Swedish translation help

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Behemoth, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Behemoth Still looking for Leviathan Donor

This help thread is tied to another thread in the before 1900 forum. https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/information-on-anton-monier.410032/

After doing a bit of searching, I may have found a bit of information on the individual in question. However, I am not overly confident in the accuracy of a lot of the free translators online.

I am looking for somebody who can translate a text from an older encyclopedia that was written in what appears to be Swedish. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Behemoth Still looking for Leviathan Donor

And what I could get from the text:

Monier [månie], Munier l. Monieur, Anton,
    artilleriofficer och militäringenjör, f. i Bruxelles
    (födelse- och dödsår okända), ingick vid unga år i
    militärtjänst, besökte främmande länder i Europa,
    äfvensom Afrika och Amerika, blef efter återkomsten
    generalkvartermästare hos Generalstaterna,
    rekommenderades af dem till Gustaf Adolf, som,
    då M. 1616 inkom till Sverige med dit inbeställda
    "conducteurs och embetsmän", tog honom i sin tjänst
    samt 1617 sände honom med Stiernsköld till Livland,
    där han i juli ledde
    belägringen af Riga skans och i aug. af Pernau,
    hvarunder han sårades. M. började sedan förstärka
    Pernau, men hemkallades snart till konungen, som 2
    jan. 1618 utfärdade instruktion för sin "bestalter
    generalleutenampt uber die artillerie" och 15
    febr. s. å. förordnade honom till öfverstelöjtnant
    öfver allt arkli och "tillsijere uthöfwer alle wåre
    Slotz faste bygninger" samt gaf honom kaptenskap
    öfver ett kompani soldater. S. å. reste M. ut till
    Nederländerna, återkom senast i apr. 1619 och kallades
    då tygmästare, men återreste till Nederländerna
    1621. Han vardt naturaliserad svensk adelsman 1622
    och vice rikstygmästare 1624, hvilket år han synes
    ha återkommit till Sverige, där han fortfarande
    var generallöjtnant öfver artilleriet. 1629 sändes
    M. till Moskva för att söka förmå storfursten att
    åter börja krig mot Polen samt angående "det tyska
    väsendet". Han återkom i apr. 1630, men sändes i
    början af 1631 åter till Ryssland, hvarifrån han
    dock återkallades redan i mars s. å., enär han
    "gjort fel"; han återreste då öfver Tyskland, där
    han uppvaktade konungen, och återkom till Stockholm
    i aug. Han blef då öfverste för ett dragonregemente
    och kommendant i Stralsund samt befalldes i okt. 1632
    att förstärka fortifikationerna vid denna stad och på
    Dänholmen. Efter Gustaf Adolfs död försäkrade han Axel
    Oxenstierna om sin trohet mot Sverige, men redan 1634
    afvek han ur svenska tjänsten och gick i kursachsisk,
    hvarför hans gods sekvestrerades. En anmodan att
    återkomma till Sverige och förklara sitt beteende
    hörsammade han ej. Han lefde ännu 1640.

3. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

It is definitely Swedish, albeit slightly archaic Swedish - except for one quote, which is German, and I think one word directly imported from French. It is also written in a somewhat, ahem, complicated way.

Monieur, Anton, artillery officer and military engineer, born in Brussels (birth- and deathyears unknown), at a young age entered military service, visited foreign countries in Europe, and Africa and America, became after his homecoming quartermaster general for the States General, was recommended by them to Gustav Adolf, who, when M. arrived in Sweden in 1616 with hired "condecteurs and bureaucrats", took him in his service and in 1617 sent him with Stiernsköld to Livonia, where he in July lead the siege of Riga fortress and in Augusti Pernau, wherein he was injured. M. thereafter began to fortify Pernau, but was soon recalled to the king, who on the 2th January 1618 gave instructions for his "bestalter generalleutenampt uber die artillerie" and 15th February the same year promoted him to lieutenant colonel over all arkli (? Might it be artilleri?) and "oversight over all our castles and fortifications" (I think, this is even more archaic) as well as command over a company of soldiers. The same year M. travelled to the Netherlands, returned at the latest in April 1619 and was then called clothmaster, but returned to the Netherlands in 1621. He was a naturalised Swedish nobleman 1622 and vice-clothmaster of the realm 1624, a year in which he seems to have returned to Sweden, where he still was lieutenant general over the artillery (calling him lieutenant colonel (överstelöjtnant) then lieutenant general (generallöjtnant) without an explicit promotion is SIC). 1629 M. was sent to Moscow to persuade the Grand Duke to again start a war against Poland as well as concerning "the German matter". He returned in April 1630, but was against sent to Russia in the beginning of 1631, where he however was recalled already in March of the same year as he had "done wrong/a mistake"; he returned then through Germany, where he visited the king, and returned to Stockholm in August. He then became colonel över a dragoonregiment and commandant in Stralsund as well as was commanded in October 1632 to strengthen the fortifications by this city and on Dänholmen. After Gustaf Adolf's death he assured Axel Oxenstierna of his loyalty to Sweden, but already 1634 he left Swedish service and entered the service of the Electorate of Saxony, wherefore his mansion was sequestered. A request to return to Sweden and explain his behaviour was not followed. He was still alive 1640.

Makemakean, Zagan and Behemoth like this.
  4. Behemoth Still looking for Leviathan Donor

I appreciate the help. The text was described as a raw OCR text from a scanned image of an encyclopedia. IIRC, it was from roughly 1913.

I didn't pick up on the German or French while reading it at first. However, after looking at the quote it appears to be something akin to "best general of the artillery."

If this is the same individual that held a contract at the Crown's navy yard then he was definitely an accomplished individual.

5. jetpack Well-Known Member

The unknown word "arkli" has a page on Wikipedia https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkli. I have had about 5 hours instruction in Swedish, so I can't read it. But I think Google says that "arkli" which originally meant a building for storing bows and crossbows. Its meaning got more general later, but I don't know if it generalized to refer to military supplies in general, or a building that hold military supplies in general. Either way, this guy was in charge of all of them. Heavy firearms, ammunition, hand guns, and their accessories.

6. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

Ah, yes, you are right. It is apparently what that clothmaster thing refers to.

7. Lord High Executioner Is also the very model of a modern Major-General

Clothmaster is probably not the ideal translation as "tyg" here does not refer to cloth (in fact, as the wikipedia article points out, it specifically
    does NOT refer to cloth) and means, basically, "stuff, things".
    It's the -tyg of fartyg (thing for travelling; ship) and verktyg (thing for works; tool).

LordInsane likes this.
  8. Behemoth Still looking for Leviathan Donor

So something that might be considered a quartermaster, perhaps?

9. Lord High Executioner Is also the very model of a modern Major-General

Something like that, possibly with "Royal" in front of it.

10. jetpack Well-Known Member

Summary of the machine translation of that tygmateriel Wikipedia article:

Tyg refers to weapons, ammo, vehicles, etc. Swedish military tradition makes a distinction between tyg and the materials a quartermaster manages (rations and clothing called "intendantur"). The distinction between tyg and intendantur is getting to be harder to define, and it makes it more difficult for the Swedish military to coordinate with other militaries. Many Swedish military units are getting rid of the distinction altogether. NATO countries use the term "ordnance" which is roughly equivalent to "tyg".

Your other post talks about him as an entrepreneur and a ship guy, and that's not coming up here.

11. Behemoth Still looking for Leviathan Donor

Unfortunately, the other thread, along with information here, is all that I have to go on in regard to information about Monier. IIRC, Monier only held the contract for work at the shipyard and had others actually building the ships. Henrik Hybertsson is one of the shipwrights that worked with him. Some of the dates seem to line up, especially in reference to his travels to Russia.

12. arctic warrior Scandinavian die-hard

Its a military depot - storagehouse for artillery and other stuff necessary for outfitting the Navy ships as you already pointed to. Hence "Tygmästare" would indeed be Quatermater. We have the same kind of funny stuff in Danish "Tøjhus" which directly translates into "Clotheshouse" which in fact was the armed forces major depot at Copenhagen and still exist as a museum. :)

13. Behemoth Still looking for Leviathan Donor

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. It definitely makes conducting research and writing the TL a lot easier.