Sweden keeps Guadeloupe (& St. Barthelemy)

This was one of the PODs in my failed multi-POD thread.

so to quote myself from the thread:

"1: Sweden keeps St. Barthelemy AND Guadeloupe [8]"

"[8] Basically Sweden never sells or gives away St. Barthelemy and Guadeloupe remains with the Swedish to the present due to them not acquiring Norway as a compensation for Finland, they don't give it back to France and they're recognised as Swedish territory by the new treaty resulting in Norwegian Independence."

So... is this plausible

(Norwegian Independence was a separate POD within the Multi-POD scenario, just ignore that for this thread.)

Oh, and just to give some background:

"By the Anglo-Swedish alliance of 3 March 1813, Britain ceded it to Sweden for a brief period of 15 months. During this time, the British administration remained in place and British governors continued to govern the island. In the Treaty of Paris of 1814, Sweden ceded Guadeloupe once more to France. An ensuing settlement between Sweden and the British gave rise to the Guadeloupe Fund. The Treaty of Vienna in 1815 definitively acknowledged French control of Guadeloupe."

This was one of the PODs in my failed multi-POD thread.

so to quote myself from the thread:

"1: Sweden keeps St. Barthelemy AND Guadeloupe [8]"

"[8] Basically Sweden never sells or gives away St. Barthelemy and Guadeloupe remains with the Swedish to the present due to them not acquiring Norway as a compensation for Finland, they don't give it back to France and they're recognised as Swedish territory by the new treaty resulting in Norwegian Independence."

So... is this plausible

(Norwegian Independence was a separate POD within the Multi-POD scenario, just ignore that for this thread.)

Oh, and just to give some background:

"By the Anglo-Swedish alliance of 3 March 1813, Britain ceded it to Sweden for a brief period of 15 months. During this time, the British administration remained in place and British governors continued to govern the island. In the Treaty of Paris of 1814, Sweden ceded Guadeloupe once more to France. An ensuing settlement between Sweden and the British gave rise to the Guadeloupe Fund. The Treaty of Vienna in 1815 definitively acknowledged French control of Guadeloupe."

Perhaps this is a nitpicking but AFAIK Guadeloupe never was ceded to Sweden. It was ceded in 1813 to "His Royal Majesty the King of Sweden, and his successor to the Swedish throne" in the order to keep Bernadotte at least partially compensated for the losses he suffered since being called to the succession of the Swedish throne: Nappy confiscated most of Bernadotte's possessions (including Princedom of Pontecorvo) after this happened but left residence in Paris and some of the country estates in which Desire preferred to live.

French did bought Guadeloupe back for 24 million francs and the money went to the king or rather to the regent (Bernadotte) who used them to pay state debts and to fund various public projects receiving from Riksdag as a compensation an annual installment of 300,000 Riksdaler, which was to be paid out in perpetuity (but actually until 1983). I suspect that this story can be at least partially a byproduct of "history according to Bernadotte" (;)): he was quite good in emphasizing his service to Sweden while never forgetting his own interests. For example, as a compensation for Pomerania Sweden received from Prussia 3.5 million thalers and release from paying compensation to Denmark. For brokering this deal Bernadotte, by a secret item of the Swedish-Prussian agreement, got 1.5 millions personally. Well, he needed the funds to maintain himself and his family.