind us why being peaceful ended with Martin Luther King with a bullet on his head." I know that it was a mix between Gordon and me, but I like to think that this exact quote left a mark on them. After a pause where the executives discuss for an hour, they agreed to give green light to the project. They told us that if we could assure a pair of big names before April 1992, then they would give us enough money for the movie: 100.000.000$

Lawrence Gordon: We get frozen when we read the paper. 100.000.000$, the highest budget on our history by then. The highest amount we controlled was between 1989-1990 while we worked on Die Hard 2, and that was 70.000.000$. We had now the highest budget on the history on our hands. We signed the contract with Fox and, at the moment we abandoned the meeting, we hugged between us, celebrating.

Polishing and Fixing: Pre-Production of Watchmen (Part 1: The Script)

Lawrence Gordon: We had 7 months, so we decided to start from the beginning: Fix the screenplay. We decided to replace Sam Hamm and look for someone who could adapt better the script, so we contacted different writers who had worked adapting and understanding characters of different franchises. After weeks of search, a man called John Shirley, who had worked on TV writing for cartoons like The Real Ghostbusters, Robocop, and Defenders of the Earth was chosen to re-adapt the story on a script. He took about three weeks to re-adapt it on a 231-page script.

Joel Silver: To understand us: A page of the script must represent between a minute or two approx. This script was practically 4 hours long... And believe it or not, it was almost perfect because the atmosphere and story were well captured... Sadly, we had two big problems.

The first one, the script was boring. People know that Watchmen isn't an action comic, the difference is that a comic is something you can give the option to read at your rhythm. In a movie, the viewer must be observing the entire length with no option to stop. This script adapted much better the story, but it felt like a Western movie: It took an eternity till something happens. In this version, the Dr. Manhattan scene, from the TV-Scandal until the creation of the Glass Structure on Mars, took 45 pages! 45 minutes just following a blue naked man talking to himself on Mars. At that point, I'm sure a lot of people would have forgotten the plot of the movie.

And the second problem was the characters. The comic represents the Crimebusters as average, everyday people. They don’t have super-powers, they don't have Olympic abilities, they can feel the pain... But this story, when the people wear their suits, it is almost as if they had taken Captain America's Serum. They could make jumps with the grace of Batman, they could give a beat like in the WWE... The first scene on this version was showing us the attack to The Comedian, and on that scene, The Comedian looked like a freaking monster! There were descriptions about how he could break concrete with his bare fists and that he actually gave a challenge to Ozymandias before that the age started affecting him.

Also, the script showed us a version of The Comedian and Rorschach too... acceptable. Let me explain it: The Comedian is a very unstable person like the scene in Vietnam showed us that he raped a Vietnamese woman, let her pregnant and killed her when she attacked him, and even dared to give part of the blame to Manhattan just because he didn't stop them. But the script showed us someone more like... melancholic, like a person who doesn't want to see the person as it is, but he decides still going as The Comedian. And Rorschach... That script made us see him as the hero, as the voice of reason, that he is right all the time... But on the comic, it is clear that Rorschach isn’t an acceptable person. He's fascist, he's crazy and he'll kill you to keep justice on the streets, even if your crime is a minor one. The thing is that, when they both do horrible things, John Shirley's version made us see it like something forgettable, like "Nah, just an attempt of rape, nothing out of place there."

Lawrence Gordon: The script had problems, but we had finally found the way to follow. We just needed someone to compress the story on a more acceptable length and re-fix it the characters. It was November when we found the man who fixed everything and finally gave us a good script.

Michael France (Screenwriter): I had always been a huge fan of the comics. My dream had been adapt to the big screen some of my favorite comics, like Hulk or The Punisher. So when those producers came to me, offering an opportunity to write them a script for one of the most famous comics around the world... It was obvious that I was happy to accept it.

The first I did was re-read the comic, my trade paperback copy, to refresh all the events. After the long read, I grabbed the huge script that John Shirley did, and started to read it with a pencil, an eraser, and a pencil sharpener... I understood very quickly the problem when I woke up in my armchair at 1 A.M. when I started the read and correction at 7 P.M. more or less. It was faithful to the comic, but it wasn't dynamic. It took too much to get to the point. It had good elements, but it took more time talking about things than seeing or doing them.

The first thing I had to do was, sadly, cut elements. It can be originally a comic, but first of all, it is a movie. And some elements must be reduced or cut if it isn't vital for the story. For example, the scenes where we could see the newsstand are seen, but we don't see Tales of the Black Freighter because isn't something necessary for a movie. Instead, the interaction with the seller and the teenager are connected using different situations or using the Rorschach's Diary.

After doing that, I had to re-adjust or change complete scenes. For example, the first scene on the original script is an epic fight against The Comedian. That doesn't fit with the story, so instead, looking for ideas, I came out with an idea that I had watching Psycho on TV. The film presented Marion to us for like 45 minutes just to suddenly kill her, so I had the idea of showing a basic chronology of the heroes' history just to cut abruptly to a shocked Comedian being thrown off the window and falling right to the sidewalk.

I took the entire month just realizing drafts in base of the script I had and my knowledge. The firsts were... mediocre. But after to pass a fever I had in the middle of December, more ideas came to me. And like if it was fate, I ended my last version, the one I liked more on Christmas Eve

Lawrence Gordon: After the celebration of Christmas, 27th December if I remind it well, we received the final draft of Michael France. It was, by far, the best script we could have by that moment. It was faithful but at the same time, it worked as a film. Also, at this point, Silver and I decided that we couldn't have a better script at this point. It was the most balanced between the cinema and the comic. So, ending with the odyssey of a script, we started with our new challenge: Find those big names for the film, starting with an actor and a director... And how would we know that they both practically were stick together?

Last edited: